• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ullus

Just got around to playing this game, how are the warriors? Looking for something durable / good at soloing. And does the race mater, or is it just for looks?

Seil

thanks for mentioning the watchwork pick as I am only going be able to afford one of the tools and I was between a pick or an axe. I might as well do an axe if there is a better pick out there :p

Wait, why would you get an axe if the watchwork pick is currently available? Unless it's been removed in the past 24 hours it should be there.

It's there in Guild Wars 2. It really is. And it's there in an epic fashion. The thing is though - It doesn't show itself at these early levels. GW2 is much more approachable than FFXIV and perhaps even WoW, because you can literally advance the solo content by just pressing 1.

I think this might be part of the problem, though it doesn't always manifest. I've played basically every MMO under the sun since UO and so I know how these things go. Just the early game of guild wars seems so much... simpler? than the rest. I'm 100% confident that the end game is probably great, I just have trouble keeping interest through the low stuff

I like EVE a lot more than I should, so the approachability and all that is not a problem I would think

Maybe its all built on expectations from "fantasy MMO"

I tried a mesmer last night and I liked that one even less than the others ive tried.

Jira

Get your Pre now while the market is plummeting, I have a feeling Pre-c is gonna take time and quite a lot of money, when gamers see how annoying it is, Pre prices will skyrocket..

Why in the hell would people ask and beg for a way to obtain precusors and then say "waaaaah too much work I'll just buy it and then bitch"?

I think this might be part of the problem, though it doesn't always manifest. I've played basically every MMO under the sun since UO and so I know how these things go. Just the early game of guild wars seems so much... simpler? than the rest. I'm 100% confident that the end game is probably great, I just have trouble keeping interest through the low stuff

I like EVE a lot more than I should, so the approachability and all that is not a problem I would think

Maybe its all built on expectations from "fantasy MMO"

I tried a mesmer last night and I liked that one even less than the others ive tried.

That's really the problem here. You cannot go into GW2 with any expectations from any other MMO. GW2 is fundamentally different than every other MMO on the market. GW2 is very laid back, it doesn't have you put a bunch of time into doing one thing and then pull the rug out from under you at the level cap. By and large, levels are meaningless and you should just get out there and explore like you would in say Skyrim. Also, try every class till you find one that clicks.

Why in the hell would people ask and beg for a way to obtain precusors and then say "waaaaah too much work I'll just buy it and then bitch"?

Simple, i have known several players who paid for their legendary with a Credit Card, gems for gold, that's a viable source of income for Anet, even if it's $250k a month, it still money flowing in because of the Legendary, I am sure they have tracked what players do with the gems when they are purchased with CC....at least 8 people in my former guild admitted to buying their pre with cash..

Levyne

Banned

Precursor crafting might be a huge time sink, and some people might have more time then money, some people might have more money than time. Hard to say what the fallout will be without know details though.

Jira

Precursor crafting might be a huge time sink, and some people might have more time then money, some people might have more money than time. Hard to say what the fallout will be without know details though.

True, though I certainly forsee the vast majority of players using the precursor hunt over buying them.

Was just mentioned on Ready Up that we'll see Stronghold for the first time next week with more info on Feb 13.

Cathcart

Yeah it's pretty hard to believe that MMO players would be unhappy with the way a new feature is implemented.

Zakalwe

Banned
Which of the three perma gatherers should I buy? Is there any benefit to any of them or just preference/what your characters can make use of?

Cathcart

Which of the three perma gatherers should I buy? Is there any benefit to any of them or just preference/what your characters can make use of?

Watchwork pick is the only one with an advantage, you have a chance to find a watchwork sprocket with every swing. You can use them to make stuff or just sell them on the TP for a little bit of extra money.

All of the other gathering tools are just unlimited use tools with different visual effects.

Shiokazu

gw136.jpg

without the luminescent thing it fits so well it hurts.

Minamu

Watchwork pick is the only one with an advantage, you have a chance to find a watchwork sprocket with every swing. You can use them to make stuff or just sell them on the TP for a little bit of extra money.

All of the other gathering tools are just unlimited use tools with different visual effects.
Are the unlimited tools worth it? I remember reading that someone did some calculations on the number of uses you'd have to do to earn the money back and it was ridonculous to say the least if I'm not mistaken.

Zakalwe

Banned
Are the unlimited tools worth it? I remember reading that someone did some calculations on the number of uses you'd have to do to earn the money back and it was ridonculous to say the least if I'm not mistaken.

Paying for convenience + aesthetics.

Retro

From an old post of mine on Reddit, obviously the price of gems has gone up since.

If we're discussing the value of the permanent gathering tools, then you have to compare the gold price of buying regular harvesting tools to the gem price of the permanent tools. For example, the Mining Pick is 800 gems. Using the current gold to gem ratio (11g53s/100) I would need to spend 92g24s to buy it. I get 100 uses from an Orichalcum Mining Pick valued at 4s each. That means that I would need to use the Permanent Pick 23,060 times before it paid for itself (i.e. the price of the mining pick reaches a point where it is cheaper than buying 230.6 regular mining picks).

It's pure convenience for me, I've never stressed about 'getting my money's worth'.

Mxrz

My issue with precursors was never the scarcity, but moreso giving another player an absurd amount of gold for a lucky drop. Costing more or being more time consuming is fine with me.

Gonna guess the new legendaries won't be revealed for a long time. Excited about a new a sword/shield combo if nothing else.

Minamu

From an old post of mine on Reddit, obviously the price of gems has gone up since.

It's pure convenience for me, I've never stressed about 'getting my money's worth'.
That is true. I might get one of those on of these days. I still haven't bought the Phoenix outfit as promised either :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It I do to for one of the unlimited tools, which would be best to start with out of the ones currently on offer?

This game plays incredibly well on an Xbox pad. Took me a few days to get used to it properly, but very worth it. The amount of control you get make sit feel as though the game was designed with a pad in mind.
Grrrrr who are you

But yes obviously I agree completely.

My issue with precursors was never the scarcity, but moreso giving another player an absurd amount of gold for a lucky drop. Costing more or being more time consuming is fine with me.

Gonna guess the new legendaries won't be revealed for a long time. Excited about a new a sword/shield combo if nothing else.

Remember when somebody got the axe precursor from the first boss of SE

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I got the 360 pad to work with this game and wow, it is unreal how smooth it really is. It's so cool to be able to play an MMO on a game pad. The one issue I have is about face not working properly but I think I messed up a key bind somewhere. I've also not run into any issues running it on Windows 8.1, but I'm only in the starting zones so the game is likely not very demanding yet.

Great thanks to the people who made the pad support possible, it's a joy to use!
Yeah, it's amazing. In OP said that gamepad control will feel natural but not this natural. Still need getting used to using AOE skill though, and I only use mouse control only when crafting.
Really glad you guys are digging it :D

Mordeccai, when you press the Back button on your pad, does the cursor recenter itself?

Since I'm still jumping around trying to see if i find something, any chance I can get added to the guild at the account level? Or do I need to do it per character?

shifty.8405 is my account name

zulux21

Wait, why would you get an axe if the watchwork pick is currently available? Unless it's been removed in the past 24 hours it should be there.

one type of the unlimited tools are on sale at 800, the watchwork is 1000 and not on sale. I only have enough funds to get a single tool at this time, thus I might as well wait on the watchwork pick and get the axe on sale right now.

Since I'm still jumping around trying to see if i find something, any chance I can get added to the guild at the account level? Or do I need to do it per character?

shifty.8405 is my account name

I sent you an invite.

Guild membership is at an account level, sort of. Your account can be a member of five guilds, and you can decide which guild you want each character to represent at any given time. They can all be in the same guild, or they can all be in different guilds.

zulux21

stupid new account transfer limits... I have to put 10 gold in the guild bank from my second account 10 silver at a time because any more and it yells that it exceeds the amount I can send @_@

Koh

Semtix.5136 on Stormbluff Isle. Just starting out (level 15) and know very little. Looking for a guild invite and anyone who wants to party up and play through the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom