• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfox

69e88Bandit-Boss-Flame.jpg
Why can't engies get that skin =(

In the first Raid wing, players will face three awesome, diverse, and very challenging bosses as well as an epic event that will leave players literally running for their lives.

3 bosses in first wing.

Jira

I really hope they show this in the next POI in game.

It is really hard to see what they mean from that super short trailer of the Licking Dragon.

Don't think they're going to show any more of raids until it's out. I don't think they want to spoil any of it until people can get their hands on it.

I'm hoping raids give some of that GW1 Elite Mission fun. Really challenging areas where the entire area is difficult, rather than Trash mobs -> bosses -> trash mobs -> long corridor -> bosses rinse/repeat. I think GW2's dungeons suffer from this to some extent so I'm a bit skeptical.

Jira

I'm hoping raids give some of that GW1 Elite Mission fun. Really challenging areas where the entire area is difficult, rather than Trash mobs -> bosses -> trash mobs -> long corridor -> bosses rinse/repeat. I think GW2's dungeons suffer from this to some extent so I'm a bit skeptical.

Well they said they're going to use the power of Dynamic Events within raids so I don't really think you're going to see that or at least too much of it.

I want a PvP-like Rune system if we are getting Legendary armor. Different stats are damn near useless if you can't equip the right Runes for the build.

Well they said they're going to use the power of Dynamic Events within raids so I don't really think you're going to see that or at least too much of it.

I hope you're right, but Dynamic Events don't always live up to their name.

Catching up (again) on HoT stuff and the specializations seem pretty cool. Daredevil looks fun though I'm not sure how strong it will end up being. Any of the specializations stick out to you guys as being particularly compelling?

Proven

So .... hum .. yeah .....

this just happened ....

seCz14X.jpg
gratz. The only thing permanent I would want is bank access though. I'd actually buy those infinite gathering tools in that case...

considering BG is currently ticking 585 in tier 2 while YB is at 85 per tick in T1 it seems they might have bitten off more then they could chew.

also ,eventough they don't have the coverage , FA and SOS is giving us some great fights.
Ouch. Maybe they'll make a miraculous comeback during the week? Probably not.

Maybe all the haters are right and we just have bad taste.
You know what, this is probably it.

Rfwrik4.png

Royal Guard Outfit.
I actually like it, although it doesn't feel very Tyria-y.

I want a PvP-like Rune system if we are getting Legendary armor. Different stats are damn near useless if you can't equip the right Runes for the build.
Good point...
Next expansion, we will get Legendary Rune and Legendary Sigil Masteries.

lol. They may do something where you can increase the number of runes/sigils you can equip to any one piece of equipment, max of three (two handers get three for each slot). But then you can only have one rune or sigil active at any one time. Gives people more to grind for as well!

Oh yeah, with BWE3 confirmed (probably in October) when do you guys think the next WvW stress test will be? Also, the Flamethrower at the end of the trailer seems to tease that Forge is going to be next and Druid last.

Goldrush

I'm just interested to see how the Living Story will fit into the expansion and f2p. It's a pretty genius system they cobbled together. You pretty much have to stay current or you'll be out of sync with the world. Wait for a discount and you'll be spending the saving in the gem store buying the stories (I know you could run with friends).

Retro

I hope you're right, but Dynamic Events don't always live up to their name.

The ones in Drytop or the Silverwastes are pretty top notch, they've definitely improved them since launch.

Catching up (again) on HoT stuff and the specializations seem pretty cool. Daredevil looks fun though I'm not sure how strong it will end up being. Any of the specializations stick out to you guys as being particularly compelling?

The necromancer elite ("Reaper") is my favorite, and I'm not a huge necro fan at all. So far all of them have been good, though a few seem underwhelming at first blush (though they've been making pretty substantial changes, so we'll see next week during the second BWE).

I'm just interested to see how the Living Story will fit into the expansion and f2p. It's a pretty genius system they cobbled together. You pretty much have to stay current or you'll be out of sync with the world. Wait for a discount and you'll be spending the saving in the gem store buying the stories (I know you could run with friends).

They pretty much all but confirmed Living Story season 3 during the stream, but no details beyond that. Raids are supposedly going to be activated "a few weeks" after HoT releases, but I don't know if that's part of the Living Story or what.

As far as staying current, I don't think asking people to log in for 2 seconds during each episode to get the free unlock is particularly harsh
JUWnj.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean, I'm not remotely against this psuedo-F2P stuff at all but it really does seem awfully unnecessary? Why not just eschew the bizarre palette of restrictions for free accounts and fix the base game price at $10, but still include it with HoT if someone wants to jump all in?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hopefully there will be an option to toggle receiving whispers from F2P accounts.

Second, free accounts have some chat restrictions and economy restrictions so that they can’t be used to disrupt the game for other players. Free accounts can use local chat and whispers, but not map chat. With whispers, they can both start new conversations and reply to existing conversations but are limited to starting new conversations no more than once every 30 seconds. Free accounts can buy and sell common goods on the trading post. They can’t mail gold or items directly to other players, trade gold for gems, or access guild vaults.
It's something I guess. My official status on this turn of events is still "confused"

Retro

I mean, I'm not remotely against this psuedo-F2P stuff at all but it really does seem awfully unnecessary? Why not just eschew the bizarre palette of restrictions for free accounts and fix the base game price at $10, but still include it with HoT if someone wants to jump all in?

I've seen people turn up their noses at trying games for $2.99 on steam sales. Nothing says "Free" like "Free".

The ones in Drytop or the Silverwastes are pretty top notch, they've definitely improved them since launch.

The necromancer elite ("Reaper") is my favorite, and I'm not a huge necro fan at all. So far all of them have been good, though a few seem underwhelming at first blush (though they've been making pretty substantial changes, so we'll see next week during the second BWE).

Yeah, fair point. Silverwastes is a good time.

I'll check Reaper out. I'm thinking the Guardian one seems pretty interesting. I enjoyed playing bow back when I used to main my warrior, so I wouldn't mind going back to a tanky bow user.
Oh, and for buying HoT, it's really 50$ no matter what? No discount if you own the base game?

Proven

You know, it was probably unintentional, but I like the nice touch of the necromancer life force globes coming out of the players that didn't make it out of the blast. Let's you know for sure that, "this will kill you, get out now."

Raids are probably turned on a few weeks later in part for Halloween. After Halloween ends, we have Raids to take up everyone's attention until Wintersday, and after Wintersday we may immediately run into Living Story S3. Of course, this is assuming maximum content speed; I'm already starting to assume we won't get Halloween this year.

Yeah, fair point. Silverwastes is a good time.

I'll check Reaper out. I'm thinking the Guardian one seems pretty interesting. I enjoyed playing bow back when I used to main my warrior, so I wouldn't mind going back to a tanky bow user.
Oh, and for buying HoT, it's really 50$ no matter what? No discount if you own the base game?

No discount. Instead they give freebies. I can understand if you're upset with it, but the rest of us have sadly made our peace with it. A number of us have been playing since launch 3 years ago.

No discount. Instead they give freebies. I can understand if you're upset with it, but the rest of us have sadly made our peace with it. A number of us have been playing since launch 3 years ago.
Yeah, I've been playing on and off since the first closed beta
Ah okay. I remember the uproar initially but thought I'd heard it was getting changed. Guess that's a passable compromise, though I wish it was a bit cheaper.

Retro

Looks like people are already receiving the new Outfit in the mail, I just gone mine. Sweeeet.

Hawkian and I also decided to do a quick culling since we're at 470 members again. It's not going to be too severe but we've got people at the 6 month inactive mark so... yeah.
As always, if you were culled, post and you'll be invited right back. I don't think anyone reading this thread though has been that inactive.
Edit: Only culled down to 430 players, that's enough breathing room. Didn't even get into the 3 month inactive people so everyone should generally be safe.

Ah okay. I remember the uproar initially but thought I'd heard it was getting changed.

Reddit and the official forums got cranky over a weekend =p

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, there are dozens and dozens of players in Shaemoor greeting new players lol. There was like 3 Anet GMs there too

Ashodin

Lots of things to think about for the expansion. Raid groups, raid nights, guild hall duties, etc. Lots more for guilds to do.

usea

I'm not much of a fan of the living story model. It feels like a carrot that forces you to stay current on the game or miss out on things. Like, people who aren't playing the game don't even know they have to log in to get the free LS. I sure didn't when I missed it.

It's similar to introducing better tiers of gear all the time. You might not have to do anything but log in, but it's still something that makes you feel like you have to keep up with the game or fall behind.

It feels like a moneygrab that goes against the spirit of the game.

It's a nitpick, I just think they could do better than continue with the LS model.

Ashodin

Except you don't and can log in to get the episode once and do it later. Same rewards and everything.

Edit: see you said that, but is really logging in once every two weeks that tedious?

Except you don't and can log in to get the episode once and do it later. Same rewards and everything.

Edit: see you said that, but is really logging in once every two weeks that tedious?

I think he's right, though, that there's a communication issue with the more casual players. I'm not really sure what can be done to alert people to a need to log in. Perhaps a companion app for smart phones or something, idk.

Jira

I'm not much of a fan of the living story model. It feels like a carrot that forces you to stay current on the game or miss out on things. Like, people who aren't playing the game don't even know they have to log in to get the free LS. I sure didn't when I missed it.

It's similar to introducing better tiers of gear all the time. You might not have to do anything but log in, but it's still something that makes you feel like you have to keep up with the game or fall behind.

It feels like a moneygrab that goes against the spirit of the game.

It's a nitpick, I just think they could do better than continue with the LS model.

What does 'do better' entail though? The LS model is unprecedented in the genre, no one else is offering new content every 2 weeks and telling a story where the world changes around you. Asking you to login once in those 2 weeks to unlock it for free is a small price to pay for getting more stuff to do so frequently. You either login and get it for free, pay per episode based on if you want the rewards or not, play it for free with someone else if you just want to see the story, or pay $20 to get an entire season. That's a lot more options than other companies give you which is typically pay the sub fee or you don't even get to login.

usea

If you're not playing the game, you probably don't even have it installed. Not to mention, how would you even know to log in and get the LS? You're not playing the game. You don't pay attention to news. It's not in your mind, for a long time.

Honestly I don't find logging in tedious. I don't find doing raids for new gear in older mmos tedious, either. It's fun. But I think they could find a model that's less obviously about getting people to spend money on gems.

I certainly felt betrayed a bit that I came back to the game and found that I would have to spend a lot of real money to get all the content updates they had been doing. I thought the game wasn't about that, and I hadn't heard about any expansions or anything.

edit: not even mentioning the LS 1 stuff which is gone forever. Not a fan.

Morokh

If you're not playing the game, you probably don't even have it installed. Not to mention, how would you even know to log in and get the LS? You're not playing the game. You don't pay attention to news. It's not in your mind, for a long time.

Honestly I don't find logging in tedious. I don't find doing raids for new gear in older mmos tedious, either. It's fun. But I think they could find a model that's less obviously about getting people to spend money on gems.

I certainly felt betrayed a bit that I came back to the game and found that I would have to spend a lot of real money to get all the content updates they had been doing. I thought the game wasn't about that, and I hadn't heard about any expansions or anything.

Well ... before, for season 1 if you were not there when it happened you couldn't play it anymore period.

Now you have a way to still play it.

Not to mention that not everything included in Living story updates is locked, only the story is, not the new areas and most of the content related to them.

And the kicker, you can still play the story for free with someone that has it unlocked, but you don't get the achievements or rewards.

Jira

edit: not even mentioning the LS 1 stuff which is gone forever. Not a fan.

This has been an evolving model in which ANet is doing things no one else has, period. It has taken time to get things right and with Season 2, they finally nailed down a model that works and is fair. You have to think that while they like people coming back to the game, they have to support those who have played and kept playing. They have to sustain a userbase and they do that by rewarding those who love the game and are excited for every update as it came out. Who knows what S3 will bring as far as the model is concerned?

nataku

Bag-Slot Value Pack incoming.

Some day.

EDIT: Hmm.

Locked. Click here to unlock additional bag slots using gems. Upgrade to Heart of Thorns to unlock two additional bag slots per character.

Someone in the reddit comments seems to think this will be for free players only, though. I was hoping it'd be some sort of upcoming sale item.

Goldrush

As far as staying current, I don't think asking people to log in for 2 seconds during each episode to get the free unlock is particularly harsh
JUWnj.gif

I mean if the living story will be unlockable without HoT regardless of the player's ability to play it. I guess I could have waited for confirmation, but I guessing no. Ended up buying it because I figured that if I wait for a discount on HoT, I'll end up spending the cash saved to unlock the stories I missed.

Jira

I mean if the living story will be unlockable without HoT regardless of the player's ability to play it. I guess I could have waited for confirmation, but I guessing no. Ended up buying it because I figured that if I wait for a discount on HoT, I'll end up spending the cash saved to unlock the stories I missed.

It's IMO unlikely that S3 will be a part of the core world. It's 99% guaranteed it will take place in and require HoT. It's possible that some parts may take place outside of the jungle, but you can bet the majority will take place inside which requires people to be able to zone into those areas.

xeris

With the new outfit Ivogar looks like something from Flash Gordon. Kinda hard to see the wings in this pic but it gives the idea.

5m28Ywj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom