• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

I don't really remember kingdom by name, are you referring to the fog? If so, you should post shots of the longer sightlines from gameplay perspective. Ideally with another player, but you could probably also place an initial spawn for the same effect. Otherwise it's difficult to tell how it would impact gameplay.

Sorry, the fog can be adjusted, it's more the geometry...I love the look of it, but part of me thinks there are too many circles, height levels etc? I'm torn as to whether it looks a mess or awesome hah

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It does look cool but again is hard to tell how crowded from screens. Try to get it play tested, but an actual walk through video might help get feedback as well. Without a good look at it from gameplay angles though, yeah, it looks a bit busy to me.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok, though I have to say I really like the style of the map, I see how you were inspired by it now.

It is more like a homage or revisioning, but I really like how it looks, would love to play on it
especially CTF or real King of the Hill.

Damn this map has a lot of potential

Homeboyd

From the guy who made The Pit: http://m.imgur.com/a/hznBT

xU4qPCC.jpg

(Source)

Ok, though I have to say I really like the style of the map, I see how you were inspired by it now.

It is more like a homage or revisioning, but I really like how it looks, would love to play on it
especially CTF or real King of the Hill.

Damn this map has a lot of potential

Well thankfully 4 v 4 is a lot easier to organise that 8 v 8. :)

I'll give you a shout when it's ready for testing.

I don't blame you to be honest - it started off like it, but then I guess I got carried away. Will probably give it a different name.

Oh and a walkthrough so you can see some of the sightlines.

Siks map that was called Kingdom until 5 minutes ago when everyone said, "Hey Sik, that doesn't really look like Kingdom."

I think one aesthetic touch that could work on the map is a big glassing-esque beam coming down from that aerial ring structure, albeit non-damaging. Kind of like how the Metroid Prime map did it, at around the 3:04 mark.

Karl2177

I was struggling to come up with ideas for bases on my BTB map. I knew I wanted vehicles to be able to travel underneath with ease, but at the same time I didn't want to make it awful for infantry. The other thing was keeping with the CE Forerunner aesthetic. I decided to just experiment around on Alpine, just so I didn't accidentally delete something off my map. I started off by making the outline of a Blood Gulch base. This ended up being 34 pieces.

hollows-bgbase.png

My end goal was more Coagulation than Blood Gulch, so I grouped that together and duplicated it. Flipped it so it was upside down and essentially one giant shell. I then raised it quite a ways off the ground and added stilts to it. Then I threw in some stairs(and removed some walls while I was at it). I should have taken more in-progress shots, but I didn't think of it.

Here's what the final version looks like. I think I can probably cut a handful of pieces, but it's going to be a pretty small number.

hollows-base.png

Overview of the base. Warthog for scale.

hollows-base-f1-hole.png

Lower floor inside the base. I kept the hole so that players could ground pound vehicles passing below. The two grav lifts lead to the next floor. The slope on the wall is 45 degrees, so players can also run up can clamber to the next level if they want.

hollows-base-f2left.png
hollows-base-f2right.png

Left and right views of the 2nd level of the base. The grav lift behind the pistol leads to the top of the base. Players can also use the trapezoids to jump to the top also. I had the bottom trapezoid, but for some reason it would only let me clamber on one side. The opening to the outside goes to a man cannon.

hollows-base-roof.png

The roof of the base. Not much here yet.

Homeboyd

I don't know if someone who thinks snowbound deserves to be remade should be let near official dev maps.
lol well look at the quality of his work. I mean, those are sideways cars used in the walls inside those bases. From everything I've seen personally out there, this guy's ability with Forge is among the best, if not the best, in terms of aesthetics (no offense to anyone here). The attention to detail is ridiculous.

lol well look at the quality of his work. I mean, those are sideways cars used in the walls inside those bases. From everything I've seen personally out there, this guy's ability with Forge is among the best, if not the best, in terms of aesthetics (no offense to anyone here). The attention to detail is ridiculous.
Yeah I agree it's phenomenal but going pit -> snowbound makes me question his sanity a little, which would account for how insane the remake looks I guess.

well here's my issues with Snowbound

• The bases are the only height position on the map, which isn't inherently a bad idea. I think they're mostly well designed but they also felt underutilized...
  • Because there's an underground portion that can almost completely avoid the bases. Which again, isn't a bad idea, but the chokepoints were just too tight.
  • All of the terrain along the perimeter was more or less barren and flat
  • Red Team sticks out and Blue Team blends in. Like reverse Sandtrap
  • There was never a decent weapon layout on it
  • Explosives everywhere.
  • It's an asym playing functionally symmetric, which is great if done right and not so great when it isn't, which happens most of the time.
  • Fucking shotguns and shield doors.

I don't know what to change to the layout aside from increasing the height variation. Ironically it would probably make a solid Destiny maps (by Destiny standards)

I ran around Boardwalk yesterday and had to appreciate all the attention to detail Bungie put on it. Shame the layout was whack.
I feel a lot of the maps in 3 and reach were like that with details(not layout) I would occasionally catch myself looking at all the screens, vents, and buttons in an online match on orbital and just looking through the labs on breakpoint. I think this was also evident by all the machinma that didn't have custom forged maps because the maps already present had so much that could be used.

So earlier today I posted some screens of what I was calling Kingdom...

It's now called Domain. Went with a very Forerunner aesthetic. I'm really pleased with how it looks.

Walk-around video

View from Binary Rifle Spawn:

fyjyvhs.png

Blue Spawn:

5Fap4ap.png

Top-Mid:

vbuyQd6.png

Incineration Cannon Spawn (Bottom-mid)

q3yHohx.png

Up-high:

9GvZ7rJ.png

I'm spending the remainder of this evening setting up spawns.

Frederik

Banned
I'd suggest really toning down the amount of random cylinder you've placed around the map. Having a theme that has a lot of curved geometry is fine, but you have to break it up with straight(er) lines as well. Also, having the majority of the map be essentially be the same object ends up looking lazy and repetitive. Try to find more diverse ways of implementing curved objects.

An example of this is Shurima which does a great job at keeping its theme consistent without making it too repetitive.

shurima-2-png.12620

shurima-7-png.12623

Raide

So earlier today I posted some screens of what I was calling Kingdom...

It's now called Domain. Went with a very Forerunner aesthetic. I'm really pleased with how it looks.

Walk-around video

View from Binary Rifle Spawn:

fyjyvhs.png

Blue Spawn:

5Fap4ap.png

Top-Mid:

vbuyQd6.png

Incineration Cannon Spawn (Bottom-mid)

q3yHohx.png

Up-high:

9GvZ7rJ.png

I'm spending the remainder of this evening setting up spawns.

Loving the overall feel of your map. I love the use of colour because its the same shade I use in my Quake style maps. :D

I'd suggest really toning down the amount of random cylinder you've placed around the map. Having a theme that has a lot of curved geometry is fine, but you have to break it up with straight(er) lines as well. Also, having the majority of the map be essentially be the same object ends up looking lazy and repetitive. Try to find more diverse ways of implementing curved objects.

An example of this is Shurima which does a great job at keeping its theme consistent without making it too repetitive.

shurima-2-png.12620

shurima-7-png.12623

Wow didn't know Forge was this good.

Vico

shurima-2-png.12620

shurima-7-png.12623

Wait... What? That's made in Forge? Goddamn that's incredible.

Can anyone explain why my 2 way teleporters work fine in forge but if I open the map in a custom game, some of them seem to only work 1 way?
I've tried shifting them around a little and checking their settings but everything looks fine. In forge I can go into player mode and everything works as it should. If I actually play a real game on the map my teleporters are broken.

Also my kill barriers have decided that they now cast light and they refuse to stop now matter how many times I quit and reopen the game. I thought it might have something to do with going over my lighting budget but even doing tests where I get it down to a reasonable number, it sticks around. I do plan on doing some lighting housecleaning anyway, I tend to go over budget on one session and then fix it in the next. I bounce around between from 99% to 130%.
Also when I reopen my map, seemingly random items have moved or duplicated.

I think I should be a tester for 3v4 industries because I think I've encountered every forge bug that exists. I cannot go a single sitting without at least three errors. Just once can I open forge and not end my session frustrated?

Still playing around with the base layout and design just thought I would share a little bit.

Scaling has been one of the biggest issues making this map as well as trying to design a two base symmetrical map that isn't just a rehash of what everyone has played before. It is designed for 2v2, 4v4.

7svEHaT.jpg

jem0208

shurima-2-png.12620

shurima-7-png.12623

Damn... that looks fantastic.

I had a tool about on Shurima last night, it's beautifully made for 2v2. Not sure how it plays, but it looks superb - the incidental details are very well judged.

I'd stick some foliage in around the edge, but that's just personal taste.

Also: 343, more foliage plz. I want my greens.

Trup1aya

Man just having textures would change forge maps so much, why is this still not in...

Honestly, people are making some really nice looking things even without textures. I wouldn't be bothered if they were more focused on adding new objects, and improving scripting than they are textures.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
top of my priority list would be to get everything properly functioning with what we have before adding more.

M0aHerder

Neo Member

For a space battle map I'm working. It's almost exactly to-scale with the in-universe version. Definitely going to have to go back and optimize a bit to give me enough parts to finish the Covenant CRS-class light cruiser on the other side of the map. Also want to see if I can free up enough parts to give the front some more detail. But other than that, the Frigate's done.

DesertFox

For a space battle map I'm working. It's almost exactly to-scale with the in-universe version. Definitely going to have to go back and optimize a bit to give me enough parts to finish the Covenant CRS-class light cruiser on the other side of the map. Also want to see if I can free up enough parts to give the front some more detail. But other than that, the Frigate's done.
Ah yes, the proper frigate design. And how the Forward Unto Dawn is supposed to look before the completely unnecessary retcon by 343.

Looks good! Can't wait to see the final. That poor light map. RIP.

Now weld it to a banshee.

Top Bottom