• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hythloday

To be 100% honest, and no offense to Anet's current PR company or whoever is in charge of their PR - they need a new PR company, or new PR staff. Not the Twitter support team - those lads and ladies are awesome.

But they need a more focused, more enthusiastic, and possibly in-house PR team that exists only to keep the GW2 hype going, to disseminate information about upcoming and current patches, etc.

I really don't know who's in charge of GW2's marketing/PR, but I feel they've done a terrible job so far. Their own disinterest shows through.

I totally agree with all of this.. Some of the "slogans" they've come out just missed the mark. The "expansion's worth of content" that Colin got bashed for was allegedly due to marketing influence, and the "DLC every 2 weeks" wasn't right either. I feel like they've got an amazing product but they've made some missteps in marketing it. Not that they're exactly hurting for it, but still. Plush quaggans damnit. They'd make so much money.

This looks oddly...Canthan to me.

To me it just looks like the Labyrinthine Cliffs. More Zephyrite stuff? If it lead into Season 2 it would make a lot of sense with the Festival already going on.

Now, this is why we can't have nice things.

I say this to him a lot actually

Right now we have a pretty solid team for lv 29 (shout-outs to Rowland, Alabaster and UltimateIke, who have been doing fractals with me practically every day for over 3 weeks now and are one of the main reasons I really love doing them)...

You're right, it does feel nice to be name dropped.

Fractals are a ton of fun, so I'm really happy to be a part of them!

Thorgal

After a lot of sweat , blood and tears my Necromancer has become the first character of mine to reach lvl 80 today .

I decided to give him Drybone armor .

And as if the game wanted to congratulate me itself , Shadow behemoth dropped the staff "Final rest" today .

All in all . a great day .

gw22014-06-1900-18-534os6t.jpg

gw22014-06-1900-19-08dqszw.jpg

Retro

I noticed people on reddit are bashing this too. I guess they want to spread the word so they can focus on S2, but I do find this marketing push questionable too. Well, I guess we have to wait and see?

inb4 absolute silence until the July patch hits and we get 2 new continents with over 30 explorable maps each and 3 new races and classes along with SAB 3.0.

I saw that myself while GAF was down today. I'm not so much bashing it as I am scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on. So many missed opportunities, strange choices and missteps. It wasn't that long ago we were discussing how folks at trade shows and such don't even know GW2 is still alive anymore, and a big part of that is marketing. It's not like there haven't been big things going on, not just in terms of GW2 but in terms of gaming in general (the Living Story's release cadence, for example).

I dunno. Word of mouth has obviously been good for the game so far, and I wonder how many people an advertising campaign would really reach. It's just that apart from stuff like the Atlas (who was that targeted towards?) and today's reveal (the article was posted yesterday, and nobody on Reddit even thought it was worth posting for some quick karma), there doesn't even seem to be a marketing department. So when we get comments from Colin like "something like “expansions worth of content” means different things to everyone . . . which is a big part of why marketing stepped away from that plan very quickly after asking us to use it when speaking to the press/fans." it's just an absolute head-scratcher. Who really thought that was a good idea? What other awful ideas are they floating around internally?

Now, this is why we can't have nice things.

Don't blame me, blame Cliffy B.

To be 100% honest, and no offense to Anet's current PR company or whoever is in charge of their PR - they need a new PR company, or new PR staff. Not the Twitter support team - those lads and ladies are awesome.

But they need a more focused, more enthusiastic, and possibly in-house PR team that exists only to keep the GW2 hype going, to disseminate information about upcoming and current patches, etc.

I really don't know who's in charge of GW2's marketing/PR, but I feel they've done a terrible job so far. Their own disinterest shows through.

I don't want to be one of those gamers who sits around and says "So-and-So should be fired" (which is actually the most polite way of saying it, usually those kind of comments end with rape or murder) just because a vidyagame isn't being marketed as well as a bunch of gamers think it should. Most of those comments ignore that there are actual people doing that work with families and such to support, and it's not an easy job to do.

I'm not saying people should get sacked, but I guess I'm just trying to get my head around what the heck is going on. Because it seems like when they're doing something, they're all over the place in terms of messaging and audience (who was that live action trailer for?!), and otherwise they're just no where to be found. The Atlas is an out-of-game version of the in-map you have to hunt for locations to unlock... articles from other gaming sites? Is it supposed to be an ARG/viral marketing kinda thing? Is it supposed to give people sneak previews? Then why is it linking to articles that just get posted on twitter and reddit before they're linked to the Atlas? It just seems like somebody in the marketing department said "Oh, Game Company X has that, so we should do something like that too!" without really understanding why something like I Love Bees works.

Likewise with the "Our Time is Now" trailer; what the heck? Goth girls in hoodies and gas masks running around the city tagging stuff? Teenagers hanging out on the beach walking on coals? Super models swimming in underwater hotel rooms? Who the hell is that supposed to target? And when they finally do cut to gameplay footage, it's people walking and a dragon; the two biggest fantasy tropes in the world. Who was supposed to get excited for the game watching.... that? It wasn't for people already excited about the game, because stuff like the Manifesto was infinitely more exciting. Was it for gamers who hadn't heard of GW2? It didn't appeal to anything that gamers usually go for (like gameplay footage). Non-gamers? It didn't even seem like an advertisement for a game, it was like an anti-drug or self-esteem PSA.

I just can't figure out what the goal is with the few times marketing actually does something, or why they seem to have such a small presence (and I don't mean at trade shows and stuff like that).

And yeah, the folks who handle twitter and facebook and such are top notch. So much of the work that comes out of ArenaNet is top notch, which is why their marketing issues seem so out of sorts.

This looks oddly...Canthan to me.

It's still Labyrinthine Cliffs, but I don't recognize the character. I do have a feeling that Season 2 will use the Bazaar as a springboard.

Moondrop

Banned
My hypothesis is there was very significant turnover in the marketing department around the time GW2 was released.

Remember how strong the pre-release marketing was? I was part of their target audience- a lifelong gamer who had only dabbled in MMOs. They promised a different type of MMO, and I was hooked well before Beta.

GW2's strongest selling point- that's it's an active, non-grindy, non-subscription MMO- still sets it apart from the back. They should return to hammering that line toward casual and console gamers.

BraXzy

So... just for the sake of discussion, what exactly seems to be ArenaNet's problem when it comes to marketing? Beyond the cringe-worthy "Our Time is Now" trailer, the lack of merchandise (no T-shirts, no hats, no plush quaggans, etc.), the site's store being mostly links to Amazon and in one laughable instance, Penny Arcade for the now sold out "Art of Guild Wars 2" book (Penny Arcade itself would only discuss GW2 in so far as Gabe's account was hacked and they once said the game "wasn't fun to play."), today's reveal was... interesting.

I agree there definitely needs to be more done to get the game out there. Sure it's two years old but it's still going strong and obviously it's still being supported so they should be trying to bring more and more people in. I can't even remember how I found out about the game in the first place, I remember being hyped pre-release and not having the time or money. When I saw the half price deal recently, I remembered how hyped I was pre-release and decided to just go for it. Besides that, there wasn't any trailer or something that caught my interest.

More merchandise would be cool though. I'd certainly end up buying something. I think Valve do a pretty good job of merchandise for their games. They've got statues, plushes, posters, phone cases.. all sorts. Maybe Anet just decided the store wasn't that important and it probably hasn't brought in a lot of revenue so idk. Valve store for reference: http://store.valvesoftware.com/index.php?t=2

Had a really great fractal run last night with GAF, my first difficulty 29 fractal. Felt I did okay, though the increased difficulty was pretty noticeable. A lot more insta-downs, a lot of things hitting much harder.

It's funny, Zeroth is kind of the reasons I've been running Fractals again too (we were both in his group the other night). I had run quite a lot of them, but always to help other people learn how, so my level never got about 11.

Pfft. You guys need to step up your game, my very first Fractal was a level 29 and it went quite smoothly.

It was damn hard and Zeroth et al were the only thing that made it a smooth run :p

I read this as GAF Rectal. But that can't possibly be because we're all (mostly) cunts, not assholes.
JUWnj.gif

Speak for yourself! I did read it that way too though hehe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ArenaNet's PR/marketing department is suffering primarily from one major issue which is not having hired me to be in charge of it, but for some reason seems not to be an easy fix. Their events marketing (expos and tradeshows and the like) seems quite good and pretty on point most of the time. But the active promotion of the game and its feature sets in their collateral is often merely passable, and sometimes awful. The release pages that are supposed to elucidate upcoming features are always an exercise in sourcing the exact meanings out from vague allusions that could often be misinterpreted, leading to dev clarification on the forums. Ad content ranges from inoffensive (holiday promotion videos) to bizarre (Tower of Nightmares metalfest) to fantastic (Fractured introduction video), like their production team has multiple personality disorder. Shrug, it's been this way since gw1 anyway. I guess ultimately the silver lining is that it's a testament to the games having been able to flourish on their own quality rather than promotion. I would be shocked if, as Miktar alluded to, they actually hired any sort of PR or marketing firm for stuff on the scale of this week's updates. Ironically enough the Our Time is Now video, in contrast, is almost positively the work of an outside advertising firm. I could go into why that spot ended up the way it did, but I can possibly summarize by just answering the question "Who was supposed to get excited for the game watching.... that?" with "Not us."

Anyway I don't actually agree that "There should be a lot more going on two weeks out." I think the better move here would have actually been radio silence until the 1st or the day before. But whatever, content is king. Loathe as I am to take potshots at my livelihood, I'd rather the product excel and the marketing continue to be de-emphasized internally than the other way around.
Moondrop said:
My hypothesis is there was very significant turnover in the marketing department around the time GW2 was released
It's actually possible the pre-release Marketing videos were done externally too. But I'm sure you're right, post-launch I doubt the team was given as much priority.
Remember how strong the pre-release marketing was? I was part of their target audience- a lifelong gamer who had only dabbled in MMOs. They promised a different type of MMO, and I was hooked well before Beta.

GW2's strongest selling point- that's it's an active, non-grindy, non-subscription MMO- still sets it apart from the back. They should return to hammering that line toward casual and console gamers.[/QUOTE]
They were at their best when either just showing the world without narration alongside Jeremy Soule's score, or just letting the devs geek out and talk directly to the camera regarding what they liked about their game.

Ultimately, I think they still manage to sell the game on that point you just mentioned because it's easily delivered via word-of-mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another campaign that invokes "no subscription" by the end of season 2, though.

Retro

My hopes and dreams are the plane. You both are in the van.

I need to go create a character named Van Dreamkiller

My hypothesis is there was very significant turnover in the marketing department around the time GW2 was released.

GW2's strongest selling point- that's it's an active, non-grindy, non-subscription MMO- still sets it apart from the back. They should return to hammering that line toward casual and console gamers.

That's entirely possible, or NCSoft was helping cover the pre-release expenses and that all went away with launch (though I see Wildstar ads everywhere so I don't think that's it, exactly). I know what got me excited was the Manifesto video; I had been saying stuff like that for YEARS while hanging out in WoW waiting for things to happen, or on MMO Champion when trying to 'fix' the game via long posts, in comments and on blogs. To suddenly have a major game developer (especially one with the pedigree of Guild Wars) saying that sort of thing was exciting. Actual discussion of the gameplay mechanics and footage of the game in action. If there was one lesson to take away from this year's E3, it's that showing the game, showing it being played, and talking about how it plays is monumentally more interesting than a 30 second CGI teaser buried between 5 minutes of marketing speak from guys looking hard to be "business casual". That's why Nintendo's Treehouse Live was dominating the shit out of even Twitch's Official E3 stream. They were actually showing/playing/talking about the game, not just trying to sell you on it.

Already kind of ranty here, and dinner is almost done, but let me quickly add that you're absolutely 100% right; GW2's lack of a subscription alone should be a huge point of all their discussions, and it's a central point from which other topics can originate and orbit. For example, the "no grind" point; because they don't need you to keep paying a subscription, there's no reason to have a grind, and you can come back whenever you want and pick right up where you left off. The Living Story is the fastest any major game has delivered content, and it's all for free. Everything can kind of circle out from that single, easy-to-grasp concept. Humans are basically trained at this point to perk up when they see/hear the word "Free".

My copy of Guild Wars has a big red label on it "FREE ONLINE PLAY". Both sides. Right there, in your face. With the last three major MMO launches (FFXIV:ARR, TESO, Wildstar) being sub-based games, that's just as big a selling point now as it was then. I don't get why we don't hear about it more often. Maybe there's the supposed stigma against F2P games and they're worried people will see "free" and automatically assume it's going to be some nickel-and-dime P2W affair. I still think it would be better to get a few people who can see past that playing than nobody at all which seems to be what they're doing now.

I don't want to be one of those gamers who sits around and says "So-and-So should be fired".

I don't want to be that type either. That's why I didn't say anyone should be fired. Rather, that I think ArenaNet needs a new or additional PR department focused on the exact issues being raised here and on reddit. Everyone can tell something's wrong.

I deal with a lot of PR in my line of work, so I might be sounding overly critical - but it's clear whoever is in charge of GW2's PR does need to either rethink their focus, or move on to a different project. I mean zero ill will, I'm talking entirely pragmatically.

The people that make the games are rarely in charge of the marketing. So, my guess is NCSoft keeps hiring firms to work on GW2's marketing, and these firms are just a bad fit. Either NCSoft doesn't want to spend the money, or I don't know. Why doesn't ArenaNet make their own hire, I don't know either, or if they are, why aren't they being a bit more picky over who handles their message.

Guild Wars 2 is one of the best MMOs on the market right now, being let down by poor brand management. That's just the unavoidable truth. And it really sucks.

EDIT: It reminds me of two additional things that have been on my mind.

ArenaNet needs to start an affiliate program with third-party app makers, with regards to API utilization and integration. The GW2 app scene should be *far* more advanced than it is, and only NOW is the API (v2) starting to show signs of opening up things that should have been open from the start, like character details.

The website should have been letting you load up and share character profiles, see your crafting lists, etc. Like WoW, I hate to say, or D3 if you want to avoid using an MMO comparison.

All these things, combined with the PR situation, is making me think ArenaNet just doesn't have the staff to manage all the secondary things that need managing, and the people being put in charge of them are either over their heads, or unsure of what to do. Victims of their own success, as it were.

Double edit:

Meanwhile, I'm watching people on the forums throw a shitfit because they transferred from NA to EU after the WvW season ended, and couldn't get their reward from the Battle Historian. ArenaNet actually goes WELL above the call of duty and has support LET THEM TRANSFER FOR FREE back to NA to get their reward, and then back to EU... and people are STILL acting like ArenaNet killed their dog after all that.

Man.

Any chance ANETs PR firm is decided by publisher? Isn't the publisher the one who puts in the money for marketing?

I think if be more pissed about today's news and the shitty marketing if I wasn't busy with the World Cup.

Hope LS2 is as good as I have hyped it in my mind. Probably won't be, sadly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No one should be fired because Guild Wars 2 for the moment remains a phenomenally successful product and ArenaNet/NCSoft a successful dev/publisher pairing. For all the faults that may lie in various areas of the company, they're a team, and they're doing well so far. Let's wait until there are actually financial or strategic problems of some kind before advocating staff changes. Again, considering the product and market in which they're competing, I'd rather the marketing be the weakest aspect of the organization than just about anything else, and I say that as someone who is required to understand how important marketing is.

Miktar, I really don't think outside firms are being contracted for a majority of this stuff, outside of specific spots and I'd give that a maybe. I don't think it would make sense financially (note: does not apply to China). As for the "whys" punctuating the last sentence of that paragraph I have to point you to the aforementioned success. I'm really not sure I can even follow you into your "unavoidable truth." GW2 could certainly have much better marketing, PR and customer communications than it does now, but are those things actually what make an MMO successful and act as brand differentiation?

edit: Thorgal grats on your 80! :D

BraXzy

My hopes and dreams are the plane. You both are in the van.

oP9R0pq.gif

I KNEW you were a plane. This is definitely you.

tiXE2AB.gif

Kos Lufter said:
Any chance ANETs PR firm is decided by publisher? Isn't the publisher the one who puts in the money for marketing?

I think if be more pissed about today's news and the shitty marketing if I wasn't busy with the World Cup.

Most probably. That's usually the case isn't it? The one thing I would say about the whole lack of marketing.. sure it could be better, but maybe they are content with how things are? They might not see a need to fund something significant if things are going well financially through the gem store etc.

That's not to say more could be done, especially in terms of messaging and such.

Again, I never said anyone should be fired. Saying they need a new PR company doesn't mean anyone is being fired, only that people are being moved from one project to a different one.

Sure, GW2 is doing fine in terms of sales. ArenaNet is doing fine financially. NCSoft is posting great quarterly financials. Doesn't mean a company can't improve on its branding. Coca Cola doesn't advertise only when they need to improve sales - they do it to keep their image healthy in the zeitgeist.

And I think that's one area where GW2 could improve. That's all.

You don't want your PR to be a response to failing sales. You want it to be a natural part of brand upkeep.

But the outsourcing of some of the PR, like the IGN article, the Atlas being done by MMORPG.com, etc... that stuff isn't working out, I think.

Look at it this way. You can go on a crash diet or get your stomach stapled due to weight issues, or you can make regular, daily adjustments to your eating habits for a net benefit in the future. I'd rather ArenaNet not need to try and solve a BIG problem LATER due to lax PR now, and instead just make small improvements to their PR now so they can benefit from it later.

Because I think it is important ArenaNet start addressing these issues now, while they are clearly doing well.

I think today I make my Ascended chestpiece, once reset happens. That's helm, shoulders and chest done. I need to decide on a Rune set for it eventually. I love Travellers, because I love having that permanent speed boost, but I realize it's probably not the best fit.

EDIT: As for all this PR talk, etc... all my concerns might be moot. The China launch is almost done (wind-down, etc), so perhaps now ArenaNet will refocus on all the other areas that have fallen into a bit of disrepair.

The China launch is almost done (wind-down, etc), so perhaps now ArenaNet will refocus on all the other areas that have fallen into a bit of disrepair.
How'd the launch work out ?
I know they were hyped for it and it's been a month already.
Any complaints on their part ?

Moondrop

Banned
I love Travellers, because I love having that permanent speed boost, but I realize it's probably not the best fit.

How can an engi of all classes need that speed boost? You've got Speedy Kits right there for permanent swiftness. Even if you use my stupendously awesome 0-kit build, there's Power Shoes.

How'd the launch work out ?
I know they were hyped for it and it's been a month already.
Any complaints on their part ?

No clue. Just like its release in the West, when I do searches all I find are 'GW2 is dead/dying/ articles regarding China. I know it had a massive pre-sale figure (half a mill I think), but generally the only news people seem to bother reporting on when it comes to GW2, be it in China or anywhere else, is when it fails, or that it is failing, or that players are voting it 'worst thing ever', etc. So I just stopped bothering to even look at GW2 news on most sites.

But if I had to guess: I'd say the launch went well in China, and the game is doing well, and for the most part, the Chinese community is loving it, aside from the few changes the publisher there made to add in grind, like the weird 'unlocking things at certain levels' stuff, and the VIP stuff, etc. I heard some complaints against all the changes made to make the game more 'suited' to the Chinese market (since many Chinese players tried the EU/NA version and realize these changes have been made).

But beyond that, I honestly have no idea how GW2 is doing in China, until we get the first quarter financials.

How can an engi of all classes need that speed boost? You've got Speedy Kits right there for permanent swiftness. Even if you use my stupendously awesome 0-kit build, there's Power Shoes.

Because I don't use Speedy Kits (I prefer Static Discharge). And I don't use Power Shoes because I don't go into the Inventions trait line. I don't *need* the Traveller's speed boost, I just like having it. Rune of the Traveler was also a cheap alternative to Divinity.

BraXzy

LOL. That's meant to say Most.

I think today I make my Ascended chestpiece, once reset happens. That's helm, shoulders and chest done. I need to decide on a Rune set for it eventually. I love Travellers, because I love having that permanent speed boost, but I realize it's probably not the best fit.

I haven't even looked into Ascended gear properly yet. I'm content with Exo on my Thief for now. The only Ascended thing I have is a trinket from a Laurel vendor.

I think I'll probably end up doing so on my Warrior, I want to have a nice long term goal and that is probably full ascended + Twilight.

LOL. That's meant to say Most.

I haven't even looked into Ascended gear properly yet. I'm content with Exo on my Thief for now. The only Ascended thing I have is a trinket from a Laurel vendor.

I think I'll probably end up doing so on my Warrior, I want to have a nice long term goal and that is probably full ascended + Twilight.

I made myself an Ascended Pistol and Shield over a year ago, and then I started down the road to a Legendary, so that took most of my focus until now. Now that I have my Legendary, and no low-hanging AP to go for, I needed a goal, and getting a full set of Ascended seemed like a good idea. I held off on Ascended armour for a while, because I was unsure of myself and the stat I run (full Celestial, all armour, all weapons, all trinkets).

So I got myself a full set of exotic Zerk armour with all the trimmings, full zerk ascended amulets/rings/trinkets, and an exotic Zerk rifle, and messed around with that for a month or so.

I've Mystic Forged all my Zerk armour now, and the weapon. I made up my mind to stick with my Zengineer build of full Celestial, and damn what the min/maxers or "meta" says.

Zeroth

Ascended is a money sink, simply put. Its the kind of stuff you dont priorize since its benefits are only noticeable for fractals, so I recommend investing in quality of life stuff first

Ascended is a money sink, simply put. Its the kind of stuff you dont priorize since its benefits are only noticeable for fractals, so I recommend investing in quality of life stuff first

I don't even know how to give Ascended armour that extra slot thingy for the combinable Agony infusions..

BraXzy

I'll keep that in mind.

My client is downloading something. Another small patch went out?

Besaide

I made myself an Ascended Pistol and Shield over a year ago, and then I started down the road to a Legendary, so that took most of my focus until now. Now that I have my Legendary, and no low-hanging AP to go for, I needed a goal, and getting a full set of Ascended seemed like a good idea. I held off on Ascended armour for a while, because I was unsure of myself and the stat I run (full Celestial, all armour, all weapons, all trinkets).

So I got myself a full set of exotic Zerk armour with all the trimmings, full zerk ascended amulets/rings/trinkets, and an exotic Zerk rifle, and messed around with that for a month or so.

I've Mystic Forged all my Zerk armour now, and the weapon. I made up my mind to stick with my Zengineer build of full Celestial, and damn what the min/maxers or "meta" says.

Celestial rifle engineer is very solid for Spvp and WvW unless you get condi bombed and don't dodge/block it. Thinking about crafting a set for WvW and swapping it between my engineer, ranger, and thief.

If you're talking about pve then you can always use the armor set and swap out trinkets to zerkers and it won't make that much of a difference.

Celestial rifle engineer is very solid for Spvp and WvW unless you get condi bombed and don't dodge/block it. Thinking about crafting a set for WvW and swapping it between my engineer, ranger, and thief.

If you're talking about pve then you can always use the armor set and swap out trinkets to zerkers and it won't make that much of a difference.

Pistol+Shield in PvP, WvW, and PvE. I've seen what the effective change is when running Zerk trinkets vs Celestial (like, 60% damage vs highest with only a drop of 20% survivability ,or something), and nah. I'll stick with 100% Celestial all the way.

I'll keep that in mind.

My client is downloading something. Another small patch went out?

K6KJ0jk.png

Retro

Who wants a mega post?

Too bad, you're getting one. I'll throw in a cat picture and some storytime to make it entertaining.

I agree there definitely needs to be more done to get the game out there. Sure it's two years old but it's still going strong and obviously it's still being supported so they should be trying to bring more and more people in. I can't even remember how I found out about the game in the first place, I remember being hyped pre-release and not having the time or money. When I saw the half price deal recently, I remembered how hyped I was pre-release and decided to just go for it. Besides that, there wasn't any trailer or something that caught my interest.

Would it be a fair assessment that GW2GAF is probably the ones who brought that price point to your attention? Because even when the game goes on sale, I don't see anything about it in ads. When it was 50% off, the most buzz outside of twitter and facebook was a blurb on Massively (which did the disservice of name-dropping TESO right at the end of the article). That sort of thing should have had a free trial weekend and advertising plastered everywhere. New players are introduced to the game, people who have stopped playing will be reminded they own the game. The one downside I can think of is that people might get burned out, but in contrast to not seeing anything, I think it'd be worth the risk.

More merchandise would be cool though. I'd certainly end up buying something. I think Valve do a pretty good job of merchandise for their games. They've got statues, plushes, posters, phone cases.. all sorts. Maybe Anet just decided the store wasn't that important and it probably hasn't brought in a lot of revenue so idk. Valve store for reference: http://store.valvesoftware.com/index.php?t=2

I'm funny when it comes to merchandise. I picked up a whole anti-corporate streak when I was a teenager and just never bothered to come back, so I do not, as a rule, have T-shirts with anything on them. I'm also not a hat person. But I would buy a Plush quaggan for my desk in a heartbeat (all nerds want a big desk with fanboy crap they can put on top of it). If they had a full-sized poster, I'd buy one and frame it (Apartment, so we can't get the wall decals). I'd absolutely buy a GW2 phone case, and I could use a new mousepad here in the future too. I don't think I'm alone in this. I also think there'd be just as many people who don't give two shits about plush quaggans (monsters!) but would totally buy a T-Shirt.

ArenaNet's PR/marketing department is suffering primarily from one major issue which is not having hired me to be in charge of it

I almost choked on my dinner thanks to this comment.

The release pages that are supposed to elucidate upcoming features are always an exercise in sourcing the exact meanings out from vague allusions that could often be misinterpreted, leading to dev clarification on the forums. Ad content ranges from inoffensive (holiday promotion videos) to bizarre (Tower of Nightmares metalfest) to fantastic (Fractured introduction video), like their production team has multiple personality disorder.

Ugh, I had forgotten the Nightmare Tower guitar contest. Again, that seems like such an odd concept, like someone doesn't really understand how to market a game so they just sort of pull things from the ether. Who wants a Guild Wars 2-themed guitar? What's the connection besides the trailer with a horribly mismatched music choice? Maybe if they had launched in-game musical instruments with it, it'd make sense. As it played out, it was like having a contest where Cat Fancy readers can win a snowboard with a kitten on it.

216vss40.jpg

The problem is, sometimes the schizophrenic thing DOES work, which makes me think that there are some really great, clever people who are maybe just utilized the wrong way or aren't given enough direction. For example, for the Tequatl Rising release. Awesome trailer. Shows you what you wanted to know; big dragon, lots of people fighting, a big wave that didn't exist before to show you things have changed. Release page is pretty clear, shows you what's coming, rewards, etc. Then somebody went and did this badass poster;

That is completely at odds with the trailer and the release page, but I love it, and it works. The Tequatl logo is straight off the cover of a 70s monster movie VHS tape. The poster evokes the imagery of Jaws. It's playful, and it stands out in the sea of faux-epic grimdark pre-rendered trailers for "Yet Another WoW Patch™" and their ilk. Maybe the poster was just one of the artists having a goof, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work. But I also know that when it first came out, a lot of people didn't get it, and maybe the fact that I'm kind of a retro sci-fi/monster movie aficionado colors my perception (I am the guy with the Godzilla figure keeping an eye on my plush Charr), and I'm just seeing a connection where there wasn't one.

Like I said, there are sometimes where it works (that Fractal trailer is so damn good), but so many times where it just absolutely doesn't. Thus, the discussion trying to figure out why.

Anyway I don't actually agree that "There should be a lot more going on two weeks out." I think the better move here would have actually been radio silence until the 1st or the day before. But whatever, content is king. Loathe as I am to take potshots at my livelihood, I'd rather the product excel and the marketing continue to be de-emphasized internally than the other way around.

The problem with letting the content sell itself is that without some way for people who don't follow the game regularly (i.e. don't read Reddit, don't follow on twitter, don't visit MMO sites often) will completely miss out that there's something new. We all know something is coming, but what about the guy who played it for six months and then went to go play Call of Duty or whatever released around that time? Or the guy who played until they took a break at Christmas and never came back? Surely the goal of advertising is to say "Hey, there's big things going on, you don't want to miss out" to both the people who have never played before and the folks who have stopped playing for whatever reason. That last group especially since the appeal of a Buy-to-Play MMO is that you're never more than a reinstall away from a ton of content.

They were at their best when either just showing the world without narration alongside Jeremy Soule's score, or just letting the devs geek out and talk directly to the camera regarding what they liked about their game.

That's what did it for me; actual gameplay footage and the devs being open, honest and excited, in contrast to most MMOs where it's a CGI trailer and the devs seem to drift between apathy and contempt for their players. And it got me moist. Right, Braxzy?

Moist probably.

Yeah, probably moist.

I don't want to be that type either. That's why I didn't say anyone should be fired. Rather, that I think ArenaNet needs a new or additional PR department focused on the exact issues being raised here and on reddit. Everyone can tell something's wrong.

I really didn't mean to single you out here or sound accusatory. From the Starbound dev having bit of a rant on Twitter over people threatening to kill / rape them for not having the game out yet, to the Phil Fish video that's making the rounds, to the usual E3 shenanigans and Cliffy B's comments about GAF, I've been more aware than usual (which is usually quite aware) how gamers speak of and behave towards game developers. Especially since a handful of tiny decisions could have resulted in me being one of them and experiencing that kind of vitrol from the other side (and I think you guys know me well enough to know how badly I'd handle it).

Hope LS2 is as good as I have hyped it in my mind. Probably won't be, sadly.

Mo (that's Mike O'Brien to you plebs) invited me over for brunch last week. Midway through the third most-delicious nicoise I've ever had the privilege to enjoy, he commented that he'd recently watched a Let's Play video of Final Fantasy 7. While we were relaxing in the sauna afterwords, he mentioned that he thought it would be très fantastique if players entered the Maguuma Wastes and in the middle of the desert there was a big Asura-run theme park, just like the Golden Saucer. I agreed enthusiastically as I ladled another cup of water over the warm stones.

A few hours and cigars later, we came to the subject of content. We both agreed that just like the Golden Saucer, there should be lots of things to do; Moa racing, a battle arena, games of chance. All with their own special currency that doesn't transfer out and can only be spent on very basic items like common cooking recipes and gag weapons like a mop, so players wouldn't feel obligated and could just indulge in the fun and games without thinking about rewards. From the plush, overstuffed chair opposite me, illuminated by the fireplace in the otherwise darkened study of O'Brien Manor, I saw a smile gleam through the fine crystal of his brandy snifter, and then he spoke, almost too quiet to hear;

"This will fucking ruin Kos Luftar's week."

We both laughed, then ate a kitten, because that's what rich people do with all of the money they have from tax loopholes and the Illuminati slush fund.

Mo (that's Mike O'Brien to you plebs) invited me over for brunch last week. Midway through the third most-delicious nicoise I've ever had the privilege to enjoy, he commented that he'd recently watched a Let's Play video of Final Fantasy 7. While we were relaxing in the sauna afterwords, he mentioned that he thought it would be très fantastique if players entered the Maguuma Wastes and in the middle of the desert there was a big Asura-run theme park, just like the Golden Saucer. I agreed enthusiastically as I ladled another cup of water over the warm stones.

A few hours and cigars later, we came to the subject of content. We both agreed that just like the Golden Saucer, there should be lots of things to do; Moa racing, a battle arena, games of chance. All with their own special currency that doesn't transfer out and can only be spent on very basic items like common cooking recipes and gag weapons like a mop, so players wouldn't feel obligated and could just indulge in the fun and games without thinking about rewards. From the plush, overstuffed chair opposite me, illuminated by the fireplace in the otherwise darkened study of O'Brien Manor, I saw a smile gleam through the fine crystal of his brandy snifter, and then he spoke, almost too quiet to hear;

We both laughed, then ate a kitten, because that's what rich people do with all of the money they have from tax loopholes and the Illuminati slush fund.

rockclap69bvb.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just read this over,
without some way for people who don't follow the game regularly (i.e. don't read Reddit, don't follow on twitter, don't visit MMO sites often) will completely miss out that there's something new.
Definitely a good point. For what I imagine to be a huge slice of the playerbase, the most marketing that actually reaches them is simply one per-release email from ArenaNet with a little graphical theme, some screenshots of new content, and at least a surface explanation of any new features. These emails (I always read them) tend to be pretty decent, and I certainly expect an adequate one for the July 1st season 2 release launch.

So maybe it isn't ideal and might not be enough, but at least the sort of player you've referred to is targeted. I was just saying, those kinds of communications don't really need to hit people two weeks out, the day before or even the day of is typically pretty much ok.

BraXzy

where do you guys find this stuff? I know there's a dedicated page to patch notes but going to the front page of GW2 gave me no real clue as to where to look.

Who wants a mega post?

Too bad, you're getting one. I'll throw in a cat picture and some storytime to make it entertaining.

Would it be a fair assessment that GW2GAF is probably the ones who brought that price point to your attention? Because even when the game goes on sale, I don't see anything about it in ads. When it was 50% off, the most buzz outside of twitter and facebook was a blurb on Massively (which did the disservice of name-dropping TESO right at the end of the article). That sort of thing should have had a free trial weekend and advertising plastered everywhere. New players are introduced to the game, people who have stopped playing will be reminded they own the game. The one downside I can think of is that people might get burned out, but in contrast to not seeing anything, I think it'd be worth the risk.

A thread that was made in the Gaming side during the 50% sale is what brought the game back to my attention, I didn't see anything on the twittersphere etc. But honestly, without GW2GAF and people like you Retro, I probably wouldn't have stayed or at least I wouldn't be as hooked as I am. <3 you guys.

That's what did it for me; actual gameplay footage and the devs being open, honest and excited, in contrast to most MMOs where it's a CGI trailer and the devs seem to drift between apathy and contempt for their players. And it got me moist. Right, Braxzy?

Yeah, probably moist.

Moist for sure.
Raw gameplay and dev diaries are always good when done well imo.

This is awesome. Storytime more often please.

TbRM9Aw.gif

Retro

but, now I won't ever be happy until there's an asura golden saucer in the game ;_;

Actual Response:
Cat Golem minis that spin around and meow first.

Sarcastic Response:
LOL, JUS BY BLACK LION CHESTS 2 GAMBL

Reddit Response:
I hope your <parent, sibling, or pet> is <felony and/or warcrime> in the <orifice> until <bodily fluid> comes out their <different orifice> and they <graphic description of elaborate, painful death> because you had the audacity to <minor offense totally not at all proportional to the response>

Official Forums Response:
GLuE, YUM

I want more gw2 funny posters

Those Taco ones were apparently sent out to various gaming sites. Along with all the other cool swag like pocket watches and metronomes and such. That sorta stuff should be given out to gamers as prizes, it's not like the press does anything but tweet about it once.

I'd definitely love one of those taco ones, I'd frame it and enjoy having it for a heck of a lot longer than it takes to post a picture on twitter.

where do you guys find this stuff? I know there's a dedicated page to patch notes but going to the front page of GW2 gave me no real clue as to where to look.

Always posted here: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates

A thread that was made in the Gaming side during the 50% sale is what brought the game back to my attention, I didn't see anything on the twittersphere etc. But honestly, without GW2GAF and people like you Retro, I probably wouldn't have stayed or at least I wouldn't be as hooked as I am. <3 you guys.

I don't even think we MADE that thread, sometimes somebody just makes them for better or for worse and we try our damnest to help people get into the game / back into the game / sort through the lies and/or misinformation that always seems to crop up.

We really have tried hard to make the guild and community as open and friendly as possible, so thank you. It's made a lot easier by our members though; I've said it a bunch before, but we've only had to ban a couple people (non-GAFers) and issue maybe half a dozen warnings at the most. Everybody is generally well behaved and friendly, a lot of it is because the game just isn't designed to create a lot of drama, but the people who are leaders, officers, and members are all excellent people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But honestly, without GW2GAF and people like you Retro, I probably wouldn't have stayed or at least I wouldn't be as hooked as I am. <3 you guys.
you're the best braxzy.

But no joke this is kind of what I mean. THIS (the quote above) is how you market an MMO. ArenaNet's not selling fast food here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now if only the GAF guild magic was available to the millions of people *not* on Neogaf :p
on the one hand I know what you mean, on the other hand you just implied that no one outside of this forum has a good active guild they enjoy playing with ;-)

on the one hand I know what you mean, on the other hand you just implied that no one outside of this forum has a good active guild they enjoy playing with ;-)

I do not personally know anyone outside GAF guild that speaks highly of their guilds. And why would they - most guilds were formed from spamming 'join our hot guild' in an attempt to get more influence-generators, so you end up with 500 player guilds (with half of the people repping other guilds) or the 'rep required' guilds, who are really not much fun.

But I know what you mean. :p

EDIT:

I totally forgot about this neat thing that happened yesterday before the Fractals run.

I was running around Plains of Ashford with my level 40 thief, because I just like being in that zone, especially when picking off some dailies like Events, because there's always newbies around asking questions.

Someone in map chat started asking 'what's a world boss', and of course, nobody was answering other than saying 'lol nub', that kind of crap. So I started explaining a bit in map chat, and they asked where they could go see one.

I took it to private by joining their party, they were a level 10 warrior, only bought the game the day before. They asked a lot of questions, like how to level, what are hearts, what are these Dynamic Events they keep hearing about, etc, so I explained it all and even showed him some of the cooler DE chains in Plains of Ashford (Badazar, the Ruins Exploration team, etc). They asked about World Bosses again, and I said that there was one coming up quite soon in a low-level zone, that we could go check out if they wanted (Wurm in Caledon).

So I showed him how to get to Lion's Arch from Black Citadel, where the portals are in LA and how each one goes to a racial city, and we headed to The Grove and then up to Caledon.

By the time we reached the Wurm spawn point, they had levelled twice just from getting the Waypoints, and from the few DE's we tagged on the way up. They were utterly shocked at how nice Caledon looked, since they'd not seen anything other than Plains of Ashford. We took about 20 minutes to get to Wurm, and it spawned a few minutes after, and they had a blast seeing all the people (it was pretty packed, even for Wurm), and even got a nice chest piece out of it (for a level 12 anyway).

After, I had to go do Fractals, but they asked if they could friend me and I said sure, if they ever have any questions, fire away.

Again, stuff like this, for all the kvetching on reddit, all the whining on the official forums, all the constant 'I played this game for a few days / since launch / all the time and it's horrible / terribad' comments you see under every single damn GW2 article on every single damn site...

...makes it worth it.

Complistic

Reminds me a little bit of a group of 3 first timers I meant in queensdale months ago. I was waiting for SB and decided to do the super easy little jumping puzzle back near the centaurs and shouted out in /say if anyone wanted to follow me to some treasure. 3 friends who had just bought the game in the last couple of days were within shout distance and agreed to come with me. Went through the little puzzle and they thought it was really cool and fun.

So I told them if they thought that was neat, they should follow me to the heart of the swamp, SB pops up right on time and they get to have this epic battle with a giant monster. Played around with them for a little while longer, just having fun. So that was neat, but what really felt good was when I randomly partied with that same group in Southsun Cove out of pure chance like 6 months later for Karka queen or something and they were all level 80s and well seasoned players.

I know it isn't always the case, but I feel like a lot of people who don't like the game, don't understand what the game actually is and are turned off by that initial confusing period. Having someone show you the ropes and explain things to you can make all the difference it would seem. This is part of the reason I think this guild has done so well. It's SUPER helpful.

BraXzy

you're the best braxzy.

But no joke this is kind of what I mean. THIS (the quote above) is how you market an MMO. ArenaNet's not selling fast food here.

Thanks Hawk :)

I totally forgot about this neat thing that happened yesterday before the Fractals run.

I was running around Plains of Ashford with my level 40 thief, because I just like being in that zone, especially when picking off some dailies like Events, because there's always newbies around asking questions.

Someone in map chat started asking 'what's a world boss', and of course, nobody was answering other than saying 'lol nub', that kind of crap. So I started explaining a bit in map chat, and they asked where they could go see one.

I took it to private by joining their party, they were a level 10 warrior, only bought the game the day before. They asked a lot of questions, like how to level, what are hearts, what are these Dynamic Events they keep hearing about, etc, so I explained it all and even showed him some of the cooler DE chains in Plains of Ashford (Badazar, the Ruins Exploration team, etc). They asked about World Bosses again, and I said that there was one coming up quite soon in a low-level zone, that we could go check out if they wanted (Wurm in Caledon).

Again, stuff like this, for all the kvetching on reddit, all the whining on the official forums, all the constant 'I played this game for a few days / since launch / all the time and it's horrible / terribad' comments you see under every single damn GW2 article on every single damn site...

...makes it worth it.

This has happened to me a couple of times, it is awesome. It feels really rewarding and satisfying helping someone get to grips with the game, especially since I was in the exact same position just a month ago. Yesterday I bumped into someone whilst doing a heart and somehow we got chatting and they were throwing a bunch of questions at me about anything and everything to do with the game, they were really grateful for the advice and I was more than happy to give it.. still feels weird to though since I still consider myself a newbie.

Your drawings? If so, awesome once again! I'm loving the expressions of that Charr cub.
It is a Charr cub right?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention how fun EotM wasn't today. But then, it hasn't been all that much fun recently anyway. 10+ people from the same guild decided it would be a great idea to all tag up, which whilst funny at first, really screwed it up. At one point, half of the zerg had tags.

On the bright side, I totally spotted the Beast from 'Beauty and the Beast'. (On the left)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So how much gold will you amass if you do the follow "speed" dungeons

AC 1, 2 3
CM 1, 3
TA U, F
SE 1, 3
CoF 1, 2

Zeroth

So how much gold will you amass if you do the follow "speed" dungeons

AC 1, 2 3
CM 1, 3
TA U, F
SE 1, 3
CoF 1, 2

1 gold for each path? That's 11 gold. That said, assuming you do these on an optimal speed (15 minutes), that's about 2h45m doing dungeons. Can kill your motivation pretty quickly

1 gold for each path? That's 11 gold. That said, assuming you do these on an optimal speed (15 minutes), that's about 2h45m doing dungeons. Can kill your motivation pretty quickly

With the right group and people who can dedicated 2 hours you run all of those in under 2 hours, but people have to be thought, for example you can run CM 1 and 3 8-10 mins with a thief... i have done CM 3 in 8 mins with a pug group this thief and all his skipping battles was awesome, just need experience players in each Dungeon i need to relearn TA i used to speed run it for money 10min path on my zerker Warrior..

Its quite a bit more than 1g per run. I`d say closer to 2, worst case scenario. You get a looot of stuff from them.

That is considering you get mostly green salvage crap. Get some yellows and you`re in ecto country.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

You just have to pick groups in lfg.

With that said it gets kinda boring after doing a daily dungeon run lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom