• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played WvW last night and helped take Stonemist Castle for the first time in over a year. It was pretty fun.

The lack of a recent WvW tournament is making me sad. The 50 tickets in my bank are pretty useless until I can earn some more.

Spyware

Finally decided I had time to upgrade my computer with the parts I recently bought. Mobo was borked so I had to put all the old parts back. When I did the SSD didn't work. No GW2 for me atm ;'(
Getting a new SSD tomorrow and will probably try to at least get GW2 working. Annoying when I know I have to reinstall everything again when the replacement mobo arrives D:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally decided I had time to upgrade my computer with the parts I recently bought. Mobo was borked so I had to put all the old parts back. When I did the SSD didn't work. No GW2 for me atm ;'(
Getting a new SSD tomorrow and will probably try to at least get GW2 working. Annoying when I know I have to reinstall everything again when the replacement mobo arrives D:
blehhhh been there. Good luck with the new kit.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Probably the most insane fight I've been in. Currently at keep at Forest of Nifhel with one of my teammates down and i'm engaging 3 targets with half health and most of my skills on CD.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYC-940F-kE

Far more intense than the fights I have with my Turret Engi.

I was ready to muster up the courage to finally install the SSD drive I bought back in November. But reading this has scared me for at least another month.

nataku

There's no way I could go half a year without installing an SSD I bought. It's such an easy upgrade.

Did you even test it? The thing could have been DOA and you wouldn't even know until now.

Shanlei91

There's no way I could go half a year without installing an SSD I bought. It's such an easy upgrade.

Did you even test it? The thing could have been DOA and you wouldn't even know until now.

The main issue is laziness in regards to my current harddrive being 480gb full and me foolishly buying a 250gb SSD. I've slowly been deleting stuff / migrating it to an external drive. All while I continue to load last in pvp.

aember

Not So Secret progress, Day 92.
Dear Diary,

I still remember how easy it was to complete the place in terms of loot chests.
But I hate diving.
Today I had the most successful attempt: on my way up I revived 9 people (!!), I was sure that karma was on my side!
.. I slid off on the very last jump, the one that's connected to the diving platform.
I'm not going back there for the time being.

Not So Secret progress, Day 92.
Dear Diary,

I still remember how easy it was to complete the place in terms of loot chests.
But I hate diving.
Today I had the most successful attempt: on my way up I revived 9 people (!!), I was sure that karma was on my side!
.. I slid off on the very last jump, the one that's connected to the diving platform.
I'm not going back there for the time being.

I warned you!

In other news I wasted six+ hours of my day yesterday getting the chest there and going back up to successfully land the dive. That took me four jump attempts as I kept dying on the way down. The dive is easily the worst part with a couple stupidly tricky jumps (rock wall near the top and the first of the last set of pistons, both causing me to die a bunch until I figured out good tricks). And then you get to the diving goggles and you can't see where you need to jump with a bunch of stuff between you and the water.

Finishing that felt great and then I hit level 30 right before clearing that zone so now I have traits and new story quests. I went with the guardian's radiance path but it seems there's no cost to reset it as much as you want? Neato.

Arksy

So I decided to give GW2 a go after a long time away, can't remember my password. No problem, I'll just reset it.

Email never ever comes, no matter how many times I try. So I decided to go to their support page. It asks me to login.

So hopeless, what are you meant to do if you can't log in? :/

Wow, after six years I finally got that 4th Anniversary Tab in my Xunlai Chest in GW1. I had to do a mission to get a token for it. Not dodging sucks, I couldn't jump down a tiny ledge, I can't move and attack. Ugh, how the hell did I get GWAMM and 50 HOM with that? lol.

Spyware

I got the SSD working again! Don't ask how tho... Still gonna buy a new one for the new mobo since this seems a bit unstable :S

blehhhh been there. Good luck with the new kit.
I've never had a smooth upgrade actually. It's always something. I've had faulty memory (easiest to handle), faulty CPUs, faulty mobos (worst!) and faulty HDDs. Bleh.

I was ready to muster up the courage to finally install the SSD drive I bought back in November. But reading this has scared me for at least another month.
Oh nonono! Upgrade! It's great and a very easy thing to do. My SSD has worked pefectly until I put it into the faulty mobo and I did get it working again now so :)

This is so great <3

I don't know who people are from in-game names to GAF names here but thanks to the two people that took me through the AC story dungeon thinger today. I then went against chat's advice and picked Vigil for my story because it fits my character and I'm trying to make their decisions based off of what fits for their small amount of back story.

Still plugging away on my guardian. Currently at level 36. Still improving my mid-fight weapon swapping game. I also don't have a great idea which of the skills and traits I should be using but that's fine. I mix it up every now and then but typically I just go with those that have passives so I can ignore them more often than not.

Also, I beat Maddie in Belcher's Bluff so that means I'm awesome.

I'm closing in on 20% map complete, I believe. This world feels huge and has plenty of neat things hidden all around.

aember

I hit Lv50 not too long ago, while doing the (badass) assault on Centaur Camps at the north east part of Harathi Hinterlands.

This is officially the highest level I've achieved in an mmo (bar WoW private servers, but they don't count 'cause modded xp rates). Feels hella good!

I'm finding far better gear than the Commander's Armor (Human Cultural T1), but I just can't accept trading away such badass armor. :(

Thorgal

I don't know who people are from in-game names to GAF names here but thanks to the two people that took me through the AC story dungeon thinger today. I then went against chat's advice and picked Vigil for my story because it fits my character and I'm trying to make their decisions based off of what fits for their small amount of back story.

Still plugging away on my guardian. Currently at level 36. Still improving my mid-fight weapon swapping game. I also don't have a great idea which of the skills and traits I should be using but that's fine. I mix it up every now and then but typically I just go with those that have passives so I can ignore them more often than not.

Also, I beat Maddie in Belcher's Bluff so that means I'm awesome.

I'm closing in on 20% map complete, I believe. This world feels huge and has plenty of neat things hidden all around.
if you put your mouse cursor over a name in chat it will show you their account name which is for most the same as on GAF .

Thorgal

I hit Lv50 not too long ago, while doing the (badass) assault on Centaur Camps at the north east part of Harathi Hinterlands.

This is officially the highest level I've achieved in an mmo (bar WoW private servers, but they don't count 'cause modded xp rates). Feels hella good!

I'm finding far better gear than the Commander's Armor (Human Cultural T1), but I just can't accept trading away such badass armor. :(

you don't have to keep it for the look .

Every weapon /armor skin you soulbound or is account bound also unlocks it's skin in the wardrobe .

So you can always change back to that look by changing the skin of your armor .
( i would wait doing this until you hit 80 though and you go for your final armor set . )

Moondrop

Banned
Holy crap this is a trait system overhaul.

What we previously thought were specializations are actually "elite specializations." There will be an additional level of specialization in which you pick 2/5 or 3/5 of the old trait lines (depending on if you took the elite or not).

Tiny details:
- All necro wells will be ground-targeted.
- Engineer mortar elite will become a kit.
- One elite specialization will involve "a full set of six shouts." Be still my heart.

They separate stats from traits, opening up builds by trait choice rather than stat choice.
More power! You now get to select nine major traits instead of seven, including three grandmaster traits.
Each trait is more impactful, so choices are more build defining and meaningful.
The new, more streamlined unlock system is friendlier to new players and much less of a burden on players with multiple characters.
This new system is one that we can continue to expand while maintaining a strong sense of balance.

WOWO!

This piece of news got me way more interested than any of the other posts. Those changes seem really great and a lot of fun to try out and learn.

Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge.

What about skill point scrolls? Dissolved into mats? What's happening with bloodstone shard/augur stone/etc?

I&#8217;m personally excited about a grandmaster trait that has the power to grant my character a defiance bar!

o_o

spiritfox

OMG SO HYPE

So you can pick 3 trees to specialize in, including the elite spec? Does that mean you can have multiple elite specs in the future, or are they locked to 1?

Quenk

OMG SO HYPE

So you can pick 3 trees to specialize in, including the elite spec? Does that mean you can have multiple elite specs in the future, or are they locked to 1?

They did say this:

We made this system to build upon it, so let the speculation about future specializations begin before we&#8217;ve even revealed the first full set!

Any mention of build templates??!!?!?!?!?

I don't believe so. Maybe someone will ask in the Q&A tomorrow.

Maybe they'll merge traits like Shield Master and Missile Deflection on Warrior. Banners doing damage when summoned should be a default part of the skills too. Excited to see how they fix some of the more worthless traits.

spiritfox

Hmm, not sure if I like putting all the stat increases into gear. Gear with no Power will fall even more to the wayside.

Also,

6ddd5HeroPanel_ScreenshotTraining4-590x447.jpg

Tempest?

swnny

Is it just me, or with the way they are turning trait lines into specializations and removing/merging some of the old traits, they will hurt the build diversity even more? For core specs only.

Is it just me, or with the way they are turning trait lines into specializations and removing/merging some of the old traits, they will hurt the build diversity even more?

Well it sounds like there will be 5 main class trait lines, instead of six, you can call that a deduction of skill variety. Also, with the examples they gave, it sounds like some traits have had their usefulness turned into a skill.
Necromancer has a trait that makes wells ground-targetedable. It's a trait that has something to do with mobility of circumstance, so taking that trait functionality into the well-skills themselves, is not so much a lack a reduction of build diversity, as a general life improvement.

WoW and SWTOR have also culled many of their useless talents, and it always echoes in people feeling there is a reduction in build diversity. But build diversity has nothing to do with choice. You need good choices.
You're going to have to take their word for it when they say that they are removing "useless traits" that "held the old trait system back".

It doesn't sound like any real traits that matters are removed. What you get is more traits. You can now max out 3 trait trees (with full grandmaster) instead of maxing 2 trees with a bit in a third.
In this sense you have more build diversity. It means practically that you can do many things you couldn't before.
But you could look at it in another way and say that, the removal of one tree, and the ability to max out 3 out of 5 trees, will create fewer builds for each profession. Simply because you're going to be able to dive deep into 3/5 of the trees. You see what I mean?

So I think it really comes down to this:

If ArenaNet can make the new traits placement such that some people will not want to max all 3 trees, but maybe do 2/0/2/2/2 or 3/3/1/1/1

And then there is the matter of the elite specialization. It will add a new trait line, so we're back to six trait lines. But you can still only max out 3 trees. to get any benefit of the elite specialization you have to go down that. I don't think you can be a Ranger, take elite Druid Specialization, and then run around with a staff and spend no points in this Druid Elite Specialization trait line.
But with Elite specializations it means you can max 3 trait lines out of 6. Basically, every character can get 50% of all given traits on any character.

Other notes:

1) It sounds like Revernant is not getting any new weapon for their elite specialization. It must be another channeled Hero from the past since It says they get a heal, utility 7,8,9 and elite skill.
In the case of Rev its probably okay. They have access to a lot of weapons already!

2) But it says that some professions only will get an off-hand weapon? That sounds underwhelming. The idea that warrior might get a focus or an off-hand dagger. Smeh! If a Guardian can equip a longbow, that's 5 skills! That's a lot more than the boring 2 skilled off hand weapons. Particularly those that dont have direct damage attacks.

3) They said in the past that it is only for the moment possible to use one elite specialization. Does that mean that expansion 2 and 3, would allow you to wield 2 or 3 elite specializations on top of your base professions? So I could be a Ranger - Druid - Second elite specialization at once?

4) Are they still on target with the idea that specializations "fundamentally changes the way your profession" plays with elite specialization? I understood it as that druids would mechanically differ with a new resource system perhaps?

There are five trait lines for each profession currently. I'm not sure what you mean by "instead of six" or the specialization taking it "back to six."

There also won't be any such thing as "2/0/2/2/2 or 3/3/1/1/1." The way they described it, you have to pick and max three lines. You can't go part of the way into more than three. It's all or nothing.

Retro

I'm still processing the new info, but my initial impression is that it's potentially more confusing because everything is tied to one currency and system. I also believe it is more restrictive than needed: you cannot dip a toe into a tree for a single major/minor trait.

I still don't see the need for minor traits or trees, if all traits were made useful the order and distinction wouldn't matter. It should be 8 trait "slots" where you pick from fewer (but more useful) traits.

The proof of the pudding will be if dull, unimaginative, passive shit traits like Force of Will survive, I guess.

nataku

Everything sounds pretty good, but I need to see it in action. The articles are a little confusing.

As a side note, I hope that ranger with that staff skin isn't the skin they're going to give them. It's a HoM skin and it'd be pretty shitty for them to start throwing those out to everyone. I'm going to assume it's just some random picture since the skin is druid-like, but their pictures usually are previews of stuff they're releasing, so who knows.

Any mention of build templates??!!?!?!?!?

Sounds like we might be needing them more than ever now.

Zeroth

Maybe they'll merge traits like Shield Master and Missile Deflection on Warrior. Banners doing damage when summoned should be a default part of the skills too. Excited to see how they fix some of the more worthless traits.

That's a given. Guardians will get a huge buff from this, with traited Virtue of Courage will finally work as a stun breaker like I always wanted, plus the consolidation of consecration and spirt weapon buffs into a single trait.

Is it just me, or with the way they are turning trait lines into specializations and removing/merging some of the old traits, they will hurt the build diversity even more? For core specs only.

Yes and no. Builds will be more limited in that you can only pick 3 trait lines, but these trait lines will offer far more for each trait than before. Only time will tell what will really happen, but keep in mind as it is the meta kinda valued solely 2 lines with a minor one for most classes, so in technical terms it's a considerable buff.

Also, Nike made a breakdown of what each class might get. Naturally, lots of speculation, and it only takes in consideration the current meta builds, but it's interesting nonetheless.

There are five trait lines for each profession currently. I'm not sure what you mean by "instead of six" or the specialization taking it "back to six."

There also won't be any such thing as "2/0/2/2/2 or 3/3/1/1/1." The way they described it, you have to pick and max three lines. You can't go part of the way into more than three. It's all or nothing.

Sorry, I meant, the max full potential is to have 6 lines (with the new elite specialization).

That is bizarre what you're saying. If I don't like the grandmaster trait, can I go for 2 master traits?

UI-Skill-and-Trait-Equip-Panel.jpg

this make it look like you need to pick one of 3 choices in adept, 3 choices in master and 3 choices in grand master. If I want (for some weird reason) to make a build out of all the 3 skills in adept, and am not interested in the stuff in master or grand master, I can't do it 3/0/0 inside a single trait line?
I have to pick a master and a grandmaster trait?

WOW and SWTOR also has revamped talents like this. 1 choice out of 3, at several points:

If that is the case, that is bizarre. Because I thought adept, master and grand master classification traits where put in to give a sense a being rewarded for getting a higher level. But since then, a new levelling experience has been added, with gradual unlocks of everything. So why in the hell do this, if grandmaster traits are not supposed to be better than adept?

skills in Guild Wars have never been about about being better. I don't think traits are supposed to be the same way, and removing the stat-ness from the traits seems to facilitate that. So I am confused by this.

Shanlei91

The graphic they provided certainly makes it seem like you have to pick 1 adept, 1 master, and 1 grandmaster in each line.

Yeah!

Here is Ten Tom Hammers interview with Jon Peters: http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/gu...eart-thorns-specializations-and-jon-peters-qa
Ten Ton Hammer: Why did you decide to approach Specializations and Trait changes in this way? What impact do you think it will have on new and existing players and their play experience?

Jon: Last year we implemented a new trait acquisition system to try and provide both a system of progression and growth as characters level up, as well as a way to make acquiring new traits exciting when we added new traits to the game. In retrospect seeing it in the wild, we felt like the system wasn’t in the game’s best interest. Our new system allows players to more easily understand how to unlock skills and traits. It provides clear paths on how to make builds. It makes it easier to get more options at lower levels. Even if an existing player is playing an alt, it also allows them to customize their characters in specific ways at an earlier level so they can define their characters more, even in the early phases.

Looking at it more fundamentally, we’ve been trying to add new skills to the game for two and a half years, and we weren’t happy with the system we had for doing it. We can’t add them in a way that has any impact for players when we’re adding them in a system that already has a lot of choices. It’s multiplicative complexity – the more we added, the more complex it got. The harder it would become to balance, and also the harder it would be for players to understand good build choices. It also meant whenever we added a skill it wasn’t necessarily a meaningful addition because we could add skills that don’t fit at all with anything going on, or they don’t override the existing meta because they had to fit in combos of stuff that existed whereas adding a new specialization is a truly meaningful addition.

The new specialization system lets us basically continually add stuff and make you care about all of it because it’s going to be a package, and with elite specializations specifically you can only have one of them at a time. It also gives us space to work in that we didn’t have before. For instance, when we’re adding more ranger skills, ranger’s already defined and so we’re like, “It’s another trap kind of thing.” When I say, ok if we’re rangers we’re adding a bunch of druid skills and druid traits, now we know druid is part of ranger, ranger now has very heavy magic and nature magic things and these are the skills we’re going to build. It keeps the skills we’re adding from feeling random and feel like we’re actually doing something new for the class.

Also, the more stuff you add to an existing profession, the harder it is when you see that profession to know what it is they do. We haven’t revealed this yet, but with elite specializations, each one is going to have its own unique profession icon and to help call it out as different from the existing profession. We really are treating them as something different. So when you make your ranger a druid, you are a druid, you have a druid profession icon and players can know that’s a druid and they have a good idea of what a druid does and what the druid profession mechanics are. That means as we continually add more and more of these elite specs, there’s a sense of when you see them in the world, you have a pretty good idea of what they do.

Ten Ton Hammer: Where Elite Specializations are concerned, it seems slightly unfair that some only get an off-hand when some get a two handed or main hand weapon (thus more skills). How are you making this appealing for professions who only get an off-hand?

Jon: Fair doesn’t always mean equal. It’s fair because we’re trying to make sure that they all get a lot of really cool things and they get a new way to define their profession. Like we did with the original professions, it doesn’t mean that one-to-one trying to make an equal number of skills one-to-one. To give an example with engineer, we made what felt like it would be like to be an engineer.

The other thing too is that the weapon is just one component of what makes a spec what it is. Weapon skills don’t define the spec. Just like the new healing skills, the new elite skills and the new traits, they complement it and altogether build the spec out. Because of that we feel it’s fine if it’s an offhand, a main hand, or a two-handed weapon, it’s just part of what defines what that spec is.

Ten Ton Hammer: You've hinted at what some Specializations will get, but it sounds as though it's going to take a fair amount of time to change from, say, Ranger to Druid and re-setup your profession. Is this the case or are we getting build saving?

It takes about three seconds to switch from ranger to druid. It takes less time than it currently takes to switch trait lines – in fact, much less. It’s as hard as it is to switch from Nature Magic to Wilderness Survival.

Ten Ton Hammer: How much of a revision are existing skills getting for each profession? Are any and all up for improvement or revision and if so, to what degree do you think you've done this?

Jon: It depends on the profession and it depends on the skill. We talked about some examples for instance where Mortar is turning into a kit. There are other examples like where Heal as One is becoming a shout. We’re also rebalancing some skills based on the way traits are changing. The goal of this is to make more viable builds and give more definition to professions.

Ten Ton Hammer: Of the existing Traits in Guild Wars 2, there are dozens for each that are rarely used - if ever - because they are out of the Meta or just poor. Is this inevitable or are you trying to ensure every trait, regardless of whether it's Adept or Grandmaster is viable?

The new system, where every time you make a choice between traits you only have three to choose from, means that we have to work a lot harder to make sure that they are viable. That means that the likelihood that more traits are viable will increase greatly. That doesn’t mean when we ship them that every single one is going to be equal. There’s no guarantee that every trait based on every game mode is going to be viable – there are going to be certain traits that are maybe a little better in PvP or WvW or PvE.

If you look at the Water Magic line, every single one of those choices of three makes me question which one I’m going to take, and it depends on what sort of character I’m making. Our goal is to make it a hard choice. When you look at those three options you really have to stop and think ‘I want all three of these things, which one makes more sense with my build’. This is one of the reasons we felt comfortable making this change because there is a giant pile of traits that weren’t used and don’t give meaningful choice.

I like what he said about the off-hand weapon. Its not the weapon that defines the elite specialization. you get a new icon for your profession. So your not a ranger anymore. you are a druid.

That's a given. Guardians will get a huge buff from this, with traited Virtue of Courage will finally work as a stun breaker like I always wanted, plus the consolidation of consecration and spirt weapon buffs into a single trait.

Yes and no. Builds will be more limited in that you can only pick 3 trait lines, but these trait lines will offer far more for each trait than before. Only time will tell what will really happen, but keep in mind as it is the meta kinda valued solely 2 lines with a minor one for most classes, so in technical terms it's a considerable buff.

Also, Nike made a breakdown of what each class might get. Naturally, lots of speculation, and it only takes in consideration the current meta builds, but it's interesting nonetheless.

As GAFs resident Guardian Master, what could this mean as a new mechanic?

For example, the active version of the virtues for the Guardian profession are going to be different.
http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/23/e...interview-unwraps-specializations-and-traits/

Zeroth

I'm pretty sure that's Arken's title, but if I were to make a guess, it means it will give different bonuses. The leaked Guardian Longbow from 2013's skill 5 was named something like "Stance change" and allowed the guardian to change between a Zealot longbow build (focused on offensive skills) or a Paragon longbow build (focused on defensive skills).

It's possible that is being adapted to making Virtues work like that, but since it's kinda a lot like Elementalist's mechanic (and guardian has far more weapons than an ele), it could be more limited to longbow only or something.

Also, from the Jon Peters interview:

MMORPG: How will new mechanics for elite specializations be implemented? Will they be implemented through the new traits, skills, or another method? A combination of all of the above? An example would be great.
Jon Peters: The new mechanics for each profession will come in a variety of forms. The bulk of the first set of specializations modifies profession skills but there are other things we are doing as well. As one example, the warrior profession will have a new way to spend adrenaline, and a new way to interact with their adrenaline bar.

Probably tied to this:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom