• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd PC |OT| Get down to 4k rock!

Trickster

Trying to learn the game via trials and tutorials is really annoying when using my fight stick. It keeps changing between the 360 button symbols and the keyboard letters. I kinda wish it would just show the attack type, such as K for the kick attack and P for punch.

Someone do a quick check and see how much it takes to unlock Sin/Elph/Leo with in game currency.

Trying to learn the game via trials and tutorials is really annoying when using my fight stick. It keeps changing between the 360 button symbols and the keyboard letters. I kinda wish it would just show the attack type, such as K for the kick attack and P for punch.

There was an option for this in the PS3 version I'm pretty sure.

Dr Dogg

Urgh why am up this late oh that's right. Hold your horses!

Default State = 1920x1080 Windowed said:
23016096823_cc275cd4f4_o.png
So really trying to find a 3d rendered object to see if things are working and at default 1920x1080 looks like above.
Fullscreen Selected In Game to 2560x1440 said:
Now that is the highest enumerated resolution setting and the only other option is fullscreen. Seeing as the monitor I've got plugged in is 2560x1440 I thought I'd see what it looks like and doesn't look like it's been rendered at that resolution despite the screen capture saved at 2560x1440.
Ini faffery at 5120x2880 said:
So thank your lucky stars it's on UE3 as you can go and edit the settings files. No elevated settings as far as I can tell but what gets updated is ..\SteamApps\Common\Guilty Gear Xrd\REDGame\Config\REDSystemSettings.ini and look for ResX= and ResY= and adjust them respectively to your desired rendering resolution. Now doing it this way you will also need Fullscreen=True and have to check the file as read only and set your desktop resolution to the one you want to render to as the game would switch back to 1920x1080 if I didn't do that. You could set up a profile in GeDoSaTo to forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes and that should do the trick hopefully but it's 2:30 in the morning and I haven't got time to test it.

Dizzy-4U

Maybe it's detecting mouse movement? Turn it upside down.

LegatoB

You can set it to use P/K/S etc. in the pause menu.

Urgh why am up this late oh that's right. Hold your horses!

So really trying to find a 3d rendered object to see if things are working and at default 1920x1080 looks like above.

Now that is the highest enumerated resolution setting and the only other option is fullscreen. Seeing as the monitor I've got plugged in is 2560x1440 I thought I'd see what it looks like and doesn't look like it's been rendered at that resolution despite the screen capture saved at 2560x1440.

So thank your lucky stars it's on UE3 as you can go and edit the settings files. No elevated settings as far as I can tell but what gets updated is ..\SteamApps\Common\Guilty Gear Xrd\REDGame\Config\REDSystemSettings.ini and look for ResX= and ResY= and adjust them respectively to your desired rendering resolution. Now doing it this way you will also need Fullscreen=True and have to check the file as read only and set your desktop resolution to the one you want to render to as the game would switch back to 1920x1080 if I didn't do that. You could set up a profile in GeDoSaTo to forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes and that should do the trick hopefully but it's 2:30 in the morning and I haven't got time to test it.

Mine is already reading 3840x2160 in the ini and mine is set to "fullscreen" in the options in the game.

I think the problem is that the UI was created for 1080p or lower, so it looks huge on the display. You're not actually seeing 3d until you get into a match. the character select is 2d captures of the 3d models. they look better in the match.

edit - For clarification, I'm using a 4k display. If you're downsampling then yeah you would need to do the ini edit.

Pachimari

Aww, fullscreen seems to only go up to 1080p for me. That's my monitor's native res, but I do have an extra resolution above that set up for downsampling. Hopefully this is something more to do with the game's autodetection than an actual lock.
How do you add an extra resolution in Windows 10? Is it the Gedosato downsampling?

Dr Dogg

Mine is already reading 3840x2160 in the ini and mine is set to "fullscreen" in the options in the game.

I think the problem is that the UI was created for 1080p or lower, so it looks huge on the display. You're not actually seeing 3d until you get into a match. the character select is 2d captures of the 3d models. they look better in the match.

Despite my ini file stating the resolution I selected it certainly didn't render at that resolution. Also the globe is what I'm looking at one the character select screen as it's a 3d model. Go compare all 3 images and you'll see there's next to no difference between the first 2 but a massive jump up in quality for the third.

k4n3

Banned
i picked it up for 15$ for ps4 last week otherwise id probably get it jesus does that look amazing downsampled

Buburibon

My ini was also already set to 3840x2160 and fullscreen, but I'm afraid the game isn't actually rendering at 4K. It doesn't look any different than 1080p, including the RTSS overlay which should appear smaller at 2160p. GPU usage is in the teens, too.

Should just about any arcade stick work? Mine is a USB board since I put the stick together myself (never tried plugging it into a 360 or PS3) and it works fine for Ultra and KoF XIII, but might as well be sure.

No giant lobbies in this port, huh? Bummer. Ah well. Haven't tried the netcode yet but it runs really well and it's noticeably prettier than the PS3 version.

My impressions on the game:

Optimization: The game seems to be at slick 60fps on my end and so far zero glitches, so that means the game isn't likely to be an Arkham Knight situation. However as others have said, I'm not sure if the game can be downsampled, at least via menu. It goes from 1080p to "Full Screen". I'm not sure if the game is running at 4k or not for me. I have a MadCatz FightStick Pro and it didn't take long for the game to recognize it. However the button's they choose to select things through the menu is odd. Instead of the top left button on the stick or the "Enter" key for select the game uses the second bottom on the bottom left to select and the "U" key as select. To go back it is the first button left button on the arcade stick and the "esc" key on the keyboard. Strange for the former, and would be sensible with the latter if select wasn't already tied to a letter. It is very odd. With a game controller it seems that they have thing right with "A" being enter and other buttons being similar.

Online: The netcode gave a very very bad impression for me, at least in the very beginning. I couldn't connect to anyone's game. However once I found a player lobby that I could connect to things were smoothed. Never lost connection. Frame lag delays ranged from 1 to 5. Maybe this is launch jitters or something else... That said starting a match is easy. Players can play almost instantaneously with little waiting. It plays like a virtual arcade where as soon as one match is over someone in the "waiting room" choose whether or not they want to take the open spot. Pretty creative.

Graphics: The game is by far and wide the best looking cel-shaded game on the planet, period. It is the only game to date that fools me whether or not it is 2D. I played Skullgirls right after it and while Guilty Gear Xrd's "3Dness" became more apparent it really isn't detrimental at all. Excited to see what directions they'll take their new technique. Unfortunately the game's animations are bad at times, especially the intros. This isn't just comparing it to games like Street Fighter IV and Skullgirls, but to any form of animation really. It seems that the cutscenes run at 8fps and that isn't an exaggeration. On the plus side the backgrounds in the game are beautiful. I've only seen half a dozen and almost all of them are great and memorable.

Gameplay: Maybe it is because it has been six years since I have had the choice between "Heaven or Hell", but Guilty Gear Xrd feels...slow to me. I don't know if it is because I have invested so much time into Skullgirls or what but it feels that with the exception of Millia and Chip the characters run slow, don't jump very far, and there is a split-second delay in their attacks. The game doesn't "feel" as tight as I remember. But I'm sure I'll get used to the game and change my opinion later.

Tain

This game looks awfully sharp at 1440p.

Even totally ignoring the UI elements you can see that ArcSys, through the composition of models and textures and everything in general, very much targeted a 1080p (or even 720p) final resolution. The seams start to show a little at 1440p, but it still looks wonderful.

So does the PC port warrant a new OT? I wasn't sure how much buzz it would have but being at the top of Steam's Best Seller list feels like quite a few people are being exposed to the game for the first time.

wamberz1

Online: The netcode gave a very very bad impression for me, at least in the very beginning. I couldn't connect to anyone's game. However once I found a player lobby that I could connect to things were smoothed. Never lost connection. Frame lag delays ranged from 1 to 5. Maybe this is launch jitters or something else... That said starting a match is easy. Players can play almost instantaneously with little waiting. It plays like a virtual arcade where as soon as one match is over someone in the "waiting room" choose whether or not they want to take the open spot. Pretty creative.

It seems like the online is a bit wonky right now, I keep getting dc'd from my entry. hopefully it gets better tomorrow.

My ini was also already set to 3840x2160 and fullscreen, but I'm afraid the game isn't actually rendering at 4K. It doesn't look any different than 1080p, including the RTSS overlay which should appear smaller at 2160p. GPU usage is in the teens, too.

RTSS captured in 4k for me and the OSD is smaller than it is if I force it to 1080p

Essay

Works pretty well on my original-run Lenovo Y50 laptop, plugged into the same Evo Monitor I plug into my PS3/PS4. Vsync ON produced the combo timing I'm used to in console, holding at 60fps decently enough on the traditionally less-laggy stages (Japan, Central Organ Tower) but with occasional abnormalities and drops. Vsync OFF garnered more than 3 frames of input delay, going by educated-feel, running at a stable 60fps according to the counter.

Netplay with someone maybe ~500km away, with whom I usually get 2-3 frame delay, felt similar to console for the most part, but I believe my system started to lag down to 52-54fps towards the end (keeping at 2 frame net-delay in the counter), producing slowdown on both ends.

Moaradin

Playing my friend online. He's from California and I'm in Florida, and we're getting a pretty consistent 3f delay. Not bad!

Buburibon

RTSS captured in 4k for me and the OSD is smaller than it is if I force it to 1080p

I see, thanks. I'm going to give GeDoSaTo a try then. Now, what's really bothering me are the "PS3 quality" UI/2D assets. We're essentially running the PS3 version at a higher resolution.

I see, thanks. I'm going to give GeDoSaTo a try then. Now, what's really bothering me are the "PS3 quality" UI/2D assets. We're essentially running the PS3 version at higher a resolution.
No I believe it's actually the arcade versions assets. The arcade version was 720p.

The ps3 version looked noticeably inferior to the arcade release.

El Sabroso

No I believe it's actually the arcade versions assets. The arcade version was 720p.

The ps3 version looked noticeably inferior to the arcade release.

Arcade is straight off a Windows App, so that makes a lot of sense actually, this might be why character select screen looks kinda low res in the selectable portraits

Arcade is straight off a Windows App, so that makes a lot of sense actually, this might be why character select screen looks kinda low res in the selectable portraits
Yes it was all made for 720p. But honestly the ps4 version still retains a lot of the 720p assets.(like the character portraits) so it doesn't look that much better.

Top Bottom