• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Question regarding Ascended gear.

Are you locked into the stat build you chose when purchase/crafting your Ascended gear, or can you change it up later on without buying a whole new set?

Ceres

Banned

Are you locked into the stat build you chose when purchase/crafting your Ascended gear, or can you change it up later on without buying a whole new set?

You're locked. You need to buy the recipes for any other stats you want.
Only legendaries allow you to change stats.

Only benefit now is that you can move gear around between characters so could rotate stuff like PVT/Zerk between guardian/warrior depending on what you're doing. Or rabid/dire on your necro & mesmer.

You have to decide on a stat long before you even start crafting, because you have to buy *specific* stat recipes for each armour piece, and they're expensive (5 laurels + 3g per piece). Then you need to craft the specific stat insignia (and it's exotic pre-insignia), and then craft the specific stat armour piece.

For example: to make the Celestial ascended helm you need to buy an Ascended Armour helm recipe, set it to Wupwup, craft a Celestial Intricate Gossamer Insignia (exotic) which is used in crafting the Wupwup Celestial Insignia (21k karma Ascended Insignia recipe set to Wupwup), which is then used in the recipe to craft the helm.

The only upset to Ascended armour is it's account bound, not souls, so you can give them to alts if you change.

Thorgal

Anyone interested in tackling tequatl at 1 PM EST ?

I will be there at 12 : 45 .

Volunteers are happy to come along and watch me die horribly :p

Mumble optional .

nataku

All of the dungeons could use a revamp, now that we've seen what they can do because of the AC rework and TA Aetherpath. More of that please.

This is one instance where I wish they would ignore lore reasons for revamps and just revamp the dungeons. They could easily come up with some BS backstory for why it's happening if they really had to. It doesn't have to be a major event.

Granadier

You're locked. You need to buy the recipes for any other stats you want.
Only legendaries allow you to change stats.

Only benefit now is that you can move gear around between characters so could rotate stuff like PVT/Zerk between guardian/warrior depending on what you're doing. Or rabid/dire on your necro & mesmer.

You have to decide on a stat long before you even start crafting, because you have to buy *specific* stat recipes for each armour piece, and they're expensive (5 laurels + 3g per piece). Then you need to craft the specific stat insignia (and it's exotic pre-insignia), and then craft the specific stat armour piece.

The only upset to Ascended armour is it's account bound, not souls, so you can give them to alts if you change.

Thanks for the info. That's quite an investment.

Thanks for the info. That's quite an investment.

Yeah, a full Ascended armour set is a heck of a task, second only to getting a Legendary.

This is one instance where I wish they would ignore lore reasons for revamps and just revamp the dungeons. They could easily come up with some BS backstory for why it's happening if they really had to. It doesn't have to be a major event.

They can, and have, done revamps without making a big deal. AC path 2's ending was totally and utterly changed, with no lore reason given. I'm sure they've got similar revamps in the works for other dungeons that they feel need the update. I'm hoping now that the China launch is done, things will start refocusing again on improving the core game experience.

It sounds like it would be pretty easy to explain to me:

CM: The ministry guard has announced revised security arrangements for Ministers Caudicus's upcoming party.

etc and so forth. Just explain it away as some sort of administrative change on behalf of whichever faction controls the dungeon in question.

BraXzy

30 minutes to go before E3 starts! Ready for the bombs to drop.

I opened 500 gauntlet chances before, I got 500 Festival Tokens out of them :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There are only 3 chests in CM2 right? I also skip that run unless the group is doing a speedrun.

Also speaking of which, CM3 has a strange bug where a chest icon shows up in the map but no chest appears... is it because you played CM1 earlier?

They can, and have, done revamps without making a big deal. AC path 2's ending was totally and utterly changed, with no lore reason given. I'm sure they've got similar revamps in the works for other dungeons that they feel need the update. I'm hoping now that the China launch is done, things will start refocusing again on improving the core game experience.

Wait, AC2 had a different ending before, the Ghost Eater?

nataku

Right, but I'm pretty sure Colin (or someone else at ANet) said since then that all revamps would have reasons for happening, like TA Aetherpath did, instead of just happening like they did with AC.

Wait, AC2 had a different ending before, the Ghost Eater?

It was still Ghost Eater, but the mechanics were completely different. Before, it involved defending three turrets being built, and then using those turrets on Ghost Eater when he arrives. The problem is, the defense section was horrid, too many ghost spawned, and once Ghost Eater arrived you could just ignore the turrets entirely and just burn the boss down. There were no mechanics to the fight at all really.

The new 'lift and pull' charge system is much more interesting, and how you shouldn't burn the boss.

When the change happened though, it was hilarious as all the DPS heavy groups tried to burn Ghost Eater down before realizing the mechanics changed.

Boss Doggie

I just realized that we probably wouldn't get a new playable race unless they change the PS to reflect on the new race "member" of the story. Unless they change the Destiny's Edge roster or add say, a tengu, to Destiny's Edge 2: Electric Boogaloo, and give focus to the new "story guild", it'd be really odd and unfair to the new race.

It was still Ghost Eater, but the mechanics were completely different. Before, it involved defending three turrets being built, and then using those turrets on Ghost Eater when he arrives. The problem is, the defense section was horrid, too many ghost spawned, and once Ghost Eater arrived you could just ignore the turrets entirely and just burn the boss down. There were no mechanics to the fight at all really.

The new 'lift and pull' charge system is much more interesting, and how you shouldn't burn the boss.

When the change happened though, it was hilarious as all the DPS heavy groups tried to burn Ghost Eater down before realizing the mechanics changed.

Now I wish LFG happened sooner lol

With that said, Detha is really buggy.

spiritfox

I just realized that we probably wouldn't get a new playable race unless they change the PS to reflect on the new race "member" of the story. Unless they change the Destiny's Edge roster or add say, a tengu, to Destiny's Edge 2: Electric Boogaloo, and give focus to the new "story guild", it'd be really odd and unfair to the new race.

Now I wish LFG happened sooner lol

They could make a separate PS for the new race, maybe reflecting that it was introduced later by putting it at the same date as season 2. But it'll probably be too much work just for 1 race.

Also, see you guys on the other side.

I just realized that we probably wouldn't get a new playable race unless they change the PS to reflect on the new race "member" of the story. .

I dunno. If the Death Knight in WoW proved anything, is that you can add a new race or class later and have it work. If anything, since the world in GW2 moves forward in real time, adding in Tengu later could work perfectly fine.

Moondrop

Banned
This subreddit post about healing mitigation mechanics affecting warbanner is really interesting.

My immediate takeaway is that if it is indeed true that poison applies to ressing, then poison is much more valuable than previously realized. The primary applications will be applying poison to downed foes in a group fight in sPvP as well as Toxic Unveiling Volley in WvW (arrow cart mastery #5).

Pop quiz- how many professions can create a poison field?
Answer:
all of them ;)

Proven

This subreddit post about healing mitigation mechanics affecting warbanner is really interesting.

My immediate takeaway is that if it is indeed true that poison applies to ressing, then poison is much more valuable than previously realized. The primary applications will be applying poison to downed foes in a group fight in sPvP as well as Toxic Unveiling Volley in WvW (arrow cart mastery #5).

Pop quiz- how many professions can create a poison field?
Answer:
all of them ;)

Uh... I thought this was known since near launch? That's why in PvP you want someone with poison to poison the downed body. All res skills in the game work by giving you X amount of health if you're in downed state, and all will fail to rally you if your downed health is too low while poisoned.

Edit: Exceptions being Mesmer's Res skill and Warrior Vengeance, but mostly because those don't actually "rally" you themselves.

Moondrop

Banned
It does appear the mechanic is unchanged since launch; how well known it was is up for debate. I've certainly never been told in pvp to "poison the downed."

But it's also clear that there are at least 3 different kinds of resurrection skills, of which you've touched on two:
1) Those that apply X amount of health in one burst: Battle Standard, Glyph of Renewal, Signet of Mercy, Nature's Renewal, Toss Elixir R
2) Those that apply Y amount of health per second: manual ressing, Search and Rescue
3) Those in which allies are temporarily revived until killing a foe: Vengeance, Illusion of Life

So this mechanic works directly against 1 and 2 and indirectly against 3.

Katoki

Poison fields are great. While I'm not huge on condition thieves, they ARE great for running in large groups and just dropping poison fields via spam or strategic placement while surviving pretty well assuming dire stats are being run.

That's impressive! 26k health in whites? I should level up my Warrior!

Anyone been watching the E3 conferences so far?

It'll go down after you're past 14 or so. I had trouble keeping hp above 19k most of the time in the Wubs, even with updated gear.

Moondrop

Banned
It'll go down after you're past 14 or so. I had trouble keeping hp above 19k most of the time in the Wubs, even with updated gear.

The best point at which to take advantage of upscaling is when you can get a full set of gear and accessories with the Hearty prefix, lvl 35 I believe. My engi had 35k+ HP with guard stacks, and some toughness too.

Thorgal

Going through personal story in preparation for s2 it is clear that Anet did not bother updating those .

For example in the Asuran PS
you have to fend off a massive risen invasion force invading LA And everyone acts as if the city is still there and not in ruins due to scarlet .

Mxrz

"Friendly Fire" would fix so many things in this game. Stacking? Gone. WvW zergs? poof. Idiots that annoy me in map/dungeons? Dead. Make it happen, ANet.

There any general tips for Humble Victor (Frail/Squeamish)? Its the one gauntlet achievement I've not done. Have all classes at 80, ascended, etc. but I did gauntlet on my warrior and none of the T3 fights look all that good with those up.

nataku

Going through personal story in preparation for s2 it is clear that Anet did not bother updating those .

For example in the Asuran PS
you have to fend off a massive risen invasion force invading LA And everyone acts as if the city is still there and not in ruins due to scarlet .

They probably never will, either. I get the impression they think it's just not worth their time.

"Friendly Fire" would fix so many things in this game. Stacking? Gone. WvW zergs? poof. Idiots that annoy me in map/dungeons? Dead. Make it happen, ANet.

It'd also open the game up to immense amounts of griefing.

Proven

It does appear the mechanic is unchanged since launch; how well known it was is up for debate. I've certainly never been told in pvp to "poison the downed."

But it's also clear that there are at least 3 different kinds of resurrection skills, of which you've touched on two:
1) Those that apply X amount of health in one burst: Battle Standard, Glyph of Renewal, Signet of Mercy, Nature's Renewal, Toss Elixir R
2) Those that apply Y amount of health per second: manual ressing, Search and Rescue
3) Those in which allies are temporarily revived until killing a foe: Vengeance, Illusion of Life

So this mechanic works directly against 1 and 2 and indirectly against 3.

I guess because it's second nature to me now. From memory, people very quickly discovered that manual ressing was lowered by Poison. It was from there that people started poisoning bodies all the time. Soon after, because of how long it took to res a poison body, people started running resurrection skills more often, but then it was quickly found that it wasn't the be all panacea. Still, the skills were run up until players couldn't fit it onto their utility bars since it was more effective to just use the skill from range immediately anyhow.

Collision detection would achieve most of what you desire.

And lead to griefing and destroy the frame rate and cause tons of glitches/bugs and it sure didn't help WHO. :p

We’re pleased to announce that from June 17 onward, you’ll be able to buy custom arenas with gold instead of gems!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/buy-custom-arenas-with-gold/

F6xpLw4.png

Actually, collision detection was the one good thing about WHO. Not much point in using that game as a parameter for anything tho. Still baffled that they went with gamebryo.

Will GAF buy a custom arena?

There any general tips for Humble Victor (Frail/Squeamish)? Its the one gauntlet achievement I've not done. Have all classes at 80, ascended, etc. but I did gauntlet on my warrior and none of the T3 fights look all that good with those up.

1. Zerker guardian
2. Wall of reflection
3. ????
4. Profit!

Moondrop

Banned
There any general tips for Humble Victor (Frail/Squeamish)?
Those gambits translate to reduced damage applied + more damage taken. So I walked in with my cleric shout healing warrior and slapped that ooze around. I'm planning a similar strategy for the 5 gambit achievement.

I guess because it's second nature to me now. From memory, people very quickly discovered that manual ressing was lowered by Poison. It was from there that people started poisoning bodies all the time. Soon after, because of how long it took to res a poison body, people started running resurrection skills more often, but then it was quickly found that it wasn't the be all panacea. Still, the skills were run up until players couldn't fit it onto their utility bars since it was more effective to just use the skill from range immediately anyhow.
Indeed, I've never claimed to participate in high level PvP but I am familiar with the resurrection skill era. I still find Search and Rescue fun.

Nevertheless, I believe the topic deserved a PSA here and on reddit. *shrug

And lead to griefing and destroy the frame rate and cause tons of glitches/bugs and it sure didn't help WHO. :p
I wasn't advocating for collision detection to be implemented, but rather pointing out that those stated problems could be solved by means other than "friendly fire." Although I would be very interested in a game that did have collision and friendly fire; perhaps the way cRPGs simulate real time could deal with the frame rate issues.

Will GAF buy a custom arena?
Very tempted.

Proven

If you didn't know about the full details either, then yeah, you're right. Very much PSA worthy. That was the first time I ever felt like following the PvP scene put me in a little bubble with game-wide facts rather than just PvP-centric trivia.

And the time tokens are so cheap! I wonder how much time per token though... I guess I still wouldn't recommend GAF as a guild to buy one unless we made regular use out of it, although I'd be one to pitch in to keep it going even if 90% of my gaming time has been going to HotS.

Granadier

I am slightly ashamed it took me this long to take this character name.

HaJNUgr.jpg

edit: This new bobblehead lab creates some....interesting results.

If524xQ.jpg

Can I do it with a non zerker guardian?
Reason for the zerk stats is to defeat Subject 7 quickly enough before the projectiles overwhelm you. There's only enough time for one wall, and by standing inside the wall you're pretty much immune to the ranged stuff from all directions.

Boss Doggie

I bought bobblehead lab. I miss the effect!

Reason for the zerk stats is to defeat Subject 7 quickly enough before the projectiles overwhelm you. There's only enough time for one wall, and by standing inside the wall you're pretty much immune to the ranged stuff from all directions.

Ah I see.

I run Soldier guardian

If we're gonna get an arena going, it's better to do it now, tho.
I went and checked, and currently they cost 1600 gems, soo, if you pick your day correctly, its 160g, possibly even 150g. Arenas last for a month.

The gem time tokens are currently a worse deal than what gold will be. 150 gems for 5, 480 for 20. Time tokens give the arena another day of life.

So, 150g to create, 60g a month to maintain.

Haaaawwwwwkiaaaaan! Purty Pleeeezzzz. Have I ever mentioned how I always admired how you manage to never die ever?

(tbh i found no mention of them removing the option to buy with gems, so maybe there's no need to rush)

A pity we won't be able to play for the next 8 to 12 hours while the game is in regular Tuesday maintinance.

Oh wait, that's that OTHER game.

People don't know how good they got it till it's gone.

BraXzy

A pity we won't be able to play for the next 8 to 12 hours while the game is in regular Tuesday maintinance.

Oh wait, that's that OTHER game.

People don't know how good they got it till it's gone.

I got scared, and then I laughed. Haha!

E3 has been a bit of a let down so far, lets hope Nintendo drop some crazy stuff today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom