• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Raide

God damn, I'm having trouble getting everything symmetrical. A few bits are nearly there, but not quite, and they throw out some other pieces. Frustrating.

I find myself making one half of the map and then copy/mirror it. Just make sure as you build you make things on the correct high coordinates. Later on it can be a pain to level a massive section of the map just because a few pieces keep messing up.

I have all these ideas and concepts for awesome forge maps but I do not currently have the time to commit myself to make a full-fledged map. I know I'm free to create the stuff that I like but I feel that there is a pressure to be the first person to do something!

The other day I had the idea of building a map around a submarine dock and I've been walking around with the idea of making a map based on movable gondola's like Halo 2's campaign. Sure enough I see both concepts showing up on Forgehub in the past few days. These maps were awesome but it still feels a bit meh since I thought my idea was really unique. Forge has become so easy (after the steep learning curve) that everyone is able to create literally anything. I suspect that in a year from now, if you think of something, it has already been done in Forge.

I find myself making one half of the map and then copy/mirror it. Just make sure as you build you make things on the correct high coordinates. Later on it can be a pain to level a massive section of the map just because a few pieces keep messing up.

I also try and find nice even numbers to use as the dead center of my level, so when I have to manually do coordinates for both sides I can just measure the amount from the central coordinate.

BraXzy

I must be missing something then. I remember there being some option which snapped it to a location. I wonder if the reset option does this or is it just orientations etc

Looks like I am lol.

You can manually adjust an objects exact position in decimal increments in the Object properties.

It's been slow going due to how busy I've been and with how damn glitchy forge is, but my H1 Sidewinder remake with hints of Avalanche is nearing completion. The level is complete, the vehicles have been placed and the classic weapons have been placed where they belong.

I still need to throw in some extra weapons in expanded areas, touch up the tunnels to look nicer, and tidy up a few odds and ends that somehow went wonky all by themselves.

Now I really need to work on spawns though. I've not done this before and I don't even know how they work. I've set a few test red/blue spawns (initial and respawn) but when I start a custom game it spawns red-me at the neutral spawn location anyway, ignoring the team specific ones. That doesn't seem to work how I would expect.

It's been slow going due to how busy I've been and with how damn glitchy forge is, but my H1 Sidewinder remake with hints of Avalanche is nearing completion. The level is complete, the vehicles have been placed and the classic weapons have been placed where they belong.

I still need to throw in some extra weapons in expanded areas, touch up the tunnels to look nicer, and tidy up a few odds and ends that somehow went wonky all by themselves.

Now I really need to work on spawns though. I've not done this before and I don't even know how they work. I've set a few test red/blue spawns (initial and respawn) but when I start a custom game it spawns red-me at the neutral spawn location anyway, ignoring the team specific ones. That doesn't seem to work how I would expect.

I'd love to play some 8v8 unlimited-time-touch-return-pistol-starts-multiflag on that once it is done.

I must be missing something then. I remember there being some option which snapped it to a location. I wonder if the reset option does this or is it just orientations etc

Looks like I am lol.

You have to be selecting / "holding" the object (not just hovering over it) and then Position and Rotation will show up under its properties. From there, you can adjust the rotation / position according to what you have your movement / rotation snaps set to.

What I did to mitigate this was to add in game mode properties / flags so that team-based starting points were excluded in FFA, and then the neutral starting points were excluded in everything but FFA.

Frederik

Banned
Wonder if anyone is doing Unreal Tournament-inspired maps?

Deck 16 343 would be nifty.

HMC9006.jpg

What I did to mitigate this was to add in game mode properties / flags so that team-based starting points were excluded in FFA, and then the neutral starting points were excluded in everything but FFA.

Interesting. I dont know why we'd have to go through all that trouble but ill keep it in mind. Thanks.

I'd love to play some 8v8 unlimited-time-touch-return-pistol-starts-multiflag on that once it is done.

Hell yeah dude. Hell yeah. You get it.

Adjusted 3 separate maps last night - busy forge session.

Odyssey Base requires a sight line rethink, so literally removed the middle of the map and built different terrain.

Domain is being made more angular, with a reduction in curves. I'm also thinking about making some form of Doubles variant that's a little smaller in scope.

And the new doubles map has been changed too - rebuilt my angular doors to be something more aesthetically pleasing and more functional, and opened up the entire temple, rather than have it closed off. Also built a working sundial. Go figure.

Rampage99

Hang Em High Remake: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Rampage99/video/14013309

Didn't have a chance last night to do an updated video/screenshot(s) but here's a brief run through of the blocked out level. Since this video weapons have been placed along with some visual touch ups. Still a little more to go but the level is playable and pretty fun to run around in. Haven't been able to play test with 4v4 yet.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Hang Em High Remake: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Rampage99/video/14013309

Didn't have a chance last night to do an updated video/screenshot(s) but here's a brief run through of the blocked out level. Since this video weapons have been placed along with some visual touch ups. Still a little more to go but the level is playable and pretty fun to run around in. Haven't been able to play test with 4v4 yet.

The shotgun spawn area looks way to short.

Rampage99

The shotgun spawn area looks way to short.

The little bunkers? Yeah, it was weird because in forge you could run under them no problem while in test mode but when I loaded it up as an actual slayer game type you couldn't run into them without crouching (would just bang your head into the top). I've increased the height and overall scale. They were too small in general in that video.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The little bunkers? Yeah, it was weird because in forge you could run under them no problem while in test mode but when I loaded it up as an actual slayer game type you couldn't run into them without crouching (would just bang your head into the top). I've increased the height and overall scale. They were too small in general in that video.

Other than that it looks great.

On another thought which this video inspired. Once the forge update comes out that allows you to share pieces like bases and such. It would be amazing if you could save the whole map and then change the canvas. So Break out HEH, Snow HEH, Jungle HEH etc....

Rampage99

Much appreciated! I'm still trying to figure out something to replace the outer walls because they're a major eyesore. If anyone would like to help me play test it I'm typically free Thursday nights and over the weekend.

I completely agree that being able to change the canvas would be an awesome feature. After getting about 2/3 of the way through this build I started wishing I had made it on Parallax. Doesn't seem like that would be an easy addition for 343 though.

Much appreciated! I'm still trying to figure out something to replace the outer walls because they're a major eyesore. If anyone would like to help me play test it I'm typically free Thursday nights and over the weekend.

I completely agree that being able to change the canvas would be an awesome feature. After getting about 2/3 of the way through this build I started wishing I had made it on Parallax. Doesn't seem like that would be an easy addition for 343 though.

I really want a Select All option in addition to Select All Of... because at least at that point we can grab everything, group it, make it into a prefab and then load it up on another canvas.

Raide

I really want a Select All option in addition to Select All Of... because at least at that point we can grab everything, group it, make it into a prefab and then load it up on another canvas.

Double clicking to select that type would be way quicker than having to go into a menu to do it.

I am interested to see what additions they make to make forging have a bit more depth and ability.

Prefabs into other maps would be amazing. I could spend time just building interesting bits and then use them later on.

The 2v2 map I'm working on is going with an overgrown temple theme. My god I wish I had more nature pieces and types to play with. Like vine decals, and other types of plant-life.

But then again, that's part of what I find so enticing about forge. Coming up with unique solutions to problems caused by a limited toolset.

Raide

The 2v2 map I'm working on is going with an overgrown temple theme. My god I wish I had more nature pieces and types to play with. Like vine decals, and other types of plant-life.

But then again, that's part of what I find so enticing about forge. Coming up with unique solutions to problems caused by a limited toolset.

Agreed. Are you working on a 2v2 for the ForgeHub comp?

Raide

I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch, but happy to offer any thoughts or advice if you need/want it.

Any advice etc is most welcome. I seem to prefer to make Quake feeling maps and not straight Halo maps. Learning about flow, spawn/weapon placement is hard. Just figuring out what is fun!

I really need to focus and test 1 map and then move on haha.

Double clicking to select that type would be way quicker than having to go into a menu to do it.

I feel like that's a bad idea because it'd be pretty easy to conflate Select All Of... with plain deselecting the object, and then suddenly that huge group you were trying to make just got every traffic cone on the map added to it and bugged the physics out because they were set to Normal.

EDIT: I think I just figured out a way smarter way to keep objects moving in consistent patterns (e.g. ivory tower lifts). Will post back with results shortly.

nillapuddin

I wish there was a piece for this

Screenshot-Original.png

There is currently no way for Cylinders and trapezoids to meet as an outside corner and not look bad

I'm still blocking out a 4v4-through-to-6v6 map, but the idea is that it's a riverside garden/plaza area, for the elite. Vines, shrubs and the like would kill it. But as you say, gonna be inventive!

AHAHAHAHA

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I HAVE CREATED LIIIIIIIFE

using Script Brains with timers to coordinate big "universal" setpieces is so much fucking easier than trying to do the math and syncing everything independently

Raide

...no?

god damnit

Eghh, not my style.

I came up with a combo of pieces that sort of kinda I can accept. But a ring corner piece would make all my troubles go away

I would love to see more fitting pieces. A pain in the ass to use 3 or 4 bits to fill the gaps.

More options for curved objects too!

I wish there was a piece for this

Screenshot-Original.png

There is currently no way for Cylinders and trapezoids to meet as an outside corner and not look bad

7877974833bf8de797cef35d8fb31397.png

just mix triangles, rings and blocks and you can fill that pretty easily. if you can see that connection on the outside you'll have to build something to cover it though unless you're really good with the pieces. alternatively, just build a buffer between that connection so you can anticipate the awkward angle and work around it.

FyreWulff

It'd be nice if they could bring back the Halo 4 space station pieces, or make a successor to them (but on a proper grid this time). Those were nice for making hallways and tunnels and some quick layout maps without eating up a bunch of object budget.

here's the intros on Nightingale, for both teams
RIP olive

and then here's the working Ivory Tower lifts

I have it set up where a Script Brain has a chain of timers all running on a 12-second repeater. There are five "steps" which occur in variations of 2.40 seconds (0, 2.4, 4.8, 7.2 and 9.6) which all send a message to a separate channel. All of the blocks (there are five, one starts at each possible step) have their steps synced accordingly, and it works super well. And I've even got two bonus channel inputs on top of that for the elevator trap!

nillapuddin

7877974833bf8de797cef35d8fb31397.png

just mix triangles, rings and blocks and you can fill that pretty easily. if you can see that connection on the outside you'll have to build something to cover it though unless you're really good with the pieces. alternatively, just build a buffer between that connection so you can anticipate the awkward angle and work around it.

pretty much what I came up with right after I posted that

heres what I did
wEJ5Kuj.png

Nightingale's nearing completion. If anyone wants to use it for testing / gamenights it's "pmc_nightingale", GT's Wahrer. Outside of a few small tweaks and potential balance fixes found in playtesting it's almost finished.

Top Bottom