• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyunashi

As a counter argument i would argue that being able to completely shut a boss down and instead of having a long and protracted battle you literally melt his health bar down is quite exhilarating and it gives an awesome feeling ( for me ) .

Yea I love that feeling too. I mean there are many ways you can play this game, but if you enjoy slogging through the insanely
dumb and
high health pools of trash/bosses in dungeons/fractals/wherever in condition or tank gear or healing power or even a mix-and-match gearset, then more power to you.

They way many encounters are designed in the current state of GW2 is a joke anyway. Higher health pools does not mean content is difficult, rather its tedious. I am thankful for this zerker meta because it lets me get things done faster so i can spend time doing more of the things I like in game (like farming gold or WvW
(and steering clear of the awfully terrible/boring PvP)
). Some people on reddit or the forums believe that nerfing the zerk meta would solve everything. It wont. Its up to ANET to bring other roles up to par.

Retro

Saturday Night Missions in ~10 minutes

They way many encounters are designed in the current state of GW2 is a joke anyway. Higher health pools does not mean content is difficult, rather its tedious.

I agree with this completely (though the rest of your post, not so much); a lot of the content the game launched with is dominated by fights like that, none more in my mind than the Butcher path in HotW who is basically a giant damage sponge. Fractals and TA Aetherpath are leaps and bounds better, and show that they can do excellent dungeon content, but don't. I can't say I blame them, however, especially given the reception the Aetherpath has received from players who complain it's too long, too hard and not rewarding enough (of which I'd agree with only the length issue). I'd say it's right about where it should be.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
"What animal am I?"
ZIwsl3O.jpg

A very pretty llama

Hyunashi

Saturday Night Missions in ~10 minutes

I agree with this completely (though the rest of your post, not so much); a lot of the content the game launched with is dominated by fights like that, none more in my mind than the Butcher path in HotW who is basically a giant damage sponge. Fractals and TA Aetherpath are leaps and bounds better, and show that they can do excellent dungeon content, but don't. I can't say I blame them, however, especially given the reception the Aetherpath has received from players who complain it's too long, too hard and not rewarding enough (of which I'd agree with only the length issue). I'd say it's right about where it should be.

Thats fine because thats the beauty of GW2 imo anyways - that people can play the way they want. I will admit, however, that I sometimes get bored of the zerk meta. BUT im not sure if it really is because I solely play it, or because I am bored with running the same content everyday in my quest for my 11th legendary.

That said, I am pretty optimistic for HoT. I cant wait to try condi builds for one. I am also sure they have more variety planned.

I just did it... I got my Ascended heavy armor. That was bananas. What a crazy gold sink. Fortunately I had enough to buy it. Those Bolts of Damask where super expensive.

Twookie

Have anet given any info like forexample the release date of that upcoming expansion?

thinking of starting playing it again now that i'm done with my finals for this year

MattyG

Banned
So I cleared the first zone a couple months ago and then kind of bailed on the game because of school and other games. Now that it's summer, I'm gonna get back to it (once I finish TW3). Would you all recommend continuing with my character I made a while back, or starting a new one?

Retro

Have anet given any info like forexample the release date of that upcoming expansion?

thinking of starting playing it again now that i'm done with my finals for this year

No release date yet, but they'll be at E3 next week which is a first for them, I believe. Might get a date then, might not.

So I cleared the first zone a couple months ago and then kind of bailed on the game because of school and other games. Now that it's summer, I'm gonna get back to it (once I finish TW3). Would you all recommend continuing with my character I made a while back, or starting a new one?

Depends; were you having fun on that character? Since each profession has their own feel (i.e. Thief plays differently from warrior, and so on) it has a lot of impact on how much or how little you'll enjoy the game.

Beyond that, there's not much reason to start over; they haven't added anything new in the last few months at the lower levels.

hythloday

They've done quite a few blogs on their website from week to week showcasing different things in the expansion, but so far there's no release date. They're going to be at E3 this year so maybe there will be more news then.

I'd say that boils down to whether you want to try a new class. If you only cleared the first zone, you're still pretty early on so it should be relatively easy to jump back in.

MattyG

Banned
I'd say that boils down to whether you want to try a new class. If you only cleared the first zone, you're still pretty early on so it should be relatively easy to jump back in.
This is probably what I'll end up doing. I don't even remember what class I was, but if I get back in and don't like it I'll try something new.

I also just got a new GPU (970) and have to find a better AA method than FXAA. I can't remember, but is there way to use a different method?

Thorgal

This is probably what I'll end up doing. I don't even remember what class I was, but if I get back in and don't like it I'll try something new.

I also just got a new GPU (970) and have to find a better AA method than FXAA. I can't remember, but is there way to use a different method?

If you have Nvidia Inspector installed , you can use it to add SSAA and MSAA to the game .

here : http://ipkonfig.com/guild-wars-2-bringing-antialiasing-to-the-game

Spyware

Some may remember that my last attempt to upgrade my computer failed due to hardware borkiness. I finally had the courage to try again and now I have problems with Windows instead. Had this same Windows through many upgrades and it was never a problem before. No GW2 for me atm D:

Retro

Excellent Make-up missions, as usual. A big thanks to everyone who came out, especially those who got their comms last night but came to help their guildies out.

Hopefully we'll be getting some more news this week, usually they tweet some kind of teaser on Monday if they are so watch for that. Still five more elite specs to be revealed and not a peep on guild halls yet.

The week after is E3, so apart from NeoGAF slowing to a crawl or just outright crashing (as is tradition) we might get some news since ArenaNet will be attending. Cross for your fingers for a release date.

Thanks again everyone!

Male Norn.

Excellent, I'm still not sure if I'll be going Male or Female Norn yet, but leaning towards Female. My ranger is a Norn Male so, there's that.

Some may remember that my last attempt to upgrade my computer failed due to hardware borkiness. I finally had the courage to try again and now I have problems with Windows instead. Had this same Windows through many upgrades and it was never a problem before. No GW2 for me atm D:

Boo, are you planning to upgrade to 10 in a month? Meg's new PC came with Win8 loaded and it's just the worst. Maybe upgrading to 10 will solve it, or no?

I''m thinking of making my revenant a male Asura. But I can never get male asura to not look terrible.

I am going Female Norn, the males look stupid huge body and the tiny fucking head, even when i messed around with with the skinny male norn still looks stupid, I got my name already reserved, Immortan Furiosa...

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Seems fitting that my first Ranked PvP match, in a year, with my Green Arrow ranger is up against a team called The Avengers.

I thought queuing solo matched you up with other misfits against misfits? Not match me with misfits against a themed pvp team. I did lol at the Hulk being a guardian and Black Widow being a necro.

Levyne

Banned
I have a name picked out too, just not gonna say it in case I change my mind later, haha.

Some random stuff that people might care about, but probably not:

Still working on a smooth Lupi duo. My shadow recording kind of bugged out last night, but here is a fairly large webm video with most of the fight, at least a bit of all 3 phases. I shrunk it down so that it could be hosted, but it's still pretty large so remove the space in the url to see it (don't want a 50Mb webm playing automatically for people with the extension.) There's no audio and yeah it cuts out before it ends, couldn't shrink it down enough to keep it undersize for the whole fight.

http://a.pomf.s e/kjkmpn.webm

I was able to solo-cheese Lupi today too. I tried on Ranger earlier but I feel like there are not enough dodges in the world now that his single target range attack hits anywhere. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it otherwise on guard with all the tools they have to survive, but even this was a bit of a learning experience. Had to effectively hybridize between 5-man cheese lupi setup and Duo no-cheese setup. For anyone that cares about specifics, I found that I had to really alternate between scepter ranging and getting in close with the GS. Otherwise, the amount of moving I found I had to do in order for locusts to not kill me would just end up wiggling Lupi around too much. Of course, once the WoR is off the fight is pretty much over.

I also have my first solo kill of Alphard on guard. I really enjoy not having to run around a pillar like a chicken with its head cut off. Not the most stylish kill even but hey, I was learning the fight as I went. Why did no one tell me mace was op. My shield of the avenger betrays me but then allows me to rally, so it's all cool between me and him.

Mace also helped with Belka. Sword is just unreliable since the projectile nature of a couple of the attacks.

Belka Sword
Belka Mace
Cheese lupi + Alphard (First go)

For anyone that cares about specifics, I found that I had to really alternate between scepter ranging and getting in close with the GS.

I've rarely seen Guardian solos where they bother with melee at all. They almost always camp Scepter/Focus (and even Torch) for the entire fight.

MattyG

Banned
So I think I was removed from the guild due to being away for a couple months. Is it full up, or can I get back in?

MattyG

Banned
100% cleared the first zone, finally moved on to chapter 3 of the story and second zone. I really like the combat and the structure of this game, and I have a feeling it will grab me even more when I hit later zones.

Sorry for the late reply, but wanted to confirm that I invited you.
Yup, I'm in. Thanks!

UltraMav

Had a great "MMO Moment" (MMOment?) today. Was out of shovels and trying to mooch off others finding chests in Silverwastes in order to get the Empyreal fragments I needed for my first ascended weapon. Was having poor luck at it when I saw one guy open two in a row. Started following him and thanked him, he said he had more than 40 shovels. So we came to an agreement, I got my own private chest train in exchange for sending him whatever armored scales and crystalline dust I could spare. Worked out great, I now can finish my weapon and we chatted the whole time, so I made a new ingame friend too. It's days like this I remember why I play MMOs instead of only single player RPGs.

Xanathus

100% cleared the first zone, finally moved on to chapter 3 of the story and second zone. I really like the combat and the structure of this game, and I have a feeling it will grab me even more when I hit later zones.

Yup, I'm in. Thanks!

One thing to know is that you don't have to completely clear zones, feel free to move on to another zone and do whatever you want as long as you're at or above the level for the enemies. Another cool thing to know is the location and times of when world bosses spawn and to try and make your way to them because they're pretty fun to do. I use this timer:
http://timer.silversunshine.net/

Levyne

Banned
Had a great "MMO Moment" (MMOment?) today. Was out of shovels and trying to mooch off others finding chests in Silverwastes in order to get the Empyreal fragments I needed for my first ascended weapon. Was having poor luck at it when I saw one guy open two in a row. Started following him and thanked him, he said he had more than 40 shovels. So we came to an agreement, I got my own private chest train in exchange for sending him whatever armored scales and crystalline dust I could spare. Worked out great, I now can finish my weapon and we chatted the whole time, so I made a new ingame friend too. It's days like this I remember why I play MMOs instead of only single player RPGs.

I like stories like this. I really do. Thanks for sharing. Makes you wonder all the people we get inches away from getting to know only to miss our chance.

Yup, I'm in. Thanks!

If you find new zones harder and not leveling fast enough you can always try another starter zone 1-15 area, game has 5 of them, you will still get a ton of XP even at a higher level..

Minamu

Maybe... You got some spyware?

I finally collected all of my missing pets.

Special shout-out to the asshole Thief in Eternal Battlegrounds who followed me around, only trying to kill me once I approached the wolf. I ignored him and kept running, so I managed to charm it and click to leave the map before he could down me, so he got nothing out of it but some wasted time. Fuck you, guy! :D

Proven

Seems fitting that my first Ranked PvP match, in a year, with my Green Arrow ranger is up against a team called The Avengers.

I thought queuing solo matched you up with other misfits against misfits? Not match me with misfits against a themed pvp team. I did lol at the Hulk being a guardian and Black Widow being a necro.
It's not guaranteed to be solo vs solo. If you are put up against a pre-made, your other four could be a party. No matter what the case, you'll also should be favored to win, although honestly not by a high enough margin in this game.

Zeroth

I like stories like this. I really do. Thanks for sharing. Makes you wonder all the people we get inches away from getting to know only to miss our chance.

I agree Lev, which is why I go out of my way to meet new people. Made many friends out of casual PvP matches and world exploration, some which are now on GAF having a blast with all of us.

Zeroth

The news drought is really amusing and makes me wonder things will pack up after the release date is out of the bag (aka next week). We will have a definite clock and that will at least ease the lack of news of any kind because we know the expansion will hit sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom