• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

5il3nc3r

Having tons of fun leveling alts. I'm having trouble leveling Elementalist though, they're so squishy. My other characters is a Guardian and Warrior so this is quite a change. Any tips for a elementalist? D/d too fragile for leveling?

Having tons of fun leveling alts. I'm having trouble leveling Elementalist though, they're so squishy. My other characters is a Guardian and Warrior so this is quite a change. Any tips for a elementalist? D/d too fragile for leveling?

D/D is fine for levelling if you know your rotations but it can be a bit tricky. You might have better luck with a staff, it's long range and tons of AOE and you basically never leave fire attunement for max dps. Easy mode :)

Wanderer5

interestingshot_zpscd97cfcd.png

Hi all, just got the game. I am a human guardian starting at kryta and my friend has a norn ranger in the mountains, I was wondering at what point would our stories/quests become the same? It kinda sucks when I do his personal stories and only get karma.

Trey

Hi all, just got the game. I am a human guardian starting at kryta and my friend has a norn ranger in the mountains, I was wondering at what point would our stories/quests become the same? It kinda sucks when I do his personal stories and only get karma.

The race specific personal story ends around the mid twenties to around level 30. From there you cross over into the orders of Tyria. If you want to have the same personal story, you have to choose the same order.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story

There are possible spoilers in that link.

As for quests (hearts), you can do any quest in the game. There are no stipulations surrounding that content other than level possibly.

Jira

Colin referred to Heart of Maguuma as "our new region, the Heart of Maguuma". This means we can assume roughly 5 zones if you go by the current region designs in the game. With that in mind though, from how they described the jungle as a three tier system, I think that the Heart of Maguuma region will be 5 connected zones that have 3 tiers spanning through all 5 zones. It's all one gigantic connected forest that you can run along either the underground, the roots, or up on the canopies all the way through. That you can move in and out of these subsystems at will regardless of where you are in any given zone. So effectively from a content standpoint, we might be looking at 15 zones worth of content packed into 3 tiers across 5 zones. Just my speculation. When I have some time tomorrow night after work, I'll make up some kind of diagram to better explain my idea.

Grudy

Colin referred to Heart of Maguuma as "our new region, the Heart of Maguuma". This means we can assume roughly 5 zones if you go by the current region designs in the game. With that in mind though, from how they described the jungle as a three tier system, I think that the Heart of Maguuma region will be 5 connected zones that have 3 tiers spanning through all 5 zones. It's all one gigantic connected forest that you can run along either the underground, the roots, or up on the canopies all the way through. That you can move in and out of these subsystems at will regardless of where you are in any given zone. So effectively from a content standpoint, we might be looking at 15 zones worth of content packed into 3 tiers across 5 zones. Just my speculation. When I have some time tomorrow night after work, I'll make up some kind of diagram to better explain my idea.

This is what I think too. The way Colin was describing the new Jungle made it sound like a massive environment; and it makes sense to have multiple zones as I suspect we'll see more Mordremoth corruption the further we go into the Jungle.

Although I'm hoping that there won't be any loading screens between the three biomes that Colin talked about.

Ashodin

Big Stuff from PAX South from Colin (supposedly)

@WP. I spoke with Colin at the after party. Only one specialty per class at this time. It works very much like a secondary profession where you can mix and match your skills. It can also be modified any time you are out of combat.
Unclear if each class is only getting one new weapon but from the ranger speciality it appears at least that the new weapons come from the new specialties.
Also, jumping into the specialty gives you new trait options however it also restricts what traits you can use. Exactly what/how wasn't specified.
Only combos he would confirm was ranger and necro weapons already shown. Though he hinted at looking closely at the trailer for others.
Last thing before bed, no polearms. The art team had a lot of fun making look a likes but no polearms in gw2. :(

So it's just one FOR RIGHT NOW. could be more later or whenever, who knows.

About the fire in the trailer from Dragons said:
He mentioned Primordus could have a part in the story

This could be huge.

Grudy

Big Stuff from PAX South from Colin (supposedly)

So it's just one FOR RIGHT NOW. could be more later or whenever, who knows.

As others have said it really doesn't make sense to call it a specialization if there was just one :p. I fully expect them to release more afterwards.

Spyware

Dear MMO developers,

Two people can have the same goddamn name. It's really not a problem; it happens all the time. There's like a whole bunch of Mike Cathcarts on the Internet and nothing is fucked as a result of it. Please figure it out because all of the pronounceable combinations of between 3 and 19 English letters are already taken in Guild Wars 2 and I'm not looking forward to meeting everyone's brand new Revenants: Yakjhg, Zaseraslekil and Brnlqiohued.
I like that the names are unique. I've actually not had a single "name already taken" popup for a character with a surname (human, charr, norn) and I have 28 of those (and have changed their names and made other characters before so maybe... 40-ish names with no trouble at all).
I did have some minor trouble sometimes when following naming conventions for Asura since they need short names and don't use surnames, but yesterday I made one (Fyvee) on the first try.

I actually was looking at Celtic names since I was naming a Sylvari. I had an idea of what I wanted and tried a ton of variations but they were all taken. Then I came across one that I figured had to be unique because it was the weirdest looking name I had ever seen. But nope, it was taken. Then I wrote that post to blow off steam, lol. Character naming is always hard for me in RPGs.

Ended up with the old fallback: pick a League character and put junk at the end of their name until it works...
I'm gonna bet that anything celtic related that you can find on google was grabbed during the headstart. We knew since before release that Sylvari had celtic inspired names and so anyone following naming conventions naturally tried those first. I immediately went a completely different route, looking at names for various plants. Ended up with names like Llavea, Creiach and Acianth.

Naming characters and coming up with a unique name is so fun <3
Yesterday Cresc and I made the new "mains" on our EU accounts. We had decided on charr pretty quickly. I think it's pretty easy to come up with first names for charr but warband names are tricky (and fun!). Didn't want to use any of the three warbands we have on the NA accounts, making it harder. We finally decided on "Indium" (a soft and useful metallic element).
So we made Flavus Indiumheart and Cereus Indiumstride and I'm so happy with how they turned out!

Looks like I'm going to be saving all my gold and mats until HoT. I was going to make Bolt and Kamohoali'i Kotaki because they are the last ones I need to finish my collection. However, I'd rather just get the new legendaries.

Facegravy

Having a hard time deciding on Warrior or Guardian. Really don't like the GS skills with the warrior. And i heard that the warrior uses GS almost all the time, is it true?

Levyne

Banned
Had a cm run today with three rangers, a thief, and a mes that didn't want to slot feedback. Thought it was gonna be a disaster but it was actually fine, and even made okay time (Thief helps there)

Spyware

Having a hard time deciding on Warrior or Guardian. Really don't like the GS skills with the warrior. And i heard that the warrior uses GS almost all the time, is it true?
You don't need to touch a GS with your warrior if you don't want to. Play with whatever weapon you like :)

Levyne

Banned

The "meta" wold have you use it but you don't need to feel obligated to at all if you don't like it, that would be unfun. That said, it is super popular.

Paertan

Bought the game on the sale because eh why not. Great price. But I got no serial in the email. Contacted support and hopefully they can help me soon. Want to play some today :/

Levyne

Banned
I really want to join you but I wonder if playing from France might be problematic ? Different time zones, latency, etc.

We have a handful of euros in the guild that don't complain about latency at all. As for timezones, the ones I know tend to play real late so they are on during na evenings, and I dunno how the guild looks before na is online.

Spyware

I really want to join you but I wonder if playing from France might be problematic ? Different time zones, latency, etc.
I'm in Sweden (same time zone I think!) and I've noticed no difference in game between playing on EU servers or NA servers. I have no trouble with latency at all.

The time zone difference is noticeable but they have guild missions on sunday evenings our time so that we won't feel left out ;D
And since we're a bunch of europeans there's almost always someone else online even when most of the american players are not.

Facegravy

The "meta" wold have you use it but you don't need to feel obligated to at all if you don't like it, that would be unfun. That said, it is super popular.

Yeah, and I get into midmaxing in these kind of games. Well gonna try it out some more.

Sent a message to one of the guild leaders. And to you guys in europe, I didnt notice any latency or lag issues at all.

Does replaying a an episode give you a "second" reward? I'd like to free some space in my inventory, as I have about 10 of those "Ley line seed", "Chaos powder" etc, all those items needed for the backpack. I'd like to just destroy them and then get them back if/when needed (I mean, I'd like to get it now and free space that way, but I do not have a 400 artificer so I just can't)

On another note, is there anyway to reduce the ui further? I have a small monitor and I'd like to have most of it "free".

spiritfox

Yeah, and I get into midmaxing in these kind of games. Well gonna try it out some more.

Sent a message to one of the guild leaders. And to you guys in europe, I didnt notice any latency or lag issues at all.

Actually, GS isn't the best DPS weapon ever since the Hundred Blades nerf in Sep. A/M out-DPSes GS by a slight margin, especially if you use Scholar over Strength. However, GS is good for Might generation with the Forceful Greatsword trait, and if you trait Phalanx, you can easily generate Might for the party consistently.

People still use GS because it looks cool though.

I haven't played this for a while, is there any way of me seeing which server/world I'm on without logging in game?

When you enter the game, during character selection menu, in the bottom left corner you can choose which world you want to play on, and it shows you which world you have characters on currently. But thats after you logged into the game and the launcher opened the game.

If you go to the website, there might be a way to see it there though!

Emitan

Last thing before bed, no polearms. The art team had a lot of fun making look a likes but no polearms in gw2. :(

What.

What.

What.

Unsubscribing.

Ike is on his way home and will hopefully be there in around 12 hours after a safe drive. We had a huuuuuge hug. He was such a gentleman the whole time he was here. I'm happy we finally got to meet after knowing each other since around 2009.

hythloday

D/D is really, really fun. Yeah, there's squish potential but I prefer it over any other weapon combo. I leveled my elementalist exclusively with D/D except for the times I wanted more range at world bosses. You obviously have to stay near the mob because of the smaller range of the daggers, but I find that if I just keep moving I'm fine, even without a 'rotation'.

So I just bought this somehow
How big is the download?

I think about 19-20 GB.

Ike is on his way home and will hopefully be there in around 12 hours after a safe drive. We had a huuuuuge hug. He was such a gentleman the whole time he was here. I'm happy we finally got to meet after knowing each other since around 2009.

I'm so happy you two got to go to PAX!

Facegravy

Actually, GS isn't the best DPS weapon ever since the Hundred Blades nerf in Sep. A/M out-DPSes GS by a slight margin, especially if you use Scholar over Strength. However, GS is good for Might generation with the Forceful Greatsword trait, and if you trait Phalanx, you can easily generate Might for the party consistently.

Okey, thank you for the info. As I said gonna try them both out.

I've been setting my launcher to Spanish, as I am trying to learn Spanish. Oh boy:eek:

What.

What.

What.

Unsubscribing.

They must have their reasons.
Like with race. They are holding it back. Like a fart you can't release when in the company of your mother. You must hold it in, believing in yourself. Believe in those pelvic muscles. These are the kegal exercises of our time.

Levyne

Banned

I thought you were still supposed to sit in gs and hit 2-3 then swap To A/M. In fact I thought it was always like that. The less you have to auto with GS the better.

I just meant GS is "meta" in that it's equipped as one of your slots.

Jira

http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/0...rien-and-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-s-heart-of/

To move forward with mastery, Guild Wars 2 players will need to earn mastery points. And unlike the experience points of old, mastery points won't simply rain from the heavens every time a player completes a simple task. Says O'Brien, "The way that you earn mastery points is, I think, a very Guild Wars 2 way to earn mastery points: You do really really hard things that you on your account have never done before." The earning of these mastery points is tied directly into Guild War's 2's living world philosophy; new ways to earn mastery points will accompany the new content that releases in the wake of Heart of Thorns.

The introduction of the mastery system also helps ArenaNet solve the problem of existing content. Challenges awarding mastery points will be introduced to the core Guild Wars 2 world, meaning old content won't simply become a blur as players rush through to get to the expansion stuff. O'Brien notes that ArenaNet is being careful to include mastery points all over the current Guild Wars 2 landmass, explaining, "We're going to keep evolving the world, and we intentionally picked a strategy where it's not leaving behind a wasteland."

I cannot stress how relieved I am to hear that mastery points will be obtainable in the current world as well. Content invalidation is something that nearly every MMO suffers from due to a focus on treadmills and level cap increases. Glad to see that they came up with a system to avoid that.

spiritfox

I thought you were still supposed to sit in gs and hit 2-3 then swap To A/M. In fact I thought it was always like that. The less you have to auto with GS the better.

I just meant GS is "meta" in that it's equipped as one of your slots.

Well yes, gs is part of the "optimal" rotation. I'm just stating that in terms of pure damage A/M is higher. Also, I totally forgot about weapon swapping. I play engie too much :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dunno if its the double xp or they just buffed early lvl xp, but im grossly overlvled in this first asura zone (lvling a necro), I know it doesnt matter since it adjusts your level, but just thought it was funny. im 17 and im just half way through (granted im doing everything)

fun tho, even tho I only care for staff (I remember enjoying more than 1 weapon on my engi, at least shotgun and pistols)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom