• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

aember

Managed to get from 50 to 60 in less than 24 hours. I got lucky with those 2 Tomes of Knowledge as a login bonus!

Lv80 is getting closer!

Retro

True, in principle. But the primary blow to diversity is not the overall reduction from 13->9 traits per line but the forced choice of 1/3 at each tier. No more grabbing two master traits or two adepts and a master in a line- you're significantly more dependent on Anet's weighting of the traits. And no more speccing for minor traits either. After tomorrow we'll have a good idea of just how constrained we will be.

The chances that ArenaNet gets the traits relatively balanced within a tier seem better with fewer to deal with at once. With the choice being so much more narrow, I do think we're less likely to have duds simply because they know the options are so limited.

I'm hoping today we see a lot of traits made baseline. I would also be happy if runes lost their stat component, clearing the way for the "PvP Model" to go game wide and allowing Runes to pick up some trait-like effects. I'm beyond hoping we'll ever get a trait line-less system at this point, though.

We've had this discussion before, but to quickly rehash it increases the Guardian's Vitality by an entire tier. That's the level of stat boost that can (and should, although it doesn't in practice) change the way your game is played. It probably needs to be buffed to at least 500 Vitality once they remove attributes from trait lines (and I'd prefer 700), but the point of the trait is that it ups your health from the lowest value in the game to the point where it approaches a Warrior's natural health pool. The only reason I'd have for removing it is because Vitality as a stat isn't as impactful as it might be in another RPG.

Oh, I know "more health" is a big deal and being up a full tier is a substantial change, but that doesn't save it from being a boring, passive, "under the hood" effect. Changing values on a spreadsheet is not satisfying, in my opinion, and traits should change things mechanically (grandmaster traits even moreso). Getting to the end of the trait line and just getting a flat stat increase may be useful, but it has all the excitement of filing my taxes.

Proven

Ah, you guys make me realize I have a love for breakpoints in design. When it's just 10% to have 10% more it's boring, but when that 10% turns you into something you weren't, I end up wanting to keep it.

Like how Unsuspecting Foe works, giving you such a high breakpoint that you could make builds you couldn't before with the big stat boost. Force of Will doesn't have a conditional attached, but I was fine with that as conditionals attached to defensive boosts are hard to use without making the defensive boost unviable. Its main balancing point was the very fact that it was a grandmaster trait, forcing you to go in a slightly different direction that you normally would with a guardian. It was also placed in a trait line that was often invested into for its healing power or support but had a number of options that could be used offensively and the other grandmasters in the line weren't matching that as well.

One thing I hope to see in today's livestream is that they focused the traitlines more. Each trait line in Guild Wars 2 was optimally for two different build directions, but minor traits were often focused on just one, or had their synergy split. One example is the old Death Magic line on Necromancer, where until 2014 had its minors focused entirely on minions. Or Arms from the Warrior and Curses from the Necromancer, which are their condition damage lines, but their minors seem slightly more concerned with doing more direct damage in the end.

There are five lines per class. They should be focused on Direct Damage, Condition Damage, Defensive Abilities, Support Abilities, and their Class Mechanic line. Focus the minor traits in each line so that we do those things well. Then branch out and use a few major traits for synergies. So the Direct Damage line might also have traits to help Support by creating Might and Fury. Support Ability line can increase the damage of the boons you're already generating for yourself and allies. And if you're a Warrior, your Adrenaline line will already help with doing more damage. Another direction is a juggernaut type of build, where you take Defensive Abilities and Adrenaline traits to quickly build adrenaline and then use them for more passive bonuses like Berserker's Power or Heightened Focus that are lost if you lose Adrenaline for some reason that could be found in the new elite specialization line, or just Cleansing Ire.

On a side note, people feel like it's a bug that Berserker's Power doesn't give its bonus to Burst Attacks. That is, the adrenaline is spent before the damage is done. I always felt like that was intended. What do the rest of you think?

Also, stat compensation. Everyone is getting about 500 points more from the extra baseline stats, so say a PvP Amulet only needs about 200 more points total (not per stat) to compensate if you go by raw points. Realistically, those points were more focused but if you ignore that then the ranges of burst to bunker get lowered (which I can live with, lol). But still, there are multiple ways one can go about this...

Zeroth

The chances that ArenaNet gets the Oh, I know "more health" is a big deal and being up a full tier is a substantial change, but that doesn't save it from being a boring, passive, "under the hood" effect. Changing values on a spreadsheet is not satisfying, in my opinion, and traits should change things mechanically (grandmaster traits even moreso). Getting to the end of the trait line and just getting a flat stat increase may be useful, but it has all the excitement of filing my taxes.

Going by the revenant invocation trait line, I think Anet agrees with you.

leng jai

It looks like the new details on the trait system overhaul has completely killed guild chat. Spent most of today talking to myself.

Taffer

Can I just say how fucking beautiful it looks

UI-Skill-and-Trait-Equip-Panel.jpg

*sigh* dreamy

Speaking of redesigned traits/skills panel, this is a good chance to add missing information to the skills tab. Chain skills only show the first attack in the chain in the weapon skills tab and there's no way to see what will happen to your weapon skills when you use a transform skill or equip a kit.

Proven

I've been posting a lot of words today. I'm a lot more excited about this than I exoected. I guess I didn't fully expect us to get info on specilizations until after some type of WvW beta. And yesterday's articles got me super hyped as well. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop I'm going to be out all day and won't be able to post about it for a while but plan to watch the live stream off my phone.

In the mean time, I ended up dreaming up some concept descriptions of possible elite specilizations.

PARAGON - New weapon: Staff
Your burst skills are replaced with two Roars, dependent on your main and off hand. Roar to knock down your foes or provide your allies Quickness!

CHRONOMANCER - New Weapon Shield
Shatter your illusions to cast Retaliation, Taunt, Slow or Quickness to enemies or allies. Literally control the flow of battle!

EXORCIST - New Weapon: Longbow
Regular Guardian F1 changed to do something else. Exorcist F1-3 cause burning (or more damage if target is already burnt) along with some other condition. Smite your foes with holy fire!

SKULL KNIGHT
Activate Death Shroud to amplify your current skills. You still weird your weapon while in Death Shroud and get additional effects paid with Life Force.

Okay, work starts soon so maybe I'll be able to take my mind off this for a little while.

Morokh

Sooo I just had enough to buy Scarlet's Kiss off the TP for my engineer, so I tried, the TP tells me the item I want to buy doesn't exist .... someone just bought it and now the price is up 199 gold ........

I could scream ! ....

Speaking of redesigned traits/skills panel, this is a good chance to add missing information to the skills tab. Chain skills only show the first attack in the chain in the weapon skills tab and there's no way to see what will happen to your weapon skills when you use a transform skill or equip a kit.

ha, Anet won't do shit i had to learn about combo fields and how they work and when they do them from the internet, Anet has failed to teach it's gamers the basic combat knowledge from day 1, don't think they will start now..

Moondrop

Banned
Like how Unsuspecting Foe works, giving you such a high breakpoint that you could make builds you couldn't before with the big stat boost.
Absolutely, if the numbers are large enough they become build defining. Stat-based traits aren't bad in principle.

On a side note, people feel like it's a bug that Berserker's Power doesn't give its bonus to Burst Attacks. That is, the adrenaline is spent before the damage is done. I always felt like that was intended. What do the rest of you think?
Apologies for parsing your words- I agree it's intended but I find it illogical. You discharge your adrenaline to perform the attack, so you should be full of adrenaline and hence its benefits at the moment of attack. But given the new adrenaline mechanic, you actually discharge your adrenaline during the wind-up, so at the moment of attack it's all gone, and thus I get why it works the way it does.

I've been posting a lot of words today. I'm a lot more excited about this than I expected.
Those who care most about PvP are most hyped for theorycrafting new builds; makes sense to me. ;)

Moondrop

Banned
Core trait changes coming out before HoT!!! (but not elite specializations)

Miscellaneous intro notes:
- Significantly improved traits make 1/3 choice at each tier OK (acknowledges would be bad if traits weren't improved)
- Engineer traits so different the explanation would require a Powerpoint presentation
- Trying to put every skill into a category, e.g. Ele's Tornado elite will be a Cantrip

Moondrop

Banned
I'm trying to take notes but they started going really fast and I experienced some interruptions.

Ele
(fire)
- fire aura on fire attunement, first minor trait
- burning duration + burn on crit, adept
- conjurer, adept
- 7% power into condi damage, adept
- more damage and cd reduction, master
- improved fire auras, master
- cleansing fire + might on cantrip, master
- fire fields duration + fury when blasting + lava font, gm
- pyromancer's puissance, gm
- blinding ashes with reduced ICD, gm
(air)
- zephyr's boon, adept
- one with air, adept
- 7% healing into ferocity, adept (will likely change)
- boon on glyph + glyph CD, master
- ferocity in air attunement + air cd, master
- tempest defense, master
- bolt to heart, gm
- fresh air, gm
- lightning rod, gm
(earth)
- take less damage from melee range, gm minor
- armor of earth
- serrated stones
- elemental shielding
- %toughness into condi damage, master
- rock solid, master
- ???
- diamond skin
- written in stone + signed CD
- stone heart
(water)
- ???
- ???
- stop, drop, roll, adept
- soothing disruption + cantrip cd, master
- ???
- damage >90% + water CD, master
- cleansing water, gm
- powerful aura, gm
- bountiful power, gm
(arcane) (intentionally nerfed and attuenment CD mostly baked in)
- endurance on arcane skill + arcane CD
- renewing stamina, adept
- arcane abatement, adept
- arcane resurrection (+ revive speed), master
- elemental contingency, master
- arcane shield, master
- evasive arcana, gm
- elemental surge, gm
- elemental attunement, gm
(bonus)
- they may work windborne dagger back in
[my commentary: moving bolt to heart and elemental attunement to grandmaster tier are nerfs]

Retro

Feline Grace change sounds interesting, triggering from all evasion abilities rather than just dodge... especially with this Endless Stamina change. I really like the Acrobatics Tree so I'm looking forward to trying these out. Edit: Holy crap at Don't Stop. That's cool.

What about mesmers? :)

They have a schedule they showed earlier, I think Mesmers were one of the later ones. Warriors were last.

Zeroth

FIRST ELITE SPEC NEXT WEEK, NOT DRUID

WARRIORS UNITE

Have they confirmed it's warrior? Because I think it's more likely they will show a class that is more advanced in development, like mesmer or engineer, versus those we've seen nothing off like warrior or thief.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ha, keepaway thief builds will become omega-level trollospheres if that functions the way I'd interpret it.

Got an engagement party tomorrow night that will almost definitely go past all of missions, so my apologies if I don't show. Peeps just cannot stop getting married and stuff, it's just wrong I say!

Moondrop

Banned
Thief
(deadly arts) -now poison and condition focused
- dagger strikes can poison, adept (hint at mechanics other than stacking duration)
- mug, adept
- drop needle trap on healing skill, adept
- stealing reduces trap CD by 10s, master
- panic strike with 20s CD, master
- power while revealed, master
- poison duration and damage, gm
- improvisation + used stolen items twice, gm
- executioner, gm
(critical strikes) - deliberately toned down to not be required
- increased crit damage to low health foes, master minor
- side strike, adept
- signets of power+ signet cd, adept
- increased dual wield crit chance, adept (may change)
- crits can cause vuln, master
- gain vit based on precision, master
- ankle shots + pistol damage to crippled foes, master
- ricochet, gm
- hidden killer, gm
- invigoration precision, gm
(shadow arts)
- merciful ally + revive speed, adept
- smoke screen on down + deception CD, adept
- shadow's embrace, adept
- shadow protector, master
- descent of shadows + blinding powder on steal, master
- leeching venoms + might on venom activation, master
- cloaked in shadow, gm
- shadow's rejuvenation (health and initiative), gm
- venomous aura + venom CD, gm
(acrobatics)
- gain vigor upon successful evade, master minor
- effects of vigor enhanced, gm minor
- fleet shadow, adept
- pain response, adept
- ???
- gain resistance when attacking with full health, master
- successful evade while wielding sword reduced steal CD by fixed amount, master
- hard to catch, breaks stun and refills endurance on disable, master
- quick pockets, gm
- ???
- sometimes evade projectiles while swift, gm
(trickery)
- caltrops on dodge, adept
- flanking strikes grant haste, adept
- thrill of crime, adept
- ???
- tricks remove condis, master
- torment on interrupt, master
- regain initiative on heal, gm
- sleight of hand + steal cd, gm
- confusion on steal, gm

Ashodin

Quickness is a boon! BOON DURATION GO

Ha, keepaway thief builds will become omega-level trollospheres if that functions the way I'd interpret it.

Got an engagement party tomorrow night that will almost definitely go past all of missions, so my apologies if I don't show. Peeps just cannot stop getting married and stuff, it's just wrong I say!

It's that time of age. Past 30, everyone gets da married

also they need "DA BABAYS"

Ashodin

symbols have a chance to burn enemies? YESSS

G U A R D I A N T I M E B O Y S

Zealous Scepter - Gain might when your justice passive effect triggers while wielding a scepter. AWESOME

Binding Jeopardy - Immobilizing or blind a foe also applies vulnerability to them (merged traits)

Zealous Blade - Greatsword stuff merged

Expeditious Spirit - ALL summoned weapons traits in one

Shattered Aegis - damage foes is now grandmaster

Symbolic Avenger - deal more damage to enemies in symbols (20%)

SYMBOL GUARDIAN WILL BE A THING YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Have they confirmed it's warrior? Because I think it's more likely they will show a class that is more advanced in development, like mesmer or engineer, versus those we've seen nothing off like warrior or thief.

They started the show saying Engi is so in "flux" that it's not even far enough along to show the core specs in-game. I doubt they'll suddenly have the elite ready.

Warrior needs to stop being talked about last. Now is that chance.

Moobabe

So what zone do the 80s hang out in now? I noticed there's two new (ish) zones in Maguuma. Is that where people are doing their stuff now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom