• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

The mistforged weapons are alright. I find that the Hero versions of them tend to be better save for a handful which I haven't made note of since none of them really catch my eye anymore.

BraXzy

Ended up with quite a nice haul thanks to that WvW meta. Got the Mistforged Dagger, Hero Shield and Mace, bought some WvW sips which got me an Exotic Shield in the chest.

EDIT: Also, from reddit, this is what a Dota 2 whale looks like. Remember, the game is 100% free to play, zero content is locked behind money.

k7Caorl.jpg

I know I'm not that bad but.. I'm genuinely scared to check my own personal spending on Dota 2. Because it won't be pretty. It's far too easy to spend money on the stuff they constantly bring out. I've pretty much stopped now though.
I now spend it on GW2 lol.

Well now I 1000% percent regret translating. Fuck.

Good song though. Gotta blast that on my drive home.

Yeah that whole translating thing was probably a bad idea :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dang, awesome little patch!

New World Boss Schedule is sweet, Super Teq Damage Party is back and guilds won't need to spawn him to have the reset kill, uncontested waypoints is glorious, little mini Dragon Bash with the Jade skins and Dragon Coffers, Custom Arenas gone gold.

Maybe we should think about pooling together some fundage for a GAF battleground?
I now feel compelled to share this glorious tidbit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wygLNFdUgtw
woah my brain

BraXzy

I ended up getting the Mistforged Dagger. It really does look nice.. since I don't really like the look of anything else, saving the 150 remaining tickets is the best thing to do right?

I don't need the dagger itself so what would be the best thing to do with it? Salvage? Throw it in the Mystic Toilet?

Thorgal

I ended up getting the Mistforged Dagger. It really does look nice.. since I don't really like the look of anything else, saving the 150 remaining tickets is the best thing to do right?

I don't need the dagger itself so what would be the best thing to do with it? Salvage? Throw it in the Mystic Toilet?

Can you gift them or are they account bound ? ?

I am liking those daggers . :p

Retro

Twitter gw2 fan sites say there will be Living Story news everyday this week on the guild wars 2 website, starting with the one I linked above.

GET HYPED!!!

It lists them on the Recap page you linked to;
  • June 18 - The Legacy of Scarlet’s War
  • June 19 - Tara Strong: The Voice Behind the Villain
  • June 20 - Points of Interest
  • June 23 - Lion’s Arch Lament
Crossing my fingers that they avoid large water combat.

I think that was more of a reference to the fact that on the world map, the area is labeled the "Maguuma Wastes", which kind of suggests a desert. I wouldn't be shocked if there's some jungle area, but most of it ends up being arid scrubland or badlands.

Save it for an alt or salvage/flush it. You already have the skin unlocked.

BraXzy

Can you gift them or are they account bound ? ?

I am liking those daggers . :p

I am on a different character atm, but I'm almost certain it will be soulbound/accound bound. Otherwise 2 people could get the skin from one weapon. If not, sure you can have it!

If Thorgal can't have it, I'll flush it with some rare daggers I guess?

Ashodin

It lists them on the Recap page you linked to;
  • June 18 - The Legacy of Scarlet’s War
  • June 19 - Tara Strong: The Voice Behind the Villain
  • June 20 - Points of Interest
  • June 23 - Lion’s Arch Lament

I think that was more of a reference to the fact that on the world map, the area is labeled the "Maguuma Wastes", which kind of suggests a desert. I wouldn't be shocked if there's some jungle area, but most of it ends up being arid scrubland or badlands.

I'm down for arid scrubland.

Mxrz

A lot of the Mistforged weapons look better than I anticipated. Now I'm not sure which I want more. Excellent job by the designers. I'd like to be rational and take a hammer or mace skin, since I only have HoM skins for those, but its hard to resist the sword, axe, bow, dagger, and everything else.

Parfait

Haha its like you can't help yourself you have to rate. And I don't recall giving my feedback nor did gattsby from the looks of things.

Tsk tsk.

I never said anything about you being unable to provide your own scores to make an average, so what if i put mine out there early

Moondrop

Banned
Hammer and mace are the best Mist Forged skins, but I already have a great hammer skin and the best mace skin. And though I'm chronically short on guild commendations, using tickets as a substitute seems like a poor value. I guess I need to look again at the skins across all my alts.

BraXzy

Hammer and mace are the best Mist Forged skins, but I already have a great hammer skin and the best mace skin. And though I'm chronically short on guild commendations, using tickets as a substitute seems like a poor value. I guess I need to look again at the skins across all my alts.

Personally I don't think the Mistforged is necessary on the Mace, just the plain one looks fine. The effect on the Mace is barely noticable. I went with Daggers since they look really nice on my Thief, but I'd have probably gone Sword if not.

Mxrz

Supposedly people are making huge EotM centric guilds, and by being cross server, setting up bag farms. Welp, EotM was nice while it lasted. Uh. Well the wxp was anyway.

Katoki

After a few hours with my heroes mace, I don't care much for it anymore. The mistforged torch on the other hand is gold.

The dagger is account bound even after sigiled, so if you ever roll a necro, elementalist or ranger, it'll be useful. If you ain't going for ascended, you should put some expensive sigil in it.

Maybe we should think about pooling together some fundage for a GAF battleground?
I mentioned that pages ago >___>

Buying via gold is actually more expensive than the gem exchange rate on a good day (10/100 being a good day nowadays). Was 1600 gems. Dunno if the option is still there.
I'll help with the moolah if ya need.

Supposedly people are making huge EotM centric guilds, and by being cross server, setting up bag farms. Welp, EotM was nice while it lasted. Uh. Well the wxp was anyway.

Setting up bag farms is new, but EotM guilds are at least as old as my account. Getting an [EotM] commander is pretty much guaranteed good times.

Hyunashi

Its been a champ train/ karma farm/level your alts zone for ages though. Just probably more organized now, but hey I havent been in EoTM in ages.

Moondrop

Banned
I’ve signed up for a 2v2 sPvP tournament where I’ll probably go ranger. So I’ve been giving even more thought than usual to ranger theorycrafting matters. Hence,

The Sad State of Beastmastery

I used to run a Beastmaster build before the pet damage and leash range nerfs. It was glorious. Can it be salvaged?

The focus of this discussion is building your pet to be a significant combat factor. It is not about pet AI; I find all such complaints invalid, because quite simply I do not consider ranger pets to possess AI. It only attacks the target I tell it when I tell it. It uses its skills on cooldown. What decisions is the AI making?

Pet responsiveness concerns have been similarly overblown; I doubt most people bothered to check the wind-up on their F2 skills. I’ll table discussion of weapons, gear, sigils, runes, and most importantly pet choice for now to discuss pet traits.

I rarely engage in discussion of what the game should be; I try to take the game as it is. But while many trait lines have been polished since release to synergize with prevalent builds, the Beastmastery line remains a mess. Most vexingly, many of the best pet traits are spread all over the board.

To demonstrate my point, below are my tiered rankings for best beastmaster-related traits. If you feel I’m off by a whole tier let me know, but let’s not quibble over intra-tier rankings.

Tier 1: Practically necessary
Loud Whistle – Master Minor – Beastmastery
Agility Training – Adept Major – Skirmishing
Fortifying Bond – Master Minor – Nature Magic
Pet’s Prowess – Adept Major – Skirmishing

Tier 2: Would take if I could
Zephyr’s Speed – Grandmaster Major – Beastmastery
Bountiful Hunter – Grandmaster Minor – Nature Magic
Companion’s Might – Adept Major – Skirmishing
Mighty Swap – Adept Major – Beastmastery
Commanding Voice – Adept Major – Beastmastery

Tier 3: Situationally useful
Shout Mastery – Adept Major – Beastmastery
Rending Attacks – Master Major – Beastmastery
Bark Skin – Grandmaster Major – Wilderness Survival
Instinctual Bond – Adept Minor – Beastmastery
Carnivorous Appetite – Master Major – Skirmishing
Vigorous Training – Master Major – Beastmastery
Invigorating Bond – Grandmaster Major – Beastmastery
Enlargement – Master Major – Nature Magic
Companion’s Defense – Master Minor – Wilderness Survival

Tier 4: You’ll need to invent the situation where these are useful
Speed Training – Adept Major – Beastmastery
Malicious Training – Adept Major – Marksmanship
Alpha Training – Master Minor – Marksmanship
Concentration Training – Adept Major – Nature Magic
Expertise Training – Adept Major – Wilderness Survival
Compassion Training – Adept Major – Beastmastery
Stability Training – Master Major – Beastmastery
Intimidation Training – Master Major – Beastmastery
Natural Healing – Grandmaster Major – Beastmastery
Moment of Clarify – Grandmaster Major – Skirmishing
Master’s Bond – Adept Major – Beastmastery

Yes, I can create builds that utilize all of Tier 1. From there I can go traps, or I can grab the Zephyr’s Speed at the top of Tier 2 and craft a finisher build. I’m skeptical, but I’ll give them a try and report back. To be continued.

Had a really great fractal run last night with GAF, my first difficulty 29 fractal. Felt I did okay, though the increased difficulty was pretty noticeable. A lot more insta-downs, a lot of things hitting much harder. But my Celestial held up pretty well (since I run 3-kit), and more than once I felt EG fumigate was a total ass-saver for the entire party since it removes up to 5 conditions on everyone in the cone, so if sprayed at four people suffering from four to five conditions, it's quite a massive ass-saver.

Still, really glad GAF (and especially Zeroth) restored my faith in Fractals.

Retro

There appears to be a new wallpaper on the official site;

Had a really great fractal run last night with GAF, my first difficulty 29 fractal. Felt I did okay, though the increased difficulty was pretty noticeable. A lot more insta-downs, a lot of things hitting much harder. But my Celestial held up pretty well (since I run 3-kit), and more than once I felt EG fumigate was a total ass-saver for the entire party since it removes up to 5 conditions on everyone in the cone, so if sprayed at four people suffering from four to five conditions, it's quite a massive ass-saver.

Still, really glad GAF (and especially Zeroth) restored my faith in Fractals.

The insta-downs has nothing to do with your Celestial armor, that's the Agony kicking in. It's been hitting me hard too, noticeably more than the rest of the group. Time to use those +1 Agony infusions for... something.

It's funny, Zeroth is kind of the reasons I've been running Fractals again too (we were both in his group the other night). I had run quite a lot of them, but always to help other people learn how, so my level never got about 11. I'm definitely glad there's a regular Fractal group running, I just need to make sure I'm ready when everyone else is.

Zeroth

Glad to hear you people are having fun. I enjoy running Fractals with the GAF folk since it's always tons of fun for me and you all are really talented!

Right now we have a pretty solid team for lv 29 (shout-outs to Rowland, Alabaster and UltimateIke, who have been doing fractals with me practically every day for over 3 weeks now and are one of the main reasons I really love doing them), but I'm considering running lv 19 fractals too more often so people can catch up to us and maybe spread the GAFractal love around.

Levyne

Banned
Man, I remember when I had to go to gw2lfg to find fractal groups and add people who didn't auto kick rangers as contacts. You guys have it so good :p

Zeroth. You're a good person.

Thorgal

Glad to hear you people are having fun. I enjoy running Fractals with the GAF folk since it's always tons of fun for me and you all are really talented!

Right now we have a pretty solid team for lv 29 (shout-outs to Rowland, Alabaster and UltimateIke, who have been doing fractals with me practically every day for over 3 weeks now and are one of the main reasons I really love doing them), but I'm considering running lv 19 fractals too more often so people can catch up to us and maybe spread the GAFractal love around.

I would like to do them with you but due to the time difference , if you only do them after TEQ i can only do fractals on a weekend .

Retro

So... just for the sake of discussion, what exactly seems to be ArenaNet's problem when it comes to marketing? Beyond the cringe-worthy "Our Time is Now" trailer, the lack of merchandise (no T-shirts, no hats, no plush quaggans, etc.), the site's store being mostly links to Amazon and in one laughable instance, Penny Arcade for the now sold out "Art of Guild Wars 2" book (Penny Arcade itself would only discuss GW2 in so far as Gabe's account was hacked and they once said the game "wasn't fun to play."), today's reveal was... interesting.

Their site basically has all of these locked articles off their "A Look back at Season One" pages with dates attached, implying that there's a slow drip of news to come out in the next few days leading up to the next update.

But today's reveal was simply a link to a phoned in recap on IGN that was published yesterday. They're literally linking to old, bad news. There's more comments (negative, of course) than article at that link, which makes me wonder why ArenaNet is so gung-ho to hype up things for their "media partners" when this article is such shit. It's wrong (the Living Story didn't start with Dragon Bash), it's meager (it might as well just be a bullet point list of events), it's boring. If you want to get people excited for Season 2, the last thing you want to do is bore them.

I just don't get it. There should be a lot more going on two weeks out, but so far we've gotten a recap video and a half-assed recap on IGN (of all sites, why IGN?). The bar is kinda low, you think we'd have heard something. Maybe they're waiting until next week to drop the hammer, but then... why the little snippets this week?

maybe spread the GAFractal love around.

I read this as GAF Rectal. But that can't possibly be because we're all (mostly) cunts, not assholes.
JUWnj.gif

Zeroth

Man, I remember when I had to go to gw2lfg to find fractal groups and add people who didn't auto kick rangers as contacts. You guys have it so good :p

Zeroth. You're a good person.

Thanks Levyne, you're a good person too despite being, you know, a ranger.

I would like to do them with you but due to the time difference , if you only do them after TEQ i can only do fractals on a weekend .

I do know the time is a bit tricky for you people on the other side of the globe. I know spiritfox wanted to join in too but the time is a bit prohibitive. Particularly, I tend to be online at a time I imagine you all are sleeping, so it's a bit of a bad timing on our part. That said, I could do some extra runs on weekends for you people on Asia.

Thank you Zeroth for letting me fractal with you even though I suck at the game

Don't be like that Em, I love when you join us and you are far more talented than you imagine ;)

So... just for the sake of discussion, what exactly seems to be ArenaNet's problem when it comes to marketing? Beyond the cringe-worthy "Our Time is Now" trailer, the lack of merchandise (no T-shirts, no hats, no plush quaggans, etc.), the site's store being mostly links to Amazon and in one laughable instance, Penny Arcade for the now sold out "Art of Guild Wars 2" book (Penny Arcade itself would only discuss GW2 in so far as Gabe's account was hacked and they once said the game "wasn't fun to play."), today's reveal was... interesting.

Their site basically has all of these locked articles off their "A Look back at Season One" pages with dates attached, implying that there's a slow drip of news to come out in the next few days leading up to the next update.

But today's reveal was simply a link to a phoned in recap on IGN that was published yesterday. They're literally linking to old, bad news. There's more comments (negative, of course) than article at that link, which makes me wonder why ArenaNet is so gung-ho to hype up things for their "media partners" when this article is such shit. It's wrong (the Living Story didn't start with Dragon Bash), it's meager (it might as well just be a bullet point list of events), it's boring. If you want to get people excited for Season 2, the last thing you want to do is bore them.

I just don't get it. There should be a lot more going on two weeks out, but so far we've gotten a recap video and a half-assed recap on IGN (of all sites, why IGN?). The bar is kinda low, you think we'd have heard something. Maybe they're waiting until next week to drop the hammer, but then... why the little snippets this week?

I noticed people on reddit are bashing this too. I guess they want to spread the word so they can focus on S2, but I do find this marketing push questionable too. Well, I guess we have to wait and see?

inb4 absolute silence until the July patch hits and we get 2 new continents with over 30 explorable maps each and 3 new races and classes along with SAB 3.0.

I read this as GAF Rectal. But that can't possibly be because we're all (mostly) cunts, not assholes.
JUWnj.gif

Now, this is why we can't have nice things.

So... just for the sake of discussion, what exactly seems to be ArenaNet's problem when it comes to marketing?

To be 100% honest, and no offense to Anet's current PR company or whoever is in charge of their PR - they need a new PR company, or new PR staff. Not the Twitter support team - those lads and ladies are awesome.

But they need a more focused, more enthusiastic, and possibly in-house PR team that exists only to keep the GW2 hype going, to disseminate information about upcoming and current patches, etc.

I really don't know who's in charge of GW2's marketing/PR, but I feel they've done a terrible job so far. Their own disinterest shows through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom