• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you should link stuff like that kos.

that_shaman embellished on that one a little too, it may not look quite like that. Pretty cool though.

tumblr_n7amj9ay011qlxt8qo1_400.jpg

tumblr_n7amj9ay011qlxt8qo2_400.gif

Via tumblr.

And this made me laugh:

z7UIudm.png

Lastly, something I didn't even see myself before, but was pointed out to me:

tumblr_n5zu073OZQ1rzkxc0o1_400.png

tumblr_n5zu073OZQ1rzkxc0o2_400.png

8JBv4Y0.png

utWulSg.png

via: http://felidae-charr.tumblr.com/post/86531792732/so-lets-actually-get-serious-for-a-moment-for

Zeroth

Pretty sure they will add a version of it to the gem store, though lacking a noticeable effect the pvp one will have. I highly doubt anet would develop an all new armor for a dozen of people to use.

Pretty sure they will add a version of it to the gem store, though lacking a noticeable effect the pvp one will have. I highly doubt anet would develop an all new armor for a dozen of people to use.

They plan on using it as a reward for things in the future, so gem store doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

In addition to paid travel and accommodations for the duration of gamescom, players will be competing for in-game prizes, including a brand-new armor set exclusive to PvP tournaments! For now, this armor set will only be available to our All-Star competitors, but in the future we’ll be opening up more opportunities for players to win the right to wear this prestigious set.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/your-vote-decides-the-guildwars2-international-all-stars-teams/

This..

No way Anet passes up a chance to make money in CS, no expansion insight Cash shop is the money maker, this armor will be in the CS even if it's a lesser version or a the same, lesser version probably right after the tourney, the same or improved version a few months after...

Looking for some class opinions. Only 2 classes I haven't played past lvl 20ish were Warrior and Ranger. I know Warrior is in a good spot but have very little interest in playing one so I'd be leaning more toward Ranger and possibly Necro since I played that during alpha only. Figure I'd rather level new chars than use my 80s, at least until I get used to the game again.

So Ranger, thoughts? I've heard pretty bad things from reading reddit/official forums/another forum, bad DPS, not really any advantage to ranger over any other class and stuff like that. From a PvE perspective, how bad(or good) are they? PvP I don't care too much about and I'd probably just play my elementalist anyway since I loved the class so mostly looking toward a dungeon/fractals point of view.

Same question pretty much for Necro.

Don't care too much about what's best or worst but more, how large the difference is between the two, how much worse those 2 classes are compared to what's considered the best(warrior/elem?). Would being either of these classes get me automatically kicked from PUGs or create issues finding groups and such?

Jira

Looking for some class opinions. Only 2 classes I haven't played past lvl 20ish were Warrior and Ranger. I know Warrior is in a good spot but have very little interest in playing one so I'd be leaning more toward Ranger and possibly Necro since I played that during alpha only. Figure I'd rather level new chars than use my 80s, at least until I get used to the game again.

So Ranger, thoughts? I've heard pretty bad things from reading reddit/official forums/another forum, bad DPS, not really any advantage to ranger over any other class and stuff like that. From a PvE perspective, how bad(or good) are they? PvP I don't care too much about and I'd probably just play my elementalist anyway since I loved the class so mostly looking toward a dungeon/fractals point of view.

Same question pretty much for Necro.

Don't care too much about what's best or worst but more, how large the difference is between the two, how much worse those 2 classes are compared to what's considered the best(warrior/elem?). Would being either of these classes get me automatically kicked from PUGs or create issues finding groups and such?

The only people who care if you're a ranger or not are the select few elitists in the game. All you gotta do is form your own groups in the group finder or guild and it's a non-issue. I can't speak for them as of this moment, but a few months ago I remember seeing a ranger in a group in one of the fastest Lupi kills in the world.

Levyne

Banned
Some of the DnT (speed running guild) peeps have said that Ranger Dps is only ~5% less than Warrior in good conditions. Plus no other class will give groups Frost Spirit or spotter. Ranger Warhorn is a decent source for group Fury.

Most Ranger grievances come from weird pet mechanics. They are sometimes hard to use properly in stacks and you can't manually flag a position for them to go to nor force stow them in combat.

Some of the DnT (speed running guild) peeps have said that Ranger Dps is only ~5% less than Warrior in good conditions. Plus no other class will give groups Frost Spirit or spotter. Ranger Warhorn is a decent source for group Fury.

Most Ranger grievances come from weird pet mechanics. They are sometimes hard to use properly in stacks and you can't manually flag a position for them to go to nor force stow them in combat.

You mean in this topic?

They're comparing to a EA warrior, tho, and that's about 30% less damage than a dps warrior. Points considered is that rangers can produce 15 stacks of vuln with ease and, as mentioned, can give a lotta crit to the party.

Reading the thread, i can kinda see why people tend to avoid ranger pugs. You'd apparently need a melee ranger if GOING FASSSST, and those are... rare. (tbh you need melee everything if doing that. people need to be damn close to get in on the mightfest) Overall sure looks way better than a necro, tho.

Anyway, you'll always have a slot in gafgroups, regardless of class, so pick whichever you want. (pick ranger :D)

BraXzy

You follow my Twitter it seems. ;)

But yeah, the amount of work that can go into a less-than-ten-seconds shot, always amazes me.

Actually no, I saw it in the GoT thread haha. It's awesome, I haven't seen too many but one that really surprised me was the Wolf of Wall Street reel. There's some scenes that are almost entirely CG'd that I thought were sets.

Link if interested: http://vimeo.com/83523133

Zeroth

They plan on using it as a reward for things in the future, so gem store doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/your-vote-decides-the-guildwars2-international-all-stars-teams/

Ah, I see. I was under the impression this was going to be exclusive to this tournament, hence my skeptism about it not being used in the gem store (or anywhere else, for that matter). I could see it becoming a reward for achieving the final rank in PvP.

Though as a counterpoint, this post is also true.

To bring this topic into 2014, myself and 99.99% of all League of Legend players will never see/experience Challenger-level ‘content’ like tournaments, streams, and the balance/meta game that exists at that level. And it’s a level that Riot spends a serious amount of time, effort, and money on. So while it’s not exactly apples to apples, just like the pro level of LoL helps bring in new players and keep existing players interested/involved, those 5-10% raids do something similar for your MMO, especially now with Twitch being so popular. People can watch those at a higher level, and because they are watching a video game vs something like professional basketball (where no matter how hard you try, you just won’t grow tall enough to dunk the ball), they actually CAN work to get better and get closer to that level.

Retro

Not going to surprise many folks with that kind of thing around here, that's been a rock solid Truth for ages. The only people who think raiders make up the majority of MMO players are raiders.

The real question is, how do the regular players take their MMO forums back?

Edit: Regarding the counterpoint, I would rather play a game than watch someone else play it. I hold this opinion towards professional sports as well, so maybe I'm just an odd duck.

Though as a counterpoint, this post is also true.

I question how true that actually is. Anecodotal but every time I'm in a twitch channel watching someone play an MMO, the chat is comprised primarily of people arguing with each other or talking about how bad the person playing is.... even when they're known to be one of the top players in the world.

More seriously though.. I feel like even though players can watch an LoL or WoW streamer and feel like there's a real possibility to get to that level of play, the reality is a lot closer to hoping to be a Pro Basketball player. It's not very likely to ever happen.

Moondrop

Banned
I don't get it. Who correspond to "raiders" in GW2? Surely not WvWers.

The reason to watch streams of competitive games is to learn tactics. No, it will never make you a professional, but there is more potential for improvement than watching video of a NBA player take jumpshots.

I don't get it. Who correspond to "raiders" in GW2? Surely not WvWers.

The reason to watch streams of competitive games is to learn tactics. No, it will never make you a professional, but there is more potential for improvement than watching video of a NBA player take jumpshots.

I didn't mean to imply there was a direct comparison in type of content, only in how a small minority can often appear like the majority.

Edit: Regarding the counterpoint, I would rather play a game than watch someone else play it. I hold this opinion towards professional sports as well, so maybe I'm just an odd duck.

You and me both. If I go looking for a guide for a profession in GW2, and it links to a YouTube video, I don't watch it. I don't watch Twitch. I don't watch Let's Plays. I actually can't stand any of that kind of content. I'd much rather read a well-written summary of something, a build, or a game, than watch a video. The only exceptions may be 'funny' stuff, like a Necro doing something humorous against a karmatrain in EotM, but I consider those equivalent to cat videos.

I question how true that actually is. Anecodotal but every time I'm in a twitch channel watching someone play an MMO, the chat is comprised primarily of people arguing with each other or talking about how bad the person playing is.... even when they're known to be one of the top players in the world.

Twitch chat is worse than reading the comments under a YouTube. That stuff gives you eye cancer. You simply don't do it. (I run a plugin on Chrome that literally removes the comment section from YouTube).

Moondrop

Banned
Ok, I just thought there was some inference I'm not getting. I have no idea what goes on in the official forums, but I would guess sPvP and WvW posters may be disproportionate percentage-wise, but nowhere near a majority of posters when combined.

Ok, I just thought there was some inference I'm not getting. I have no idea what goes on in the official forums, but I would guess sPvP and WvW posters may be disproportionate percentage-wise, but nowhere near a majority of posters when combined.

Nah, the majority of posters on the GW2 forums are the "Anet literally hates dungoneers and do everything in their power to prove to us how much they hate us" and the "I quit the game two weeks in and this recent change that I clearly have no way of experiencing myself because I quit I swear is literally worse than Hitler and proves Arenanet has no idea how to make a game".

And then everyone else.

As for the main topic at hand: I agree that it's never a good idea to try and appeal to the vocal minority, it's also not a good idea to entirely deny a dedicated minority the content they crave. It's like, even though I have zero interest in WvW, I'd want Anet to fully support it as much as is viable based on cost-vs-participation, and all such metrics. Even though easily 90% of GW2 players are PvE exclusive, the 10% that are exclusively not PvE, deserve proper support. Which so far, I think Anet is doing, even if they're not doing it on the timetable those players would want.

Shiokazu

Not going to surprise many folks with that kind of thing around here, that's been a rock solid Truth for ages. The only people who think raiders make up the majority of MMO players are raiders.

The real question is, how do the regular players take their MMO forums back?

remember when i said:

im still trying to understand why people are making such a fuss over the world cup.

game is so bad it doesnt have gameplay mechanics.

thats exactly why i dont like watching games tournaments, or professional sports.

i like doing stuff.

sadly, i think people who like doing stuff are a minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom