• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like the sale is still on, for the moment...

Intentional or not, consumer business practices generally protect you if you can demonstrate the discounted price on official material at the time of purchase, so, yeah, get it while it's hot!

th3dude

What is the best site to go to for guides about current content? I see Dulfy a lot but I find the site hard to read sometimes, but it is heavily updated.

I was forced to miss guild missions this week because I was putting together my home office. The good news is that it's finally done and I'm ready for next weekend. I'm ready for Saturday Night Fever, haven't done it in a while.

th3dude

I was forced to miss guild missions this week because I was putting together my home office. The good news is that it's finally done and I'm ready for next weekend. I'm ready for Saturday Night Fever, haven't done it in a while.

I missed them too, and also just recently finished putting my home office together.

There was a good number of folks online yesterday afternoon to help some of us get our Commendations for makeups, too. 10 or so of us did a bounty, puzzle, and rush.

(Thanks for that, everyone!)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I missed them too, and also just recently finished putting my home office together.

There was a good number of folks online yesterday afternoon to help some of us get our Commendations for makeups, too. 10 or so of us did a bounty, puzzle, and rush.

Yeah that went better than expected, we had kind of a slow trickle of helpers coming in and a helpful random in Langmar. :) I wish you could pop a rare, expensive consumable to actually select a guild mission, maybe on a once-a-week-timer, so that smaller groups and guilds could target the more doable challenges- we had more than enough people for Skritt, for example- without risking getting one of the ones that would be impossible for

New score music sample has almost bit of an Elfman-Burton collab tone to my ears, pretty sweet.

The only guides for content that you really need is probably for dungeons.
http://gw2dungeons.net/ This site explains each path. Has guides for regular runs and for fast runs.

If you are not sure about an event the best resource would be the wiki.guildwars2.com Just seach for the event you are doing and it will explain what needs to be done, and tell you what events might chain after you complete it.

intothemists.com has a list of builds for different professions you can try. Not sure how good they are but give it a whirl.

Lunar15

The song sounds pretty calm and sad for an area with sandstorms. I wonder if it's the theme that will play when we find the crashed ship? Could be the nighttime theme as well.

Sounds like they really want to start out season 2 on the right foot. I'm sure they've been sitting on feedback from season 1 for all this time, just waiting on a chance to really shake things up.

Ashodin

bannerfinaltgsk8.png
Welcome to the SOE Live 2014 Info Thread for EQN!

Previous thread for SOE Live 2013: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635011

Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/soe

What EverQuest Next Is:

• Sandbox
  • Free to Play
  • Terrain Deformation
  • Emergent Gameplay
  • Huge Player Interaction With The World
  • No stat-based loot - all gameplay and skill based

What EverQuest Next Is Not:

• EverQuest
  • EverQuest 2
  • MMO that you remember from years ago (nostalgia)

I can't stress this enough: the game will not have a trinity of tank/healer/dps, will not be based around quests like WoW or other various Themeparks, and will certainly not be about hardcore raiding. This does not mean you can't heal or try to soak up damage for your friends, it just means the game won't be based around the song and dance of one guy stands in front of a mob while the others spam heals and damage.

General Refresher Screenshots and Info:

28.jpg

26.jpg

22.jpg

14.jpg

8.jpg

RECAP FROM LAST YEAR

• Rewriting of the lore.
  • Day/Night cycles.
  • Generic looking races.
  • Can vault small obstacles.
  • Multi-classing - Eight different classes at the start. Acquire more classes as you play the game (40 more classes). Can mix and match abilities.
  • Class defining weapons. Each class can only use certain weapons like Guild Wars 2.
  • Abilities are dependant on weapons like Guild Wars 2.
  • Mix and match weapons
  • Voxel based world to allow destructibility. The world will repair itself slowly over time though this isn't true for rallying calls.
  • Certain abilities change parts of the terrain e.g. destroying bridges
  • Emergent AI - No fixed spawn points. Monsters spawn based upon a "tagging" system and everything is tagged and tracked. Events happen based on tagging as well.
  • Tiered World - Procedural generation to make environments. You can mine through the world to find stuff. Dynamic areas are procedurally created to be found by mining through the world.
  • "Permanent change" through "rallying calls". As you work through the content it changes the world. For example, everyone in the game is on the same quest and to build a city. Lot's of little quests that you can take part in to make the city. Events of the "rallying call" change based upon what you do through the "tagging" system. This means the quest will change dependant upon your server. If you don't do parts of the quest the quest will change e.g. not building a stone wall for the city will make the goblin army attack.
  • The point is that the "rallying call" event will be different for each server, dependant on what does and does not get done. These "rallying calls" also chain and therefore each server becomes very different to each other so in a few years the worlds will be different depending on the server you're on. Each server has it's own different history as a result.
  • Everything is made out of voxels.

That being said, we have various panels starting on Friday the 15th that will cover aspects of the game we have heard about, and some we haven't.

Here's the panels below, which will be updated with bulletpoints of data once we've got info, and livestream links are available as well.

keynotepdc08.png

WHEN: 10 AM PDT/1 AM EDT
WHERE: http://www.twitch.tv/soe
WHAT: Opening remarks about the state of EverQuest Next, any big features will be announced here, most likely. Expect a trailer or sizzle reel.

Recap: (To be added)

lorewmd3f.png

WHEN: 3 PM PDT/6 PM EDT
WHERE: Liveblog TBA
WHAT: Details about the history of the new Norrath, as well as how you'll fit into them.

techogc2h.png

WHEN: 4 PM PDT/7 PM EDT
WHAT: The details behind the voxel system the game uses, the design of the world in general, specifics about world size might be detailed here.

classggehd.png

WHEN: 6 PM PDT/9 PM EDT
WHERE: http://www.twitch.tv/soe
WHAT: Classes will be announced, other abilities and details about class-swapping would be detailed here. Expect bards.

storybrickhdfdm.png

WHEN: Saturday 11 AM PDT/2 PM EDT
WHAT: This is the big one. EQN uses a revolutionary new AI that can remember your choices and change the way NPCs interact with individual players. One NPC could theoretically hate you while aid a friend of yours just fine. Expect this integration into the game detailed (possibly even hidden footage of the game showing it off).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No! I need more time to do the current content!

But nah, I want the new stuff too!
Feel free to join my procrastination squad tonight for people who still need stuff for the meta.

BTW, is there any inidication that the WvW Battle Historian will be going away tomorrow? I haven't bought anything yet...

Minamu

"New" player here, finally :) Almost lvl 26 Norn Mesmer. I must be doing something right to have reached that level I suppose even if I feel quite lost beyond the story missions etc. Is switching between two different weapon sets required? I've done well so far without it but spamming the same 4-5 spells every fight is getting boring by now xD I'm not doing as much interesting damage and such in fights either as others I've seen but maybe they have better gear somehow?

Jira

"New" player here, finally :) Almost lvl 26 Norn Mesmer. I must be doing something right to have reached that level I suppose even if I feel quite lost beyond the story missions etc. Is switching between two different weapon sets required? I've done well so far without it but spamming the same 4-5 spells every fight is getting boring by now xD I'm not doing as much interesting damage and such in fights either as others I've seen but maybe they have better gear somehow?

You picked one of the more complex classes that also takes the longest to come into their own. Weapon swapping is such an integral part of combat that I couldn't imagine not doing it.

Anno

Now I'm just blasting the full ANet Soundcloud as loud as the people outside my office can stand. In particular I forgot just how amazing the Sanctum Sprint music is. S2 even more hype by the day.

Minamu

You picked one of the more complex classes that also takes the longest to come into their own. Weapon swapping is such an integral part of combat that I couldn't imagine not doing it.
I see, well I was a N/Me in the first game so I know the basics of it I suppose already :) I suppose I could look into the weapon swapping more, I know I have some kind of a sword with the skills unlocked. I think I stayed away from it because my character is so nimble and fragile, especially up close. I have no idea what to wear or focus on though. So far I've just bought the best lvl 20 armor from the regular merchant, no upgrades or slots, not sure how to do that stuff :lol Very confusing game I must say :/

Anno

Weapon swapping is almost necessary for defense because it allows you to pump out clones and phantasms at a much higher rate. The sword actually has a 3ish second invulnerability skill on it that does good damage as well, so you can be much more up in the face of monsters and survive.

As for gear, press "O" to go to the trading post. Go down to the option that looks like an old times set of scales and use the filter to find blue/green armor of your level and stat choice. Buy it if you can then pick it up at a nearby trading post vendor. Also make sure to check vendors as you complete the hearts, they sometimes have decent gear for cheap as well.

Most importantly though, join GAFGuild! We're always around to help new people understand and like the game because it can indeed be a little confusing at times.

Retro

Things to do:
Kill Liadri the Concealing Dark
Queen's Gauntlet Meta
Scoop Litter Boxes (stinky cats)
Say goodbye to the Bazaar of the Four Winds
Gates of Maguuma

I see, well I was a N/Me in the first game so I know the basics of it I suppose already :) I suppose I could look into the weapon swapping more, I know I have some kind of a sword with the skills unlocked. I think I stayed away from it because my character is so nimble and fragile, especially up close. I have no idea what to wear or focus on though. So far I've just bought the best lvl 20 armor from the regular merchant, no upgrades or slots, not sure how to do that stuff :lol Very confusing game I must say :/

When you hit level 7, there should have been a pop-up message that explained weapon swapping, maybe you just clicked past it or something? It's something every class (with two special exceptions) has to learn to do, you need the versatility that a second weapon set brings.

As for what weapon to swap to, Staff is good. Greatsword is better, especially for range and clone/phantasm generation (which is going to be your whole world as a Mesmer). At level 20, it's too early to be worried about builds and gear beyond just getting the best stuff you can without breaking the bank (whites are fine, honestly). For utility skills, grab decoy or mirror images for some fast clone generation.

If you missed the message on weapon swapping, did you miss the one on Dodging? Because that's going to be an even bigger thing to learn.

Katoki

It's not required to weapon swap at all at that point of the game in my opinion. It's a good time to start doing it though to start playing with alternative weapon sets for when you'll need it later on though.

I usually never weapon swap to be honest but I do have every weapon usable to the character so I can put it in for primary or swap when it's needed though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What you want to do is just focus on learning the weapon skills, useful utilities, clone management, dodge timing, and your shatter skills. Mesmer leveling is quite tough and you will absolutely need to get the hang of weapon swapping. Honestly, don't worry about gear at all at this point- really, you can almost ignore it entirely until 80- just get new stuff that's reasonably close to your level every 5 or 10 levels.

edit: Congrats Retro! The Blazing Light is ours!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Congrats on the Liadri slaying Retro!!!

I still need to do my meta achieve tonight before it goes away.

edit: FYI Minamu, one of the first things I'll do on a new character is go onto the TP, (default O key), or to the nearest weapon merchant and purchase all of the available weapon types for the class. Then go through the starting area killing mobs to unlock your weapon skills. Switch out a weapon once you have all the skills, and make sure to shift them around to get main hand/off hand skills.

Once you have all of the skills you can check and see which ones you enjoy the most.
Same here. I wouldn't mind a party if anyone could stomach killing a bunch of centaurs and pirates in the pavilion with me :p

I'll be there for it tonight when I get home.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Same here. I wouldn't mind a party if anyone could stomach killing a bunch of centaurs and pirates in the pavilion with me :p

Minamu

Thanks for the advice! :D I probably read the swapping tutorial message as I've unlocked quite a few skills here and there. But that was almost two years ago now. I know how to dodge, I'm just not very good at it (well, as long as I don't get hit, I suppose I'm doing it right even if it doesn't say evade! on the screen). I'll look into the different weapons at a shop next time, good idea.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know how to dodge, I'm just not very good at it (well, as long as I don't get hit, I suppose I'm doing it right even if it doesn't say evade! on the screen).
Hehe, so one thing to bear in mind is that when you dodge, you gain frames of invincibility (a lot like the Souls games, as one example) so that you can actually dodge "through" enemy attacks- you can be literally where an attack is hitting, but if you're dodging, you'll "evade" it. There are a small number of attacks that can't be dodged, nor can area traps, but keeping this in mind and eventually mastering it can save your life many times over.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
there's a cute thread over on gaming side right now! man, I hope some new or returning people log on tonight and can group with us to see some of the awesome festival stuff before it all goes away tomorrow. The sanctum makes such an awesome impression!

BraXzy

there's a cute thread over on gaming side right now! man, I hope some new or returning people log on tonight and can group with us to see some of the awesome festival stuff before it all goes away tomorrow. The sanctum makes such an awesome impression!

Hehe I just spotted that. Nice screenshot Lump.

I'm currently wandering through Orr for the second time ever to try and get a trait. This place is indeed the Mordor of GW2.

Minamu

Hehe, so one thing to bear in mind is that when you dodge, you gain frames of invincibility (a lot like the Souls games, as one example) so that you can actually dodge "through" enemy attacks- you can be literally where an attack is hitting, but if you're dodging, you'll "evade" it. There are a small number of attacks that can't be dodged, nor can area traps, but keeping this in mind and eventually mastering it can save your life many times over.
Interesting :D Only having two dodges before needing to recharge takes some time to get used to coming from Souls :)

Edit: I wouldn't mind a GAFGuild invite of sorts! Minamu.8503 is my name.

Zeroth

Interesting :D Only having two dodges before needing to recharge takes some time to get used to coming from Souls :)

Edit: I wouldn't mind a GAFGuild invite of sorts! Minamu.8503 is my name.

Hey Hawkian, here is my account name to add for the guild if possible: digitalpcm.3708

Thanks!

Added you folks. Next time you log in, check the guild panel and be sure to represent the guild!

Einbroch.6870

/cowers

Also done!

Capella

If there's still room, I'd like to be added as well. Ailidh is my characters name.

I'd like to try and get back into GW2 for Season 2 and I miss playing my Mesmer :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For sure! A few things (not stuff to worry about at your level, just kinda filling you in at how this all shakes out):

1: There's a buff called "vigor"- Mesmers can get access to it through two traits, one of which gives it to you on critical hits, which is pretty awesome- that increases your rate of stamina/endurance regeneration.

2. There are two sigils (weapon upgrades) that can give you stamina back. Sigil of Stamina refills a dodge whenever you kill an enemy; Sigil of Energy whenever you swap weapons. The latter one is AWESOME, and especially on Mesmer*

3. There are consumables that increase your stamina regeneration.

Having access to dodges as much as possible is important to pretty much every class.

*Not to blow your mind apart too much, but when you get a bit higher leveled, there's a Mesmer trait that creates a clone every time you dodge. It is as awesome as it sounds, Combined with Sigil of Energy that's an extra clone every time you swap weapons... om nom nom

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If there's still room, I'd like to be added as well. Ailidh is my characters name.

I'd like to try and get back into GW2 for Season 2 and I miss playing my Mesmer :)

Be sure to post your account name instead of your character name for us.

It's the one in the format of "Name.1234". It should show up on your launcher, or on your account page.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Be sure to post your account name instead of your character name for us.

It's the one in the format of "Name.1234". It should show up on your launcher, or on your account page.
Character name actually works just fine :p I've been trying to get us on board with this concept since I became an officer!

edit: That said, it's definitely helpful to make sure we got the right person invited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom