• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I won a HoT Lanyard today. Yay. The ladies love gamer swag, right?

Personally, I think adding guild hall is a waste of resources, but fortunately I am not the one who decides.

As a fan of housing, even I have to admit that they're usually just something to goof around with and ignore the majority of the time. Vanguard had a cool housing system and despite the effort that went into crafting both my house and our guild's hall, it was never more than "neat, I moved a chair over there" (though in one memorable instance, Hythloday and I filled the Guild Leaders' office with fish).

GW2's economy and services are too detached for the usual housing setup to have any real impact. For example, if housing determined how much storage space you had based on how many treasure chests you squeezed into it, or having a mailbox at your home be a matter of convenience. They'd have to backpedal on a lot of stuff (and strip out a lot of the convenience) to make housing mechanically worth the trouble, so that's just not going to happen.

But they could always surprise us. I might be reading too much into it, but the comment about "new ways for you and your guild to play, battle, socialize, and progress together through the guild hall system" makes me think Guild Halls are going to have a lot more going on than just "a place to decorate and maybe gather before missions." The "battle" part, specifically, could indicate all sorts of things, from PvP Practice arenas to something like GvG. I don't think we'd have gotten this far since the announcement without hearing about something like that, but who knows?

I'm excited to find out, and I'm pretty sure we'll get a release date at the very least which is worth tuning in for.

Emitan

"Fixed a bug that caused an increase in map load times for some players."

Every time I get a new build notice my heart skips a beat.

Dead

well not really...yet
Finally settled on a Charr I like

vW5bdPf.jpg

Figured if I stick with him and get him far enough, I will at some point evolve him to Super Saiyan status.

Mendax

If I join gafguild but stay on an EU server, will I still be able to do everything together with everyone or are there limits? (dungeons, pvp, guild events)

I'm looking to get back into this and am kinda lonely in it but don't want to spend any money on it right now; so no server transfers for me..

spiritfox

If I join gafguild but stay on an EU server, will I still be able to do everything together with everyone or are there limits? (dungeons, pvp, guild events)

I'm looking to get back into this and am kinda lonely in it but don't want to spend any money on it right now; so no server transfers for me..

unfortunately no, EU players cannot play with US players. However, we have a transfer fund that pays for the transfer fee if you wish to come over. Just tell us if you wish to and we'll see if we can scrounge up the money for it.

Mendax

unfortunately no, EU players cannot play with US players. However, we have a transfer fund that pays for the transfer fee if you wish to come over. Just tell us if you wish to and we'll see if we can scrounge up the money for it.

thanks but those prices are really steep and I'm not sure how much I'll be playing so that wouldn't be worth it I guess. Maybe when we have full details about the expansion...

Minamu

The guild itself pay for transfers through donations so it's not like you have to put any of your own gold into it (although appreciated).

Zeroth

thanks but those prices are really steep and I'm not sure how much I'll be playing so that wouldn't be worth it I guess. Maybe when we have full details about the expansion...

What are the level of your characters? Would you mind starting over? If you have no characters in your account, you can pick a new server when you create a new character. Plus you'll still keep all your account currencies and stuff in your bank.

Spyware

Have you achieved anything special on the characters you already have? If you delete every character you can tranfer for free. You can put everything but soulbound items in your account bank and it will stay there during the transfer.

Mendax

The guild itself pay for transfers through donations so it's not like you have to put any of your own gold into it (although appreciated).

Oh that's right you can get gems with gold totally forgot about that

What are the level of your characters? Would you mind starting over? If you have no characters in your account, you can pick a new server when you create a new character. Plus you'll still keep all your account currencies and stuff in your bank.

Have you achieved anything special on the characters you already have? If you delete every character you can tranfer for free. You can put everything but soulbound items in your account bank and it will stay there during the transfer.

I got loads of achievement points and titles (also from those one-time events), rare skins, crafting levels etc. so starting over isn't really an option. I do have an empty spare account though so that might be an option too. Can I transfer stuff between them if one account is on US and one on EU or is there no contact between servers at all?

I got loads of achievement points and titles (also from those one-time events), rare skins, crafting levels etc. so starting over isn't really an option. I do have an empty spare account though so that might be an option too. Can I transfer stuff between them if one account is on US and one on EU or is there no contact between servers at all?

You only need to delete your characters. Most of the things you listed are tied to the account, not any character. The only thing you listed that would be lost is crafting levels. You get to keep your material collections, achievements, skins, dyes, everything in your bank, etc

You can mail non-account bound things between accounts, even across servers, but there's a limit of 500g value per week or something

Spyware

Achievements/points, titles, skins and such are still saved. It's the levels (both normal and crafting) on the characters and soulbound gear you would lose and only that. It's not worth doing if you have 400-500 crafting or a long time level 80 you love, but if you don't have that it's not like you're gonna lose much by just making a new character :)

You can transfer stuff between EU and NA, but remember that most fun stuff is account bound.

Mendax

using empty account for now "Gaffer Mendax" or "Gindor.2649"
need to think about what i'll do with my main because I have multiple lv80s with maxed crafting levels yeah

Zeroth

using empty account for now "Gaffer Mendax" or "Gindor.2649"
need to think about what i'll do with my main because I have multiple lv80s with maxed crafting levels yeah

We can certainly transfer your main account with a transfer fund. We'll see how much money we will raise this weekend.

Levyne

Banned
This monday is confusing. Have the PC gamer thing and then ANET is streaming stuff on top of that, but separate from it.

Balance patches are exciting but in a way, also terrifying.

Quenk

So I guess the Monday thing will be the intro to the balance patch that'll hopefully go live on the Tuesday. And then HoT stuff (guild halls and maybe something else) will be at the Tuesday PC Gamer show.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I definitely take for granted how smooth the Guild Wars servers are. Between launch to now, I've had only a handful of issues where the servers were down, or characters were reset or I couldn't play when I wanted to. And those were either due to whatever nonsense happened for a few days a month ago and back in August when hackers targeted the game. Outside of that, if I want to play I can play.

I say this because getting a working game of Splatoon where I can connect to a server, find opponents and get into the game without disconnecting is a good day (note, it seems to work fine ironically at peek hours). I started up Elder Scrolls Online last night, sat in queue for 20 mins and then this morning couldn't get in for 30min due to some Xbox Live issue preventing me from logging in. I'm too spoiled being able to just hit play on GW2, maybe download a patch for a min, and then just get in and play.

Levyne

Banned
I definitely take for granted how smooth the Guild Wars servers are. Between launch to now, I've had only a handful of issues where the servers were down, or characters were reset or I couldn't play when I wanted to. And those were either due to whatever nonsense happened for a few days a month ago and back in August when hackers targeted the game. Outside of that, if I want to play I can play.

I say this because getting a working game of Splatoon where I can connect to a server, find opponents and get into the game without disconnecting is a good day (note, it seems to work fine ironically at peek hours). I started up Elder Scrolls Online last night, sat in queue for 20 mins and then this morning couldn't get in for 30min due to some Xbox Live issue preventing me from logging in. I'm too spoiled being able to just hit play on GW2, maybe download a patch for a min, and then just get in and play.

And only better now with the streaming client updating. Went to update on my work PC and I could pretty much play near immediately. Super nice.

Levyne

Banned
The ESRB blurb doesn't mention armor skimp at all in their discussion of the game's rating. Ike's in the clear.

Rating Summary: This is a massively multiplayer online (MMO) role-playing game in which players perform quests while exploring the fantastical world of Tyria. Players interact with numerous creatures and characters, perform various tasks, and engage in melee-style combat. Players use swords, firearms, explosives, and magic attacks to battle soldiers and enemy creatures (e.g., minotaurs, giant insects, golems). Skirmishes depict enemies getting shot by arrows, slashed by swords, lit on fire, or struck down by lightning bolts; some underwater attacks result in blood-cloud effects, and stylized blood effects are sometimes depicted in cutscenes. Some sequence depict alcohol use: players can earn achievements by consuming alcoholic drinks—the screen appears blurry to denote drunkenness; in a “drinking competition” mini-game, characters drink ale from mugs—the sequence ends when a challenger's health reaches zero. The words “a*s” and “bastard” can be heard in the dialogue.

I love how matter-of-fact these things are, I find them irrationally enjoyable to read.

Minamu

The devs usually write those themselves so they're not in the clear automatically. Or rather, they fill out a form like "is your game violent? Yes/No" and the rating comes from how you respond. Same thing when uploading a game to Google Play I found.

I'm also on the fence about Guild Halls. They never meant anything to me (in any game) except for Star Wars Galaxies, but that game was build around player cities. It's an unfair comparison.

What eludes me is this; If we have learned anything from ArenaNets behavior it is that they are trying to be about gameplay content outside of the gem store, and so it feels weird, if they are adding this massive gameplay system to the game if it won't have any new gameplay with it.

The fact is; I am numb. I don't have any realistic idea about what would be really cool.

Taffer

So if I want to play as a Reaper come exp time, I should start leveling a Necro now right?

We don't know how far away HoT is but I'd say you have easily enough time to make one & level it organically. If you've got spare resources to powerlevel to L80 then you can hold off until HoT lands if you don't fancy levelling another character ATM.

Zeroth

Today I decided to use the inscriptions I had in my bank to level up Huntsman (it's my last profession that needs leveling). I made roughly 9 Longbows, and usually I sell em for some profit. However, I decided to gamble my luck, and much to my surprise...

Finally karma pays back

Wanderer5

Think I might actually join you guys for once heh. I tend to help lead NERF missions Sunday evenings, but don't think I make it tomorrow, so think I get the goods done today.

Retro

Excellent missions, everyone!
We got going a tad early with the Supply challenge since another guild had already started it, but Angvar's Trove, Anders bounty and Chicken Rush went super-smooth and super-quick.

Makeup Missions are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern.

Monday is the Skills and Balance Change live stream at 3pm Eastern on the Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel.

Tuesday is E3! ArenaNet will be presenting at the PCGamer show, which begins at 9:30 PM Eastern time, also on the official twitch channel. Colin Johanson will be on hand to discuss Guild Halls (and hopefully more).

We'll also be getting lots of news on Guild Halls throughout the week, leading to a special livestream on Friday. Watch this space for the exact time.

Busy week ahead!

Kanik looks like Moby got a gig as a roleplaying Persian carpet salesman at a french renaissance fair.

Kanik, this is Fashion Wars 2. Not How-can-I-Look-So-Terrible-That-Others-GPUs-Will-Render-Artifacts-Just-By-Watching-The-Abomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom