• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hythloday

I've been wondering, considering some of you have played this game for thousands of hours, how old are you guys and what do you do for a living? :D Primarily directed at the veterans I suppose.

I am 32 and I work for the U.S. Social Security Administration. I do lots of things there but most of it is related to processing claims and also some QA-type stuff.

They reworked the whole new-player-expierence, plus traits for a better character progression. Same reason why Mastery System is being introduced.
They revisited old areas, adding events and challanges, adding new bosses(3headed wurm, marionette) and reworking bosses (tequatl and the fractal ones) in ways we havent played them before.

I will try to explain myself with an example.
For the sake of the example, lets say HoT will be released in the end of May.
So, with that in mind, when HoT releases in May, we will have all the new features and stuff to play with and everyone are happy that GW2 finaly got an expansion.

But, if (big IF) at PAX Anet announced Living Story Season 3 along side new and long awaited features, and said the new episodes start rolling out from Febuary to the end of May. It would go like this - the new zones of the Maguuma Jungle will be released with the episodes (much like karkaland, dry top and silverwastes), the story missions(and with the return of Rytlock - Revenant will be introduced) and challanges (and their coresponding jungle masteries) would unfold as the episodes roll out. In between the episodes they would have a feature pack adding guild halls and the core game masteries. And at the end of the season, another feature pack will introduce the new sPvP game mode and the WvW borderland and reworked fundamentals.

In the end we would have the exact same content, just rolled out bit by bit (as it was until now), but most of reddit would continue to bitch, why this game hasn't got an proper expansion.
Hope this clears what I mean.

One is gameplay ideration (improving on existing fundamental structures), another introducing something completely new. Not remotely comparable.

I've been wondering, considering some of you have played this game for thousands of hours, how old are you guys and what do you do for a living? :D Primarily directed at the veterans I suppose.
Contract security for a living, but I'm working on a chemical engineering degree. I'm 29.

I want to clarify that I mean that mostly as a compliment. Or at least halfway. To design and model new weapon sets as often as they do is probably the most consistent thing they update. But so many black lion ticket sets...Ley Line, Mordrem, Winter, Tempest, Chaos, Pact Fleet. Those are all relatively recent!

I would prefer if they didn't put every single weapon set on Gem Store...well I don't really care since I run Legendaries only on my toons. I don't like any gem store weapon over my legendaries.

I keep trying to enjoy this game but there is just something about it that isn't clicking with me.

I can't find a class that feels nice and i feel that I'm giving up something I like to play a specific class. I can't figure it out.

I think i'm gonna stick with it to see if I can eventually like this but so far it's rough.

anyway, what do I need to do to join the GAF guild?

Levyne

Banned
I keep trying to enjoy this game but there is just something about it that isn't clicking with me.

I can't find a class that feels nice and i feel that I'm giving up something I like to play a specific class. I can't figure it out.

I think i'm gonna stick with it to see if I can eventually like this but so far it's rough.

anyway, what do I need to do to join the GAF guild?

Aww. I hope you end up finding something. But the game won't click for everyone :<. All I can say is to just try out other classes, and hey, even races (since asura might feel "faster" or such)

GAF Guild has no requirement at all (except just same rules as Neogaf forums). We'd just need a character or account name

Decided to give this a go with the sale.

I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying the campaign missions. I like the jumping puzzles as well.

The grind for lvls isn't too bad with doing events and missions.

Haven't joined the guild, but it's fun seeing a lot of the GAF guild running around.

swnny

One is gameplay ideration (improving on existing fundamental structures), another introducing something completely new. Not remotely comparable.

Are you trying tell me that since release anet havn't introduced anything completely new? If so, I think we should stop right here.

Are you trying tell me that since release anet havn't introduced anything completely new? If so, I think we should stop right here.

That's not what I said. We're talking about feature packs. You said it yourself that this expansion is not more than a feature pack, and now you're backpedaling as hell.

swnny

That's not what I said. We're talking about feature packs. You said it yourself that this expansion is not more than a feature pack, and now you're backpedaling as hell.

Yes, that is what i'm expecting it to be. A big feature pack. And I believe I explained myself well. I may be wrong, but based on previous update history, HoT isn't anything near groundbreaking.

Yes, that is what i'm expecting it to be. A big feature pack. And I believe I explained myself well. I may be wrong, but based on previous update history, HoT isn't anything near groundbreaking.

You may be right! We will see more in about 5 weeks! It might give us more of a clue of everything that is included, and what is not.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

24. I'm a student studying software engineering, and currently working as a web developer.

But my hours played is far less than the GAF vets.

I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying the campaign missions. I like the jumping puzzles as well.

Haven't joined the guild, but it's fun seeing a lot of the GAF guild running around.

One of us&#8482;

JP's are probably my favorite part of GW2.

swnny

You may be right! We will see more in about 5 weeks! It might give us more of a clue of everything that is included, and what is not.

Heh, I sure hope I'm wrong, but up to this point, there is nothing to convince me.
Will see what the playable demo will be. Then, there will be a lot more to talk about. Until then we all are just speculating, and my speculation is one of the worst. :)

Ashodin

29, CEO, Actos Games, LLC. Our first game, psyscrolr, will release on Wii U next month (hopefully).

xeris

Guilds use influence for passive buffs and stuff. GAF has plenty but who knows what we'll need for guild halls so go ahead and eat the influence item.

Going to dissent a bit. If you think you might do a vanity guild (mostly done for extra bank space) you might want to consider saving it for that so the gold outlay for said bank space is less.

Trey

In school for physics and engineering. I work in a gym to pay rent and feed myself plus odd jobs on the side to put money in my pocket.

800 hours played. I want to be more active in GW2 but I have a lot of hobbies alongside school and work.

2100 hours took a lot of breaks to play blade and soul.

26, working officially "80" hours as a medical biller putting to great use my Mechnical Engineering degree and I am currently working on my MBA.

Emitan

Wasn't gonna answer but seeing someone else in basically the same situation made it easier. I'm 26 tho and not in any way ready to look for any kind of job yet, if ever. :/

I hope you get a job soon!

Thank you! I hope both of us can have good lives

LkPr

Just came back to this game after about a year off and I've decided to finally try and get my first legendary weapon. Are there any new tips and tricks to getting a Legendary or is it pretty much the same old grind?

I just want to reiterate how much fun I'm having this time around. I'm so glad I gave it a second chance.

Also, even though I'm not a veteran, I'm 35 and work FT as a Sr. Data Analyst for a geo-location tech company. I'm also working my way through grad school.

What do you want in a class? Perhaps we can prescribe a better one for you.

Well I'm playing ff14 right now as a white mage

And I played wow as a resto druid/shaman, and holy priest/Paladin

And I know guild wars doesn't have the trinity so there's nothing that really hits the right spot for me

I have a level 8 thief that I guess is okay but I'm just kinda going through the motions. It's enjoyable "enough" but nothing is grabbing me to lose myself into all of what the game has

Warrior was okay, I didn't like guardian for the few levels I played. I haven't tried necromancer which might be more my thing but I have a hard time finding a race that I like in the first place as is, and I don't want to redo the little amount I've already done

Ashodin

Sounds like the game might not be for you. You seem to want a rigid role setup, with slanted towards more healing in general. Most classes can heal in certain situations, it's just not exactly viable (as everyone can self heal and dodge, so the game puts the onus on the player being skilled)

Cathcart

I have a level 8 thief that I guess is okay but I'm just kinda going through the motions. It's enjoyable "enough" but nothing is grabbing me to lose myself into all of what the game has

Warrior was okay, I didn't like guardian for the few levels I played. I haven't tried necromancer which might be more my thing but I have a hard time finding a race that I like in the first place as is, and I don't want to redo the little amount I've already done

I mean you're kinda playing all of the boring classes that nobody likes (see also engineer, ranger, and elementalist). But also what Ash said.

26, was in the Air Force for six years, now I'm a full time student. I have a lot of free time now, which explains my +5k hours.

hythloday

And I know guild wars doesn't have the trinity so there's nothing that really hits the right spot for me

Try as many as you can. I personally played healers in most MMOs. In EQ I played a Druid, Wow a hunter (that was an outlier) and a holy priest. Vanguard a blood Mage. In GW2 the Mesmer class really clicked with me once I tried it.

Granadier

I mean you're kinda playing all of the boring classes that nobody likes (see also engineer, ranger, and elementalist). But also what Ash said.

Are you playing the same game as me? I feel like you aren't.

Lunar15

Most of the people I know who love playing a dedicated healer role in games hate GW2. Makes sense, there's nothing for them, really. FFXIV is where you go for that right now, it seems.

Honestly, while I'm not itching to go back to a trinity, I will say that GW2 could do with more defined roles. I just feel like the alternatives they came up with aren't really compelling.

As for myself: I'm 26 and I work in internet advertising, representing a wide variety of gaming and entertainment websites. I also set up marketing campaigns for game companies. You know what I don't do? Tell editors how to write something or make them change a review based on an ad campaign we're running. That's really a big myth, so I'd like to clear that up. I was kind of shocked that it doesn't really happen, to be honest.

I've been playing Guard since launch and I have yet to get bored of it. It just depends on the player. I find the lore, design, and gameplay of the class to be great. For example, I hate thief, but that doesn't make it a boring or bad profession.

Ashodin

I hated healing in MMOs. It's a terrible, thankless job, and it's masochistic. You willingly throw time away for something people will only yell at you if you screw up on.

I used to raid with a PH guild in WoW, and healing was srs bsns. If you couldn't cut it, you got yelled at, harshly. It soured my experience on healing in general, and when I went to a friendlier guild, I pushed to become damage instead of healing (even at a time when the damage I dealt was broken).

Ever since then, I've come to abhor the trinity in general because it only creates friction in those and the content made for them. Sure, when you get a great group going, that's great, but then you're pigeonholed and also being selective about who you play with, which is a big nono to me.

Moondrop

Banned
And I know guild wars doesn't have the trinity so there's nothing that really hits the right spot for me.
I play the best healing spec in the game (cleric warrior), and even I acknowledge PvE is really about everyone being responsible for themselves. However in WvW (and PvP to a lesser extent) you will find more defined support roles.

Other classes you haven't tried that can be supportive are elementalist (with staff) and mesmer (unique utilities like group teleporting and haste).

Anno

29 and I'm an internal auditor for a mid-sized regional bank. Prior to last year I managed a group of collection associates trying to keep people in their cars or, if not, at least find their soon-to-be-former cars.

Retro

I'm 33 and I'm a pet psychologist. I also sell couch insurance and test-market positive thinking part time. I also lead a weekend men's group, where we specialize in ritual killings.

Unemployed.

Granadier

I'm 33 and I'm a pet psychologist. I also sell couch insurance and test-market positive thinking part time. I also lead a weekend men's group, where we specialize in ritual killings.

Unemployed.

I fucking love you.

Well, it's important to take a game for what it is. I played a healer in WoW (though my main was a Warrior, because I live and die by the sword) and I think the appeal of feeling like you're making a difference, protecting and keeping your comrades alive.

It's there in Guild Wars 2. It really is. And it's there in an epic fashion. The thing is though - It doesn't show itself at these early levels. GW2 is much more approachable than FFXIV and perhaps even WoW, because you can literally advance the solo content by just pressing 1.

But it still might not be for you. Sometimes we can't really explain why something doesn't grab us, the way others are grabbed by the same thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You aren't welcome here! Raaaar!

Zeroth and I mixed it up a little: he was the warrior and I was the guardian for once.

For some reason the exploit to pull Tazza out of her room in SE1 doesn't work with two people, so we managed to duo all of the path except the very end. Every time we got her around 50% health, she would give up and run back to her starting spot, resetting her health to 100%. Troop Commander Kaeyi would do the same thing if we tried to get her out of the way instead. Pretty frustrating.

Ashodin

Unemployed.

Lies, your taxes say this year "homemaker"

Mxrz

Stronghold isn't strictly GvG, it has some Aspenwood elements in there (yay) and that ran on one map forever. I don't really need a bunch of maps if the one we get is solid. Its some of the goofy mechanics on the conquest maps that get old.

No real desire to see any trinity or roles return. Loved Monking in GW1 since it was different than typical mmo healers. It was more about preventing & dealing with spike, or hex/condi pressure than red-bar upping. But it completely broke PvE. I like the dynamics of the current system. Not having to go "oh we need a healer/support!" gives you a lot of options. Also places the emphasis not on the class/abilities, but on the player.

Actually, they could design encounters to better suit classes inherent abilities at any point. Almost pvp like. Say a point needs to be held with a defensive guardian & engineer. While a mobile thief needs go around mobs to flip a switch or some such. Stuff like that would be a lot more interesting than the usual routine.

Goldrush

Try as many as you can. I personally played healers in most MMOs. In EQ I played a Druid, Wow a hunter (that was an outlier) and a holy priest. Vanguard a blood Mage. In GW2 the Mesmer class really clicked with me once I tried it.

Didn't realize how selfish my main Engineer is until I tried out Mesmer. Almost all the Mesmer's skills are support skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom