• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I'm actually agreeing with Kos.

For every person who wants the Living Story to go full speed ahead and drop new episodes every two weeks for a year, there's someone whining on Reddit that the updates are too small and wondering why don't they just release an expansion already. We basically got a full year of Living Story, and it was good but it had some legitimate flaws. I'm sure the expansion will be good as well, and the current lull just happens to be a flaw for that particular release model.

You can't make everyone happy all at once. They've said once HoT is out, they'll discuss how the Living Story will work. My concern is that they'll decide not to do it at all anymore, which would be a shame because no one else in gaming was putting out content like that.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Retro

As someone who loves the Living Story, even I have to admit that there were issues. There were a few episodes that fell a little short, especially early on when they were trying things out (all 3 months of "Flame and Frost" could have been condensed to two weeks, probably). Some things were too temporary, like Marionette (though that cuts both ways; I like that I have memories of events like the Battle of Lion's Arch that will never be repeated). I also didn't like that every episode's storyline seemed to end on a cliffhanger, especially when it didn't have a payoff the following update.

That said, the beauty of the two-week cycle is that if something wasn't fantastic (though most of them were) it wasn't going to be very long until something new was added. That cuts both ways too though; sometimes it felt like you'd be wrapping things up just as the next episode was releasing, so the pacing was sometimes a little frantic. Having the Story Journal in place helps that a lot, though.

Somewhere between two weeks and several months is a sweet spot I think they could zero in on once HoT gives them some breathing room and a bunch of new content platforms. Something I'm sure we've all noticed is that ArenaNet is very good at creating those platforms for content but doesn't follow through on them (My initial hope was that we'd see a new Fractal every 4-6 months, for example). Sneaking a few "platform releases" in on a more regular basis, breaking up the season a little more, is something I'd love to see them try.

knees and toes

Za6dehw.gif

oh you

As someone who loves the Living Story, even I have to admit that there were issues. There were a few episodes that fell a little short, especially early on when they were trying things out (all 3 months of "Flame and Frost" could have been condensed to two weeks, probably). Some things were too temporary, like Marionette (though that cuts both ways; I like that I have memories of events like the Battle of Lion's Arch that will never be repeated). I also didn't like that every episode's storyline seemed to end on a cliffhanger, especially when it didn't have a payoff the following update.

That said, the beauty of the two-week cycle is that if something wasn't fantastic (though most of them were) it wasn't going to be very long until something new was added. That cuts both ways too though; sometimes it felt like you'd be wrapping things up just as the next episode was releasing, so the pacing was sometimes a little frantic. Having the Story Journal in place helps that a lot, though.

Somewhere between two weeks and several months is a sweet spot I think they could zero in on once HoT gives them some breathing room and a bunch of new content platforms. Something I'm sure we've all noticed is that ArenaNet is very good at creating those platforms for content but doesn't follow through on them (My initial hope was that we'd see a new Fractal every 4-6 months, for example). Sneaking a few "platform releases" in on a more regular basis, breaking up the season a little more, is something I'd love to see them try.

I don't know this for a fact but I tend to think the reason for the things you don't like about LS (which are same as mine) is because they weren't whole heartily behind it and always had "smaller" teams working on it. As soon as they put a few more people in it, it got better, ie LS2 compared to LS1.

I am imaging a time when ANET wants to go back to Living World with Feature Pack breaks but with the whole company behind it, not worrying about having to create an expansion.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just did Guild Rush for the first time which was fun, I died a few times as the little spider guy but made it in the end. I have 5 guild marks now, so I guess it takes a long time to get the ascended trinkets.

Retro

Excellent Make-up missions, thanks for coming everyone.

Our Mumble server has about 1 month of paid service left, and while I'll be kicking in some money donations would be awesome. The last time we asked, you guys funded the damn thing from 2013 all the way to the present, which is just... crazy awesome.

Here's the link to the donations page, contribute only if you want to. This is completely optional!

I don't know this for a fact but I tend to think the reason for the things you don't like about LS (which are same as mine) is because they weren't whole heartily behind it and always had "smaller" teams working on it. As soon as they put a few more people in it, it got better, ie LS2 compared to LS1.

I am imaging a time when ANET wants to go back to Living World with Feature Pack breaks but with the whole company behind it, not worrying about having to create an expansion.

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume that work started on the expansion not too long after launch, so that's a lot of people working behind the scenes who, if they don't start on an expansion as soon as HoT is finished, will be available for Living story or whatever else needs work. They seem focused on adding new rather than revamping the old, so I dunno if they'll mess with the old zones (bringing them up to current event) or dungeons or anything. I'd certainly like it, since Fractals / AC shows what they're capable of.

Yes, final 80 complete. 7% map exploration, lowest one yet lol. Thank goodness for all the mats I've hoarded.

Edit: whoa, that's some crazy color arrangement, gifyu.com. lol
Edit2: antialiasing is worse compared to what I'm seeing on the ROG screen, too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, the mines plopped by Bunker Down has some weird sfx, that sometimes I feel like I should apologize to other players when I do CoE.

Wanderer5

How are you managing to avoid a herd of GAFers in these shots?

NERFies first off.:p I help manage missions with Fort Engineer on sundays.

And I just do my best to take shots with little to no player presence, sometimes taking certain angles, and lagging behind a bit at certain places.

Retro

NERFies first off.:p I help manage missions with Fort Engineer on sundays.

Ah, thought you were running with GAF since we got Snowden too. I always bring up the rear to make sure no one gets left behind so I was wondering how you would have gotten those shots without me in them. That explains that.

Retro

how come no one told me sword eles were in the data mine?

Our time has arrived, brehs.

Eh, you've gotta be careful with data mined stuff, there's lots of incomplete things that end up cancelled, like the school uniform and swimwear town clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom