• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

For a space battle map I'm working. It's almost exactly to-scale with the in-universe version. Definitely going to have to go back and optimize a bit to give me enough parts to finish the Covenant CRS-class light cruiser on the other side of the map. Also want to see if I can free up enough parts to give the front some more detail. But other than that, the Frigate's done.

Wow. Awesome

nillapuddin

lol well look at the quality of his work. I mean, those are sideways cars used in the walls inside those bases. From everything I've seen personally out there, this guy's ability with Forge is among the best, if not the best, in terms of aesthetics (no offense to anyone here). The attention to detail is ridiculous.

Hey man, do we know JoeDannyMan?
His stuff looks really good, wasn't sure if he was someone with a new GT or someone new altogether.

Welp, geometry for Nightingale is done! I'm in the middle of set-dressing / coloration / lighting and then from there i'll flip the whole thing. Video of the new sports bar section

eSgPq1o.jpg

Protip: if you're going to let Olive the Pig respawn, make sure you also enable despawning, otherwise this happens and your framerate tanks:

T1OExAX.jpg

Great games for the first Forge Friday Stream, thanks to those that came to play.

You can catch up on the shenanigans - bear in mind it's still processing from the live stream Forge Friday Episode 1

Karl - I think you need to rethink the height level of the various bases on your map - bring everything a little lower, and scale it closer together. Otherwise the concept is sound.

BraXzy - I liked the map a lot, but I suck at Breakout so maybe I'm a terrible judge. I did think the bottom mid was quite open if you risked going down there.

May favourite map was the doubles map with the golden dome towers by Xemption (Forgehub) I thought the flow and layout were fantastic. Really good map.

nillapuddin

I don't know him but have seen his work. He just posted a Boardwalk remake today I think.

Yeah I saw that which is what made me ask, thats like the third or fourth thing Ive seen from him I think, all remakes, all good quality, made me think he might be someone from the past with a new tag. But if not, New Blood I can dig it.

It seems like pretty much everyone is back in the swing, its pretty awesome to see.

nillapuddin

I feel kinda lame saying it, but I am so happy these remakes are getting attention and I really think we might get our own playlist at some point.

Homeboyd and JD know best, I tried so hard and put it such a ridiculous amount of time and effort to "filter" through the entire community to find maps, help the authors improve them and then promote them back in the Reach era, all for the hopes of putting together a suite of maps we could present to Bungie.

Then, when the moment finally came, it was a disaster and nothing like what I had hoped. When Halo 4 came I once again got my hopes up, but too much going on IRL so I couldnt put in the time, and frankly I dont think the avenues/player base was there anyways. Gotta give alot of credit to JD who really kept that community alive when I kinda walked away.

Now for Halo 5 and 343, it really does seem like we have the tools, the avenues, and the quality of creators to really make it happen. It was never really about pushing my maps for MM, but the overall goal of a remake playlist
(although my coag was objectively better than hemorrhage)
and Im energized with the hope these new guys are given the chance to make it happen the right way this time.

*starry-eyed moment over*

anyways, check out my latest longshore pic bros

H7Nsx7Jh.png

gunna have spawns and stuff tonight I think, hopefully testable for everyone by tmrw

The Kree

Banned
That looks really nice with all the detailing added in.

Does the engine this time around handle lots of objects merged together better than Reach did?

DesertFox

I feel kinda lame saying it, but I am so happy these remakes are getting attention and I really think we might get our own playlist at some point.

Homeboyd and JD know best, I tried so hard and put it such a ridiculous amount of time and effort to "filter" through the entire community to find maps, help the authors improve them and then promote them back in the Reach era, all for the hopes of putting together a suite of maps we could present to Bungie.

Then, when the moment finally came, it was a disaster and nothing like what I had hoped. When Halo 4 came I once again got my hopes up, but too much going on IRL so I couldnt put in the time, and frankly I dont think the avenues/player base was there anyways. Gotta give alot of credit to JD who really kept that community alive when I kinda walked away.

Now for Halo 5 and 343, it really does seem like we have the tools, the avenues, and the quality of creators to really make it happen. It was never really about pushing my maps for MM, but the overall goal of a remake playlist
(although my coag was objectively better than hemorrhage)
and Im energized with the hope these new guys are given the chance to make it happen the right way this time.

*starry-eyed moment over*

anyways, check out my latest longshore pic bros

H7Nsx7Jh.png

gunna have spawns and stuff tonight I think, hopefully testable for everyone by tmrw
Looks great! Love the aesthetic. Longshore was one of my favorites from Halo 3 so I'm glad it's getting some love. Did you get the extendi-bridge working yet?

Karl2177

Karl - I think you need to rethink the height level of the various bases on your map - bring everything a little lower, and scale it closer together. Otherwise the concept is sound.

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking now for all of my maps. I was using 12' as my standard 1 WU conversion. I'm gonna start a new version with 8' as the standard. The thing that I don't like about 8' standard is having to rethink ceilings for jump height and clamber-ability. If I have a ceiling that is 4' tall(so a Spartan can clamber on it, it means I either have to build another level at 4' on top or I have to deal with players not being able to jump in full.

As for my other wip map Hollows, the scale is just way too large. It takes a player on foot 2 minutes to reach the other base. That's way too long and I'm going to have to find a way to scale it down.

I've got to say I'm fucking blown away with the quality of forge in Halo 5 and what people are doing with it. I really want to start building stuff but I'm just useless I have no idea how to even start. This stuff is mind blowing and we'll done to all of you.

Sik and anyone else if you need anyone to play test just give me a shout. Also Sik pm your mobile number or something Bro and just hit me up on WhatsApp when I'm not online.

NOKYARD

The CCs are holding a BTB test tonight. Post your map and GT here if you want us to play test your map.

We are looking to test complete or nearly complete maps so no WIP please. I can test your WIP maps during the week.

M0aHerder

Neo Member
The CCs are holding a BTB test tonight. Post your map and GT here if you want us to play test your map.

We are looking to test complete or nearly complete maps so no WIP please. I can test your WIP maps during the week.

Mine if you weren't already planning on it please (just wanted to make sure). You know the one.

nillapuddin

BTB eh, well as you know Foundation suppor... no no no no!

Double Turf probably isnt worthy, and I didnt put the spawns on Longshore : /

But!

I will put two of my co-forges in my bookmarks, you know colossus from the other night and a Tombstone, the latter of which is gameplay complete and geometry complete, just not finished "decorating"

NOKYARD

Mine if you weren't already planning on it please (just wanted to make sure). You know the one.
The sandy trappy one?

BTB eh, well as you know Foundation suppor... no no no no!

Double Turf probably isnt worthy, and I didnt put the spawns on Longshore : /

But!

I will put two of my co-forges in my bookmarks, you know colossus from the other night and a Tombstone, the latter of which is gameplay complete and geometry complete, just not finished "decorating"
What's the name on the Tombstone map?

I'm finalizing the actual "build" parts of Nightingale tonight (lighting / setdressing / geometry / etc) and I'll just have to do spawns, weapons, cinematics etc. after this. While holy shit is it an easier process duping groups to make symmetrical maps now, I think one thing they should consider adding at some point is a "coordinate jiggle" function. When you jiggle something, every object you have selected just toggles +1 and -1 in the X, Y, and Z axes based on whatever coordinate snap metric you've got it set to. While the grouping / duplication settings are mostly accurate, when you start getting into bigger objects (like half of your entire map) things fall apart a little bit, even if it is just by an eighth of a unit or so.

belushy

Banned
Pretty good looking Citadel remake here - http://www.forgehub.com/maps/high-citadel.1285/

Yeah, made by the same person who made that awesome Construct remake, called Contract. This and the Pit/Snowbound forger are both awesome.

edit: For the Citadel remake, I noticed some screen lag though and that was just with me running around. The light budget is pretty high so I think that might be why. Just needs to run around the map and turn off light baking on a few of them.

I am making an arena map, and have realised just how easy it is to make a vast space. Need to shrink it considerably!

Yea our maps actually need to be descaled from what they were in the old games because our starting weapon is the pistol. Red Reticle range extends about 100 feet, so it's good to build all the major areas of the map to that scale. Obviously BTB can get bigger because of BR starts.

I really have to give 343 credit. This Forge is just fucking amazing. Granted the bugs are frustrating as anthing and there's still a lot of stuff missing, but what we're already able to do is phenomenal and it'll only get better. And then I think about the fact that bookmarking files means I don't have to rerelease a map to update it when they add more stuff - it's just a great system. Custom prefabs are on the way and maybe even custom thumbnails, and all of this is in a game with as tight gameplay as Halo 5. It's insane.

Well, Nightingale isn't finished (and the elevators / outros are broken), but it's in a playable state! GT's Wahrer, map is "pmc_nightingale." I should be on in the next few days to help test it myself, though.

Custom thumbnails makes me unreasonably excited.

I've got the basic geometry of my map set, other than the bases. These are going to be tricky...

Top Bottom