• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrenaline got nerfed pretty hard in September, so maybe this will do a little to make up for it. Though I have to wonder what you'll be spending it on.

Zeroth

Adrenaline got nerfed pretty hard in September, so maybe this will do a little to make up for it. Though I have to wonder what you'll be spending it on.

Each stack of adrenaline decreases your DPS by 10% but increases your party's DPS by 5%.

Alternative answer: It is used to heal yourself.
Healing Signet even more OP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Overhaul sounds good to me. I haven't really looked at my traits or rethought builds in a long time. It'll be good to have an excuse to do that.

Taffer

As long as you’ve purchased Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, you’ll automatically unlock access to all elite specializations in PvP.

Just because of the recent questions in here about pricing.

Proven

2 hours ago I was waiting between classes and decided to check reddit on my phone. Started reading the first blog post and had to walk around a corner to avoid having a public nerdgasm.

That said, there are a bunch of new extra questions, including how all of this relates to Runes and Sigils (and it sounds like they're changing Runes, possibly making the current PvP system game wide).

Hope tomorrow they use the Ranger as an example and go through setting up a build and how it will work.

The text is bit confusing especially since they are using a class that I don't play to explain the changes.

Today we’ve given you the first taste of the brand-new specializations, and now you undoubtedly have questions that the blogs simply didn’t have enough room to answer. The good news is that you’re in luck! Join us on Twitch this Friday for a special multihour AMA (ask us anything) featuring Isaiah Cartwright, Jon Peters, and other members of the design team responsible for the new specializations in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™
Glad they are taking more time than usual 30min POI/Ready Up streams.

aember

you don't have to keep it for the look .

Every weapon /armor skin you soulbound or is account bound also unlocks it's skin in the wardrobe .

So you can always change back to that look by changing the skin of your armor .
( i would wait doing this until you hit 80 though and you go for your final armor set . )
Ha, I know, but I just enjoy playing the game more when my character is wearing some kickass armor (by the way this game is chock-full of awesome armor sets). I'll get around to upgrading the armor sooner or later.

Proven

It makes super sense to me so I'm willing to type about it during my break, if it helps. There is a lot of text and I had a whole 90 minutes of class to reread if in between note taking.

Simply put, all max level builds will now involve exactly three grandmaster traits. You cannot swap out a grandmaster for something else.

There will now only be 9 major traits per "expertise". Three for Adept, three for Master, and three for Grandmaster.

We still have minor traits.

You do not put points into a trait or specialization line. You just choose a specialization line and it is essentially "immediately maxed out". How much functionality you get in that line is more exactly defined by the amount of skill points placed into its specialization track.

There are ways to get skill points outside of leveling up and skill challenges. They will probably add more as well, otherwise the economy will likely be significantly affected.

Anno

Obviously hard to tell without all the specifics, but I like the core ideas more. Seems they're down for merging boring/necessary utility traits into those more interesting. I also like the idea of being more focused in fewer lines but have more to choose from within those lines. Probably makes balancing easier too, especially as new specialization lines are added in the future.

Trey

one more step toward stats being taken out of the game completely.

Also, this might make me traditionally level a character again.

Trey

tomorrow should be interesting. what I don't like are new weapons being tied to specializations, and "hero points" going away from doing certain world content. Anet took a half step toward the cool capture mechanic from GW, and promptly ran away from it. Giving players more reason to run out into the world and do stuff/explore is an interesting element that I feel would pay off if properly implemented.

WOAH, crazy changes going on here. Separation of stats from trait lines is probably my most liked change, but I'm not sure about limiting yourself to three trait lines. We'll see how this pans out.

Zeroth

"one profession’s elite specialization will be a full set of six shouts."

Warriors become Paragons, calling it

Dunno, shouting at stuff seems more like a Druid thing. One of the shouts can even be "bear this" as they shoot bears with their bows.

Although, warrior with 6 shouts would match the dual warhorn spec, so I'm thorn.

Emitan

The graphic they provided certainly makes it seem like you have to pick 1 adept, 1 master, and 1 grandmaster in each line.

I really don't like this. But until I can see the Guardian and Thief traitlines I don't really have an informed opinion. But this is taking away a lot of choice.

Proven

Most likely, a class getting six shouts from a single specialization will be a class that had zero shouts before. This means not Warrior, not Guardian, and not Ranger.

Ashodin

As GAFs resident Guardian Master, what could this mean as a new mechanic?

http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/23/e...interview-unwraps-specializations-and-traits/

Well as the resident Guardian master, it most likely means the actives will do something other than just boons, perhaps even augment your skills and change the way you actively play into a playstyle that you'd like.

Justice would make all attacks fiery for a short period, inflicting Burning regardless of being immune to conditions

Resolve would give your attacks a heal component - the strength of the attack would add healing done plus a stack of Regeneration.

Courage would add stability stacks, of course.

Ashodin

Proven

Actually... to save some more hype they'll probably only go over the non-elite specilizations, and no revenant to boot.

Ashodin

Every single trait. I'm going to be busy and can't follow but hopefully I can sneak out and stay updated, haha

You+guys+will+probably+want+this+lazy+town+_cf578f60aaf24800662a399daa95e432.gif

My Warrior traits wishlist is basically what does and doesn't need to be moved so you aren't ruined by the "you can only choose 1 of the 3 major traits from each level" change. It's also which traits I like and don't want to see "streamlined" out of the system.

- In Strength, keep Dual Wielding, Great Fortitude, Slashing Power, Axe Mastery, and Berserker's Power where they are. They're already spread out to different levels and could all be used where needed in the new system.

- In Arms, move Forceful Greatsword to Grandmaster. Then move either Rending Strikes or Deep Strike to the Master spot.

- In Defense, I don't really care where anything in particular ends up, but Shield Master and Missile Deflection need to merge. Maybe drop the +90 toughness part from Shield Master if it feels like too much?

- In Tactics, keep Inspiring Banners, Empower Allies, Phalanx Strength, Lung Capacity, Quick Breathing, and Vigorous Shouts where they are. Buff Empowered another percent or two and move it to Grandmaster. Merge Powerful Banners from Strength into Inspiring Banners maybe? (I actually don't think it would be too much for that to be a normal part of banners, even untraited. It's barely 1000 damage once every 96 to 120 seconds.)

- In Discipline, move either Warrior's Sprint or Signet Mastery to the Master slot, and keep Heightened Focus and Burst Mastery as is.

Minor traits should pretty much stay as they are, unless they are generous enough to merge more stuff into them. There are a few I would certainly be sad to lose; Discipline minor traits in particular shouldn't be removed.

The majority of the rest of the traits are on weapon sets or skill types I'm not really concerned with what happens to the bonuses. There are certainly places they can be improved to make more builds more viable, but I won't worry about them and can probably accept whatever happens, good or bad.

Zeroth

I think it's important to point out that some traits will move up. Bolt to Heart, an elementalist Adept trait, will become a grandmaster.

Also, calling it now, Force of Will will be the Defiance bar skill.

Proven

That's the one that gives bonus vitality, right? I think is prefer it if it was still just Vitality, even if that's less interesting.

Retro

That's the one that gives bonus vitality, right? I think is prefer it if it was still just Vitality, even if that's less interesting.

It gives a boring, passive +300 vitality. It's a grandmaster trait with all the excitement of unbuttered toast and it needs to die.

Anno

Yeah Force of Will needs to change somehow. Even if it's just a cooler subset of my healthpool with a special effect I'd be happy. Maybe it's the "first" 3,000 that regenerates super quickly in combat and takes half damage, but once it's gone can not be healed back up until you exit combat. Just something with some flavor and potential strategy.

Ashodin

Yeah Force of Will needs to change somehow. Even if it's just a cooler subset of my healthpool with a special effect I'd be happy. Maybe it's the "first" 3,000 that regenerates super quickly in combat and takes half damage, but once it's gone can not be healed back up until you exit combat. Just something with some flavor and potential strategy.

Sounds badass actually!

Moondrop

Banned
I really don't care how they redesign it so long as there's more build diversity.
Umm, prepare for disappointment. Mathematically it's a tremendous reduction in build diversity. One may claim that the new builds will be better balanced because there are fewer, but to claim there will be more build diversity is only possible by torturing the word "viable."

Nevertheless I am optimistic that fun, new mechanics will compensate for the lack of diversity.

Retro

That's about how I'd do it if you absolutely had to have it just give "more health". It's treated like a 'layer' of health you have to penetrate to get to the real health underneath. Maybe some kind of luminous armor that appears over your character when you're hit (because we don't want a full-body Aegis effect). Definitely can't be healed but regenerates out of combat.

Anything is better than "Here, have more numbers!"

Umm, prepare for disappointment. Mathematically it's a tremendous reduction in build diversity. One may claim that the new builds will be better balanced because there are fewer, but to claim there will be more build diversity is only possible by torturing the word "viable."

Nevertheless I am optimistic that fun, new mechanics will compensate for the lack of diversity.

Exactly. From sheer numerical standpoint, "build diversity" is going down because a shitload of traits are getting removed. However, what's likely to get removed are traits that nobody was using in the first place, and what's left will be changed to be more substantial. There's less wiggle room for crazy, weird builds to be created, but those tend to be kind of niche at best.

My personal hope is that the boring, passive "x% chance to ______", "increases damage by y" and "+z to ______" type traits are what ends up on the cutting room floor and what's left is mostly the (to use ANet's term) "Skillful" traits. People gravitate towards the safe, passive stuff that's easy to theorycraft because it takes no real skill or awareness to use it. Force of Will draws my ire because any idiot can greatly benefit from being a bigger damage sponge, whereas something like Missile Deflection can be amazing, but only in the right hands.

Bottom line: Less traits overall but more you want to use is better than more traits overall but a bunch you never touch.

Ashodin

Yes please, more gameplay altering traits, in the way that make you go "huh, I could get better use out of X if I do this because it absorbs damage" or something nutty like that.

Moondrop

Banned
Bottom line: Less traits overall but more you want to use is better than more traits overall but a bunch you never touch.
True, in principle. But the primary blow to diversity is not the overall reduction from 13->9 traits per line but the forced choice of 1/3 at each tier. No more grabbing two master traits or two adepts and a master in a line- you're significantly more dependent on Anet's weighting of the traits. And no more speccing for minor traits either. After tomorrow we'll have a good idea of just how constrained we will be.

Proven

It gives a boring, passive +300 vitality. It's a grandmaster trait with all the excitement of unbuttered toast and it needs to die.
We've had this discussion before, but to quickly rehash it increases the Guardian's Vitality by an entire tier. That's the level of stat boost that can (and should, although it doesn't in practice) change the way your game is played. It probably needs to be buffed to at least 500 Vitality once they remove attributes from trait lines (and I'd prefer 700), but the point of the trait is that it ups your health from the lowest value in the game to the point where it approaches a Warrior's natural health pool. The only reason I'd have for removing it is because Vitality as a stat isn't as impactful as it might be in another RPG.

Mxrz

Its all speculation until we can play it. PvP will be pvp, but curious how this reflects the pve stuff in HoT.

Sounds like it should favor my guardian since I won't lose dps stats for taking Pure of Voice / Put Ari Out. Ditto with the Warrior and Phalanx strength. A thief being able to have full zerk stats + stealth traits will be something, too. Wonder if the increased equipment stats will mess with the exotic vs Ascended ratio.

Complistic

I did mean viable. like 50% of the old traits didn't need to exist as there were better options

Zeroth

We've had this discussion before, but to quickly rehash it increases the Guardian's Vitality by an entire tier. That's the level of stat boost that can (and should, although it doesn't in practice) change the way your game is played. It probably needs to be buffed to at least 500 Vitality once they remove attributes from trait lines (and I'd prefer 700), but the point of the trait is that it ups your health from the lowest value in the game to the point where it approaches a Warrior's natural health pool. The only reason I'd have for removing it is because Vitality as a stat isn't as impactful as it might be in another RPG.

It's a GrandMaster trait that ups a guardian's health pool at the cost of significant other useful traits. The pay off is not justificable for what it offers. Making it give a Defiance bar would probably make it pretty big in WvW for guardians assuming Stability stacks with it. Its usefulness would be countered by how Pure of Voice is also incredibly useful (and will be even more if it also gets the cooldown reduction), although I expect Battle Presence to be tied to a traited Virtue of Resolve and some other trait become a GrandMaster (maybe a Empowering Might with a larger range).

Its all speculation until we can play it. PvP will be pvp, but curious how this reflects the pve stuff in HoT.

Sounds like it should favor my guardian since I won't lose dps stats for taking Pure of Voice / Put Ari Out. Ditto with the Warrior and Phalanx strength. A thief being able to have full zerk stats + stealth traits will be something, too. Wonder if the increased equipment stats will mess with the exotic vs Ascended ratio.

The difference will probably remain the same. They are not buffing stats, just redistributing them, so the base value added should remain the same across all tiers respecting their current % difference.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
"Anyone who dies needs to uninstall the game" - Adriaaa, the great motivator

What follows is a very smooth AC P1 run where no one dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom