• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

The Civilized Gentlemen, Europe's recently top seeded WTS team, is facing against previous WTS winners Orange Logo right now on http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/. And TCG is taking Orange Logo apart...

Edit: Rereading this post: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/...he-next-world-tournament-series-championship/

I just realized that a two month gap between the ESL tournaments and the WTS in Cologne would technically be enough to have a team practice under a new set of rules, especially if there are some random tournaments in between for practice. At first I thought they'd wait until after the WTS, but having a huge gap in between may actually mean that they planned it that way on purpose to get the Core Specializations patch out there in that time frame.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I would pay gems to be able to buy a controlled instance for a large group like Triple Wurm or Silverwastes instead of desperately trying to ferry a large organized group in. Yeah, you don't *need* to have an instanced group for this open world stuff but sometimes you want to play with your friends and not random people. There are obviously drawbacks to this so I don't ever see it happening but I would be just as happy with instanced content for medium to large sized groups.
I would prefer if guild summons of Teq, etc. worked like this. I would rather do a special edition Teq on a saturday that scaled with the guild, restricted to only the guild, instead of the usual nonsense. The idea of creating a group instance of the Silverwastes attack sounds far more fun than the current mess it is. As epic as it is the first go, the events get monotonous and I feel like I could afk and it would still go smoothly due to the scale.

The need to ferry people in is such a step backwards from the rest of the game's attitude of "we're not like other MMOs, you don't need to wait around to get to the fun!"

I don't think it necessarily gets harder at higher levels.

I would say Fractals are a fair deal harder at 50. It would be more noticeable with different people. Things like All-Berserker parties are certainly something we weren't capable of a few months ago. Now we can do level 50 runs in sub-forty minutes without a single wipe.

Being able to play with people who have been doing runs together for over a year helps take the edge off. We should thank Zeroth and Levyne for being cool dudes.

I would say Fractals are a fair deal harder at 50. It would be more noticeable with different people. Things like All-Berserker parties are certainly something we weren't capable a few months ago. Now we can do level 50 runs in sub-forty minutes without a single wipe.

Being able to play with people who have been doing runs together for over a year helps takes the edge off. We should thank Zeroth and Levyne for being cool dudes.

I am unbelievably lucky to have you guys in that case, because I hardly noticed a difference between 9 and 50, lmao. Getting carried so hard.

Thanks Zeroth and Levyne, and to you too for being a cool dude. :3

Levyne

Banned
One shot Ascalon warriors isn't obvious enough? Lol. I'm still learning how to best protect the party from those monsters, so thanks for bearing with me :p

Thorgal

Speaking about Fractals, I hope that whatever new content gets added to it is not only for lvl 50 +
Otherwise I'tll take forever before I can play those.

Levyne

Banned
I guess I haven't done lower level ascalon on my guard to see if they still hit that hard. Pretty sure they didn't quite instadown the zerker ranger though.

I mean, why collect rings from level ~20 fractals when you can do 50 and still get nothing

Emitan

I was getting one-shotted by everything anyways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zerker life

Thief Life
41-smiling-face-with-sunglasses.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can I join too? My ranger has a longbow and a bear.

ANet at least cares about dungeon runners somewhat. The gw2 twitch account sometimes hosts some dungeon streamers. And I think they provided some prize support to that Trio Tournament a few months back.

My thoughts for future dungeon/fractal content would be more sub-80 dungeon paths and more fractals for experimenting with aetherpath style difficulty/mechanics.
That sounds good to me. I'd be down for an Aetherpath run again sometime soon, it's fun
I take it that work isn't blocking this page for you. That rules out a couple image hosts at least :D
Nope so far so good on this page!

So these changes DoT and Stack changes will not bring anything to healing, regeneration and protection, but maintain the condi cleansing support-meta?

If you can get 75 stacks of bleed on you now, then 25 max stats of regeneration is going to be even more insignificant than it already is. Do you think they will tweak these numbers to let base healing power+ scale more with more effectiveness, or do you think they just want the condi cleansing meta to be the main thing?
It says in the blog post that a condi cleanse like "Shake it off" doesn't care if it's one stack of poison or 400 stacks of poison.

Sounds very interesting:eek:)

Minamu

Amazing news, both articles. My ele doesn't seem to be affected but my gf's necro and my own terrormancer could greatly improve from this ^^ Very exciting.

Ashodin

So, theory-crafting time. I already have a build in mind for Symbol Guardian (2015's newest awesome build™), but I'm thinking about Light Aura Guardian. There's a trait for it, and I'm curious how to make it work. So this post is reserved for that build.

Emitan

You could buy it tho. That makes the argument a bit weaker. And they're changing the trait system soon too.

Yeah I know the trait revamp is coming soon but my point was how the current system can go against one of the core tenants of the game. And I feel like buying traits was just a thing they did for impatient players. I believe their intention with that system was to get people to unlock traits by exploring and unlocking them without just spending money and skill points.

Minamu

Yeah I know the trait revamp is coming soon but my point was how the current system can go against one of the core tenants of the game. And I feel like buying traits was just a thing they did for impatient players. I believe their intention with that system was to get people to unlock traits by exploring and unlocking them without just spending money and skill points.
Sure, the system is pretty broken in that regard you mention. It's not very fun or interesting design to just allow people to buy traits (although useful for those with more than one character). They did have good intentions with that exploration aspect but it's far from perfect :/ Trait merchants pretty much acknowledge that they think so too.

Ashodin

OK so I lied, this post is for the build

It's a GS/Hammer build, with specs in

Zeal 2 5 9
Radiance 2 4 8
Virtues 1 6 9

Theorycrafting at this point is kinda moot because they said they had changed a lot since we last saw them (I'm expecting more interesting traits out of Guardian anyway) so I'm curious.

Basically, it's Symbol build without all the Burn. You lay down the symbols, deal 50% more damage when Aegis is up, and loads of fun like Light Aura pops with Signet pops, so shit gets cray and retaliate goes ham.

Also I heard someone say we need to spend our scrolls because they'll be useless after update?

Nemecyst

I'm liking the changes. Hopes this encourages people to experiment more. On a separate note, is it possible for a friend to join me in parts of the Season 2 Living Story, even if he hasn't purchased those parts?

Quenk

I'm liking the changes. Hopes this encourages people to experiment more. On a separate note, is it possible for a friend to join me in parts of the Season 2 Living Story, even if he hasn't purchased those parts?

Yup. They'll be able to join you but they won't get any of the rewards or achievements.

Retro

How to Megapost, by Retro.
Step 1. Have an "unplug" day where you intentionally relax away from the PC, because it's Wednesday and they'd never just dump info randomly on a Wednesday
Step 2. End up missing random Wednesday info dump.
Step 3. Congratulations, you're now ready to make a Megapost!

I'm putting all my faith into one handed sword going to Ele and it being amazing.

I wish I had your faith, I considered dropping money for full Tempest skins (right now all I have is Staff) but I don't play my Ele enough to justify the cost. I'm sure I'll regret it later when the Tempest spec is some insane wind-themed Blade Dancer evasion tank awesomeness.

Ooh, wallet changes: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/updating-your-wallet/

Will now be stored in wallet...

Well, that'll free up close to a whole bank tab for me. More importantly, the tab has room for expansion (which always seemed like an obvious oversight with the old wallet, but my guess is that they knew HoT was coming and they'd just be changing it again later). All the doodads and rupees and smurf ears we'll collect later can fit nicely inside.

Nothing I don't love about all of this, except that I might swap out my Engineer's gear for full Sinister (I tend to not use pistols though, so... maybe not... probably too early to tell).

Three years and finally conditions are what they should have been at launch. I guess it was a technical limitation . . .

It was;

DS: There’s a cap on condition stacks of 25. In a scenario where you have two thieves attacking a boss and one of them can achieve a stack of 25 by themselves, the other one essentially becomes useless because they’ve got nothing to stack on. Is anything being done to address that to make them less redundant?

Colin: Currently no. Interesting statistic for you: every condition in the game costs server bandwidth. ‘Cause we have to track how often the condition is running, what the duration of that condition is and what the stack is. So the more stacks we allow, the more expensive it gets because we’re tracking every additional stack on there. And so we could say, you can have infinite stacks. Number one: that becomes really unbalanced. But number two: it’s actually extremely expensive for us, on a performance basis. That’s one of those weird, kind of back-end server issues that can help make game designer decisions regardless of what you want to do with it. (source)

They've obviously figured something out, but I would guess it took a lot of work that very few people in the community have the ability to appreciate or even comprehend. I'm sure there's already a few comments on Reddit about them "flipping a switch" or some moronic variation of it, though.

Honestly they will give fuck all about the dungeons. They already don't care and don't design the game for that crowd anymore.

Can't say I blame them, after the lukewarm reception Aetherpath received. People said they wanted a big, challenging dungeon with unique rewards... and nobody runs it because it "takes too long", "it's too hard" and "isn't rewarding enough." They have reams of data on what players are doing, they know where the bear shits in the woods and it's clearly not in the dungeon-y part.

No offense to dungeon runners (I love a good dungeon myself) but... they're not going to add tons of dungeons that nobody runs no matter how much people demand it. Listening to a part of the community that is not representative of the whole is a path that leads to ruin (just ask whoever's left at Carbine Studios).

I'm holding out hope for 10-man instanced content, whatever form that takes, either as personal story achievement style stuff that requires additional people, 10-man fractals, or whatever. Maybe instead of 'personal story' stuff there are 'guild story' instances - that unlock shit for your guild hall.

If they implement anything like this, I think it would likely be guild-based. Guilds are kind of ridiculously under-utilized as an organizing element for a game called Guild Wars (and yes, I know where the name comes from, ya' bums). Apart from buffs and missions (which are wonderful, and I hope we get lots more of them) there aren't many non-social benefits to being in a guild. It'd be great if guilds served as the trigger mechanic to the instanced content people keep asking for, especially since guilds are already exclusionary by nature.

Like Ash says, GW2 is all about open-world cooperation, and I don't think anything is going to change that. Nor would I want it to change, because I think having players segregate themselves from each other in a genre built around social interaction has always been a mistake. Stuff like Tequatl and the Triple Wurm are cool because you've got a ton of people who have to work together (and sometimes that means a lot of failure before everyone figures out how). Those are things no other genre can do and the push to instance everything is one more step towards MMOs becoming more like single player open world games, losing the one thing that makes them unique.

But like Toasty mentions, there's also a frustration factor with things like ferrying, people refusing to cooperate or flat-out griefing. There's assholes everywhere and while I agree that games should be an escape from them, the social nature of the genre means eventually, you're going to bump into more than a few. Fortunately, there are lots of ways to minimize or negate their impact by design; GW2 is leaps and bounds the best at it of all the MMOs I've played but there's still room for improvement (seriously, for those who never played an MMO before GW2, you have no idea how negative the mere presence of another player could be, never mind the purposely disruptive ones).

I don't think instancing stuff like Taco or the Wurms is the answer; guilds being able to trigger them already seems like it's enough control, though I think being able to change which megaserver you're on should be much easier. Guilds triggering a boss should be able to select an option that starts a new copy of the map, but I think having them completely instanced would be a step too far. We all have stories of being newbs and being taken under the wing of an experienced player (and those who don't probably don't play MMOs anymore) and likewise we all have moments where we're the ones passing knowledge on ourselves. It's a great feeling and one you can't get easily if everyone is in their own little private bubble, excluding everyone they don't already know. But guilds already behave that way, and I think the ability to organize into groups is just as important to the health of an MMO as having lots of things open, so nothing is ever going to change that exclusionary nature. The important thing is that people already know and expect guilds to behave that way, so exclusionary content being tied to guilds just makes sense to me.

On that note, all guild-based content should also be built so the entire guild can be involved, but also shouldn't have to be. As a guild leader in both GW2 and other MMOs, having to decide which 10/20 people get to go on a raid was one of the worst things about the job and I hated every second of it. It leads to all sorts of guild politics, cliques, backstabbing and grief. If GW2 implemented limited stuff like that, I would be very surprised, very disappointed and very likely to step down (I can hear the cheers already) though I wouldn't wish that role on anyone. It's a very shitty feeling to be responsible for the enjoyment (and lack thereof) of your crazy videogame pseudo-extended family.

But the point is, everyone can create or join a guild, and groups like TTS and such have already shown that players will organize guilds with the express purpose of gaining access to content. Having instanced content that isn't guild based just seems like it's ignoring the obvious, that organizing that content is going to fall to guilds anyways. Unless it's some kind of Looking-for-Raid thing which is.. horrible (seriously, go ask anyone who played WoW post-Cata about the trainwrecks LFR has caused and how many people actually get a chance to see the 'real' version of a raid vs. the unsatisfying, watered down version).

I mean you might see some "challenging content" as that datamined instance stuff but no idea if and when that stuff is coming.

If I had to make an educated guess, they would probably add something like that in some kind of... large, update-like thing, like a big upgrade that changes the game significantly, or "expands" it, so to speak. This "expansion" could then be sold separately from the game to both increase revenue and generate excitement among existing, lapsed and even potential players.
ykXnGwR.png

So these changes DoT and Stack changes will not bring anything to healing, regeneration and protection, but maintain the condi cleansing support-meta?

I would say based on how the Ventari stance reveal went, we'll probably see some changes to support soon as well. Expansions are a chance to change up everything, even things most people think are set in stone. Players are more forgiving of big, earth-shattering mechanic changes if they're getting lots of awesome stuff with it. Most MMO developers never take advantage of it (the most I've seen is Blizzard doing stuff like stat-squishing or changing their Talent system), but I think it's pretty obvious at this point ANet does things differently so.. I'm hopeful.

I honestly feel like the current system for traits was a bandaid. By most accounts, they've been working on Heart of Thorns since or shortly after the game launched, so I would imagine they've known for a while there are big changes coming. The previous system didn't gel with their New Player Experience (which I guess they figured either couldn't wait for the expansion or needed to be in place before it released) so... we got stuck with the current one. It really does smack of a temporary fix, "Just assign traits to a bunch of disconnected events or let people buy them from a vendor."

Moondrop

Banned
No offense to dungeon runners (I love a good dungeon myself) but... they're not going to add tons of dungeons that nobody runs no matter how much people demand it. Listening to a part of the community that is not representative of the whole is a path that leads to ruin (just ask whoever's left at Carbine Studios).
Counterpoint: people in general and gamers in particular don't actually know what they want, so focus-group-based game design is a failure in principle.

I would say based on how the Ventari stance reveal went, we'll probably see some changes to support soon as well. Expansions are a chance to change up everything, even things most people think are set in stone. Players are more forgiving of big, earth-shattering mechanic changes if they're getting lots of awesome stuff with it. Most MMO developers never take advantage of it (the most I've seen is Blizzard doing stuff like stat-squishing or changing their Talent system), but I think it's pretty obvious at this point ANet does things differently so.. I'm hopeful.
I think increased support and specifically healing abilities is a shrewd deduction. We're going to need it with the stronger condition ticks. But even before these recent revelations, check out this quote from the Hidden Arcana blog post about the Chronomancer:
ArenaNet steered clear of hard roles for professions in the core design of Guild Wars 2, but specializing in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns and beyond will allow players to more fully define their roles in combat based on the type of gameplay they enjoy.
This is direct evidence of intention to make changes on the order of magnitude you describe, and it's reasonable that the new focus on defined roles will trickle down to the basic professions.

Proven

If you can get 75 stacks of bleed on you now, then 25 max stats of regeneration is going to be even more insignificant than it already is. Do you think they will tweak these numbers to let base healing power+ scale more with more effectiveness, or do you think they just want the condi cleansing meta to be the main thing?
It says in the blog post that a condi cleanse like "Shake it off" doesn't care if it's one stack of poison or 400 stacks of poison.

Sounds very interesting:eek:)

Hey, was this you? http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/39buox/could_we_have_regen_stack_intensity/

Well, here's my response:http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/39buox/could_we_have_regen_stack_intensity/cs2dx7s
Me said:
OP, you're not the first to make this suggestion. I even posted on the official forums about it once. I was convinced it wasn't a good idea in the end.

The reason why Regeneration feels weak, but is actually strong, is the fact that it heals you for its base amount (130 at level 80) + 1/8th of your Healing Power per second. Most people that are about it are running 1k Healing Power, meaning a Healing Power specc'd player gives about 125 +130 = 255 health per second.

Now here's the kicker. Compare that healing with the heal per second of various healing skills in the game. They all heal in the range of 200-400 health per second. This means that with 1k Healing Power, you're healing anywhere equal to 1/2 to 1 full extra healing skill on your bar. Oh, and then remember that many sources of Regeneration apply it to your whole party.

That said, with the change to conditions I'd like it if Regen scaled better with Healing Power. However, when I first saw the numbers I realized how tightly controlled it is, and the fact that it stacks in duration and is a boon means they'd like it to be useful no matter who in the party applies, it's not likely to change.

Then again, boon duration is changing, and it might be possible to at least adjust the scaling if there were fewer party-wide applications and more personal applications, especially for the classes that don't get Protection.

I think they do want to leave it to condi-cleansing being the answer to high stacks. We've had necessary condi cleansers in PvP and WvW parties since launch. The inherent weakness of conditions is the fact that they can be mitigated after they've been applied, while direct damage forces you to mitigate it before. This also means the current level of condition hate in PvP won't change unless a number of skills and traits are changed, but that may not be a terrible thing. We're also getting a whole new set of new conditions like Taunt and Slow, plus more application of conditions that didn't see enough use, like Chill. ANet's counter to the current condi cleanse meta is more non-damaging/utility conditions, which isn't a terrible thing when you think about it.

Moondrop

Banned
ANet's counter to the current condi cleanse meta is more non-damaging/utility conditions, which isn't a terrible thing when you think about it.
No it's fine in principle. But as we creep up to 14 different player-applied conditions, we may need more skills that specifically remove damaging conditions (I know there are a few that remove a few) rather than merely relying on a LIFO system.

Retro

Counterpoint: people in general and gamers in particular don't actually know what they want, so focus-group-based game design is a failure in principle.

I'm not sure that's a counterpoint so much as the wider application of good sense that my "vocal minority" example is merely a narrower application of. Either way, I agree 100%, the worst thing you can do is listen to what people are saying / wishing / armchair designing, which is why every time people scoff at ArenaNet mentioning metrics or tracking data I just roll my eyes. The data shows what people are actually doing.

That's not to say players can't contribute to the conversation (and I think the Collaborative Developer Initiative Chris Whiteside was running was a great idea, though I can't imagine how many awful posts I didn't see before they were deleted), but it has to be done with prudence. Not only are gamers awful at knowing how games work at nearly every level, from design to actual production (the "flip a switch" thing is so common I swear it's a meme I'm just not getting), but they also have all sorts of ulterior motives.

Anyways... yeah. Right there with you, miyamoto.jpg and all.

I think increased support and specifically healing abilities is a shrewd deduction. We're going to need it with the stronger condition ticks. But even before these recent revelations, check out this quote from the Hidden Arcana blog post about the Chronomancer:

This is direct evidence of intention to make changes on the order of magnitude you describe, and it's reasonable that the new focus on defined roles will trickle down to the basic professions.

As one of the more prominent Trinity Haters in these parts, I think I would go so far as to say that what we've seen of the Ventari stance could serve as the beginning of a good case for GW2 to have dedicated support roles. That's not to say heal-botting will or should make an appearance, but having specializations that largely eschew damage in favor of almost complete support is something I could be open to now that we've seen how ArenaNet might approach it mechanically.

Proven

No it's fine in principle. But as we creep up to 14 different player-applied conditions, we may need more skills that specifically remove damaging conditions (I know there are a few that remove a few) rather than merely relying on a LIFO system.
This, this is something I would love to have. Group the conditions into different types (damage, movement impairing, etc.), allow some overlap in types (Immobilize can be both movement impairing and CC), and have as many condition cleanses in the game as reasonable explicitly state which type of condition they focus instead of learning about it through trial and error if in the off chance it does (like Warrior Warhorn). Then do the exact same thing for boons and boon rips.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm not sure that's a counterpoint so much as the wider application of good sense that my "vocal minority" example is merely a narrower application of. Either way, I agree 100%, the worst thing you can do is listen to what people are saying / wishing / armchair designing, which is why every time people scoff at ArenaNet mentioning metrics or tracking data I just roll my eyes. The data shows what people are actually doing.
I scoff a bit at the citation of these metrics but likely for a different reason- because merely having data only opens the door to a murkier realm: data interpretation. First there are basic issues like how are these conclusions determined, e.g. total time spent vs. number of activities completed per unit time. But beyond that, you can reach completely different conclusions from the same data set.

Let's assume Anet has perfect data on player activity and that it shows people tag world bosses much more than they dungeon. Is the correct interpretation that people love world boss fights and more of those should be implemented, or that dungeons should be modified to make them more appealing? The answer of course is that the data alone supports either conclusion, and therefore merely citing that Anet has detailed data on player activity has no relation in my mind to the soundness of their design direction (but I'm sure it helps their monetization).

Hey, was this you? http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/39buox/could_we_have_regen_stack_intensity/

Well, here's my response:http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/39buox/could_we_have_regen_stack_intensity/cs2dx7s

I think they do want to leave it to condi-cleansing being the answer to high stacks. We've had necessary condi cleansers in PvP and WvW parties since launch. The inherent weakness of conditions is the fact that they can be mitigated after they've been applied, while direct damage forces you to mitigate it before. This also means the current level of condition hate in PvP won't change unless a number of skills and traits are changed, but that may not be a terrible thing. We're also getting a whole new set of new conditions like Taunt and Slow, plus more application of conditions that didn't see enough use, like Chill. ANet's counter to the current condi cleanse meta is more non-damaging/utility conditions, which isn't a terrible thing when you think about it.

Hey mate,

I didn't make that but that was cool. This is going to be very interesting.

Retro @ Amazing quote. I didn't realize they said that elite specialization would allow us to be "specific hard defined roles".
That sounds brilliant to me as long as many can do things effectively, but differently.

Retro

I scoff a bit at the citation of these metrics but likely for a different reason- because merely having data only opens the door to a murkier realm: data interpretation. First there are basic issues like how are these conclusions determined, e.g. total time spent vs. number of activities completed per unit time. But beyond that, you can reach completely different conclusions from the same data set.

Absolutely, though that's a completely different can of worms you bring up in your post. The point I was making is that data doesn't lie because it has memories of playing a different game a decade ago, and even though they can interpret the data any number of ways it's still hard information, rooted in reality, whereas the alternative is... trying to piece together what the community thinks it wants by reading thousands of screaming voices in what passes for English on the internet. The former sounds a bit tedious to be sure, but the latter sounds like it ends in a padded cell, rolling your poops into little balls and naming them.

I trust somebody to look at the data and discern a pattern that contributes to design decisions more than I trust any part of a given game's community to be honest.

Retro @ Amazing quote. I didn't realize they said that elite specialization would allow us to be "specific hard defined roles".
That sounds brilliant to me as long as many can do things effectively, but differently

Erm, that was Moondrop's quote. My quote was just about how Conditions were capped for technical reasons, not design ones.

You are right though about it being good though, and that's the kind of stuff I want specializations to offer. Once we get two or three of them I think the group dynamics in this game could be on a whole other level than what we have now.

What exciting times we live in.

zulux21

Speaking about Fractals, I hope that whatever new content gets added to it is not only for lvl 50 +
Otherwise I'tll take forever before I can play those.

5 months tops.
even if you don't select extra tomes from the 28th day, you get 10 tomes per cycle meaning you can make a level 50 character without playing in 5 months no problem as long as you log in. If you select the tomes as the reward instead it can easily be done in 3 months as you get 16 per month (16x3 is 48 you can easily get to level 3 before using tomes)

:p

mostly posted this to prove I am still alive to the thread >.>

5 months tops.
even if you don't select extra tomes from the 28th day, you get 10 tomes per cycle meaning you can make a level 50 character without playing in 5 months no problem as long as you log in. If you select the tomes as the reward instead it can easily be done in 3 months as you get 16 per month (16x3 is 48 you can easily get to level 3 before using tomes)

:p

mostly posted this to prove I am still alive to the thread >.>

Thorgal was talking about Fractal Reward Level, not Character Level.

MattyG

Banned
What is the best/most fun class? Obviously it's mostly subjective, but what would you all say? I'm a human ranger right now, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try something else and see if I enjoy it more before I get too deep into the game. It's not that I don't like the ranger, I'm just not sure what the other classes have to offer so I don't have much to compare it to.

Retro

What is the best/most fun class? Obviously it's mostly subjective, but what would you all say? I'm a human ranger right now, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try something else and see if I enjoy it more before I get too deep into the game. It's not that I don't like the ranger, I'm just not sure what the other classes have to offer so I don't have much to compare it to.

Engineer is my personal favorite, but I have an 80 of every profession and depending on my mood I'll play any of them at the drop of a hat except Necromancer (it's not a bad class, it just doesn't 'click' with me the way the others do).

Thief is especially fun once you get into the zone though (I like to play the "see how many things I can kill without taking damage" game), and Warrior is good for just straight up mauling things without putting too much thought into it... but really, all of them are worth a shot.

Try 'em all, each is fairly unique and have multiple playstyles to choose from, so you might be surprised with what clicks with you. Even ones that seem like they'd be similar (Warrior and Guardian as "heavy melee", Ele and Necro as 'casters') are pretty distinct. Don't be afraid to try something that isn't your usual thing, I started off with a Warrior and ended up on an Engineer while my wife started off on a Ranger, then Ele, then fell in love with Mesmer (also a really fun, interesting class concept).

Spyware

What is the best/most fun class? Obviously it's mostly subjective, but what would you all say?
I love my five guardians. I think that's my fav class based on the fact that I just love playing all five different builds. Some other classes have something I prefer over other builds like grenade engie, sword/pistol shatter mesmer and fire magic staff ele. I like most ranger and warrior builds and the rest of what the engie can do is fun too but it's basically a tier below the things mentioned above. Necro and thief is in the "third tier" together with the rest of the mesmers and elementalists. That's the "I like them too but would never choose them over the others" tier ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom