• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Hope this story arc leads to a portal straight to Cantha with a 2year aniversary announcement of a Cantha+Ritualist expansion, or something like that. Feel this game could use a large injection of new content(non episodic content that is). Checked the game out at the start of the season after having not played for a year and a half and the amount of new stuff was fairly disapointing.

Hence why you should have never stopped playing and you would have experienced the most diverse types of content you've ever seen in gaming. It's not the fault of the game that you weren't here.

Jira

That seems a little harsh :<

Probably so. It just somewhat irks me that people think an expansion is some kind of magical thing that won't be torn through in a week or two and people are back to begging for another one. Yes, an expansion would bring a lot of new stuff at once but the locusts will chew through it and then stop playing again. Expansions also fragment the playerbase which is something ANet has said they do not want to do. So unless they offer it for free, I'm really unsure if it will ever happen.

Well it makes sense but at the same time, while episodic story content is nice, there's still a lack of feature content. Especially in terms of classes/weapons/skills, which is what I was looking forward to the most during GW2 alpha, the fact they copied/improved on the GW1 system which would let them add new skills easily and balance them appropriately for pvp/pve by having the 2 versions. I feel that's where most of my disapointment comes from, since only one healing skill was added total as far as I could tell(and a toxic cleansing heal thing which I suppose was event specific or whatever). That's why I'm looking forward to a full fledged expansion, hoping that they will in fact do one. Don't even care that much about location/content but obviously would rather go back to GW1 places like Cantha and Elona. Not really saying the current game is bad or criticizing the current state, just saying I wish it had more stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i feel like there's actually a pretty solid chunk of permanent stuff that's been added since 1.5 years ago, even if you totally discount the mechanical and QoL upgrades... that would be Feb. of '13.

But indeed, hopefully since a lot of cycles were spent developing cyclical or one-shot content in season 1 there will be time to work on more bulky updates- while I'd really prefer not to have to pay for new content until absolutely necessary. Maybe one day a paid expansion will be right for GW2 (although Ritualist would not be the most interesting addition by a long shot :p), but they have a lot of ground still yet to be covered with their new approach to episodic content, and more importantly the game still hasn't come close to losing my interest yet despite not having demanded any more of my money.
Well it makes sense but at the same time, while episodic story content is nice, there's still a lack of feature content. Especially in terms of classes/weapons/skills, which is what I was looking forward to the most during GW2 alpha, the fact they copied/improved on the GW1 system which would let them add new skills easily and balance them appropriately for pvp/pve by having the 2 versions. I feel that's where most of my disapointment comes from, since only one healing skill was added total as far as I could tell(and a toxic cleansing heal thing which I suppose was event specific or whatever). That's why I'm looking forward to a full fledged expansion, hoping that they will in fact do one. Don't even care that much about location/content but obviously would rather go back to GW1 places like Cantha and Elona. Not really saying the current game is bad or criticizing the current state, just saying I wish it had more stuff.
I want more weapon skills most of all. I truly hope that we have some in our pockets by the end of 2014, and that someone at ArenaNet understands exactly how much this would refresh the game and how revolutionary it would be to add them without charging money.

I diverge from you in concluding "so I want an expansion"- I want them to add that stuff without needing an additional purchase, for one thing to prove it's possible to the industry, and for another because, well, I am kinda cheap when it comes to gaming since it's a pure luxury activity and prefer not to have to pay more money.

But, I mean, ultimately people who feel like you do will become either loud enough, frequent enough, or both to warrant a paid expansion in NCSoft's ledger. I'm not convinced any of the issues one would bring that Jira noted would be alleviated no matter how they did it- it's still paying outright for content- but obviously I'd buy it and so would tons of other people. As long as I'm still enjoying the game, though, I'd like it to go as long as possible while giving me new stuff for free :p

I don't see why they'd need to put out an expansion to add zones or weapons or skills for that matter. They could easily do that in a series of content patches added over time. An expansion would only serve to drop that all at once but would almost certainly necessitate that the game go stagnant in terms of content delivery in the meantime while all of that stuff gets made and tested all together all at once.

Thorgal

Batman and I put this together:

Just a theory but wouldn't it be possible that the vines are spreading through the Ley line that scarlet drilled into to wake up Mordremoth ?
It seems like because the way the wp are changing makes it look like it is making a bee line straight to lions arch .

I wouldn't also be surprised if that little line in maguuma will head south towards the grove .

I don't see why they'd need to put out an expansion to add zones or weapons or skills for that matter. They could easily do that in a series of content patches added over time. An expansion would only serve to drop that all at once but would almost certainly necessitate that the game go stagnant in terms of content delivery in the meantime while all of that stuff gets made and tested all together all at once.

Fair point, it just seems like a good way to get a bunch of people back into the game if it's all packaged in one big thing. But adding it bit by bit would work fine. I would assume for an expansion they'd get a second team working on it in parallel but it might not be possible to do so while maintaining living world story updates so that'd be a good reason not to make an expansion.

The reason I hadn't been playing for that long is sadly I was pretty burned out when the game released, I had been playing for 8-10months in alpha already and had done a lot of the existing content several times and WvWvW launched with quite a lot of annoying issues(like the infamous culling issue, which was fixed since). So it didn't take very long for me to quit but it was alright because the game not having sub, I knew I could come back when I wanted to see new stuff. When I did come back since they announced Maguuma with a trailer and stuff, I was just disapointed. Not by the game itself but the lack of stuff I expected to see from coming back after so long. There's plenty of new interesting stuff still, just I guess not the kind of stuff that I cared as much about.

I guess I also expected the story to have moved further along, or at least more toward GW1's stuff rather than adding new stuff(focus on a new dragon rather than on the existing ones). That's just my own preference though.

Jira

Fair point, it just seems like a good way to get a bunch of people back into the game if it's all packaged in one big thing. But adding it bit by bit would work fine. I would assume for an expansion they'd get a second team working on it in parallel but it might not be possible to do so while maintaining living world story updates so that'd be a good reason not to make an expansion.

The reason I hadn't been playing for that long is sadly I was pretty burned out when the game released, I had been playing for 8-10months in alpha already and had done a lot of the existing content several times and WvWvW launched with quite a lot of annoying issues(like the infamous culling issue, which was fixed since). So it didn't take very long for me to quit but it was alright because the game not having sub, I knew I could come back when I wanted to see new stuff. When I did come back since they announced Maguuma with a trailer and stuff, I was just disapointed. Not by the game itself but the lack of stuff I expected to see from coming back after so long. There's plenty of new interesting stuff still, just I guess not the kind of stuff that I cared as much about.

I guess I also expected the story to have moved further along, or at least more toward GW1's stuff rather than adding new stuff(focus on a new dragon rather than on the existing ones). That's just my own preference though.

You obviously missed out on the stuff from Season 1 that was temporary. But the amount of features and QoL improvements since launch have been massive. Here's a list:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FwI3ZJ2J6L7EnrSurfn03YcPBIeHpyKgaJJ3mkSVALA/edit

A lot has been added, the thing is GW2 isn't like other MMOs where there's a forced content path in front of you that you follow whether you want to or not. Nothing in GW2 is shoved directly into your face, you can go out and find tons of new stuff or nothing at all. It's up to you.

Also, they said that they will be adding everything you expect from an expansion (skills, weapons, zones, etc) but not all in one lump, but instead through the LS and Feature Packs.

Retro

So i have started to play the game again. I hope this time i will be able to keep it going since i droped after lvl 30 one year ago. But something is weird this time... Why are there so many people on the beginning area? Last time i played the numbers were much lower now wherever i go i encounter at least 5-6 people which is kind of weird, i expected to see lower numbers since a year has passed. So what it is the reason for this?

megawatmzueb.jpg

@Pyros_Eien: Aw man, it's a pity you missed the entirety of Season 1. It was, even with the rough patches, damn awesome. Stuff happened, time moved forward, every two weeks there was something new to do, see, explore, get, etc. The game actually feels alive when a Living World season is in full swing. It's one of the main reasons I kept playing since launch - because I didn't have to wait two years for an xpac that can be blown through in four days.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was pretty burned out when the game released, I had been playing for 8-10months in alpha already and had done a lot of the existing content
Well, hell, dude, I'm betting that would have happened to me too, and GW2 is one of my favorite games ever!

By 10 months out from launch, I had experienced all of this stuff
on a continuous drip, and with another 7 months of stuff coming before even the slightest break of not knowing when there would be more.

I grant you they did things in a different way than the traditional approach, where if you had come back and an expansion had been released, you could just buy it and play through this whole chunk of new stuff that you missed.

But the new approach to Living World is actually focusing on a similar sort of potential, where content will accumulate with each release, and then if you missed out on it "live", you can buy it all when you come back to get a big chunk of stuff at once.

Again, I want all the same things you've mentioned (new classes, new weapon skills most of all), but I don't want them to toss our their way of doing things just because it's different. MMOs need different.

edit: I missed Sky Pirates of Tyria because I was traveling actually...

...but the jumping puzzle was permanent, Aetherblades became a permanent enemy type in a variety of content, and the dungeon and boss were added back in as Fractals <3

Jira

@Pyros_Eien: Aw man, it's a pity you missed the entirety of Season 1. It was, even with the rough patches, damn awesome. Stuff happened, time moved forward, every two weeks there was something new to do, see, explore, get, etc. The game actually feels alive when a Living World season is in full swing. It's one of the main reasons I kept playing since launch - because I didn't have to wait two years for an xpac that can be blown through in four days.

Indeed, the stuff like this where the Mysterious Figure has appeared above Prosperity and the whole waypoint system freaking out is far more engaging for me compared to a story that's just dropped all at once with no form of setup or time inbetween. It's kinda like if you watch an entire TV series in one go, you don't get that emotional connection to the show/characters that you do if you had watched it episode by episode with breaks in between. There's no time to digest anything.

Moondrop

Banned
I feel that's where most of my disapointment comes from, since only one healing skill was added total as far as I could tell(and a toxic cleansing heal thing which I suppose was event specific or whatever).
Actually each class was given a new unique healing skill and five new grandmaster traits. I understand if you find that unsatisfactory, and I do not consider your demands completely unreasonable.

However I don't think people realize exactly the undertaking they're proposing. Anet spent over a year getting the launch weapons/skills into a decent balance. And when I see people propose new weapons, they're generally just citing a type of weapon, not a new or interesting role. "Engis should have hammers!" To bring what- CC? And then when they type out full proposals, they're redundant at best or hilariously bad at worst. I never played GW1, but from what I understand the excluded classes do not translate to this game mechanically.

Retro

Me thinks the vines are backtracking the Ley Line Scarlet disrupted. If you watch the FMV from the end of Season 1 again, you can see it goes from LA to what looks like Gendarran Fields (Applenook, specifically), through what appears to be an Asuran base (Possibly Thaumanova, but potentially Invariant Base or Aethervolt Lab in Brisban), then across what we assumed was Kessex and then into Maguuma.

Backtrack that across the Waypoints on the map where we're seeing vines and disruption and it goes from Drytop, across Brisban and Kessex and points towards Gendarran Fields.

My theory is that the Ley Line would then run south into LA, through Bloodtide and Sparkfly (potentially over Tequatl, which would mean his getting stronger could be related to Scarlet fuckin' around in that area) and into Timberline where the trailer says it will end up.

Also, there's a big chunk of map between Kessex and LA and a big chunk between Sparkfly and Timberline. Good places to add little mini-zones.

Retro

God damn it, double post... this wouldn't keep happening if people would post more!

However I don't think people realize exactly the undertaking they're proposing. Anet spent over a year getting the launch weapons/skills into a decent balance. And when I see people propose new weapons, they're generally just citing a type of weapon, not a new or interesting role. "Engis should have hammers!" To bring what- CC? And then when they type out full proposals, they're redundant at best or hilariously bad at worst. I never played GW1, but from what I understand the excluded classes do not translate to this game mechanically.

I'll C&P some I posted on Reddit. Last one was all about the visuals since I don't really know where things would fit in the Necro's options.

Warrior - Torch
Boon Removal / Condition Damage
4 - Trial by Fire: Thrust your torch into the enemy's face, blinding them and removing two boons.
5 - Ignite: Use your torch to set your mainhand weapon alight. Grants fury (6s) and causes your next 5 attacks to inflict burning (1s). Lasts 20 seconds.

Torch feels like a solid option for Warrior; not too "magical" to be out of place, not too powerful, and if everyone else gets new weapons, Warriors should at least get something.

I tired to make Torch compliment their playstyle; a blind and boon strip is useful as a defensive option (not to mention Warriors have no other means of boon removal), while Ignite serves to boost melee damage. Not quite as defensive as a shield, not quite as offensive as Dual Wielding; right in the middle with a neat visual effect.

I could see the Burning Arrows trait (Increased Longbow damage against burning targets) changed to just a straight damage increase to burning targets. Tactics is the support tree; neither strongly offense or defense-oriented, just like Torch. I think it'd fit well in there without creating too many headaches, and it would remain deep enough in Tactics so DPS-focused warriors can't just scoop it up for extra damage.

Thief - Staff
Bo Staff for Support / Control. "Martial Artist"
1 - Sweep / Kick / Overhead Strike: (Chain) Swing your staff / deliver a roundhouse kick / strike your target, inflicting Vulnerability.
2 - Agile Defense: Block the next incoming attack, gain initiative if you are not attacked. Can be cancelled to make an evasive leap backwards that grants Vigor to five nearby allies.
3 - Spinning Strike: (Whirl) Spin your staff, striking up to 5 nearby enemies. If more than two enemies are struck, each additional enemy hit grants one second of regeneration to 5 nearby allies.
4 - Vault: (Leap) Use your staff to pole vault into the enemy, knocking them down. Confused enemies are also knocked backwards.
5 - Concussive Blow: A violent strike to the head, dazing the target briefly and causing confusion.

1 (Stealthed) - Unsheathe: Reveal a hidden, spring-loaded blade to hamstring your victim (Immobilize). Your next three attacks also inflict bleeding.

I've always felt like Thieves are sort of the martial arts masters of GW2's universe and wondered why they didn't have more traditional martial arts-style weapons.

They already have plenty of stealth options via other weapons, so I wanted to see them get something very evasive and acrobatic. The #2 skill can block or evade, and the #4 skill can be used to close gaps, or knock down, or knock back if you combo with #5 or another player. You could also theoretically use it to pole vault away from enemies.

Necromancer - Greatsword
Cleave Damage / Control, Puppetmaster

When using a Greatsword, a shadowy, puppet-like creature is conjured into existence that follows the necromancer like a minion. This minion wields the weapon, even when the Necromancer has the sword stowed. All of the attacks cause this shadow creature to teleport to the target and begin attacking at melee range, though it cannot be targeted or killed and is merely a visual effect for a ranged attack. Enemies do not focus on the Marionette, as it is not a pet. For added effect, the necromancer makes menacing puppeteer-like motions while casting.

1 - Mangle - Your shadow puppet hacks at the target repeatedly (Cleaves). Every third strike grants you life force.
2 - Silent Scream - Inflicts Fear (1s) and chilled (3s).
3 - Garrote - Your puppet lashes its own strings to your target, damaging them for 8 seconds during which the puppet remains immobile. Can be cancelled to strangle the victim, bleeding them and pulling them back towards the marionette.
4 - Horrid Presence - An aura of dark magic forms around your puppet, inflicting 1s of weakness per second to any enemies affected. Lasts 8 seconds.
5 - Cut the Strings - Gain 3s of evasion and swap weapons; your puppet continues to attack on its own for the next 7 seconds.

As a nice complimentary trait, even though the marionette cannot be injured, any time an enemy's attack 'strikes' it you would gain life force.

/shrug

Levyne

Banned
ranger

off hand sword

4-stab
5-also stab

i want two swords

I don't mean to demean people who legitimately post ideas, I'm just being silly.

Thorgal

Me thinks the vines are backtracking the Ley Line Scarlet disrupted. If you watch the FMV from the end of Season 1 again, you can see it goes from LA to what looks like Gendarran Fields (Applenook, specifically), through what appears to be an Asuran base (Possibly Thaumanova, but potentially Invariant Base or Aethervolt Lab in Brisban), then across what we assumed was Kessex and then into Maguuma.

Backtrack that across the Waypoints on the map where we're seeing vines and disruption and it goes from Drytop, across Brisban and Kessex and points towards Gendarran Fields.

My theory is that the Ley Line would then run south into LA, through Bloodtide and Sparkfly (potentially over Tequatl, which would mean his getting stronger could be related to Scarlet fuckin' around in that area) and into Timberline where the trailer says it will end up.

Also, there's a big chunk of map between Kessex and LA and a big chunk between Sparkfly and Timberline. Good places to add little mini-zones.

Hey , you stole my theory . :p

Just a theory but wouldn't it be possible that the vines are spreading through the Ley line that scarlet drilled into to wake up Mordremoth ?
It seems like because the way the wp are changing makes it look like it is making a bee line straight to lions arch .

I wouldn't also be surprised if that little line in maguuma will head south towards the grove .

Actually each class was given a new unique healing skill and few new grandmaster traits. I understand if you find that unsatisfactory, and I do not consider your demands completely unreasonable.

However I don't think people realize exactly the undertaking they're proposing. Anet spent over a year getting the launch weapons/skills into a decent balance. And when I see people propose new weapons, they're generally just citing a type of weapon, not a new or interesting role. "Engis should have hammers!" To bring what- CC? And then when they type out full proposals, they're redundant at best or hilariously bad at worst. I never played GW1, but from what I understand the excluded classes do not translate to this game.

Right one healing skill per class and one toxic clearing heal thing, worded that poorly.

On adding new weapons, I didn't mean like adding existing weapons to existing classes, but adding actual new weapons which give every class a bunch of new skills and skill combinations. Say like Scythe(granted necro with staff kinda get that already), Crossbows, Fist weapons, Flails, Chains, Rapiers(didn't Scarlet Briar use a rapier? I read up on the story a bit and noticed that) or whatever else they can come up with. Each class would get one of say 2 new weapons to add to their existing set and come up with new combos. It's the same thing as adding new skills pretty much.

On the GW1 classes, well Assassin is basically Thief so there isn't much to add there. Ritualist is conceptually not a GW2 class, it has Guardian's Virtues and Engineer Turrets as well as being a heal class, so there's a ton of overlap or stuff that simply doesn't exist(healing). I think Dervish though would fit relatively nicely, melee class with elemental(earth, wind, water) affinity. The elemental stuff could easily be made different than the Elementalist stances and D/D elementalist and stuff, so it'd work nicely. However it's an Elona class so that doesn't fit lore wise in terms of progression. That said it's all kinda a moot point and they could add anything and name it anything. They could have a martial arts + spirits class and call it Ritualist, say that over the 250years since last Cantha contact, ritualists have stopped relying as much on spirits and honed their body and bam new class that calls back to GW1 and is original and works in GW2. It's not really that hard to imagine that kind of stuff, implementation and balance would obviously be much harder.

I wasn't aware that they did mention adding new stuff even though they wouldn't add an expansion though, that sounds fine to me, when I came with the expansion suggestion I didn't mean it HAD to be an expansion and had to come with a bunch of expansion stuff. While I wouldn't mind something like Nightfall with a bunch of new alternative leveling zones, a large story, a new class, many skills for every classes, the much more advanced heroes system and so on, I'm fine with things being added bit by bit.

Lunar15

The vines are in Timberland, aren't they? What if the vines are traveling towards the remains of Zhaitan in Orr? What if Mordremoth is trying to suck up all the energy Zhaitan left behind when he died?

This might not be the case though. It could be that they're just heading to Scarlet's Drill site, which was supposedly an intersection of laylines. From there it could spread out to all of Tyria, which I think is the overall goal here.

Also, to toot my own horn, back when we were making predictions for season 2, I totally called that Mordremoth's vines would spread throughout all of Tyria, causing events to happen in older zones. It's not that far-fetched to imagine, though, given that we knew he was all about vines.

Moondrop

Banned
Warrior - Torch
Boon Removal / Condition Damage
First I'd like to commend you for proposing merely an offhand weapon. People go for the home run, but new offhands is what I wager Anet will add first.

But herein you encounter the first major problem of fan-designed skills. You've identified two of warrior's major weaknesses- lack of boon strips and blinds- and supplied them. Is this good, in the sense it will encourage warrior build diversity? I would doubt that, and suspect these weaknesses are there deliberately.

Thief - Staff
Necromancer - Greatsword
I don't play either so I can't really comment, sorry. Except that I think warrior should have a bo staff; it is the master profession after all. And I do think there are some gameplay mechanics to be explored in a melee weapon with slightly longer reach. Edit: looking more closely, this thief staff sounds like the most fun weapon in the game and probably OP.

Another necro minion sounds pretty scary actually.

In response to your courage, I will post my own hacky five-skill weapon proposal later once I work out the beats for all to mock. :)

They could have a martial arts + spirits class and call it Ritualist, say that over the 250years since last Cantha contact, ritualists have stopped relying as much on spirits and honed their body and bam new class that calls back to GW1 and is original and works in GW2.
Yeah, martial arts could definitely be added to GW2. Good call.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
First I'd like to commend you for proposing merely an offhand weapon. People go for the home run, but new offhands is what I wager Anet will add first.

But herein you encounter the first major problem of fan-designed skills. You've identified two of warrior's major weaknesses- lack of boon strips and blinds- and supplied them. Is this good, in the sense it will encourage warrior build diversity? I would doubt that, and suspect these weaknesses are there deliberately.
Constructing a good answer to this question means taking into account all the other new weapons skills afforded to every class at the same time, and is thus impossible. :( Does adding this advantage to the warrior's skill set adequate counter some new burst trickery from casters? Can guardians and thieves now resupply boons more easily than they used to be able to? Obviously, merely adding a new offhand weapon to warriors which removed class limitations while all the others remained static would be a god-awful idea. It does seem to make sense as a weapon idea at least!
On adding new weapons, I didn't mean like adding existing weapons to existing classes, but adding actual new weapons which give every class a bunch of new skills and skill combinations. Say like Scythe(granted necro with staff kinda get that already), Crossbows, Fist weapons, Flails, Chains, Rapiers(didn't Scarlet Briar use a rapier? I read up on the story a bit and noticed that) or whatever else they can come up with. Each class would get one of say 2 new weapons to add to their existing set and come up with new combos. It's the same thing as adding new skills pretty much.
It is adding new skills. Thing is, so would adding existing weapons to the current classes- minus the need to create new weapon meshes and textures.

Lunar15

Part of me is wondering if this is not the vines traveling through the laylines, but rather the result of the seeds that Scarlet was sending out from the Tower of Nightmares.

Think about it, all of the most restricted waypoints are around Kessex.

The seeds would then attach themselves to waypoints in order to link back to Mordremoth. We might be looking at it backwards: The vines aren't coming from Mordremoth, they're going to him.

Actually, on second thought, I don't think they're using the waypoints to go back to anywhere. I think they're just choking us out.

Considering how badly 80% of the population plays what they already have in terms of professions and weapons, I'd rather ArenaNet focus on adding more content to play through that helps teach people how to play better, before muddying up the waters with more skills people can use poorly.

*grump*

Y'all are cray, warrior is the most obvious one.

Main hand Shield
1: Shield Slash: use shield to cut through opponents in front of him. Third hit grants protection, retaliation or whatever. Ranged attack, 600.
2: Stars & Stripes: damage and knockback on a cleave.
3: Charging Star: knockback on a straight line. Counts as a block during execution.

Burst Skill: Final Justice. Charge target, kick the crap outta him. Eagle screech while it happens.

Warrior must shout every attack name. If traited, these shouts can remove conditions. This will totes not break pvp.
There.

Ashodin

Part of me is wondering if this is not the vines traveling through the laylines, but rather the result of the seeds that Scarlet was sending out from the Tower of Nightmares.

Think about it, all of the most restricted waypoints are around Kessex.

The seeds would then attach themselves to waypoints in order to link back to Mordremoth. We might be looking at it backwards: The vines aren't coming from Mordremoth, they're going to him.

Actually, on second thought, I don't think they're using the waypoints to go back to anywhere. I think they're just choking us out.

I think our waypoints are a liability, and Mordremoth is going to exploit that.

BraXzy

Woww while I've been out gallivanting you guys have been posting like cray cray.

I wouldn't mind the removal of levels for this game. Given how the game only really opens up when you hit 80, and the fact that combat is so gimped at lower levels, I prefer if the game actually just gave you all the tools at the beginning. Progression can be done in getting equips and special skills or traits, kinda like Monster Hunter in that aspect. In fact, it would be nice if this game took some ideas from MonHun, like better boss fights.

I feel like there are too many things locked behind something during levelling. I understand that dropping too many things onto a new player at once can be daunting as hell, but the way it is now is kinda.. eh. For example either lock traits behind quests/purchases, or give players all trait points to spend with the slotted traits still locked away. There's a lot of work to unlock stuff that imo isn't needed. When you're part way through levelling, rather than doing some experimentation with builds you're worrying about how you are going to unlock the stuff.

A bunch of waypoints around Tyria now have those thorn vines trying to touch them and theres even one in Brisban that has one of the vines wrapped around it and there are new books added to the Durmand Priory about Scarlet, Leylines, and Waypoints.

All the waypoints are going to be deactivated confirmed

Ooh. It would be pretty cool if they temporarily locked WP's. It would throw everything into chaos but it'd be fun all the same. Imagine having to make a run between world bosses rather than waypointing. And maybe they could do an achievement of travelling across Tyria on foot.

Also, some of the loot I got :D

Someone knows I like GoT

Someone knows I like Breaking Bad

Retro

The vines are in Timberland, aren't they? What if the vines are traveling towards the remains of Zhaitan in Orr? What if Mordremoth is trying to suck up all the energy Zhaitan left behind when he died?

This might not be the case though. It could be that they're just heading to Scarlet's Drill site, which was supposedly an intersection of laylines. From there it could spread out to all of Tyria, which I think is the overall goal here.

I dunno if it's heading towards Orr, I just think the Ley Line does a crazy bend south from LA and through Bloodtide / Sparkfly where it does a crazy turn east.

Or, for all we know, the Ley Lines aren't a current so much as river; there could be small tributaries that run off in other directions. There could be places that act like 'springs' of energy that then trickle off towards the main flow. The vines could spread up those.

Alternatively, there could be all of these Ley Lines crossing over each other and at some point the vines might jump off the "Thaumanova to LA" line that Scarlet breached and into something else (Kralkatorrik is off in that direction).

Warrior has so many weapons, there's just not many left and few that make sense (Why would a warrior ever use a Focus or Scepter). Torch seemed like it was "real" enough to not be magical and could compliment existing elements (the aforementioned trait that increases damage against burning targets).

Burning condition and Blind both seemed like an obvious fit since Warriors already having both via Longbow (and as I mentioned, that trait is tucked in a line that is support-oriented, neither too offensive or too defensive). Blind is a defensive option, but not one as hard as, say, Shield Stance.

Boon Removal is a gap in the Warrior toolkit, and one that I don't think they should have too much of, but something that would make sense if tucked away into a middle-of-the-road option (again; shield is defense / control and dual wielded weapons are more damage). It would fit well into a Condi / support build; a little damage, a little survival, a little control.

And lighting your mainhand weapon on fire is just all sorts of badass.

I think warrior should have a bo staff; it is the master profession after all. And I do think there are some gameplay mechanics to be explored in a melee weapon with slightly longer reach. Edit: looking more closely, this thief staff sounds like the most fun weapon in the game and probably OP.

Staff is more of a "magic" weapon, and while Thieves are mostly physical combat too, they do have "Shadow Magic", so that's kind of an in. I think a warrior would look at a staff and laugh. To paraphrase Conan, if you're going to fight, do it with a real weapon, not with a toothpick.
JUWnj.gif

And yeah, the Thief one is kinda OP unless the Initiative cost on the 5 skill is high enough that you can't reliably spam 4 / 5 to keep an enemy perma-downed. When I toss ideas out and stuff, I look more at the mechanics than the numbers, because there's no way in hell I can balance that kind of stuff without having access to the inner workings of the game. Mechanically, Thief Staff sounds good, maybe a little OP, until you plug numbers into it to make it work as intended.

In response to your courage, I will post my own hacky five-skill weapon proposal later once I work out the beats for all to mock. :)

Eh, we're just having a discussion, I don't think anyone is going to roll into the thread and go "OMG U LOSERS, SUCH OP LOL". I'm looking forward to it, and whatever other people want to post.

Yeah, martial arts could definitely be added to GW2. Good call.

Fist Weapons are something every class could use if introduced, and used in a variety of ways. Weltall and I put together a rough list a year or so ago, I'll see if I can find our notes, because some of them were really awesome (Engineers with Rocket Punch and Elementalist with Perma-conjured weapons).

I made a speculation image based on the current trajectories of the WPs and what we know will happen next week:

Oh and Retro, I overlayed the leyline routes, it's not exactly the same route, but they're nearby.

The blue dots are waypoints that fall near those lines, I assume?

Moondrop

Banned
Fist Weapons are something every class could use if introduced, and used in a variety of ways.
I've thought of an alternative implementation: every class is given a set of unarmed skills, 1-5. Then if you equip just an off-hand weapon, you still have the 1-3 unarmed skills available, and vice-versa with equipping just a mainhand. Potentially unbalancing, yes, but build diversity would increase greatly.

Ashodin

Blue dots are shortest Waypoint Paths to an objective that Mordremoth might be after. Blocking off DR and Grove might be an objective, and I took the shortest and logical route (along leylines somewhat) to Concordia; once I mapped this out, it looks like Concordia is not obviously the final "destination". I'm concerned Mordremoth is after Fort Trinity.

I ALSO think the device that we find next week is a copy of the Central Transfer Chamber, modified to one person: Scarlet.

Spears, tridents and harpoon guns need to be implemented for land.

The weapon skins are already in the game.

More diversity right there + it would make those Legendaries/Exotics less useless.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've thought of an alternative implementation: every class is given a set of unarmed skills, 1-5. Then if you equip just an off-hand weapon, you still have the 1-3 unarmed skills available, and vice-versa with equipping just a mainhand. Potentially unbalancing, yes, but build diversity would increase greatly.
the thiefy possibilities!
Considering how badly 80% of the population plays what they already have in terms of professions and weapons, I'd rather ArenaNet focus on adding more content to play through that helps teach people how to play better, before muddying up the waters with more skills people can use poorly.

*grump*
I gotta say, I really hope they don't let this affect things in terms of addition. Helping people play better is a virtuous goal, but one that doesn't have the most tangible returns, allow for horizontal progression or offer new possibilities in, say, a GAF-run dungeon where I already know everyone can play just fine. New skills change the game up for literally everyone! It would be candy.

Balance between the weapons as wielded by already good players is the much clearer reason not to do this willy-nilly.

Retro

I like the idea of there being actual "Fist" type weapons, with a whole range of gloves, claws and over-sized gauntlets.

I dug around for the e-mails Weltall and I passed back and forth, here's the rough ideas we had for each profession. Some only had a rough description or concept, I think some had actual skills. They're all just ideas we thought would be neat. We never settled how they'd be equipped; some of these describe them like two-handed weapons, others as individual pieces that you equip to either hand individually. /shrug

Warrior
"Brawler", Main and Off hand; knockbacks, sucker punch, control effects on the off-hand. Maybe a chain attack that incorporates a kick.

Guardian
"Magic Gauntlet" used in the off-hand as a casting weapon. One skill conjured a giant grasping hand that you could use to push enemies around; it didn't immobilize them, but instead held them in place in relation to the guardian, so you could cast it and then run at them and it'd keep pushing them away. The other let you conjure a shield, no real notes on that.

Mesmer
"Illusionist", main-hand only. The #1 skill was a chain attack where the character would slash at the air and illusionary weapons would be formed out of magic. Something like a phantom broadsword swing, then a rapier thrust, then a greatsword cleave. #2 was a defensive ability called "Slight of Hand" where any enemy that attacked you would have their weapon removed (literally; the item disappeared) and their skills replaced with unarmed skills like a punch. Sort of like a mini-Moa Morph. #3 we talked about being a ray of pink "Mirror shards" that behaved like the Engineer's flamethrower, able to be swept around to hit multiple foes.

Engineer
"Gadget Glove", off-hand only. #4 skill was a Rocket Punch that let you fire your fist at the enemy, knocking them down. #5 was "Static Hooks" that you fired like a taser; little cables would shoot out and electrify the enemy. You could cancel the skill early to retract the cables and yank the enemy towards you. It had too much overlap with the shield though.

Ranger:
The best we could come up with for Ranger was either a "Nature Magic Monk" or "Animal Handler" concept. No skills, though we batted the idea of an off-hand glove that you always held up and had a hawk sitting on it around.

Thief:
"Kung-Fu Master", Two-hands. No real skills, but we listed some ideas like rapid-fire punches, chakra-attacks that inflicted conditons, etc. I think we kind of glossed over it because there's so many ideas for a hand-to-hand thief we didn't know where to start.

Necro:
The Puppet Master idea I had for Greatsword above is what was originally going to be for Necro (who used it in both hands).

Elementalist
"Conjurer", two hands. The idea here was that depending on which attunement you're in, you have a permanent conjured weapon with which to attack;
- Fire: Flame Whip (close to medium range)
- Water: Frost Claws (close range)
- Air: Storm Lance (long range, it was 'thrown' a lot)
- Earth: Stone Maul (just a big, honkin' hammer with a fist for a head that you swung around).

BraXzy

Um that's because Breaking Bad is awesome!

Damn straight it is! I also got a Heisenberg mug thing which has a lid.. and the lid acts as his hat, I'm amused by the simplest things :D

Random point.. I was doing Teq on a map that was struggling really badly, I happened to manage to join Hawk's instance when mine was half way through. I caught his at they killed Teq and I got the main chest but only one UI chest. I decided to find someone in chat from earlier and managed to join the old instance, they managed it by 30 seconds and I got the other three chests which I didn't think would happen.

That'll teach me for not being prepared and losing track of time though!

Spears, tridents and harpoon guns need to be implemented for land.

The weapon skins are already in the game.

More diversity right there + it would make those Legendaries/Exotics less useless.

I think there should be a polearm/scytche/double bladed sword/fighting staff category as well.
However, I reckon a good amount of those skins have a underwater theme that might not suit land weapons.

I think Guardian should have a throwing spear weapon, while Warrior should have a one-handed spear that could be used in either main or off hand. spears could also be a melee weapon for the thief and engineer. Maybe a KD/AOE defense hybrid weapon for these medium armor classes to survive.

Moondrop

Banned
Retro I'm just joking about the whole "courage to put these ideas out there" because you did so after I said all fan proposals are bad. And I include myself; I can't work out satisfactory details for a ranger druid staff.

My vote for a new class of weapon would be flails. It's got diversity of design (leather, metal, organic, magical), sufficient classes to justify thematically (warrior, guardian, thief, ranger, mesmer, necro), variable ranges, and could be main or off-hand.

Retro

If they add spears, they would have a hard time implementing one weapon type across all professions. Instead, I would expect them to have three different "Spear"-types; two-handed Halberds, main-hand Spear and off-hand Javelins. It's hard to apply universally (I can't see an Engineer making much use of a spear, for example), but that's a step in the right direction.

I think if they do add new weapon choices, it'll shake out as Warrior Torch, Guardian Shortbow, Thief and Ranger both off-hand Sword, Engineer Hammer (obviously), Mesmer mainhand pistol (or off-hand dagger), Necromancer Torch (even though Greatsword could work and be badass as hell), Elementalist main-hand sword.

Ashodin

If they make Necro Greatsword, I'm all in.

Guardian Shortbow yum yum. Gimme. Let us fire glowing arrows of light and shit!

Some of our talents already fit, with two-handed mastery and such.

spiritfox

An Engie javelin could be used like a rocket launcher :p

I'm do want polearms though. It's a weapon class that's surprisingly missing even though it's the most used weapon in the world prior to firearms. Also, I want to wield a spear/shield War and go Zulu on my enemies.

Edit: WHY AM I ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AGAIN AHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom