• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd PC |OT| Get down to 4k rock!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
XX's was: Here's specific requirements to play a match. Finish the match while doing nothing but Overdrives while your health is lowering for a mission.

XXX's is: Do these things 5+ times perfectly. OH AND WE'RE GOING TO MAKE YOU HOP BACKWARDS BEFORE DOING THESE TO THROW YOU OFF! *trollface*

Yeah, XRDs seems a lot more useful? Like it's a little nitpicky, but you need to do it 4/6 times usually- which is fairly relaxing considering you'd probably want like 99% to do this stuff in an actual match.

Some of it seems a bit arbitary, but it's a step beyond 'win a match only with overdrives'. I'm not even sure if overdrives are any good in XRD- it looks like most characters want to use tension on YRCs above all else? Don't really remember Reload though, to be fair.

LegatoB

Yeah, XRDs seems a lot more useful? Like it's a little nitpicky, but you need to do it 4/6 times usually- which is fairly relaxing considering you'd probably want like 99% to do this stuff in an actual match.

Some of it seems a bit arbitary, but it's a step beyond 'win a match only with overdrives'. I'm not even sure if overdrives are any good in XRD- it looks like most characters want to use tension on YRCs above all else? Don't really remember Reload though, to be fair.
The missions in Xrd are designed to actually teach you about How To Play Guilty Gear, rather than being goofy singleplayer challenges. I can understand why someone wanting the old-style silly missions would be upset, but I much prefer the new style, even if some of the actual Missions are pretty darn contrived situations.

Overdrives certainly aren't useless, especially at low life with the Hellfire buff, but as is usual for GG, a lot of characters get far more mileage out of RCs. Especially YRC for characters with projectiles. Ky, for example: Ride the Lightning isn't bad, but unless you're gonna kill by putting it on the end of a combo, you might want to use that Tension for Charged Stun Edge YRC oki, or Stun Edge YRC at neutral.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I guess it would be nice to have both the teaching missions and the single player challenge ones, don't get me wrong, but I feel like if it 'has' to be one or the other the teachings ones seem a lot better for a bad like myself.

RM8

I don't think I'm enjoying this. ArcSys fighters are really their own thing, I enjoy most fighting games but not BB or GG :[ No one can't say I haven't tried to get into them, lol.

I have no idea how to get started with combos beyond inefficient chains. Are the challenge combos useful for using or building off of? Even tutorial videos that are supposed to teach from the beginning glaze over it.

I have no idea how to get started with combos beyond inefficient chains. Are the challenge combos useful for using or building off of? Even tutorial videos that are supposed to teach from the beginning glaze over it.

Best way to get started with combos is to look at the Dustloop wiki and forums for your character. Most challenge combos are not really optimal and there just to test your execution.

K.Sabot

Honestly, the way I learned was getting familiar with my buttons and the mechanics of the game / the ebb and flow of battle with my main and then watching match vids.

The challenge combos are horribly confusing and inefficient (in both damage and complexity).

Honestly, the way I learned was getting familiar with my buttons and the mechanics of the game / the ebb and flow of battle with my main and then watching match vids.

The challenge combos are horribly confusing and inefficient (in both damage and complexity).

So just like SFIV's.

Playing anything other than Street Fighter on a stick is still incredibly stiff.

Bleep

Has anyone had any luck with getting the online to work over the past couple of hours? It was working for my friends and I perfectly earlier, but now we can't connect to each other at all.

Moaradin

Hope they fix the connection issues and other bugs online. Playing with my friend cross country is actually very good... but it seems to have trouble finding matches when you search for random players. Region locked?

K.Sabot

So just like SFIV's.

Playing anything other than Street Fighter on a stick is still incredibly stiff.

Yeah, but there are actually things in Guilty Gear that are incredibly important that I prefer to do on pad over stick, such as instant air dashes. I find that there are actually a lot of pad GG players, and the guy who is probably the best player in America is a pad player (look up Zidane Leo).
It's all about finding a layout that's comfortable to you, whether you're using macros for stuff like roman cancel and faultless defense or doing a claw setup on your pad.

It took me a little longer when I first started playing Guilty Gear in GGAC to get a feel for the flow of battle. I've never really been able to explain it well in words, I do want to make some sort of flowchart for it so perhaps maybe someone else will pick it up quicker.

Hmm can someone help me out? A friend called me over earlier to play this in 4K (he only had the PS3 version before so he double dipped) and for my life of it I couldn't get this downsampled via GeDoSaTo o.o

I normally never have problems with using it but this time I'm COMPLETELY stumped.

I made a custom .ini for the game and put

Code:
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
overrideWidth 1280
overrideHeight 720

inside as per guide, then I switched to 1280x720 in the settings and the game gets shows up huge in the window so far it works. Though when I press ALT+Enter to go back to fullscreen we were back at 1080p and GeDoSaTo's status display said Not Downsampling.

Can people who downsample with GeDoSaTo actually press Numpad+ and see if the game really downsamples and it isn't just a placebo effect? :p

Obviously I'm kidding here but is there maybe a step I'm missing? He has a GTX 960 and I never used GeDoSaTo with nVidia cards, are there any extra steps? o.o (actually I just remembered helping a friend with a GTX 660 downsampling Last Remnant before so it can't be that...)

I contemplated getting the game myself on Steam but I do have the PS4 version and if I can't go higher than 1080p I might aswell stick to it :p

wwm0nkey

Hmm can someone help me out? A friend called me over earlier to play this in 4K (he only had the PS3 version before so he double dipped) and for my life of it I couldn't get this downsampled via GeDoSaTo o.o

I normally never have problems with using it but this time I'm COMPLETELY stumped.

Code:
overrideWidth 1280
overrideHeight 720

inside as per guide, then I switched to 1280x720 in the settings and the game gets shows up huge in the window so far it works. Though when I press ALT+Enter to go back to fullscreen we were back at 1080p and GeDoSaTo's status display said Not Downsampling.

Can people who downsample with GeDoSaTo actually press Numpad+ and see if the game really downsamples and it isn't just a placebo effect? :p

Obviously I'm kidding here but is there maybe a step I'm missing? He has a GTX 960 and I never used GeDoSaTo with nVidia cards, are there any extra steps? o.o

I contemplated getting the game myself on Steam but I do have the PS4 version and if I can't go higher than 1080p I might aswell stick to it :p
You don't make a custom ini, you update the settings in GeDoSTo

LegatoB

Code:
overrideWidth 1280
overrideHeight 720

Obviously I'm kidding here but is there maybe a step I'm missing? He has a GTX 960 and I never used GeDoSaTo with nVidia cards, are there any extra steps? o.o (actually I just remembered helping a friend with a GTX 660 downsampling Last Remnant before so it can't be that...)

I believe the problem here is the "overrideWidth/overrideHeight." When you specify those, GeDoSaTo only triggers when the game requests that specific resolution. That sounds fine, except Xrd's full-screen mode ignores what setting you picked in the menu. So what I'd do is remove the overrideWidth/overrideHeight params entirely, leaving just forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes, and then go into fullscreen mode and it should work. That's what I'm doing. It breaks Windowed mode, though. Alternatively, set the overrides to 1080p if that's what fullscreen mode is requesting.

You don't make a custom ini, you update the settings in GeDoSTo

But aren't game-specific GeDoSaTo configs supposed to superseding the main-config? Either way I'll try that tomorrow, thanks!

I believe the problem here is the "overrideWidth/overrideHeight." When you specify those, GeDoSaTo only triggers when the game requests that specific resolution. That sounds fine, except Xrd's full-screen mode ignores what setting you picked in the menu. So what I'd do is remove the overrideWidth/overrideHeight params entirely, leaving just forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes, and then go into fullscreen mode and it should work. That's what I'm doing. It breaks Windowed mode, though. Alternatively, set the overrides to 1080p if that's what fullscreen mode is requesting.

Thanks what I figured too from observing its behavior but alright thanks! I'll try that tomorrow and report back as it's almost 8pm now so I won't run back to his house :p

nded

I know you're kidding, but I figured I'd post some comparison pics anyway so people don't think we're going crazy.

tiB4X6.png

sXL4Er.png

Pardon the Steam screenshot compression.

Edit: Got some uncompressed screens.

4K Downsampled:
eDkxl4.png

1080p Native:
Z8aYQ0.png

I know you're kidding, but I figured I'd post some comparison pics anyway so people don't think we're going crazy.

Wow even in the compressed screenshots the difference is quite clear :eek: Thanks for these! :)

tariniel

I'm debating if I should pick this up or not. I've never played a GG game before, and none of my friends are interested in buying it, so I'd be on my own with randoms online. I've played a ton of SF4 and have a stick and all that.

It just looks amazing graphically. I can't get enough of looking at all the downsampled screenshots in this thread.

I'm worried that I'd get frustrated learning the way GG works or that the number of online players would dwindle quickly.

Dinjoralo

Whoa, all of a sudden my performance has gone to crap. It was running at a perfectly smooth 60 FPS yesterday, but now it's going all over the damn place unless I turn off downsampling. Anyone else getting this?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm debating if I should pick this up or not. I've never played a GG game before, and none of my friends are interested in buying it, so I'd be on my own with randoms online. I've played a ton of SF4 and have a stick and all that.

It just looks amazing graphically. I can't get enough of looking at all the downsampled screenshots in this thread.

I'm worried that I'd get frustrated learning the way GG works or that the number of online players would dwindle quickly.

...It's $25. It's the start of the third GG series. You're basically starting at a good point. Get it.

wwm0nkey

Whoa, all of a sudden my performance has gone to crap. It was running at a perfectly smooth 60 FPS yesterday, but now it's going all over the damn place unless I turn off downsampling. Anyone else getting this?
It's a memory leak, unplug your USN device and restart

wwm0nkey

So the number isn't updated just yet, but the sales according to SteamSpy are at 23,450.

Few things here, first is that this is the fastest selling Guilty Gear to date, already outselling Accent Core's total sales. And if we assume that everyone bought it for $24(we know thats no the case) they would have made almost $400k taking into account the 30% cut from Valve.

So yeah I think we are going to see more Guilty Gear on Steam if it keeps its pace, which it probably will do very well for the first month and during sales.

Skilletor

So the number isn't updated just yet, but the sales according to SteamSpy are at 23,450.

Few things here, first is that this is the fastest selling Guilty Gear to date, already outselling Accent Core's total sales. And if we assume that everyone bought it for $24(we know thats no the case) they would have made almost $400k taking into account the 30% cut from Valve.

So yeah I think we are going to see more Guilty Gear on Steam if it keeps its pace, which it probably will do very well for the first month and during sales.

I just need Revelator around launch. Don't make us wait forever for it. ASW plz

wwm0nkey

Well sales for this are probably already satisfactory, so if it is a delayed launch it will probably be by a few months, so around Summer.

Though again this is doing pretty well so they could always push it back to late Spring for a simultaneous launch since we haven't gotten an exact date yet.

Schedules can always change :)

Nyoro SF

Sadly I don't think it's going to match console date. They already announced their full up-to-summer-2016 PC fighter lineup (scrunching all these already-released fighters together might have a dampening effect on sales) and I think we're probably going to get Revelator at Fall 2016 at the earliest.

That being said this release of Xrd has confirmed for me that there is no need to own a console for a fighter ever and I really don't mind waiting until fall as not only will I have Melty Blood to play in the meanwhile, but Elphelt has hardly changed between releases so there's no reason not to practice her now in SIGN. heh

Shredderi

Some top CoD performance by Elphelt from NEC2015 grand final:
http://webmshare.com/play/r66RJ

I hate Elphie. Not the character aesthetic but my friend is too good at using her various tools against my lumbering Potemkin :|

Is the game very demanding to downsample from 4k? I have a single 970.

Skilletor

Sadly I don't think it's going to match console date. They already announced their full up-to-summer-2016 PC fighter lineup (scrunching all these already-released fighters together might have a dampening effect on sales) and I think we're probably going to get Revelator at Fall 2016 at the earliest.

That being said this release of Xrd has confirmed for me that there is no need to own a console for a fighter ever and I really don't mind waiting until fall as not only will I have Melty Blood to play in the meanwhile, but Elphelt has hardly changed between releases so there's no reason not to practice her now in SIGN. heh

I'll never give up consoles, just too convenient, but it is nice to have so many good fighters on a platform I'll never have to worry about sticks. I'd be fine with Fall for Revelator.

Just need Namco to hop on board the PC train. TTT2 is begging for a PC release. The IQ on consoles is just so bad.

SarusGray

Consoles are where the main fighting playerbase is at :O.

NotLiquid

I'm never going to be able to pull off air dash cancelling. Maybe its just me playing with a stick but I dunno. Comboing can be painful.

Still love the game. Like all fighters I'm pretty terrible at them, especially ArcSys ones, but I'm enjoying it strongly. Millia is still my go to GG character.

Also, is there any reason to downsample even if your resolution is 1080p? Not sure if I can really get the visual fidelity much higher.

Nyoro SF

Consoles are where the main fighting playerbase is at :O.

I don't really care about who has the biggest population numbers as long as I can find good matches. Plus niche games always reduce in size to small numbers on both console and PC, believe me, P4AU's rank matches died out in less than a month.

I'll never give up consoles, just too convenient, but it is nice to have so many good fighters on a platform I'll never have to worry about sticks. I'd be fine with Fall for Revelator.

Just need Namco to hop on board the PC train. TTT2 is begging for a PC release. The IQ on consoles is just so bad.

For me though, I don't ever want to pay for online and cloud saves ever again, so for that I really look forward to any excuse to avoid it, even if I have to wait several months after console release for Revelator I really don't mind (agreeing with you on that part).

I really like the look and style of Melty Blood gameplay so I'm sure that will be a nice stopgap while we wait for ASW to drop Revelator. Thankfully ASW is getting experience porting titles right now and since Revelator is the same game as SIGN with an updated UI and characters porting it should be 100x easier after porting SIGN. If they do delay Revelator into fall or past that it will be for business reasons, not technical ones... and obviously they won't announce Revelator's release date and timing so close to SIGN's release if you want people to buy SIGN. So we could be waiting a while.

tl;dr not going to bother with console since ASW's PC support is robust (though technically flawed in some areas) even if Revelator comes late

I'm never going to be able to pull off air dash cancelling. Maybe its just me playing with a stick but I dunno. Comboing can be painful.

Still love the game. Like all fighters I'm pretty terrible at them, especially ArcSys ones, but I'm enjoying it strongly. Millia is still my go to GG character.

Also, is there any reason to downsample even if your resolution is 1080p? Not sure if I can really get the visual fidelity much higher.

I use downsampling with gedosato following a tutorial and it does work in cleaning up the last of the fuzzies on characters and the background. That being said the terrible UI is the real dealbreaker and that has to be fixed by ASW; poor pixelated Elphelt face in lobbies lol

Even the character art in the select screen is fuzzy and not high quality...

Dinjoralo

I don't think we have much to go on about if/when Relevator will come to PC. This is the first time ASW have released a game on PC in a series that's still on-going, barring GGXX Reloaded (which ASW was apparently not involved with on PC, and didn't even come out in the US on PC until 2014) and Arcana Heart 3 (which they didn't develop).

Though honestly, seeing how fast this managed to sell despite no fucks being given in promoting it, I'd like to think they're considering it.

Momentary

Banned
New numbers, game has sold 29,418 copies according to SteamSpy

With a ± 4,169 margin of error. But It's looking good for the 5th day. There will probably be a big influx in sales on the last day for people trying to catch the discount.

Week one JP Sales:

[PS3] Guilty Gear Xrd (Arc System Works) {2014.12.04} - 27,278 / NEW

[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd (Arc System Works) {2014.12.04} - 12,638 / NEW

It was able to pull 100,000 in Japan by September.

Wonder what it is for worldwide numbers.

tariniel

Bit the bullet, set up GeDoSaTo and played through the tutorial and a few challenges. It looks very nice.

I have a question about GeDoSaTo overrideWidth and overrideHeight - are these the resolution that the UI renders at? I have the rest of the game rendering at '4480x2520@60' and it looks amazing, except the character health bars and their avatars next to them. If I increase the overrides will that improve that?

Also, does any character here play like Hazama from BB? Also I played Bison in SF4 series, so if there's any similar characters please let me know. Right now I think I'll try to complete 15 challenges for each character and then pick the one I liked the best.

Skilletor

firsty time i joined lobby i get the feeling it's shit. just my brief impression

lobby system I mean

I love he lobby system, especially when you've got lots of people waiting. Always getting games in, or just chill and watch people play. It's the best.

Momentary

Banned
I love he lobby system, especially when you've got lots of people waiting. Always getting games in, or just chill and watch people play. It's the best.

Yeah... I've gotten used to the lobby thing and really like how it's set up. Other than the hiccups that is.

Dinjoralo

I wonder what ArcSys'll do if the "niche" market manages to do better in launch sales than the "primary" market did back in 2014. Eat their hats?

Top Bottom