• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

I believe you have to find a balance between the two which best suits your map and budget. The Epitaph remake could benefit from 3 well placed accent pieces, better lighting, and some colour. Also, the floating platform should not be static.

Certainly there is room for some improvement, I think I just meant the "featureless walls" vs "pipes sticking out in every direction" dichotomy, I think the midpoint between those 2 is much larger than I anticipated.

Alot of players making "Forerunner" themed maps have slate featureless geo and it looks great.

Akai__

I hope they have a Forge segment in todays CU Stream. Tom French is teasing a Forge World map for Halo 5's Forge, which didn't make it in time. * . *

Also, (already said that in the other thread) I don't think I'll be able to join the test session until very late today. And because the January CU Stream will be up at Midnight my time, I'll probably not be fully focused. :p

Raide

Made another 4v4 Map. Kinda open but cave based. Thrown in some of the power weapons to see how they change the sandbox. Got a few secret-ish tunnels around.

BIiWXmF.png

Bases are small and identical. Leads to a large open zone with rocks all over, so not major sight lines. Lots of roaming around. May be utter crap in playtest but might actually be fun.

What time are you all getting together to test maps?

I'll be running a livestream to capture footage etc, should start accepting people for games around 2130/2200GMT. I'll be on before that but just forging my own stuff for a while.

Tune in via www.twitch.tv/bestgameevercouk (on mobile, so typing the url from memory on that one, apologies if it's wrong!

I think 343 said 6 pm Est (you're 4:30 pm Est) so shouldn't be a big issue especially with the slow start 343 streams seem to start off as

Yeah, I don't often watch the livestream as I can catch up on all the official stuff later. Would rather be playing games!

gAg CruSh3r

I lost some motivation to work on my 2v2 map but after seeing everyone's maps and other cool forge creations come to life. It is giving me some inspiration. I can't wait to get back online to work on it again.

Raide

GOD DAMN YOU 343!! AT least warn me if the servers drop. FFS. Working on a busy piece of anew map, forgot to save in the last 1/2 hour and now I cannot access the servers. Why the hell did they make Forge Dedicated Servers?

M0aHerder

Neo Member
GOD DAMN YOU 343!! AT least warn me if the servers drop. FFS. Working on a busy piece of anew map, forgot to save in the last 1/2 hour and now I cannot access the servers. Why the hell did they make Forge Dedicated Servers?

This is why I'm quicksaving almost constantly. Once you get into the habit of it you'll never lose work again.

Zoolader

Yeah that's infuriating and really really stupid. Last night I lost an hour of progress on my High Ground inspired map. It's a regular thing so I do try and quick save as often as I can. Why the hell are the servers down so often? I can't even work on my map when I have the free time because the servers are down half the time. And in the beginning I thought needing a live gold account to even forge was bad enough.

FyreWulff

Because the whole game is built around dedicated servers. Forge can't sidestep that, the game needs a dedi to even run the game simulation.

Raide

Because the whole game is built around dedicated servers. Forge can't sidestep that, the game needs a dedi to even run the game simulation.

Yeah, all the lighting etc must take some work to do but its really frustrating to have no warning about it. Some brief message would be nice! Nevemind. I will just have to save more!

Yeah, all the lighting etc must take some work to do but its really frustrating to have no warning about it. Some brief message would be nice! Nevemind. I will just have to save more!

Every time I've had the servers shut down I've always gotten a "Warning! Dedicated Server shutting down, save progress immediately" alert in my killfeed. That being said, that's only ever happened when I've had forge sessions run upwards of 6 hours and I've never been forcibly ejected from a session (outside of causing crashes via massive object groups, scripting etc).

nillapuddin

shoutout to ppl on reddit, they featured my maps in on of their weekend wrapups, really glad to see people enjoying the maps.
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/427rwt/forge_friday_community_spotlight_w6/

I know since Ive put my maps out there Ive gotten like a hundred add's so Im glad I have some peoples interest (wish there was an online browser... )

Still actively accepting feedback and Id like to make my big v1.1 changes soon to address any concerns (I just havent heard too many!) to my whole suite of maps.

I dont think I will be available tmrw, but hopefully Sik if you can squeeze my babies in I would love any feedback

@Nok, yeah a bunch of things came up the past few nights. But I will get back to you about that thing when I can, thanks for the future help!

I really want to get Longshore all spawn'd up, get Turf Remix looking pretty and get my not so secret WIP project finished by next weekend.

Longshore remix is on hold, I just cannot wrap my head around the type of structure I want to build/what would work best for the map. I would love to do a co-forge, or just throw shit at a wall with you guys sometime if I can.

Akai__

There was no real Forge news in yesterdays stream. :(

They only mentioned to do a Social 4vs4 Community playlist, but I hoped to hear more about features and fixes.

After playtesting, I opened up the Binary Rifle spawn to allow more ways in from the outer ring.

7YhziUB.png

Q8x6eWu.png

If anyone gets any playtesting on this let me know what you think. It works great for 4v4 too.

NOKYARD

Today's stream is delayed. Can't get my pc to boot since enabling video on the Intel processor to encode video for the Elagto cc.

nillapuddin

Never done this before, but Im going to see how capable my internet is

streaming my weekend midday forge session

http://www.twitch.tv/nillapuddin626

I am blockout complete on 1/2 of my
Rats Nest remake
and am adjust pieces here and there, and will hopefully soon dupe the map so it can become whole!

edit: let me know if quality is good enough, if it isnt a complete shitshow I might add in commentary and sexy kinect couch shots

nillapuddin

Shit I dont like:

I dont like building in space

I dont like doing remakes in the same theme as the original, and I think people dont like that

I dont like that Breakout columns default to having their accent color be the map secondary color, and theres nothing I can do about it.

nillapuddin

I don't like maps that aren't the same theme, but I still love your maps. I run customs on them regularly.

That's great man, glad you are enjoying them.

I'm not sure what it is, I've just never wanted to exactly replicate the setting, I'm much more interested in taking the actual play space geometry and then building a new interesting aesthetic around it.

AstroTurf in Halo 4 I think was such a success because of that. People seemed to love that map more than I ever anticipated.

CenturionOmegaI and I were talking about that last night in a ' would have been much more interesting to stream forge session' about it, I just like the idea of that familiar muscle memory geometry but with a new feel.

JDHarbs

I'd like to formally request some non-driveable vehicle props, particularly a Sabre, from the kind folks at 343's Forge team.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So I decided to have a go at making an actual competitive map instead of just messing about. It's kinda inspired by Fathom and intended for CTF. I have no idea if it's terrible or amazing, curious to see what you guys think. If it's terrible just say, I really don't mind, had fun making it anyway.

Here's a walkthrough:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/14188414

looks interesting for 2v2. try to get it tested.

Top Bottom