• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

The Underworld version is actually Selene, I think you said you tried that first even, but I like yours better <3

Yeah, that was the first name on the list, Celene was second. That first night was such a mad scramble for names... even with backups for my backups I still had to come up with some names on the spot.

BraXzy

So what was the inspiration for your characters name ?

My necromancer one (Ghir Dhuumsong ) is based on Girr's doom song from Invader Zim .

BraXzy was a name I threw together when I signed up for something a year or two ago. It is the start of my name with letters tagged on the end which looked cool at the time :D

I just went with that for my Thief so people didn't get confused between GAF and in-game (looking at you Gattsby :p) and on my second toon, a Charr Warrior, I tried to follow the Charr lore in terms of naming. BraXzy Bladestorm.

I guess one of the toons I make needs to be called The Whale or something, to appease everyone who expects more of me.

Levyne

Banned
I'm bad at names.

Levyne Lesovik. Levyne is a type of ugly mineral that no one's heard of, isn't used to make anything, people aren't aware it exists unless they already know about it. It's a play off of females often being named after gemstones. Lesovik is a woodland forest creature guardian thing (Ranger).

Speaking of gemstones.

Ruby Valecnik and Citrine Stanznik. Ruby and Citrine are red and yellow gemstones. Valecnik and Straznik mean Warrior and Protector (Warrior, Guardian).

Jenine Hanar. More or less a random name. One of my first MMOs I randomly had the last name Hanar, ths was before it was a weird alien in Mass Effect. I tend to recycle last names. (Elementalist)

I don't even remember my Necros name. It's something random and evil sounding.

I started a Mesmer named "Geist Phantasma" where the meaning is obvious, but he never got very far.

Moondrop

Banned
I am susceptible to peer pressure.

Moondrop - Human Warrior - I thought of this name when I needed to create a character for Monster Hunter Tri. I wanted something with naturalism and fantasy tones.

Yucca - Sylvari Ranger - I made a list of top tier Sylvari names to grab on release and was fortunate to score one.

Thwippa - Asura Elementalist - I tried to follow canon Asura naming conventions for this one. It's actually a portmanteau of "Thwomp" and "Pippa."

Uli Unruly - Norn Mesmer - I'd used another variation of Uli for Baldur's Gate, but then this play on words came to me. Both parts fit with a Norn.

Logistic Leopard - Charr Engineer - More wordplay. You have to amuse yourself; never know when others will decide to be funny. :p

Moondrop

Banned
I never have 'funny' names.
There's kind of a fine line though, right? My last two names are the silliest, but they still "work" as names. But I would never use a name that you couldn't reasonably use to refer to my character as a character.

E.g., the distinction between two players I saw this weekend in sPvP: "Brocc Lee" and "Eviscerates Nerds."

Retro

Works on multiple levels. Nice.

I could four: Bear (druid), Bull (Tauren), Barely Able (he was always making fun of how bad he was), Barely a bull (because druids spend 90% of the game being something else.)

Like father, like son.

You're not wrong, our sense of humor is absolutely genetic. It also helps that he was a railroad engineer for decades; they're essentially truck drivers when it comes to dirty jokes, but they work in pairs, don't have to steer and have to sit for hours in the middle of nowhere when trains need to get past or by each other. A looooot of time to sit and come up with dirty jokes and goofy puns.

There's kind of a fine line though, right? My last two names are the silliest, but they still "work" as names. But I would never use a name that you couldn't reasonably use to refer to my character as a character.

E.g., the distinction between two players I saw this weekend in sPvP: "Brocc Lee" and "Eviscerates Nerds."

Right, but I mean that I'm just way too serious to make a name that, even if it works as a real name, is still funny. It's like the one thing I'm actually super serious about when it comes to MMOs.

Taffer

Almost all my names are shamelessly lifted from TV shows or books I love. If someone recognises it, I know they're good people. Alabaster Codify was recognised pretty often on Gandara, but not once since I moved to SBI sadface sadface.
The only exceptions are Peggy Eighteen (which frankly was going to happen someday, I just got there first) and Sami Mechflood which came about after a RTTP: Advance Wars thread.
Max's indirect units are crap and Andy is a gonk, Sami for life.

xeris

Not going to list all of mine, but here's a few.

xeris = Xerxes. Been using that since Legend of Zelda only let me have 5 letters. I almost never capitalize the x.

Cynthia Frost = Name of one of my characters from the late, lamented City of Heroes

Jeremy Suggs = Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear and Suggs from Madness combined to create the worlds greatest yobbo.

Skizkk = Skeezicks from the Uncle Wiggly series of books.

Eriskali = Goddesses Eris and Kali Yuga

Fin Mac Quinn = Finn McCool and the Mighty Quinn.

Bazzami = Asura necro named after Baron Samedi

Experiment Seven = I noticed that Asura look a bit like Stitch so came up with an, as far as I know, unused number.

Most of the rest are named after earlier MMO characters or inspired by racial lore and suggested names. Other than my Asura Ele Derzapp. The derpiest Asura around.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

My necromancer one (Ghir Dhuumsong ) is based on Girr's doom song from Invader Zim .

giphy.gif

from the book, not the movie
BraXzy was a name I threw together when I signed up for something a year or two ago. It is the start of my name with letters tagged on the end which looked cool at the time :D

I just went with that for my Thief so people didn't get confused between GAF and in-game (looking at you Gattsby :p) and on my second toon, a Charr Warrior, I tried to follow the Charr lore in terms of naming. BraXzy Bladestorm.

I guess one of the toons I make needs to be called The Whale or something, to appease everyone who expects more of me.

I have no idea what you're talking about *twiddles thumbs*
You're third character should be "Barax Whalish Diorama"
Would this best suit an Elementalist? Or a ranger or something? I definitely need to use it at some point though!
"Breezy" for elementalist, after Barax of course.

Sonicbug

I always name my MMO characters after towns in my area. Thus Holbrook Onset, Cotuit, and my sadly under leveled asura Mattapoisett.

Trey

Just a heads up, Breezy is Chris Brown's nickname, and the word breezy itself is a denigrating slang term for a woman (synonym to slut). Two dubious links.

BraXzy

Just a heads up, Breezy is Chris Brown's nickname, and the word breezy itself is a denigrating slang term for a woman (synonym to slut). Two dubious links.

After a quick Google, I can confirm this is indeed true. Hmm. That's a problem..
because Chris Brown sucks

Shiokazu

for names i have

Viljastyrk, the guardian norn, it means the one with willpower in... i think icelandic.

Soloppgang, the sylvari warrior, this one i suget you to simply put her name on google and get amazed at what her name means
sunrise, if you dont feel like. shes also from the cycle of dawn.

the elementalist is called Amaterasu Omiokami, Lady Amaterasu full name, meaning the greatest kami who shines in the heavens. im talking about the real kami from shintoism, not the Ookami representation.

my Sylvari will be renamed to Paprika of the Grove through... if you know satoshi kon you probably know who and what is paprika.

Would this best suit an Elementalist? Or a ranger or something? I definitely need to use it at some point though!

I don't even know what to make of this haha. Why Jebediah?

Sounds like the kinda name a whaler who chomps cigar tips off before lighting them up would have.

Well, Elijah would do too, but elijah wood ruined that name for me.

Plus, have you ever seen welsh names? They're no fun at all. And Ahab is all kinds of cliché.

I guess you could just go with Ambergris, but that`s prolly taken. Bezoar Ambergris prolly aint tho.

Gods, now i want a char with that name.

Character names eh?

In order of creation:

Amberley Gravia: Beta character, an elementalist. Named after the warhammer 40k character.

Isolde Gravia: Elementalist, From the same story as my real first name.

Alexis Gravia: Theif, just love the name honestly.

Ascencia Gravia: Gaurdian, sounded very I dunno, epic like or something.

Rosaceae Gravia: Warrior, a medium-sized family (the rose family) of flowering plants. Guess the race.

Trillian Gravia: Engineer, Named after the character in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Eureka Gravia: Mesmer, thought the name was fun.

Luna Gravia: Ranger, A pun based on the moon.

Beast Brokenclaw.

"Broken" is from the fahrar my Charr were in. All my Charr were in the same fahrar. "Claw" because when it comes to Charr surnames there are a lot of "Smiths" and "Jones", so I figured why fight the obvious. More realistic to have a bland surname than to make up something like "LEETGODKILLER". So Beast chose "Claw", because he's not that imaginative. (Charr choose their own surname prefix or suffix, which is then added on to the name of their fahrar or if they decide to swap warbands later, whatever warband they end up with.

Beast, for no reason.

BraXzy

Damn nice CoF runs with guildies. That seemed crazy quick. Probably because I was there but ya know ;)

It's nice to see Hawk back. Gotta get dem lotto numbers.

Still saving for the helmet, but it isn't as important as the rest of the set.

Super big thanks to all of the GAF members who helped me run Caudecus's Manor day after day! We've actually gotten pretty good at all three paths, haha.

Zeroth

Still saving for the helmet, but it isn't as important as the rest of the set.

Super big thanks to all of the GAF members who helped me run Caudecus's Manor day after day! We've actually gotten pretty good at all three paths, haha.

Not even one name drop? Shameful.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
These are awesome buddy! You should totally draw me as a whale with a top hat and.. idk.. a cup of tea? xD

Gattsby! Why were you online but not playing? I need a leveling buddy!

I played for a bit and then got distracted by dinner. Forgot to log my character out :/

Now that I have my ranger at 80, I can focus on looks. I think I got him to a pretty decent state looking like a boss.

Yohan_zps4fc3f6a3.jpg

Also, while playing some personal story, I noticed a really cool background art I hadn't seen before.

Morokh

Nothing extremely fancy :

Wilkz
It's just a name that I came up with trying to fit with Asuran naming conventions (and that took way longer to find than it should have xD )
I came up with a little story about it at the time, that it was chosen after the noise the 'health monitoring' machine made when it glitched-out during his birth (must certainly be in |OT1| somewhere)

Kentsui
It's my go-to name for years now, and it comes from a pen and paper RPG character I started when I was a teenager, and that still 'lives' this day (15 years later) and that I still play from time to time.
The character is originally a Necromancer / Fighter specialized in fist-fighting combined with magic.
Funny thing, years later after creating the orginal character I found out during a random Google search that there is a martial-art fist technique that has the same name (but may be spelled slightly differently)
Other funny thing I discovered when looking for names, it's the perfect anagram for the name 'Kitsune'

Maevina
Just a name I came up for my Sylvari, and that seemed very fitting.

Anja Vanirkin
When searching for a name for a Norn, it occurred to me that the character I was creating looked like a high school friend of mine so I used the same name spelled in what looked like a more 'nordic' way.
The rest of the name comes from norse mythology, and refers to a group of nordic gods.

Eyja Vanirkin
Placeholder name for a future Norn Elementalist.
Eyja is an actual nordic name and I just found it funny that it looked like the name of my other Norn, so I just went with the idea of making them twin sisters.

Morokh Silvermist
Placeholder name for a Charr Thief, not sure it'll stay that.

But for the story the name Morokh, was a name I came up with for a jaw-less undead character for Wow.
It is supposed to be pronounced in a very guttural way because of that (try it without moving your jaw xD )
In the end I played mostly alliance, so I used it for a Human Paladin out of lack of inspiration for another name.

Skarr Mistweaver
Placeholder name for a future Charr Mesmer, whose looks is shamelessly inspired by our very own Veplerion :D

Only thing i'm missing is a Ranger of some sort, even though I have a human male look that I really like, but the voice acting doesn't fit the look at all and it bothers me very VERY much ..... xD

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm shouldn't it be better to buy the 200 ticket hero weapon and then the 100 ticket upgrade thing to upgrade the weapon into the mistforged version vs. buying the 300 ticket mistforged version? I mean, you'd get two skins vs 1.

Luftar means warrior in Albanian.

Kos is short for Kosova (country I was born in).

Kos also means yogurt in Albanian so I'm either Kosova Warrior or Yogurt Warrior.

Drangue (my warrior) is mythical creature in Albanian stories that I only heard of by searching on a wiki.

Leafy Luftar (my Necro) he is a Sylvari.

Charrdian Luftar (my guardian) is a Charr guardian.

Lufta (my Mesmer), tried to get Luftar but it was taken so just made it that which means war.

Yeah I'm not very imaginative with character naming.

Hmm shouldn't it be better to buy the 200 ticket hero weapon and then the 100 ticket upgrade thing to upgrade the weapon into the mistforged version vs. buying the 300 ticket mistforged version? I mean, you'd get two skins vs 1.
You get both skins even if you buy the 300 ones. Was confirmed on a Ready Up Stream a few weeks ago.

The guild officers defer posting the names of lottery winners on this board due to a recent spat of hacking, and all of a sudden multiple gaffers post their character names?? SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom