• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

^ Harathi Hinterlands?

I don't dislike any of the maps but I'll avoid the Shiverpeaks if I can because snowy areas all feel empty. Maelstrom is king.
And well done Kos!

My least favorite zone is probably Kessex Hills. I hate how 3/5 races are funneled into it. It's really boring visually and the enemies you fight are uninteresting.

Spyware

My least favorite zone is probably Kessex Hills. I hate how 3/5 races are funneled into it. It's really boring visually and the enemies you fight are uninteresting.
Ugh, yeah. That one "flows" pretty bad. Huge areas with nothing in them, hills in the way all the time and a "nooks and crannies" feel even tho it doesn't really fit the description when looking at the map.
In general I'm really not a fan of Kryta at all.

Dead

well not really...yet
Id like Kessex Hills more if it allowed you to actually travel through the wall into Bird country

Maybe one day lol

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Hmmm what are the chances Windows 10 breaks the AHK mouse script for controller support? It gives problems in Windows 8, right?

Also, any zone with centaur is terrible. I do like Kessex Hills mostly for nostalgic purposes. When the game first came out the Bandit Foreman would wreck globs of players. Like, 20 guys all dead. But I was able to solo it no problem so I would run circles in the area grinding events for XP, always including that one for epeen points.

Ashodin

Acting like Snowden Drifts ain't cool. Clearly you need to spend more time there.

Jotun all over the place, the absolutely batshit Jotun trading Heart (once you figure it out, it becomes easy and FUN), the Kodan and their Claw elections (getting upset by a Largos assassin which is an awesome fight 1v1)

Interesting and fun Icebrood quests, the sickass destroyed Owl shrine in the south east with one of the craziest jumping puzzles. You go there and learn Owl was literally fucking eaten by Jormag. Shit is metal.

edit: I'd like to see more southsun posters for a new update like this:

Tequatl_QuagganPoster_FNL_A3Euro_EN-818x1152_1.png

or this

300px-User_Vahkris_Avast!.jpg

I love Harathi Hinterlands. It's a very dense zone that feels like a warzone. the spacious layout is really nice, and the whole chain event with the modnir high chief is fantastic. There is a good flow with many centaur kills. It's my favorite zerg.

I used to love Kessex Hills but grown bored with it in recent times.

I also really like Orr and Southsun. They deserve to be packed.

Retro

I also feel like Snowden Drifts doesn't do much to establish a memorable identity for itself compared to the other snowy icy zones.

I like Snowden a lot actually (my alts all seem to end up there fairly early on), and I think it's because there's almost a unifying theme if you dig deep enough, but it's not immediately apparent and there are things that distract from it that could have easily made things mesh better.

You've got two Svanir-occupied steads, but there's also one that's been nearly abandoned (Torstvedt Homestead) that's really depressing; only a single Norn and his son remain, the place is in disrepair and they even let their Dolyaks stay inside the stead because it calms them down. The father talks about how everyone has either been killed, left, or "more than I'd like to admit joined the Svanir." There's a big cluster of Jormag's corruption to the north that frequently attacks the other nearby stead too.

There's also a corrupted Haven, which one of the renown hearts deals with by having you light torches to mark a detour around it (and deal with the Jotun the detour passes near). If you look at the world map, it's pretty clear Snowden is part of the trade route between Lion's Arch and Ascalon, and all of the havens and such along the road kind of imply it's importance. The Kodan and Quaggans also have their own fairly substantial villages in the south where they talk about Jormag driving them further south.

Finally, there's the big one that Ash mentioned; the abandoned Owl's Lodge in the Southeast corner. Owl was a minor Norn Spirit who stayed behind (along with Ox, Wolverine and Eagle) to give the Norn more time to escape Jormag, but Owl is the only one confirmed to have been killed (the status of the others are unknown, according to the wiki). Her lodge has been destroyed and the nearby Svanir show up occasionally to desecrate it further.

The whole zone feels like it was meant to demonstrate Jormag's ability to corrupt, and except for a few places (the Centaurs in the northwest, notably, but the Jotun also feel out of place and should have really been Sons of Svanir) it's hanging over everything. The problem is that you have to slow down and talk to NPCs to get more than just a sense of it.

It's funny; I have exactly one Norn character but I find their lore to be the most interesting of the five races.

My favorite as you know is Mount Maelstrom because of the same reasoning you've mentioned about Timberline, it's got sooo much aesthetic variety: dense jungle, swamps (one of which is home to the awesome Golem Mk. II), really varied jumping puzzles (one in technological ruins and the other a natural haven centered around a huge tree), canyons, a gigantic reactor with dungeon at its heart, a huge sea with Krait deeps, trapped Quaggans, a giant kelp bed, and a Largos assassin, and of course the titular volcano. It's so good! The Scarlet invasions going on there were my favorite, especially when there was a spawn wave in the little-seen Stychs structure in the south.

I love Mount Maelstrom too, that's one of the zones I'm always very eager to get to when leveling alts. The northern slope of the volcano is just perfect with the lava flows being reclaimed by the jungle... I've seen pictures in National Geographic of places like that and they absolutely nailed it. I also like how dense the jungle feels (parts of Caledon are similar, but the western part of Maelstrom, especially the northwest, is wonderful) and I hope the jungle areas of HoT end up feeling that way.

Harathi

I dislike it too

It's not amongst my favorites, but I don't think I'd go so far as to say I hate it. I like the constant push-and-pull between the humans and centaurs, sort of like a miniature, less interesting version of Orr. There's enough lore nuggets (Holy Demetra, for example, but Seraph's Landing has a lot of NPC chatter too) to keep me interested, and the areas away from the Centaur stuff (Skritt areas in the North, parts of the Southwest) are alright. It's almost a case of the zone's theme being too specific because all everyone remembers of it is "Oh god, fighting ugly Centaurs in their ugly villages everywhere."

That so few people go there and so much of the map is focused on Centaur stuff means there's a lot of little things people haven't seen. I showed Ike the hidden event chain in Hidden Ourobon recently, there's a cool area with ghost Dolyaks and bandits in the east, and a cleverly deceptive event with bandits in the west. Plus, Ghost Wolves is the best Rush.

I like Kessex simply on the principle that it's been changed by the Living Story in a fairly significant way. It's an alright zone with one of my favorite jumping puzzles (Ruined Observatory) and towns (Garrenhoff), and I like the various settlements around the lake, but otherwise, yes. It has a very poor flow and things are a tad spread out for my tastes.

It's not in a particularly mountainous region of the map and everything suggests it should be more lowlands rather than hilly. It might have been more interesting if the Dominion of Winds wasn't there and it could flow straight down to the sea. /shrug

Retro

People were asking about this in Guild Chat when I brought it up, sorry for the double post;

Hey all,
A heads up: we’re adding an F2 button for the items that you (thieves) steal from enemies. With the way that stolen items exist, it’s not always the best option to use your stolen item instantly, but often you have to dump it in order to gain access to Steal again. As a quality-of-life change, you’ll now steal from an enemy and see the stolen item in the F2 slot, while F1 will show Steal and its current cooldown. If you steal again without using the stolen item, it will be replaced/overwritten by the new one. We weren’t able to show this on the core specialization livestream, but wanted to pass the message on so that it’s not just a bomb drop when the core specialization changes happen (when they’re ready).
(source)

Since they're concerned with keeping you informed about the cooldown of skills like this, perhaps this is what the mysterious warrior F2 is about; showing you the CD of the Burst Skill on your second weapon set.

Ashodin

Seems a reddit user has discovered what looks to be like a challenging linear PVE encounter. Multiple islands connected with portals between each "encounter set".

spiritfox

Woah the thief steal change is pretty big. It's now easier to use steal as a tool to buff, apply condi, and heal with the appropriate traits.

Zeroth

Its worth pointing out thief stolen skills are being balanced too. Dont try to apply this to the current skillset because it might suffer major tweaks

Proven

Too deep? You cannot claim something is deep when you haven't had an extended amount of time playing it. Also SH is actually less deeper than conquest which gives pugs a more interesting match.

3v3 will never be implemented because it will benefit certain classes significantly more than conquest currently does. Secondly, it is just a terrible and interesting mode in general if your goal is esport and a faint waste of resources that could be used somewhere else like making more maps for stronghold.
It's why I tried to clarify and be more specific. It has the same initial depth as conquest; there are a lot of options and counters that you have to consider at the beginning, from rotations, NPC spawning, and the two trebs alone that I'm making the assumption the full undiscovered depth is going to be comparable to Conquest. But you can't disagree that that initial set of options is wide, and the crux of the argument I'm making is that because of all this stuff going on it probably won't dramatically increase the PvP population over the long term. It's because of that depth that people see it as replacing conquest and adding to GW2's eSports potential.

So I'd rather live with a possible 3v3 that increases the PvP population significantly even if it adds nothing to GW2 eSports potential. I put it out there specifically because it wouldn't. Just like the random arenas of GW1 were often just team deathmatch because it was easy to handle from a casual experience, but the competitive GvG had double players and objectives to consider.

And I disagree that 3v3 would unbalance things very much when in Conquest right now it's designed to split people up into 3v3 or less much of the time. And then very few class setups can survive for long in the middle of a big 5v5 setup and the ones that can't would be improved in a 3v3 setup without considerably weakening the rest.

GDC Vault: Building a Better Centaur: AI at a massive scale: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021848/Building-a-Better-Centaur-AI

There is no actual HoT gameplay, and they talk in codespeak, but it seems to drive some (but they made it clear that it is not all) of the AI in HoT. I don't understand too much about it, but it looks cool, and it sounds like they are going to outsource this tech to other games.

My biggest pet peeve with the new wave of MMOs like Black Desert and Blade'n Soul is that they are driven by really bad AI systems. From Spawn to behaviors, it is amazing how much they stick out as a sore thump, when graphics and effects look so amazing. But to be fair, lack of progress with AI has been a genuine problem for many years.
Lucky for me I do understand code speak, lol. I started it yesterday but have only gotten through about 18% of it. The fact that I haven't really studied other AI systems means that I don't have a lot of context of how innovative it is, but the implementation I've seen so far is very intuitive. The first of the four core parts of the presentation is the Infinite Axis System, which just means they can program an infinite number of considerations, or Axis (e.g. how close is the player, what are its health values, how are various allies doing, how close is that wall, is that cover close enough to be worth running to), create a value for each of those Axis using basic mathematical functions to define the spectrum of importance, then find the mathematical product of all those considerations together and use that product to decide which action to do, with that product being able to be changed second by second.

They also explicitly said early on that they needed to design this system with less overhead, which likely means this was one of the ways they gained computing bandwidth to add more conditions (i.e. Poison and Burning) to the intensity stacking pie. The verdict is still out on Bleeds, and I'm wondering how mecessary it would be to have them stack higher when you can spread damaging condition between classes with Bleed, Poison, Burn, Confusion, and Torment. Then again, what happens in situations when you have multiple of the same class stacking the same conditions...

People were asking about this in Guild Chat when I brought it up, sorry for the double post;

Since they're concerned with keeping you informed about the cooldown of skills like this, perhaps this is what the mysterious warrior F2 is about; showing you the CD of the Burst Skill on your second weapon set.
This alone is a game changer for me and how I play Thief.

As a quality-of-life change, you’ll now steal from an enemy and see the stolen item in the F2 slot, while F1 will show Steal and its current cooldown.

7Cy8DIq.jpg

No more throwing gunk just to get the gap closer/Thrill of the Crime proc back and messing up fields, yay

spiritfox

Revenant: Compassion as a Way of Life

Melee Staff and Ventari (more like his tablet) for Revenant.

Welcome, Tyrians! I’m Roy Cronacher, and I’m here today to bring you more juicy revenant information. Previously, I went over the profession’s base functionality and some initial sets of skills. So far we’ve discussed a legend and weapon set that are focused on defense and survivability, as well as a more condition-focused setup. Now we’ll be going over the healing-focused setup for the revenant. The new legend will offer a supportive playstyle and push the boundaries of healing through skillful play. Today I’m happy to introduce the staff and the Ventari legend.

That’s Not a Melee Weapon…

You might associate staves in Guild Wars 2 with a caster standing at range, performing powerful spells. With the revenant, we’d like to change that up, just as we turned the hammer into a ranged weapon for the profession. I mentioned in the previous blog that the hammer wouldn’t be the only weapon used in a new way, and the revenant will be the first profession to use the staff as a melee weapon in Guild Wars 2.

This weapon imbues your attacks with the power of the Mists, using a mix of martial and magical styles to support your allies. It’s very much about damage prevention rather than directly offensive attacks, to fit the legend’s theme. Let’s take a look at two of the skills you’ll have access to.

Rejuvenating Assault

“Cleave foes around you with your staff, creating healing orbs for you and your allies.”

This skill is the third part of the autoattack chain. When you strike foes with this skill, shards of energy will fly off onto the ground around the target. You or your allies can walk over these for a small amount of healing. This encourages strafing around your target to pick up the orbs as you attack, and it creates more interaction between you and your allies. We wanted to promote healing through offense rather than as a passive effect.

Surge of the Mists

“Charge forward, knocking back enemies that cross your path.”

When you use this skill, you’ll charge forward with your staff, repeatedly knocking back foes along your path and either thrusting them out of the way or pushing them along with you. This control skill is a Ventari-approved way to separate enemies from your injured allies.

I Can Outrun a Centaur!

Well… Okay, maybe not. They are pretty fast. Ventari has interesting lore ties that made him a strong candidate for a revenant legend, and since he was known as a peace-loving character, we figured he would be a great basis for the revenant’s healing skill set.

Most healing in Guild Wars 2 takes the form of pulsing spells, the combo system, or area-of-effect heals, but we wanted to push healing a bit more than what you’ve previously seen by creating a legend focused almost entirely on support. However, we needed an interesting way for healing abilities to interact and create a more active playstyle, and that led to the creation of Ventari’s Tablet.

Ventari’s Tablet is at the core of every skill for the Ventari legend. All of the skills either do something around the tablet or modify it, so positioning of the tablet is the key to being effective. This requires the revenant to command the tablet, and to communicate and interact with allies so that they can receive the tablet’s benefits.

So, how does it work? When you first invoke Legendary Centaur Stance, you’ll have only one available skill. This skill will summon the tablet to appear next to your character. After you bring the tablet into the world, your skill bar will fill with the five legend-based skills, all of which manipulate the tablet.

There are two ways to dismiss the tablet when moving around between fights. Using your elite skill, Energy Expulsion, will overload the tablet with energy and cause it to disappear. The tablet will also automatically be dismissed if you move a certain distance from it. In both cases, your skill bar will flip back over to the previous state, and you’ll need to summon the tablet again to use the other skills.

Here are the skills you’ll be able to use after summoning Ventari’s tablet:

Ventari’s Will

“Will the tablet toward the target location. As the tablet moves, it will heal allies it passes through.”

This is a core skill of the legend since the other skills are based around commanding the tablet to do something. Because the tablet heals allies it passes through, the revenant will need to strategically coordinate with other players to get the most out of each movement.

Protective Solace

“Summon a protective barrier around the tablet that destroys enemy projectiles.”

This skill creates a barrier of natural energy around the tablet. While this barrier is active, it will destroy all projectiles that come into contact with it. This is the upkeep skill for the legend, so you can toggle it on or off at the cost of rapidly depleting your energy bar. The tablet can be moved while the barrier is active.

Energy Expulsion

“Force energy to erupt from the tablet, knocking back foes and leaving behind energy fragments that heal allies.”

This is the elite skill, which I briefly touched on before. It will send a surge of energy through the tablet, dismissing it. Foes will be knocked back by the energy forced through the tablet, so you can use it at opportune times to interrupt key skills or even knock enemies away from a downed ally. Energy fragments are left around the area as well, and allies will be able to walk over these fragments to receive healing, similar to the staff skill Rejuvenating Assault.

And the Adventure Continues

We’ll have more weapons and legends to show off in the future, but this will have to appease your appetites for now. All of the revenant skills and abilities I’ve discussed today will be included in a future beta, so keep on the lookout for them. See you all on the battlefield!

Retro

Melee staff throwing out healing orbs on the auto attack sounds great, but I'm not sure about the Ventari stance... having to move around an object which all of your skills revolve around reminds me of getting stuck with the Fuckbucket in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. If it moves slow, and there isn't a trait to speed it up, it might be a little annoying. I'll have to see how it works...

Retro

Melee staff was what I was expecting from druid.

Yeah, it seems odd to give rangers another ranged weapon when all they really have is 1h sword and greatsword (and dagger, I guess ). They do say "revenant will be the first profession to use the staff as a melee weapon in Guild Wars 2" though... first, but maybe not the last?

Seems like a shot in the dark, but here's hoping.

spiritfox

Yeah, it seems odd to give rangers another ranged weapon when all they really have is 1h sword and greatsword (and dagger, I guess ). They do say "revenant will be the first profession to use the staff as a melee weapon in Guild Wars 2" though... first, but maybe not the last?

Seems like a shot in the dark, but here's hoping.

We did see the Druid in the trailer during the announcement shooting something with his staff, so maybe not?

Morokh

A lot of the staves actually in the game will look weird wielded as melee weapons, particularly the ascended ones.

Just hoping the idle animation is the staff one, so I can feel good about making a Charr Revenant :D
But I better get cracking on a name, cause I still haven't found one for my Thief :(

Retro

We did see the Druid in the trailer during the announcement shooting something with his staff, so maybe not?

I dunno what we saw; it looked like he was shooting vines along the ground, but his pet was also charging at the same time too. We'll have to wait and see, I guess, but maybe it's a mix of ranged and melee.

A lot of the staves actually in the game will look weird wielded as melee weapons, particularly the ascended ones.

Just hoping the idle animation is the staff one, so I can feel good about making a Charr Revenant :D
But I better get cracking on a name, cause I still haven't found one for my Thief :(

Actually, that raises an interesting point; Melee Staff is probably going to require a whole new set of animations. If they throw Melee Staff to another class, that gets more mileage out of the new animation, right? Eh, that's a little tinfoil hat-y, but it's something. =p

Hmmm, I was planning to go Female Norn Revenant, but I'm not sure of their staff animations... hmm.

Morokh

Looking back at the picture in the blog-post it looks suspiciously like re-used Hammer animations .... time will tell !

SourBear

Banned
Gonna be honest. I'm not really liking the sounds of the Ventari legend skills. I thought Revenant was going to be all about legend swapping and be dynamic through 'stance dancing'. But this Ventari legend doesn't seem conducive to that kind of play style. It also seems really clunky. First you have to activate the legend. Then you have to activate the skill. And then you are effectively rooted while you use the actual skills. Eh...

I will withhold final judgement until I see it played and maybe play it myself. But this doesn't sound appealing at all.

And then you are effectively rooted while you use the actual skills.

Where does it say/imply you're effectively rooted? The leash range for the tablet disappearing is probably bigger than you think.

Ventari sounds like it'll be mechanically similar to Orianna from League of Legends and she is ridiculously fun. If this feels like Ori I might be more interested in revenant than I was before, but they're two very different games. We'll see.

Proven

I guess they want to emphasize that Rangers are masters at ranges? I kid.

The Ventari Legend for Revenant is essentially one big minion/turret skill set for them.

Gonna be honest. I'm not really liking the sounds of the Ventari legend skills. I thought Revenant was going to be all about legend swapping and be dynamic through 'stance dancing'. But this Ventari legend doesn't seem conducive to that kind of play style. It also seems really clunky. First you have to activate the legend. Then you have to activate the skill. And then you are effectively rooted while you use the actual skills. Eh...

I will withhold final judgement until I see it played and maybe play it myself. But this doesn't sound appealing at all.
Honestly, this is a general problem with the Revenant already. The weapon sets they've shown tie very well with a single Legend each, but you only get to bring one weapon set. So much of the time your weapon will be really good for one Legend and okay for another, or just pretty good for both at best. I need to see more synergy between weapons and different Legends.

Then again, I haven't tried the Revenant at all yet.

Taffer

Sylvari Revenants get to be religious crazies dishing out holy justice. I want the tablet to burn any Nightmare Court that get too close.

Minamu

I'm using a hammer only on my low level Guardian at the moment, what's recommended to switch around to? Haven't looked for any builds yet, I'm only 38.

Quenk

Use whatever you find fun :D

I believe the meta build for dungeons is usually GS and Sw/F. A hammer is useful to switch to for the blast finisher.

I'm not too sure for PvP but the build I've messed around with uses Hammer and Sc/F.

I had no ideas your legend would be talking during your adventures.

Can you use a Legend with any weapon or doyu have to use the staff only with Ventari?

Retro

I worry about the weapons being "preferred" by legends and not having synergy with other ones like Proven was talking about.

Yeah, it's definitely something to watch out for. So far we know only two Staff skills; one is a cleave attack at the end of the auto-attack chain that generates health orbs and the other is a leap/knockback combo. So far both of those sound like they'd mesh with normal gameplay regardless of which Legend you're using.

Besides, we kind of have that now; certain weapons are better suited to specific tasks, even if they are 'off-spec'. It's going to be more dramatic with Revenants since you're limited to one weapon and two pre-determined utility setups, but I'm hoping the skill design is flexible enough that it doesn't feel too compartmentalized.

We'll have to see. There's still two more Stances left (Shiro and Glint, if That_Shaman's data is correct), not to mention more weapon choices (MH Sword, OH Dagger and Shield). Dunno if that includes their Elite Spec options or not either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom