• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quenk

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-a-first-look-at-guild-halls-at-the-e3-pc-gamingshow/

Game Director Colin Johanson will be at E3 on June 16 to take part in PC Gamer’s PC Gaming Show. In this presentation, Colin will reveal how Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ will create new ways for you and your guild to play, battle, socialize, and progress together through the guild hall system.

AuroraPeachy, BogOtter, MMOInks, and DocGotGame will be hosting the show from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC-7) on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel!

Throughout E3 week, we’ll give you an even deeper look at guild halls and their features, leading up to a special livestream on Friday, June 19, where you can see guild halls in the game for the first time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What is the best/most fun class? Obviously it's mostly subjective, but what would you all say? I'm a human ranger right now, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try something else and see if I enjoy it more before I get too deep into the game. It's not that I don't like the ranger, I'm just not sure what the other classes have to offer so I don't have much to compare it to.

oh, it's thief

What is the best/most fun class? Obviously it's mostly subjective, but what would you all say? I'm a human ranger right now, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try something else and see if I enjoy it more before I get too deep into the game. It's not that I don't like the ranger, I'm just not sure what the other classes have to offer so I don't have much to compare it to.

My answer right now is thief, two months ago it would've been elementalist though

I like seeing huge crits and getting one-shotted by everything

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

My answer right now is Elementalist but in two months I might say Thief.

Thief is actually the only class I haven't leveled to 80. I would say Mesmer is the most fun but for as useful as they are, I'm not crazy about how pitiful their sustainable damage is in comparison to heavy hitting classes. I would also say Engineer is the most fun but my fingers start cramping from spamming grenades.

I enjoy elementalist the most right now. It was warrior before ele. I've tried engineer but, it doesn't really fit my play style.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mesmer is my second-favorite by a long shot, but I like Ele waaaaay way more than I expected to. I'm not much for casters usually, but it's just fun as hell and never boring to be able to switch between so many skills and use every element to succeed.

nataku

It should be noted that reddit says the PC Gamer show that ANet will be at is only 2 hours long, and has 20 participants. There won't be much time for them to show things off in detail, but hopefully we get a good blog or two post to go with it.

There is no way that they will announce the release date at E3, if all they are talking about is guild halls.

So many people going to laugh at the fact that an MMO called GUILD Wars 2 is getting Guild Halls as an expansion feature.

Levyne

Banned

I have ~4270 hours on a human ranger. I'm not saying that to claim expertise, more that I'm even surprising myself that it's been that long.

I've loved ranger, hated it, loved it again. Was there when GS auto and Maul did even less damage (bleeds, wtf) than they do now. When Jaguars did twice as much damage than they did now but had even less health. When shortbow and longbow had the same range. Before path of scars could pull and interrupt three enemies. When rapid fire was pretty much a waste (the longbow in general). When Predator's Onslaught wasn't even a thing. When search and rescue was actually at least situationally useful since it could revive dead allies. When Rangers were the class to kick from dungeon groups.

Ranger can be fun class and despite their frequency in open world pve, I find it's rare to see them in dungeon or fractal groups. Doing a Fractal 50 the other day with 2 in the party (neither of them me) was pretty surreal.

The main issue with Ranger (from a pve perspective) I feel is that they are very pigeonholed into a very few specific things. So many of the shout, trap, and spirit skills are very, very useless in most cases. Sic Em and Frost Sprit are the winners there but respectively 1.) Pet Reliant 2.) Can easily die.

Pets are a weird and hard mechanic to play well. Part of it is just learning how to best play the class, but a lot of it feels like you're fighting against the mechanics of the game and class. Pet skills can override things like sic'em, or maybe it's the other way around, I can't actually remember the priority order. Not to mention how annoying it is to buff up a pet with Companions Might or Rampage as One, maybe even slot sic em on top of that. Only for it to die because there was a one-shot attack that you knew to dodge but the pet obviously didn't. Or having blossoms pop in TA because you were stealthed but, gasp, took 50 falling damage therefore the pet has to be out.

Maybe I'm underthinking something mightily, but I feel like pet out/stowed should just be independent of combat or not in combat. When rangers have to use tonics to prevent the pet from unwantedly appearing, you know something is fucked up. Not to mention minor annoyances like wanting to fight tentacles or other mobs at the Jade maw, popping the pet, it being targeted, and then wasting time. And then you just want to let it stay dead, but between waves you get out of combat and the pet revives itself and repeat. A lot of minor annoyances that can kind of build on themselves.

Playing Guard and Engineer lately really kind of hits home the lack of versatility the pve ranger can have. I can easily blind enemies with either. I can stack might and provide fire fields relatively easily on either. Yes the ranger can do both of those...once...if you happen to be slotting both a torch and a warhorn. And if you can get your drake to tail swipe in it, maybe. And then you don't have the longbow and aren't providing vuln from it or the damage/vuln/reflect from offhand axe. It feels like you're constantly compromising something or another. I'm constantly changing traits and utilities on the guard. Even moreso if I'm playing with less than a full party. The ranger I find myself sitting Signet of Wild / Frost Spirit / Quickening Zephyr 90% of the time. The engineer tends to sit on kits most of the time as well, but having the allotted skills with each as well as the toolbelt still feels like you have a high degree of versatility.

When I'm playing a Ranger I just feel like I'm reliant on the party. On the other two classes I feel like part of the party's success is reliant on me. I'll be honest and shallow and say that playing Guard, a very popular dungeon class anyways, makes me feel less like a special snowflake, but I just don't know what else there is to do on ranger.

At least healing spring is a great water field, huh. Just don't anger the elementalists.

Edit: Uuuuuuuh to actually answer your question. Try Guard or Engineer. They each feel completely different from Ranger, for me.

Spyware

It should be noted that reddit says the PC Gamer show that ANet will be at is only 2 hours long, and has 20 participants. There won't be much time for them to show things off in detail, but hopefully we get a good blog or two post to go with it.
Yeah that's why I'm thinking we're getting a quick presentation which ends in a price and the ability to pre-purchase. Going up there with less than that would be foolish actually. Especially since the editions, the title you get for pre-purchasing and a bunch of messages about it all has been datamined already.

Levyne

Banned
To continue my boredom induced rambling, it's weird that I only really started playing Guard and Engi since I really liked how they turned out, armor wise. I really hope HoT has plentiful new armor sets. Dress up is too fun.

I set my ranger's look back to how he used to.
He is no longer a gatorade bottle.
Still not sure I want to play him much. Maybe I should redesign my thief or mesmer. Too bad they are a cat and a rat.

Quenk

Yeah that's why I'm thinking we're getting a quick presentation which ends in a price and the ability to pre-purchase. Going up there with less than that would be foolish actually. Especially since the editions, the title you get for pre-purchasing and a bunch of messages about it all has been datamined already.

That's what I was thinking as well. Just showing guild halls doesn't seem like something "worthy" of an E3 presentation, imo.

Zeroth

Will be interesting to see how guild halls affect small guilds. I worry it will be a mechanic that only big, 400+ member guilds will be able to truly enjoy. Sure, gaf is a 400+ member guild, but only a dozen or so people play during weekdays at night. How would we fare compared to big guilds with 50+ members online all the time?

I've gone from 32% to 87% map completion on my Ranger since Sunday. I'm having fun.

1mjoox.gif

Thorgal

To join in on the character fun .

Warrior has been declared to be easy mode in the game and it is easy to see why :

-It comes with a high health pool .
-It's healing signet gives of a permanent regeneration .
- Warrior hits like a truck and can also take it like a truck .
_ is the only Class in the game that has the ability to res all downed players at once .

It is true that Warrior got hit pretty hard lately with the nerf to strength runes and the Might nerf .

Pre nerfs , The Warrior, was an offensive DPS machine with great team buffing abilities.

This has caused it to drop from the top table of dps .

That being said it is still a very strong class with great PVE skills and is a welcome sight in group content .

The warrior in a group is now more valued for it's team buffing capabilities rather then it's dps which as i said above is middling at best .

it might sound like the warrior is something to avoid but quite the oposite is true .

A DPS focused build will easily tear through any PVE Related content the game can throw at you .

You are a tremendous help in dungeons , either as a pure DPS build if you have ele's stacking might for the group .

A Phalanx strength build Is a lifesaver in Dungeon runs that lacks ele's or is done with pugs .

As my favorite in dungeon runs the warrior Phalanx strength build gives the following :

- a 150+ flat power bonus to all members in the party no catch ( except that it does not stack with other wars running the same trait )

- Ability to generate massive amounts of Vulnerability on a boss while also able to stack might for yourself .

-The ability to share that might you generate with all your party members .

Also if the trait changes stay as they are currently are then it is very likely warrior will regain it's former glory days pre nerf .

Xanathus

These profession discussions are great because I've recently powerleveled my mesmer to 80 with tomes and geared it out and want to figure out which other profession to spend the rest of my tomes on before the skillpoint changes because you will lose out on the skill points gained from leveling after that. I've got thief, warrior and mesmer so my choices next are engineer, guardian and ele.

Levyne

Banned
_ is the only Class in the game that has the ability to res all downed players at once .

There's the ranger elite spirit and the elementalist glyph. I know what you mean, though.

I feel like I am missing one other one.

Edit: Necro signet and Engi elixir. But yeah. None of them as handy.

Zeroth

Sincerely, just play all classes til you find one you like (I recommend getting them to lv 80 and then trying from there because some classes only "click" when you have access to trait lines). I started playing as an elementalist, moved to Guardian which I played as my main for roughly 8 months and now I'm back to elementalist. In all cases I learned new things and I often find myself improving not only as the class I play as but as a player too. So, I can't recommend experimentation enough.

Also, a tip: don't give too much thought to what class is "meta" or more wished in party. Just pick what flows with you because a player who enjoys and knows their class will always, always be superior to someone playing a class because they were told to.

Ashodin

It's three hours.

Thorgal

Sincerely, just play all classes til you find one you like (I recommend getting them to lv 80 and then trying from there because some classes only "click" when you have access to trait lines). I started playing as an elementalist, moved to Guardian which I played as my main for roughly 8 months and now I'm back to elementalist. In all cases I learned new things and I often find myself improving not only as the class I play as but as a player too. So, I can't recommend experimentation enough.

Also, a tip: don't give too much thought to what class is "meta" or more wished in party. Just pick what flows with you because a player who enjoys and knows their class will always, always be superior to someone playing a class because they were told to.
I would like to add to this :

Try a class with more then just one character race .

Some people play the class for a while , then delete it because they think they don't like the class while it may be that it is the character that you don't like instead of the class.

For example ,i used to roll a Charr warrior and while it was fun , something just kept anoying me about it and eventually i stopped playing war completely and moved to Ele .

Now i have tried it again with a female human warrior and sudenly i loved playing war , so much so that it is now my main ,and i realised it was not the class i was annoyed with but it was playing the class with a Charr.

Emitan

I've been a thief main for a year. I love the stealth, the support, the huge crit numbers, the very high skill ceiling. But lately I've been going back to my engineer and really, really loving it. It's such a versatile class because you can have so many skills at once that I feel like I have an answer to every situation. But that means it's pretty complex and it can be hard for my fingers to remember which buttons to hit.

Yep. Battle Standard is 2 seconds and the Elementalist Glyph and Necro Signet are 3 to 3.25 seconds. The Engi Elixir pulses healing on downed players, so it doesn't revive instantly either.

Levyne

Banned
Yep. Battle Standard is 2 seconds and the Elementalist and Necro Signets are 3 to 3.25 seconds. The Engi Elixir pulses healing on downed players, so it doesn't revive instantly either.

Really annoying when pvp engis use it to revive themselves though, grrrrrr

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Really annoying when pvp engis use it to revive themselves though, grrrrrr

Rangers are far more annoying.

Get downed -> use wolf's fear to disrupt stomp, swap to ice wolf and watch as its first attack knocks down stomper, have ice wolf revive you, use downed 2 to disrupt stomp, used downed 4 to boost your revival and proceed to get back up.

Of course stability ruins all the fun.

:O Rangers have their "Search and Rescue" shout as well. I wonder if you can use that as a self-revive as well.

I think Search and Rescue only works if someone is already down when it is used. As in, the pet won't wait around to find someone. I don't know for sure though.

Levyne

Banned
Search and Rescue is likely the most useless skill in the game.

"Guard" would be a contender if it didn't have such a short cooldown that you could use to spam all those good Ranger related shout traits like....regen....grandmaster trait.

First and second most useless

Moondrop

Banned
Ranger could technically do it with the Spirit, hah. Hit it so it is casting just before you go down.

Not that it would really ever be worth the effort to try timing it.
It's absolutely worth the effort and completely viable. When I was in my peak spirit ranger form, I would land a self-res at least every other match.

There is no way that they will announce the release date at E3, if all they are talking about is guild halls.

So many people going to laugh at the fact that an MMO called GUILD Wars 2 is getting Guild Halls as an expansion feature.

Since when did it matter what others think? Guild wars 2 mere existence causes people to laugh since it isn't hardcore enough for them or full of 'em casuals. Because apparently, if your mmo doesn't require a gear grind it isn't pro.

Personally, I think adding guild hall is a waste of resources, but fortunately I am not the one who decides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom