• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAg0nBoY

So I just finished the story and it was rather quick and weird ... So I joined a party per the LFG option. Entered the dungeon and they were waaaaaay ahead. After a moment a loading screen appeared and we were already on the ship. So I skipped quite a bit of the dungeon, heh. Was finished in 10 minutes :).

About the transfer. I am in a guild now, but it seems as though no-one is willing to help or cooperate. So I was just wondering. Are you playing like much? And lets say if I don't play for a month or two would I get kicked out of the guild?

Edit: Do I have to do the dungeon again for map completion and achievement reasons?

Anno

Definitely not for map completion, no dungeons are necessary for that. Not sure if it counts as Arah story for cheevos, though.

BraXzy

Brax, let's do Arah together. Tell me when you're up to it.

Sorry Dragonboy, didn't know you where on an EU server. Come over and join us!

As part of the personal story? Or just the dungeon? I've still not done it yet. Isn't it a 5 hour dungeon or something? Haha! :3

DragonBoy, I'm an EU player on the US server and it's beeb fine for me as far as I can tell.

Thorgal

So I just finished the story and it was rather quick and weird ... So I joined a party per the LFG option. Entered the dungeon and they were waaaaaay ahead. After a moment a loading screen appeared and we were already on the ship. So I skipped quite a bit of the dungeon, heh. Was finished in 10 minutes :).

About the transfer. I am in a guild now, but it seems as though no-one is willing to help or cooperate. So I was just wondering. Are you playing like much? And lets say if I don't play for a month or two would I get kicked out of the guild?

Edit: Do I have to do the dungeon again for map completion and achievement reasons?

People play regularly .yes altough without requirements .

As for getting kicked out the guild . retro or hawk explained that if they need space for new recruits they will make room by kicking players out of the guild who haven't logged on in a long while .

But if you ever decide to get back in you can just ask here and one of the guild officers will get you back in lickity split .

And if you want .this guild also has a fund to help people get people across servers .

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If you can't get her by now, I would A) drastically change up everything you've been trying. Like maybe a different build entirely. Or B) Give up and aim to get good enough to beat her next time she's available.

It's mostly the latency that's making me lose.

Darn, still not had any luck with it? Which class are you doing it on?

staff ele

to be quite honest I don't mind not doing Liadri but I still need 3 achievements to get the meta. Still yet to do the gambit for tier 3, killing Subject 7 without doing ooze, or killing meat guy without having his pet eat meat

Retro

We have something like 450 members, of those I would say 50 or so are regular players (on at least few hours a day) and the rest either play more sporadically or just played within the last few months enough not to be removed. During NA primetime, it's usually about 20-30 people. Weekends is 30-40. Guild Missions (Saturday Nights) can go a bit higher. Obviously depending on your play schedule, it may be far less due to the time difference.

As far as inactivity goes, when we start to approach the 500 member cap, we generally do a little housekeeping and remove the most inactive members. Usually we will post about it here in the OT in advance. Obviously the more inactive you are, the more likely you are to be removed. That said, we know this is a buy-to-play game and have an open door policy; if you ever log in and find yourself removed from the guild, it's nothing personal, we just needed the space. Whisper an officer or post in the OT and you'll be right back in ASAP.

Katoki

Or you could join the overflow guild and essentially be a ghost. Seeing people around in that guild is really a kicker when it happens.

DrAg0nBoY

Thanks for all the info. Just one more question about the transfer. How much does the transfer actually cost?

And now on a completelly different subject. I am playing a thief and have no idea what build to use. At the moment I am playing this: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fZE...uBwqB-TxRBwAROFAYV+Nc/B86Dyp+DgnAgZlgECw8WA-e

Or I am trying to play this, because I don't have all the equipment. The idiot that I am started to buy exotic items and so I am broke at the moment ...

So just wanted to know what would you recommend me, before I throw more money into something that is not that good.

Katoki

That looks good on paper and works well enough if you watch the conditions things throw around since thieves don't have a particularly strong condition clear outside of spamming sword 2 and signet of agility if you really get bombed with them.

The equipment shouldn't be as big of a deal since sword/pistol basically gives you evasion frames while in pistol whip. You probably just won't have the output that is expected is all. I personally run all berserker with the armor and accessories because I already have it though. I also run speed runes since I've used signet of shadows since the game came out so I can't run around without the 25% movement increase especially as a thief. What do you find wrong or off about this build?

This is what my sword/pistol build looks like for the most part with the stuff I have: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZEQNA...AQeAAnVCK5IAgVZFO1fAcCAyqURlmgU6BQu/ApAeaLA-e. I don't actually run the food and oil though out of laziness.

BraXzy

It's mostly the latency that's making me lose.

staff ele

to be quite honest I don't mind not doing Liadri but I still need 3 achievements to get the meta. Still yet to do the gambit for tier 3, killing Subject 7 without doing ooze, or killing meat guy without having his pet eat meat

Gotta be honest, I haven't a clue how elementalists even work so I can't really do much to help :L

General tips that really helped me, during phase 1, strafe on the spot quickly left and right to avoid her projectiles whilst waiting behind light pools. In phase 2, stay towards the middle and just keep moving around in a small circle to stay out of the AoE zones. Do you have any other characters you could attempt it on?

Or you could join the overflow guild and essentially be a ghost. Seeing people around in that guild is really a kicker when it happens.

There's an overflow guild?

Thanks for all the info. Just one more question about the transfer. How much does the transfer actually cost

I believe transfer costs differ from person to person? You check at the log in screen by changing your world selection.

Katoki

Yeah. I don't recall what the name was exactly or if it really had the word "Overflowrce" in it anymore but it uses the [GAFO] tag and we try to get them into [GAF] asap provided they notice our messages as our population has settled down since the game came out.

Levyne

Banned
I'm not an expert elementalist, but Staff Ele doesn't seem suited for a one on one fight, low dps and having to ground target. Maybe try d/d or s/f? Trey or Noisy might be able to say more.

DrAg0nBoY

That looks good on paper and works well enough if you watch the conditions things throw around since thieves don't have a particularly strong condition clear outside of spamming sword 2 and signet of agility if you really get bombed with them.

The equipment shouldn't be as big of a deal since sword/pistol basically gives you evasion frames while in pistol whip. You probably just won't have the output that is expected is all. I personally run all berserker with the armor and accessories because I already have it though. I also run speed runes since I've used signet of shadows since the game came out so I can't run around without the 25% movement increase especially as a thief. What do you find wrong or off about this build?

This is what my sword/pistol build looks like for the most part with the stuff I have: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZEQNA...AQeAAnVCK5IAgVZFO1fAcCAyqURlmgU6BQu/ApAeaLA-e. I don't actually run the food and oil though out of laziness.

It is not that I find something wrong with it. I just wanted to ask what you guys think :). I change Blinding Powder with Signet of Shadows when I am not in combat just for the movement speed.

Dunno I think I am doing too little damage perhaps? I don't think I got past 7000 dmg.

I believe transfer costs differ from person to person? You check at the log in screen by changing your world selection.

Yeah just looked at the price. 1800 gems, so that is 30 € or something like that. Not so cheap ...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm not an expert elementalist, but Staff Ele doesn't seem suited for a one on one fight, low dps and having to ground target. Maybe try d/d or s/f? Trey or Noisy might be able to say more.

I seem to remember GS warrior and staff ele being two of the classes that could farm gauntlet chances because of very high burst damage output.

Retro

I actually spotted someone who was in GAFO but not GAF just yesterday and got them invited.

Thanks for all the info. Just one more question about the transfer. How much does the transfer actually cost?

Depends on the server's population. Since SBI is listed as "Very High", it would be 1800 gems. Depending on the time of day, it might drop down to "High" which would only be 1000, but I'm not sure. We do have a Transfer Fund in the guild to help people get over, but it's a tad low due to recent security problems. Still, it would help defray the costs a bit.

Yep, Gaming Age Overflowrce [GAFO]. Because of the beta weekend events, most people already had their account names well before launch, and we had a separate thread for the guild where people posted them to get added to a list. Ferny and Ash then added them all to a Google spreadsheet. We had 533 members before the game even had a release date, and that's just folks who signed up in advance. GAFO has 120 members, which means at one point we had at least 620 GAFers playing (since some may have dropped the guild and / or some are duplicate members like the officers in both).

BraXzy

C) Move somewhere you can get something other than dial up.

Oooh burn. Boss Dogie, where are you at? What internet options do you have?

Thankfully, Fibre Optic really kicked off in the UK over the past couple of years, it went from being quite niche in a few areas to pretty much country wide (as far as populated areas goes) and the pricing isn't too bad so I dived on it.

C) Move somewhere you can get something other than dial up.

Which is like, 10% of the US. I'm still shocked at how bad the internet in the US is.

Some photos from today's adventure:

Gw2%202014-06-22%2014-54-29-16.jpg

Noooope.

Gw2%202014-06-22%2015-09-16-86.jpg

Adventure!

Gw2%202014-06-22%2015-25-55-36.jpg

Dusty.

Gw2%202014-06-22%2015-29-30-14.jpg

More dusty.

Gw2%202014-06-22%2015-52-35-85.jpg

I can see infinity.

Gw2%202014-06-22%2016-18-40-78.jpg

Follow the sun..

Gw2%202014-06-22%2016-15-23-55.jpg

Splish.

Katoki

Whoops. I have a post up there but anyway..

It is not that I find something wrong with it. I just wanted to ask what you guys think :). I change Blinding Powder with Signet of Shadows when I am not in combat just for the movement speed.

Dunno I think I am doing too little damage perhaps? I don't think I got past 7000 dmg.

7k sounds fine considering you're using that healing grand master trait; it should shoot up to 10k+ if you use executioner considering signet of malice heals well enough AND you're in evasion frames while doing so.

Yeah just looked at the price. 1800 gems, so that is 30 € or something like that. Not so cheap ...

Apply in that one thread on GAFGuild forums.

Granadier

Huh. A bursting staff ele? Disregard then, I'm not up to snuff on this stuff.

Now that I think about it more, I think the farming builds wouldn't apply directly to Liadri since she can't really be burst right away.

Either way this is speculation on my part without evidence, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you do, PLEASE pm them and send then an invite to the main guild... :p
Depends on the server's population. Since SBI is listed as "Very High", it would be 1800 gems. Depending on the time of day, it might drop down to "High" which would only be 1000, but I'm not sure. We do have a Transfer Fund in the guild to help people get over, but it's a tad low due to recent security problems. Still, it would help defray the costs a bit.
If we like this Dragonboy fellow (I certainly am biased toward people who post actively in this thread), I bet we can do a pledge drive at our next mission set. The one weekend I had two people who wanted transfers, we raised over 100g in one evening (then one of them ended up not wanting the transfer after all, so that money stayed in the bank, but still).

Lump you're doing Melandru's work, as always.

edit: Ah
To be honest that was my first instinct, not because of low DPS but because of the style of many attacks (cast times, positioning, ground-target aoes/slow or random projectiles). Staff Ele can have awesome burst but I don't know if Liadri is the kind of fight where you can pull it off. D/D seems like it would be best to me, but I'm not an expert either and haven't tried her with mine yet.
I seem to remember GS warrior and staff ele being two of the classes that could farm gauntlet chances because of very high burst damage output.
That I can see (farming gauntlet chances with staff), but Liadri? Is that where you'd do so?

Granadier

That I can see (farming gauntlet chances with staff), but Liadri? Is that where you'd do so?

Having not even beaten Liadri myself I can't give proper insight. It was simply an idea that I remembered from reading it before, but after I thought about it more I realized that it probably wouldn't work out all that well.

I farm Gauntlet Chances with my Condi Engy against Tyre (Tier 2 Boss) using Crippled, On Fire, and No Dodge Gambits. Very quick and easy farm.

BraXzy

Having not even beaten Liadri myself I can't give proper insight. It was simply an idea that I remembered from reading it before, but after I thought about it more I realized that it probably wouldn't work out all that well.

You really need to get on that before it's too late! I'll come and cheer you on
and show you how it's done ;)
if need be.

I farm Gauntlet Chances with my Condi Engy against Tyre (Tier 2 Boss) using Crippled, On Fire, and No Dodge Gambits. Very quick and easy farm.

I farmed 1K gauntlet chances on my Thief against Hamli Hammerfell (super quick and easy with blinds). Did I get anything good out of them? Nope. I gave up trying :3

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"You already own Darksiders II."

Why are Steam sales always such an exericise in senility? ;_;

also, despite Retro's acerbic disdain for Reddit, I find it to have its charms, and am something of a fan of their resident biologist, Unidan. for any out there who might know him, I noticed this tidbit today
unidan approved!

Boss Doggie

Gotta be honest, I haven't a clue how elementalists even work so I can't really do much to help :L

General tips that really helped me, during phase 1, strafe on the spot quickly left and right to avoid her projectiles whilst waiting behind light pools. In phase 2, stay towards the middle and just keep moving around in a small circle to stay out of the AoE zones. Do you have any other characters you could attempt it on?

I'll try running around in the middle.

But like I said, it's my ping that's generally screwing me.

BraXzy

"You already own Darksiders II."

Why are Steam sales always such an exericise in senility? ;_;

I've finally got a hold of myself when it comes to Steam sales. But that is mainly due to the fact last time I kept seeing exactly that. It's really scary when you realise you can't even remember which games you own :L

I'll try running around in the middle.

But like I said, it's my ping that's generally screwing me.

Good luck! Just keep trying, you'll get there eventually. Or die trying I guess.

Nice pose Ike!

DrAg0nBoY

7k sounds fine considering you're using that healing grand master trait; it should shoot up to 10k+ if you use executioner considering signet of malice heals well enough AND you're in evasion frames while doing so.

Apply in that one thread on GAFGuild forums.

Ok, as long as it's not too bad of a dmg output I am fine with that. Although I still need to buy rest of my equipement.

Will do that but could I get perhaps an invite into the guild beforehand?

If we like this Dragonboy fellow (I certainly am biased toward people who post actively in this thread), I bet we can do a pledge drive at our next mission set. The one weekend I had two people who wanted transfers, we raised over 100g in one evening (then one of them ended up not wanting the transfer after all, so that money stayed in the bank, but still).

Just wanted to say something about the bolded. I am really bad at the game, because the most I had was 15 gold. How do you get 100 gold in one evening? :O

spiritfox

One dungeon run will net you around 2g with the bonus chest, and most of then could be done in 15-20 mins. Just doing AC paths 1-3 will give you around 6g, and that shouldn't take more than an hour. Some of the popular dungeon speed runs are CoF1 and 2, SE1 and 3, and AC1, 2, and 3. Just join a LFG group for these paths.

Katoki

Just wanted to say something about the bolded. I am really bad at the game, because the most I had was 15 gold. How do you get 100 gold in one evening? :O

Mmm, quotes in quotes. The bold isn't very bold though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haha, well, I mean, it was donation by over 20 members. For one player, 100g in an evening is not realistic unless you're playing huge quantities on the Trading Post, but 10g in an evening (as Spiritfox describes) is child's play.

Complistic

Only had my ascended mantle left to complete my set today, but was running pretty low on gold. Did an AC123, COF12, SE1, and a TA UP and had more than enough to get my remaining mats.

I had no idea people were speed clearing AC like that these days.

Boss Doggie

Why is windcatcher more expensive than the others

Also PUGs can be good or bad... but I have just the weirdest one ever. Suddenly someone is talking about lucid dreams, his pet cat, and mesmers.

Why is windcatcher more expensive than the others

Also PUGs can be good or bad... but I have just the weirdest one ever. Suddenly someone is talking about lucid dreams, his pet cat, and mesmers.
Windcatcher has a neat wind effect that wraps around your body. It's nice on eles.

Only had my ascended mantle left to complete my set today, but was running pretty low on gold. Did an AC123, COF12, SE1, and a TA UP and had more than enough to get my remaining mats.

I had no idea people were speed clearing AC like that these days.

Yeah, speed runs are pretty nice. Also teach you (me) a lot about positioning if you've never done them before, plus i find it fun in a "let us see how ridiculously fast we can clear this place out" way. Shattering the CoF2 crystal in one go still gives me feels.

So... best pug ever?

On pugs, i should say I've been pugging more and more and i've been fortunate enough not to meet the most toxic elements of the community, in no small part thanks to their lovely tendency to straight out label themselves as such when LFG'ing. Just gotta avoid them "5k+ AP Full Zerk Gear Meta Build or kick" chaps like the plague.

Also I'm pretty sure me, ike and ennui could 3man CoF1 by now, were it not for the brazier bit >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom