• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guwange (XBLA) |OT|

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header: Pending/Wanted/Needed

What is Guwange?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guwange

Guwange (ぐわんげ?) is an vertical scrolling shooter developed by Cave and published by Atlus in 1999.

The story of Guwange is set during the Muromachi period of Japan. During this time, increasing numbers of people suffer possession by shikigami. Although the shikigami grant great spiritual powers, the strain inflicted on the host causes them to die exactly one year after possession. However, a legend has sprung up regarding Guwange, the malevolent god trapped in Mt. Gokumon (i.e. Hell Gate). If one possessed by a shikigami can gather talismans of the five Chinese elements--wood, fire, earth, metal, water--from five demons serving Guwange, then infiltrate Gokumon and slay Guwange, the shikigami will be destroyed and the one possessed will not suffer a premature death.

Unlike most other shooters, the player can shoot in any of eight directions, rather than only forward. In addition, the screen will often scroll horizontally, or even diagonally, depending on the course the protagonists must take to reach the demon leader. Each character has a limited bomb attack in the form of a rapid pulse of energy spheres that, like the normal shot, can be sent in any direction, and will dispel any bullets it touches. Another special attack involves sending the shikigami into the midst of the enemies, with two particular advantages. First, the shikigami does not have to attack in the same direction as the player is firing, and can even get past obstacles that would otherwise thwart normal shots. Second, if an enemy projectile touches the shikigami, it will turn purple and be drastically slowed down until it gets past the shikigami. This is crucial for making enemy shot patterns manageable. In addition, if an enemy is slain while any of its shots are slowed, those shots will become point bonuses.

Release Date, Price, XBLA Features
http://www.1up.com/news/japanese-shooter-guwange-coming-xbla

Japanese developer Cave, known for "bullet-hell" scrolling arcade shooters, announced today that the company will be releasing Guwange on Xbox Live Arcade worldwide on November 10th for 800 Microsoft points ($10).

Unlike most shooters, Guwange is set in historical Japan and features creatures and demons instead of spaceships and robots. The game was originally released in Japanese arcades back in 1999, but it proved to be the most popular response when producer Makoto Asada asked for players' input in a survey last year.

Besides the original arcade version, two new modes will be included in this port. "Xbox 360 mode" will be customized for novices, setting the characters to auto-fire so that players can focus on evading enemy attacks. For the experts, there's "Blue mode" which is an extra-hard version that was only shown to the public at a fan event in Tokyo.

Screenshots:
guwange.jpg

ddpdf_theme.jpg

guwange4.jpg

guwange6.jpg

guwange7.jpg

guwange9.jpg

guwange11.jpg

Video (Arcade Version Showcased)

Guwange (Stage 1, Kosame, +2740 Chain, No Miss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTLD8AmJ-Ig

Guwange (Stage 2, Kosame, +4419 Chain, No Miss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KiOeV16aQ&feature=related

Guwange (Stage 3, Kosame, +7707 Chain, No Miss)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhqo1guxzOY&feature=related

Guwange - Final Stage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv_5abHnvsM&feature=fvw

Siliconaera Interview
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/20/makoto-asada-discusses-guwange-and-answers-your-cave-questions/

Guwange is coming out on Xbox Live Arcade soon and that’s awesome. But, I’m not sure everyone is familiar with the title. Can you get us up to speed with the concept and share where the idea for the setting came from?

Makoto Asada, Producer: Guwange’s setting was designed by Junya Inoue who was also the designer of Deathsmiles and other titles for CAVE. When it was released, the motivation was to base the game off of Japanese culture, add fictional monsters to the mix and give a unique flare to the game setting, something different from the games we had put out up until that point.

What new features and modes does Guwange have on Xbox 360?

XBLA Guwange will also include a "Blue" version which was previously only available at certain press events as well as a 360 version of Guwange which is based around playing with a 360 controller. The 360 mode allows you to control both your character and your character’s avatar (Shikigami).

We’ve also put some pretty nice graphics options into the XBLA release to improve the horizontal viewing options. These allow you to display a zoomed-in window of your score, life count and more to the left or right of the main window. I hope people check these options out.

It is also of course the first time the game will appear in English or be sold overseas.

Did Cave enhance the graphics at all like other Xbox 360 releases?

Since the game is being released on XBLA, we did not upgrade the graphics to high definition.

A lot of my readers asked why isn’t Cave releasing games on (insert platform here). Instead of listing those out, why did Cave pick Xbox 360 and iPhone OS as their primary platforms?

With regards to the Xbox 360, CAVE’s main target is the domestic audience. Here in Japan, the Xbox 360 has the largest concentration of shooter players, and that’s the main reason we keep releasing games for it.

Guwange is a new business model for us, and we will be testing the XBLA waters with its release.

Since it was requested so much by my readers I have to ask… why isn’t Cave releasing games on PSN?

We don’t think there are more users who are interested in our games on PSN than there are on XBLA.

Will we see more digitally distributed Cave titles, pending on a successful launch of Guwange?

We are going to continue release package games, but you will see more XBLA games as well.

Achievements:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/guwange/achievements/
There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Shishin's Technique 10
Clear the game using Shishin.

Kosame's Technique 10
Clear the game using Kosame.

Gensuke's Technique 10
Clear the game using Gensuke.

The Great Statue 5
Destroy the Great Statue in Stage 3!

Money Grubber 10
Connected a 10,000 coin combo!

Cash Fiend 20
Connect a 30,000 coin combo!

Grind for the Gold! 15
Score 25,000,000 points!

Pocket Change 15
Collect 1000 coins during a boss battle.

Secret Achievements
Secret Achievement 10
Continue playing to unlock this secret achievement.

Secret Achievement 50

Secret Achievement 25

Secret Achievement 20

Reviews: Edge Magazine UK: 8 out of 10

GameZone: 7 out of 10
http://xbox.gamezone.com/reviews/item/guwange_review/

TommyT

Is this just a direct port over to the 360 O_O?!

what the...

Did Cave enhance the graphics at all like other Xbox 360 releases?

Since the game is being released on XBLA, we did not upgrade the graphics to high definition.

Risette

A Good Citizen
head.gif

Here's a good header/banner from Cave's blog.

Also, you have a picture of the Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu premium theme (this picture: http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2010/10/13/ddpdf_theme.jpg)
TommyT said:

what the...
Kinda. Graphically, Cave only does HD redraws for their retail releases; and even the Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets double pack is going to use the original arcade assets. Gamewise, there's two new modes included.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
TommyT said:

what the...

No, two new modes have been added, XBOX 360 Mode for Beginners and Blue Mode for Experts.

(the premium theme in the OP is for Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu, FYI)

Game will be awesome. I'm curious to see what the achievements are. I'm surprised they haven't leaked yet.

hipgnosis

Nice thread! This title is my most anticipated game this year, can't wait! It'll be interesting to see what kind of modes Cave is including in this.

I think Edge gave this game a 8, might want to add that to the OP.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
hipgnosis said:
Nice thread! This title is my most anticipated game this year, can't wait! It'll be interesting to see what kind of modes Cave is including in this.

I think Edge gave this game a 8, might want to add that to the OP.

I would if you can confirmed that score.

HYPE GET!! :D

Really, really looking forward to this! Anyone without a J-360 who was praying for region-free Cave retail releases need to put their money where their mouth is for this and give it loads of support :)

TommyT

Watched the videos... seems like a fun enough game. Was just shocked to see it look like that with 360 buttons :\

Risette

A Good Citizen
For those who care, Asada said this port was nearly 100% arcade accurate in terms of slowdown at the recent meeting that Cave had in their office with fans. Ichimura (the programmer) had a lot of time to tweak and perfect the port.

ghibli99

:O !!! So awesome, and my favorite from them stylistically (Progear is up there too)... this is the only game I need this month. :)

Tain

Day one, of course. I have no clue how I feel about this game given the small number of credits I've played, but the worst that can happen is it simply being "pretty damn good."

And that display options screen is so delicious.

jlevel13

The art in this game is great, but I've never really gotten as into it as some of the other CAVE games as I've never managed to really get the way you have to manipulate two things at once (your guy at the bottom of the screen, plus your lock shot (I'm sure it has a name, but...), meanwhile bullet dodging and cancelling - it's a bit much for me.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jack Random said:
I assume one couldn't purchase that theme without some JP marketplace access as well as JP MS Points?
Correct. :( I tried using the JP site with my NA account awhile back; doesn't work.

Aigis said:
Correct. :( I tried using the JP site with my NA account awhile back; doesn't work.
i have a JP account (very easy to make), but afaik, you'll need a J credit card to put points on it :/

Yes Boss!

Fever pitch hype! Can't wait. Release of fall, by a long shot. Way more interesting than the new DoDonPachi since this will be worldwide.

OT: how do the old-style premium themes work on the new dashboard?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jack Random said:
i have a JP account (very easy to make), but afaik, you'll need a J credit card to put points on it :/
Yeah, I was trying to see if my NA account (with points on it) would work to buy stuff and it didn't. You can buy a JP points card too but the usual import sites have a high markup. Maybe a J-GAFer could help us out.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
RoryDropkick said:
KOF2k2UM got leaked a few days early on Xbox.com, only thing that didn't work was the online portion.
Shard said:
King of Fighters 2002 UM got accidentally released about a week before its actual release not too long ago.
Ah, gotcha. Two days isn't bad at this point, especially with work.

Tain

I'm curious to see if this game will have some pulldown action due to running at its original 57.whatever hz or if it will be running at a natural 60hz. Or will there be options?

I'm betting the natural 60hz route, like the 32bit-era Cave 1st gen hardware ports. If that's the case, the speed difference isn't ridiculous or anything, but it will be noticeable.

I got more Cave goodness that i can handle at the moment (proud owner of Deathsmiles, Ketsui, Espgaluda II and Mushimesama Futari) but will support this nonetheless. Shmup love 4 life :D

Daigoro

He
Princess Skittles said:
I hope this opens the doors to more legacy Cave titles hitting XBLA.[/QUOTE

Hell yeah. ESPrade, Progear, Dangun, and a Donpachi collection next please.

Ill take a collection on disc too actually.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Princess Skittles said:
I hope this opens the doors to more legacy Cave titles hitting XBLA.
I'd love for them to release decent ports of either Ibara or Mushi 1 on XBLA. Those are kinda recent though, but they've already had (bad) ports so maybe they would be good candidates for the XBLA pricepoint.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Aigis said:
I'd love for them to release decent ports of either Ibara or Mushi 1 on XBLA. Those are kinda recent though, but they've already had (bad) ports so maybe they would be good candidates for the XBLA pricepoint.
I wouldn't mind Mushi 1 and Espgaluda 1 since the sequels are on disc.

Feveron would be legendary.

hipgnosis

Princess Skittles said:
I hope this opens the doors to more legacy Cave titles hitting XBLA.
If this sells well, I'm sure we'll see more Cave titles on XBLA. This is a an experiment to see how well Cave games sell on the XBLA, so support this one!

DoDonPachi next please!

Top Bottom