• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reese-015

Ok, I was just trying to get to vistas in Lion's Arch and unexpectedly found my way into this hidden area called the Sharkmaw Caverns. Suddenly a whole thing unfolds there with the spirit of Captain Weyandt talking to me etc without there being anything at all marked on the map there (no events or anything). Awesome area, neat little story and such a fun interaction and challenge in there. Damn that was cool! Man I love this game.

Hedge

I really am hoping there won't be stuff like "Clear Arah path 3" or "Do the krait fractal" or whatever as requirements for the precursors. I hope the collections are about exploration more than anything, because if future pre-cursors will only be gotten from this venue, I foresee a lot of solo players like me dragging down dungeon runners because I've got to "check off a mark" on my precursor list.

I really am hoping there won't be stuff like "Clear Arah path 3" or "Do the krait fractal" or whatever as requirements for the precursors. I hope the collections are about exploration more than anything, because if future pre-cursors will only be gotten from this venue, I foresee a lot of solo players like me dragging down dungeon runners because I've got to "check off a mark" on my precursor list.

Get ready to solo Lupi without weapons for a chance of him dropping an item you need for the collection.

Retro

Ok, I was just trying to get to vistas in Lion's Arch and unexpectedly found my way into this hidden area called the Sharkmaw Caverns. Suddenly a whole thing unfolds there with the spirit of Captain Weyandt talking to me etc without there being anything at all marked on the map there (no events or anything). Awesome area, neat little story and such a fun interaction and challenge in there. Damn that was cool! Man I love this game.

The karma vendor at the end also sells a completely unique set of weapons too.

And there are a total of 3 jumping puzzles in LA.

The karma-converter from the champion-bag-exotic collection worth it? I need about 200 gold worth of skins. While I have no pressing need for the gold or karma, that could buy another alt ascended armor.
I would save the karma if I were you. I find karma more difficult to accumulate than gold these days. Even super-efficient Overgrowth karma-training in EOTM wanted me to gouge my eyes out to get the last 400,000 or so karma I needed to make my last weapon.

If anyone has ever wondered why people bother with downsampling, hit F11 to fullscreen one of these in your browser.
What framerates/frametimes are you getting downsampling from 4K? And wouldn't that make your UI illegible?

Minamu

I would save the karma if I were you. I find karma more difficult to accumulate than gold these days. Even super-efficient Overgrowth karma-training in EOTM wanted me to gouge my eyes out to get the last 400,000 or so karma I needed to make my last weapon.
What kind of weapon do you need karma for? I have about 100k and I'm thinking of just converting it to gold, not that 10g is a whole lot.

Taffer

I hope so as well, I always prefer stuff I can go do whenever I feel like rather than gathering a group just for achievement/collection completion but I think there'll be at least some instanced stuff required. You have to earn dungeon tokens to make the legendary itself as it is so there's already a party up and dungeon requirement in there.
Mainly I want the tasks to be more like 'Dance for Jennah/do something daft or pointless just because' rather than the trait unlock/Mawdrey style of 'do this event'.

Thorgal

Frostgorge zone is best zone .

4K screens with GEMFX

gw22015-03-2718-07-46mmq7v.jpg

gw22015-03-2718-43-116hrc1.jpg

What framerates/frametimes are you getting downsampling from 4K? And wouldn't that make your UI illegible?

I still get a (mostly) smooth 60 fps when things are calm or I'm running around in dungeon and fractal sized areas. I played a lot of the HoT beta in 4K so I could get screenshots, and the wyvern was a mid 40s to low 50s event when everyone was there and fighting. More crowded stuff where I end up CPU limited doesn't really drop further than it would at lower resolutions. Some areas with lots of water can dip pretty low though if I have reflections set to All.

But yes, the UI is too tiny to use, so I normally play at 2880x1620.

Using dsr right? What do you have that smoothing setting at.

I used it at the default 33% for a long time, but I think it is at 20% right now. Not a hugely noticeable difference between the two from what I can see. I haven't taken much time to find the right balance between the image being too soft or too sharp.

I do know that 0% makes text unreadable, and everything else is scaled to a jagged mess, haha.

I think if you are using a post processing form of AA (like SMAA or FXAA) you can lower the smoothness a bit to keep things from getting too blurry, but still let the AA take care of any sharp edges.

Mxrz

Are the regional PvP reward tracks worth completing? I like the idea of having every reward track showing up as 'complete' in the panel. But all the free exotics from dungeon tracks has been my mains source of gold lately.

What kind of weapon do you need karma for? I have about 100k and I'm thinking of just converting it to gold, not that 10g is a whole lot.
Legendary weapons need ~1 million karma for obsidian shards. By the end I got sick of EOTM and instead spent fractal relics and laurels to get the last 80 shards. 3 laurels for 3 obsidian shards. I still had over 100 gold after making the thing, karma's far more difficult to get for me.

Legendary weapons need ~1 million karma for obsidian shards. By the end I got sick of EOTM and instead spent fractal relics and laurels to get the last 80 shards. 3 laurels for 3 obsidian shards. I still had over 100 gold after making the thing, karma's far more difficult to get for me.

Obsidian shards are obscenely easy to get from SW chest farming now

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
HA1Je6g.gif

Thorgal

so i am curious : if any of the T2 servers would move to T1 ( most likely FA) would they get absolutely Massacred or would they be able to handle it ?

so i am curious : if any of the T2 servers would move to T1 ( most likely FA) would they get absolutely Massacred or would they be able to handle it ?

They get massacred, everyday, no server in T2 can handle BG/JG/TC, none, last major WvW tourney when TC/BG/JQ all got dropped to T2 at one point in the tourney they rekt the likes of DB and Mag...we talking about 500k to 22k rekt...

Thorgal

They get massacred, everyday, no server in T2 can handle BG/JG/TC, none, last major WvW tourney when TC/BG/JQ all got dropped to T2 at one point in the tourney they rekt the likes of DB and Mag...we talking about 500k to 22k rekt...

yeah i figured , there was some talk about it on TS last night ( likely half joking ) and i thought " wait , FA Is big enough for T1 and unluckily got placed in T2 ?

Haven't played this in ages and finally decided to update the client. I'm not sure where to even begin once I pop back into the game (I don't even remember the server I was on).

Is the GAF guild still ongoing?

Retro

Haven't played this in ages and finally decided to update the client. I'm not sure where to even begin once I pop back into the game (I don't even remember the server I was on).

Is the GAF guild still ongoing?

Yeah, the guild is still pretty active despite the lull in content at the moment, just had to cull inactive players to make room (the sales have brought in a lot of new blood). As always, post your name.#### and we'll get you invited back in.

Depending on how long it's been since you played, I would check out Drytop and The Silverwastes, two new zones that have a lot going on in them. Both are accessible from Brisban Wildlands in the far west of the world.

Wanderer5

Eh I wouldn't exactly say massacre as we FA pretty much have a decent 24 hour coverage now, but well we still most likely be in third heh. Depends if we suddenly gain more guild, or lose some too. That said, the only thing that would keep FA in tier 1 if we actually do get up there, would be if one of the existing servers explodes and many then heads to FA to make it the new tier 1.

But I not sure if I would like to get into tier 1, through tier 2 has become kind of dreadful now lol.

T3-T4 for life! SBI for life! I don't even play WvW.

I want ANET to cancel the expansion and just focus the whole company on living world. The wait for an expansion is annoying and dumb.

BraXzy

Depending on how long it's been since you played, I would check out Drytop and The Silverwastes, two new zones that have a lot going on in them. Both are accessible from Brisban Wildlands in the far west of the world.

Have I been there? I don't recognise the name.

Wanderer5

T3-T4 for life! SBI for life! I don't even play WvW.

I want ANET to cancel the expansion and just focus the whole company on living world. The wait for an expansion is annoying and dumb.

Would be a bit nice to have a bit more stuff to check out before the expansion that probably won't come till the summer bleh.

TrounceX

FA could compete in T1 in the same way that TC competes in T1. That is, they could hang in there at 3rd place, but would be at the complete mercy of BG and especially JQ if either server decided they want to win the week.

So there's 2 reasons why the talk of FA to T1 started.

1. FA's NA is totally stacked (bigger population than even T1), and they also just gained a big SEA guild from BG in [Ng]. SEA is the most important timezone in the game and it's thought that this could get them over the hump into T1.

2. JQ and BG despise TC's playstyle, which at this point is basically turtle behind walls with siege. No surprise because they are totally outclassed in open field fighting vs 80 man T1 blobs with the best commanders in the game driving them. I would hide behind the wall too.

So if JQ and BG decide to coordinate and focus down TC it will almost certainly break them. There are talks of this happening, but BG empathizes with the 2v1 after season 2, and there are concerns that it would further damage the health of the community if TC drops down. When SoR imploded the community never fully recovered.

I think if it were to happen, it would happen naturally as TC gets worn down over time due to not being able to compete. FA is the natural successor, and would likely gain forces from TC who don't want to leave T1.

tldr: On the scale of happening from 1-10 I give the whole thing about a 5.

Reese-015

Man... I can't stop gushing about the awesome stuff I keep discovering in this game... I found Skrittsburgh today, holy shit... The fact that it is such an amazing place and that at the same time it is 'hidden' right in the middle of a low level area that I thought I had already pretty much fully explored added a lot to it as well. And the mechanics with the Skritt king and the gates closing is an awesome little twist too. This game man...

Thorgal

FA could compete in T1 in the same way that TC competes in T1. That is, they could hang in there at 3rd place, but would be at the complete mercy of BG and especially JQ if either server decided they want to win the week.

1. FA's NA is totally stacked (bigger population than even T1), and they also just gained a big SEA guild from BG in [Ng]. SEA is the most important timezone in the game and it's thought that this could get them over the hump into T1.

2. JQ and BG despise TC's playstyle, which at this point is basically turtle behind walls with siege. No surprise because they are totally outclassed in open field fighting vs 80 man T1 blobs with the best commanders in the game driving them. I would hide behind the wall too.

So if JQ and BG decide to coordinate and focus down TC it will almost certainly break them. There are talks of this happening, but BG empathizes with the 2v1 after season 2, and there are concerns that it would further damage the health of the community if TC drops down. When SoR imploded the community never fully recovered.

I think if it were to happen, it would happen naturally as TC gets worn down over time due to not being able to compete. FA is the natural successor, and would likely gain forces from TC who don't want to leave T1.

could be interesting to see what kind of shake up it causes having fresh meat on top of the food chain .

Also , looks like Ike is having fun :p

gw22015-03-2819-53-03khqgk.png

wvw sure is some crazy shit. I got left way behind on the whole metagame when i took a break a few months after release

Trey

Man... I can't stop gushing about the awesome stuff I keep discovering in this game... I found Skrittsburgh today, holy shit... The fact that it is such an amazing place and that at the same time it is 'hidden' right in the middle of a low level area that I thought I had already pretty much fully explored added a lot to it as well. And the mechanics with the Skritt king and the gates closing is an awesome little twist too. This game man...

Yeah, I love exploring the world. It's probably my favorite thing to do in the game. Such beautiful landscapes.

TrounceX

wvw sure is some crazy shit. I got left way behind on the whole metagame when i took a break a few months after release

It would surprise no one here that I think it's easily the most novel and compelling part of the game. Anet can try their hardest to create an interesting living story, but the stories that are created organically through the WvW sandbox are a million times more interesting to me. It's a never ending drama machine with no clear direction and everyone gets to be an actor if they want to.

That and playing vs people will always be more fun than NPC's because no fight is ever the same.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i am hooome and almost fully conscious but I have to go to another wedding in an hour :-| i will be on to help with makeup missioning action tomorrow

stupid karka rush :(

Thanks all for trying to carry me to the end. I panicked at the last second since there was only 20 seconds left and didn't know how much more there was. Hopefully next time I'll be able to do it since I know all the little secrets now.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
When I highlight a mob or NPC the outline is very jagged, is it like this for everyone? It doesn't matter if I max out the graphics and force the highest possible AA it doesn't get any smoother. Everything else is very crisp.

When I highlight a mob or NPC the outline is very jagged, is it like this for everyone? It doesn't matter if I max out the graphics and force the highest possible AA it doesn't get any smoother. Everything else is very crisp.
Haven't noticed that myself. If anything, I think the outline has become more subtle since release. I recall it being a very prominent highlight but now I swear it looks thinner (I don't think going from 1080p to 1440p would do that).

Wanderer5

It would surprise no one here that I think it's easily the most novel and compelling part of the game. Anet can try their hardest to create an interesting living story, but the stories that are created organically through the WvW sandbox are a million times more interesting to me. It's a never ending drama machine with no clear direction and everyone gets to be an actor if they want to.

That and playing vs people will always be more fun than NPC's because no fight is ever the same.

Heh despite the drama, I think being part of a WvW guild has brought in many memories, friendships, and a more active play in cooperative, that I don't think PvE can bring in ways. WvW really changed me the most to be more active online MP wise.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And full exotic, with an Ascended neck. Pretty happy with my progress seeing as I only jumped in during the latest sale.

I want to level an Elementalist now, and then maybe work on world completion on my Warrior.

If you are forcing AA in Nvidia Inspector, you need the right Compatibility bits set.

Check this for whichever GW2 code you need. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956

It seems you need to be sure to turn on the "antialiasing fix" option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom