• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd PC |OT| Get down to 4k rock!

I don't know much about Street Fighter, as I am a Tekken guy, but is it basically a special attack with fancy camera angles?

Tension lets you do Overdrive attacks, which are like super moves (takes 1/2 gauge to use it), and 1/4 bar to do certain Roman Cancels, which the game does a good job of explaining. You can also block with holding 2 (I think?) buttons to block in a way that doesn't chip your damage so much, but burns whatever Tension you have.

Oh, and don't stand still staring at the opponent, it'll give you a Negative Penalty and reset your Tension to zero. The game's tutorial mode is the best way to learn all of the ins and outs of it.

Tizoc

I don't know much about Street Fighter, as I am a Tekken guy, but is it basically a special attack with fancy camera angles?

Wow, there's so much to remember and I'm only halfway through the tutorial. At least I remember where the Slash, Heavy Slash, Punch, Kick, Dash and Taunt buttons are on my arcade stick. I still don't know what the Tension meter actually do though.

The Tension meter is your 'super gauge'.
It builds up as you walk towards your opponent or perform special moves or attack them (either your attacks hit or block will build meter).
Meter is mainly expended to use the game's Roman Cancel system, which allows you to cancel ANY attack or special move whether it connects it on an opponent or not.

For example, you could do Potemkin's Fwd+K and do a Roman Cancel (costs 25% of the Tension meter if it doesn't hit anything) and he'll cancel that animation to let you go into another move.

Pachimari

Tension lets you do Overdrive attacks, which are like super moves (takes 1/2 gauge to use it), and 1/4 bar to do certain Roman Cancels, which the game does a good job of explaining. You can also block with holding 2 (I think?) buttons to block in a way that doesn't chip your damage so much, but burns whatever Tension you have.

Oh, and don't stand still staring at the opponent, it'll give you a Negative Penalty and reset your Tension to zero. The game's tutorial mode is the best way to learn all of the ins and outs of it.

Yeah, I'm going through the tutorial currently, and is halfway through.

The Tension meter is your 'super gauge'.
It builds up as you walk towards your opponent or perform special moves or attack them (either your attacks hit or block will build meter).
Meter is mainly expended to use the game's Roman Cancel system, which allows you to cancel ANY attack or special move whether it connects it on an opponent or not.

For example, you could do Potemkin's Fwd+K and do a Roman Cancel (costs 25% of the Tension meter if it doesn't hit anything) and he'll cancel that animation to let you go into another move.

Really smart actually. My head just have to get around all of this stuff. A lot to take in, but now I know about the Tension. It got many uses.

Really smart actually. My head just have to get around all of this stuff. A lot to take in, but now I know about the Tension. It got many uses.

I'm a Tekken player too, you'll get used to the mechanics in no time man!

So, gonna make that OT, Tizoc?

Tizoc

I'm a Tekken player too, you'll get used to the mechanics in no time man!

So, gonna make that OT, Tizoc?

Either we make a Steam ver. Discussion thread, or the game can be discussed in the original OT, I'm not that much of a pro in GG, more of an SNK/Capcom guy, but I do what I can in this game :3

While I don't recommend it, if you watch high level play you will notice A LOT of the time the players are using Roman Cancels than they would super moves; this is one thing that sets apart from fighters like KoF or Street Fighter.

It'll take time but eventually Roman Canceling will be 2nd nature to you in this game, so take your time getting the hang of it ^^;

One more tidbit: The lower your health is from your opponent's, the less damage you take from your opponent's attacks. Can't remember if you lose this defensive buff if both players have equal health values @_@

Either we make a Steam ver. Discussion thread, or the game can be discussed in the original OT, I'm not that much of a pro in GG, more of an SNK/Capcom guy, but I do what I can in this game :3

Aww, I wanted some crazy OT, given that this is the first prophecy come true from Arc Sys's Weeb Week declarations, but I guess MB and UNIEL will get that treatment.

Korigama

Anyone want to provide a quick breakdown of Guilty Gear vs Blazblue? I'very played a little Blazblue but have never played a Guilty Gear. Is GG more popular in the states? Looks like it made Evo last year while BB didnt.
Though I can't speak on whether GG is still more popular than BB in the US (BB is the more popular one in Japan at this point, fairly certain of that), I can say that the BB community's dissatisfaction with the balance changes going from Chrono Phantasma to Chrono Phantasma Extend was what led to it not being featured as a main game at Evo 2015 in favor of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax as the other anime game alongside GGXrd -SIGN-. Given the fact that Atlus seem to have no intention of having the console release of P4AU patched to the arcade's version 2.0, I doubt that that game will be back next year.
BB is more popular than GG in Japan because of many reasons including it's leniency compared to GG but GG did have a very booming scene in the early-mid 2000's where people who you don't think would play anime games today was playing it. But today, I would say GG in America is more popular than BB.

BB does borrow aspects of GG but BB is a lot more combo heavy with a simpler control scheme and increased ??hit time?? (cant think of the right word) to make doing combo's easier while GG is more focused on trapping your opponent in the corner and forcing them to guess which way to block.

I personally cant stand BB. I think the matches are boring since combo's tend to take FOREVER and the characters are boring.
Input window?

That said, I would say that BB is only more lenient compared to the GGXX games, particularly when compared to Accent Core. Between Xrd and BB as of BBCPEX, I'd say Xrd is the more approachable game, even with Xrd's equivalent of BB's simplified Stylish Mode control option not being made available until -REVELATOR- hit arcades a while back. The fact that the Rapid Cancels in BB operate like the old GG Roman Cancels in that the fight continues at the same pace after using them, whereas the Roman Cancels in Xrd cause the fight to slow down briefly depending on the type performed, is one reason I'd consider Xrd more friendly to newcomers. Other than this, I'd say that how the Drive mechanics in BB cause everyone to vary so drastically in how they play and control also makes the learning curve more steep in BB than GGXrd, even after accounting for how each character in Xrd is also unique in his or her execution.

To be honest, I got burnt out on BB after CSII several years ago, but I've been enjoying CPEX after picking that up recently. The base mechanics have been overhauled pretty significantly, with the game being a bit faster compared to the games before Chrono Phantasma, along with them finally being able to decide on a more practical guard crush mechanic through the addition of Crush Trigger attacks (much better than that Guard Primer crap that the CS games used). Burst no longer being tied to Barrier in favor of choosing between it and the new Overdrive mechanic is also welcome. Additionally, I'd also say the combo length is more reasonable compared to the older games (certainly doesn't seem any worse than Xrd in that regard). I'm not sure if it's how the characters played that you didn't care for, or a combination of that and design and/or personalities on display, but I'd say that the chances of finding at least one enjoyable character are much higher than they've been up until now, so BBCPEX is worth looking into if you're looking for something else to play.

I'd probably rank the recent Arc-developed fighters on consoles something like this:

GGXrd -SIGN- = BBCPEX > P4AU

Papstr

Neo Member
So what is the Revelator track ? Is it something new or ?

"Wanna Be Crazy" it's the song from the Revelator opening trailer (the one that also announced Jam for the first time) and oh my god I am in love with it.

One more tidbit: The lower your health is from your opponent's, the less damage you take from your opponent's attacks. Can't remember if you lose this defensive buff if both players have equal health values @_@

Every character has the same health value (420) but different defense values. So a move will do more damage to say, Millia, than it would Sol, with Potemkin taking even less. As your health bar gets lower, you also have another modifier called Guts that further reduces damage. it doesn't matter how your two healths compare. You just take less when lower.

You can use the original OT or ask Volcynika to use his stuff from the OT for a steam OT, you'd only need to change few infos and switch some images with ones from the PC version.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944719

Thanks for the info, but I don't really feel comfortable making threads yet. I more so was just curious of Tizoc would make some off-the-wall topic like he did with Melty Blood's announcement, but since the OT is in Community now it would be nice to have some new thread in Discussions to talk about the game in besides just hiding out in this one.

didamangi

Okay, forcing anisotropic level in gedosato helps. UI is definitely cleaner. (forceAnisoLevel 16)

Check out the gears in the center of the health bar. Different screenshots but you can tell the difference for sure.

Before:
5524847333CC19E2C593C8AD2B2330E11F0BD8AA

After:

Momentary

Banned
Okay, forcing anisotropic level in gedosato helps. UI is definitely cleaner. (forceAnisoLevel 16)

Check out the gears in the center of the health bar. Different screenshots but you can tell the difference for sure.

Before:

After:

Can it downsample the game too? I've added it to the white list, but I don't seen anything going on with my resolution.

Sayad

Before:

After:
Huh! Why would anisotropic filtering affect the UI! That might just be the tutorial using a different sprite from the one used in regular matches since it lack some of the features needed there. That or it's just a scaling/res thing.

didamangi

Can it downsample the game too? I've added it to the white list, but I don't seen anything going on with my resolution.

You can but it's a little complicated.

You have to set:
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
overrideWidth 1280
overrideHeight 720

Then in game change the resolution to 1280x720, confirm, after the game changes to window mode press alt+enter. it should downsample to the lowest renderResolution in your gedosato setting (default is 3200x1800@60) if you want to downsample to 4k or beyond, you have to disable the lowest resolution in the setting. (just type # in front of the resolution)

Maybe somebody else can find a way to make this a little simpler using different settings, but this works for me.

Huh! Why would anisotropic filtering affect the UI! That might just be the tutorial using a different sprite from the one used in regular matches since it lack some of the features needed there. That or it's just a scaling/res thing.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=639

Mohasus

It did affect the HUD in FFXIII too.

Nyoro SF

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the netcode is better in this version. No longer relying on shit PS3 packet handling, no more wi-fi users proliferating 80%+ of lobbies, no more unreliable PSN period...

Elixist

man the menu controls for keyboard are awful. arrows enter and esc are always default ASW come on... gorgeous game, 2d fighters always so fun with a mechanical keyboard. gonna go play sum mo.

synce

This is based on the PS4 version right? I think I recall something about a difference with the PS3. Hoping they didn't go the Tecmo route with this

zoobzone

This is based on the PS4 version right? I think I recall something about a difference with the PS3. Hoping they didn't go the Tecmo route with this

Can't tell, but I'm sure there isnt a Image Quality/Performance option in PS4 where it is present on both PC and PS3.

Sayad

Can't tell, but I'm sure there isnt a Image Quality/Performance option in PS4 where it is present on both PC and PS3.
PS3 version didn't have outlines on background characters, but that could easily be added on. If someone can post pictures of May's stage variations we can tell which version was ported, as some variations were PS3 or PS4 exclusive.

Seyavesh

changing the resx and resy in the REDSystemSettings.ini stuff does nothing to bring the resolution up, even w/ fullscreen + desktop resolution switching.
any ideas, folks?

in exchange here's something you can do:
to remove the lifebars, go into REDgame.ini and set bShowHUD to false
you'll still have the STAGE 1 / JOIN NOW thing though

see:
FjaOb4T.jpg

Zanosuke

Hmm why can't I change it to PS-controller button prompts? Seems really strange since is the original was on both PS3 and PS4..

Dr Dogg

You can but it's a little complicated.

You have to set:
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
overrideWidth 1280
overrideHeight 720

Then in game change the resolution to 1280x720, confirm, after the game changes to window mode press alt+enter. it should downsample to the lowest renderResolution in your gedosato setting (default is 3200x1800@60) if you want to downsample to 4k or beyond, you have to disable the lowest resolution in the setting. (just type # in front of the resolution)

Maybe somebody else can find a way to make this a little simpler using different settings, but this works for me.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing but setting the games settings file to a windowed resolution of 1280x720, write protected the file and force fullscreen and was all hunky dory. Oddly despite specifying rendering resolution in a profile for Xrd it just gets ignored. Haven't really look into why but really it's no great shakes for me doing a little housekeeping before launch.

Resolution is such a nice thing.

Game deserves a way to take hudless screenshots.

Sure is.

Can't find a decent PShash that removes all of the HUD without effecting something. Can get rid of everything bar the the character portraits, healthbars and timer. But that looks to be drawn really early.

Sayad

Resolution is such a nice thing.

Game deserves a way to take hudless screenshots.

Can't find a decent PShash that removes all of the HUD without effecting something. Can get rid of everything bar the the character portraits, healthbars and timer. But that looks to be drawn really early.
When you pause in the console version, there's an option to remove the hud(just during the pause). Can't remember if it removes just the pause menu or the UI too though.

Raytow

The disparity between the actual game and the UI is pretty incredible.

It's like I'm playing a PSP port here.
It seems according to the forums that the UI is straight outta the PS3 version, still that would mean 720p, it can't be that ugly upscaled to 1080p right? so probably a bug or something.

Dr Dogg

When you pause in the console version, there's an option to remove the hud(just during the pause). Can't remember if it removes just the pause menu or the UI too though.

Ohhh nice. I'll have a look when I get in. Someone earlier did post the values to alter in the UI.ini to remove it so there's definitely ways to, not ideal as you'd be lacking critical info but I like to live dangerously.

Falk

that puzzling face
It seems according to the forums that the UI is straight outta the PS3 version, still that would mean 720p, it can't be that ugly upscaled to 1080p right? so probably a bug or something.

That's baiscally what nearest neighbor pixel resize looks like

edit: On closer inspection, some elements are properly filtered, while others are simple nearest neighbor. Check this out (zoomed another 400% to make it easier to see)

Zh2J5VN.png

The background (top, left) has proper filtering, while the foreground is nearest neighbor.

Going from 720 to 1080 is an even 3:2 resize, which means the rows and columns alternate between 1 and 2 pixels wide/tall in the result, which... is really ugly.

Applying a proper resize filter would be a very simple fix. Although starting with higher res assets would be way better. (Not familiar enough with the PS4 version to know if it's native 1080p assets there)

edit2: Left side is closer to what it SHOULD look like with proper filtering from 720p to 1080p. Right side is original screenshot for comparison

0pEHY8T.png
JPkyEsY.png

It's not a perfect example because I did it in a hurry and probably messed up at least a few rows/columns, and the filter itself isn't too good, but you get the general idea.

KainXVIII

Someone need to compare PS4 UI and PC version with Gedosato UI resizing.

I'm glad to hear some positive impressions on the netcode so far, gonna wait for more before getting it.

Tested it with some JPN matches on my side and it seems as good as PS4, was getting 1-2f delay and it felt fine. Would be curious to try it with you if you get it for that West Coast-Japan netcode test.

Top Bottom