• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

Are there any examples of good use of textures yet?

not good, but heres one of mine

I (am) reskinn(ing) my Foundation, want to go for a elemental temple style

oCRzfaw.png

nillapuddin

Looks like something out of Doom now.

Yeah luckily most of the blocks had the ability to be textured, I just wish it wasnt in the breakout arena now, I might move it out into space so I can do something with the ceiling/perimeter

the arena was perfect for the original aesthetic ofcourse so I cant blame myself
C1EaPmkl.png

Raide

I have 2 maps I am not sure what to do with. If anyone wants to download and give me feedback, that would be great. I tend to loose focus so quickly and I move on. :D Hell, I only ever finished the Quake 3 remakes and never actually tested them.

My Fileshare

Delve and Skies & Lows.

I started working on some 2v2 maps for the ForgeHub comp and got massively distracted and missed the deadline.

Skies and Lows was supposed to be a slightly more open map but focused around man-cannons getting around the map quickly to capture the power weapons and control the other team.

Delve was a winter based close quarters map with a central room. Re-texturing and re-lighting this map has made it really nice looking but I have no idea where to go from there.

Just some feedback on the maps we played:

intercession.png

Nice colorful map and plays well for objective game types. However, the spawns needed work it seemed. A few times I spawn right by the enemy flag/base. Don’t know how I feel about the damage boost, it might be worth trying camo.

ethereal.png

The best looking map of the bunch, played very well for slayer. I also enjoyed how close the plasma pistol spawned to the OS, so that way there can be counter play. Only issue I had was the lighting was extremely dark outside in certain areas, and it made it hard to see players at longer distances.

condemnedalpha.png

I never really enjoyed Condemned that much, but it played well for Stronghold, the middle Stronghold allowed for a lot of back and forth gameplay. I just noticed some spawning issues on CTF though; similar to what happened in Intercession.

The last map we played, I believed it was called Refraction or something. I found it to be confusing to navigate. There was a lot of verticality which I did like, also in my view the plasma caster would play extremely well on that map.

Just some feedback on the maps we played:

intercession.png

Nice colorful map and plays well for objective game types. However, the spawns needed work it seemed. A few times I spawn right by the enemy flag/base. Don’t know how I feel about the damage boost, it might be worth trying camo.

ethereal.png

The best looking map of the bunch, played very well for slayer. I also enjoyed how close the plasma pistol spawned to the OS, so that way there can be counter play. Only issue I had was the lighting was extremely dark outside in certain areas, and it made it hard to see players at longer distances.

condemnedalpha.png

I never really enjoyed Condemned that much, but it played well for Stronghold, the middle Stronghold allowed for a lot of back and forth gameplay. I just noticed some spawning issues on CTF though; similar to what happened in Intercession.

The last map we played, I believed it was called Refraction or something. I found it to be confusing to navigate. There was a lot of verticality which I did like, also in my view the plasma caster would play extremely well on that map.

Thanks for the feedback - methinks the lighting has had a tweak since the update, will have to adjust it.

nillapuddin

real talk

should I try and switch my gamertag to nillapuddin, instead of nillapuddin626

pro Ive always wanted to nix the 626

con I dont feel like most people even notice the 626
con ive been identified as 626 for like 8 years or something,
con my bnet and all legacy stats, maps, posts, etc are under 626.

neutral my forum identities, twitter, twitch, etc are randomly 626 or non626 depending on availability

JDHarbs

real talk

should I try and switch my gamertag to nillapuddin, instead of nillapuddin626

pro Ive always wanted to nix the 626

con I dont feel like most people even notice the 626
con ive been identified as 626 for like 8 years or something,
con my bnet and all legacy stats, maps, posts, etc are under 626.

neutral my forum identities, twitter, twitch, etc are randomly 626 or non626 depending on availability
For what it's worth, I nixed the 19 from my gamertag and all of my legacy stats on bnet updated to JDHarbs.

Arcane0ne

I have a little video on my xbox gallery.

My original idea was more bigger but i reach the limit object and i modified and simplified a lot of things.

i think needs more work,the respawns maybe are not placed correctly and also other things.

Other unfinished map:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-gb/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=Arcan0ne#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_Arcan0ne_45fcb932-3194-4885-8296-a6f7c9e876ba

JDB

Banned

Nutter

That image doesn't work by the way. I'm guessing you're linking an XBL or XboxDVR screenshot? Even though your own screenshots will show up for you they don't do so half the time for other people. Try Imgur or something.

Fixed the image. :)

Looks good! Nice look overall other than the ramps in the middle building (though I understand its because of no textures on those yet.)

Yes, those pieces cannot be textured, hopefully in the future.

So I went through Ethereal (now at version 1.2) and updated lighting and textures where I felt they would work best.

I'm also really, stupidly desparate to get a 4 v 4 game going on this:

It's currently called Super Dropshot, but it's basically a riff of Grifball and Ricochet.

Totally up for better name suggestions - the key thing is, it's bloody good fun, so I want to capture a good game on it so I can do some videos.

So I went through Ethereal (now at version 1.2) and updated lighting and textures where I felt they would work best.

I'm also really, stupidly desparate to get a 4 v 4 game going on this:

It's currently called Super Dropshot, but it's basically a riff of Grifball and Ricochet.

Totally up for better name suggestions - the key thing is, it's bloody good fun, so I want to capture a good game on it so I can do some videos.

I can play if you want :)

Went through my favorite 4v4 forge maps today and the authors already updated the textures on all of them. High Citadel looks insane. I honestly don't like the weather filters, especially on indoor maps like Countdown and Skyline where it snows/rains from the ceiling.

Ooooh, looks like it's had some pretty significant changes since the last time I saw it.

nillapuddin

I spent the past 2 days kinda working on something, I wasnt content with my cool Foundation reskin, so I wanted to do a rebuild, hone my craft a bit, so Ive been working on a "Foundation Bible"

In H2A I got Turf down to a (zero merging template) which is what Im always striving for, I dont like clutter I just want to represent the geometry as cleanly and accurately as I can. So Ive been trying to do the same for Foundation, and using some of the new basic pieces

VsjWUi4.png

All walking surfaces are White, Walls are 50% Gray, the only other colors are Teams 1-4 and Orange as a neutral accent.

I wanted to whole map to be about contrast, there are no areas where the same color is touching a corner so you should always have depth perception and awareness.

Yet another boring looks map from me probably, but I think in game it looks very sharp (screenshot doesnt do it justice imo)

For what it's worth, I nixed the 19 from my gamertag and all of my legacy stats on bnet updated to JDHarbs.

duly noted!

Just Updated my Sanctuary Map with new geo/textures.

Map Name: Sacellum
Gametype Support: Slayer, CTF, Assault, Strongholds
File Browser Link: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/... NutterB_74cc1cbb-b746-400c-9be4-10e1f106ebd4

looks great!

Also looks great!
Super Dropshot, just take off already! lol

Im sorry Sik, I feel the same way. In my humble creators opinion, Smashketball is superior to all the other crappy basketball clones I see, but nobody seems to find their way to it, I think Dropshot is a fun Rico variant, but unless youre 12 yo party crashing Im not sure how to get it around alot

nillapuddin

~ mini-rant ~

I'm honestly so fed up with forge, I don't understand how I am supposed to be able to produce things to the level of quality that I want to.

Every single time I reload a map my pieces have moved in terms of x,y,z and the angles.

I'm so frustrated with pieces being (90.07, 0.07, 179.97) and 84.99, 911.99, 413.49

like, FUCK

JUST STAY WHERE THE FUCK I PUT YOU

It just doesnt make any fucking sense to me, I dont use groups, I dont use magnets, I even stopped duplicating objects, I edit everything nowadays in the position menu by the 1/10th unit, or only move in the overworld by 1 unit.

I fully reset object positions, constantly

My favorite part is (ill use a real example)

Hover over 48x96x16
position: 90.94, 822.63, 409.97
angles, 45.04, 0.02, -90.00

* Click on it *

position: 96.60, 816.98, 409.97

unclick and it goes back to the former number, what the fuck does that even mean.

I honestly feel (I could be totally wrong here) that this absolutely did not happen the first few months. They did an update (cant remember what month) and all the units changed. I remember bitching about it, but I dont remember alot of people talking about it. Ever since then I cannot get pinpoint accuracy at all and its so frustrating, its honestly whats kept me from creating at all, nothing stays in place so whats the point.

~ end rant ~

~ mini-rant ~

I'm honestly so fed up with forge, I don't understand how I am supposed to be able to produce things to the level of quality that I want to.

Every single time I reload a map my pieces have moved in terms of x,y,z and the angles.

I'm so frustrated with pieces being (90.07, 0.07, 179.97) and 84.99, 911.99, 413.49

like, FUCK

JUST STAY WHERE THE FUCK I PUT YOU

It just doesnt make any fucking sense to me, I dont use groups, I dont use magnets, I even stopped duplicating objects, I edit everything nowadays in the position menu by the 1/10th unit, or only move in the overworld by 1 unit.

I fully reset object positions, constantly

My favorite part is (ill use a real example)

Hover over 48x96x16
position: 90.94, 822.63, 409.97

* Click on it *

position: 96.60, 816.98, 409.97

unclick and it goes back to the former number, what the fuck does that even mean.

I honestly feel (I could be totally wrong here) that this absolutely did not happen the first few months. They did an update (cant remember what month) and all the units changed. I remember bitching about it, but I dont remember alot of people talking about it. Ever since then I cannot get pinpoint accuracy at all and its so frustrating, its honestly whats kept me from creating at all, nothing stays in place so whats the point.

~ end rant ~

Was a worthwhile rant. Tis a bit frustrating, I agree.

nillapuddin

Was a worthwhile rant. Tis a bit frustrating, I agree.

Thank you, as long as one person validates my internet rant I feel vindicated.

Also, I have a plane at 6 AM so I just stayed up the entire night, didnt trust myself going to sleep

so..

check out 'foundation minimalist' in my bookmarks

6bHSY9yl.png

4ejy800l.png

obviously its just a bit of experimenting and fun, but I like it. give it a look and tell me what yall think

Im gone for a week to Portland, not likely to have xbox acess. Happy forging everyone

NOKYARD

Thank you, as long as one person validates my internet rant I feel vindicated.

I don't seem to have this issue. Sure, there is still a bit of 'earthquake glitch' present but generally my positioning is fairly stable. after the first round of save 'n quit. The 'hover' coordinates are bugged and not accurate so i only use them as a guide for manual rotation.

Karl2177

I'll upload some pictures tonight, but I've tried every trick for lighting on my map and it still looks like butt. I get that horrible waffling effect, frame drops, or an ugly grime looking effect.

Any scripting gurus around here?

I need some assistance with something possibly hilarious...
I wouldn't call myself a guru, but I could help.

I'll upload some pictures tonight, but I've tried every trick for lighting on my map and it still looks like butt. I get that horrible waffling effect, frame drops, or an ugly grime looking effect.

I wouldn't call myself a guru, but I could help.

I'm online if you are dude!

nillapuddin

I don't seem to have this issue. Sure, there is still a bit of 'earthquake glitch' present but generally my positioning is fairly stable. after the first round of save 'n quit. The 'hover' coordinates are bugged and not accurate so i only use them as a guide for manual rotation.

I don't know what's wrong with my stuff then :/

Literally every single map I do, and basically every single piece has that 0.01 ish adjustment when I reload it. I'm cursed.

Before I put that new foundation on my bookmarks I went through and literally touched every single object and got the xyz and angles on whole round numbers. I guarantee that everyone who downloads it will get that unconnected .01 crap.

Fuchsdh

So I assume I'm blind or looking in the wrong place, but there's a way to change sun position to orient your shadows, correct? Is this option on all the blank canvas maps?

Is that thread with all the remakes being updated by Forgers? Some of the CE remakes in that list were terrible, so I'm curious if anything's been changed - I haven't checked it out in a few months.

nillapuddin

Is that thread with all the remakes being updated by Forgers? Some of the CE remakes in that list were terrible, so I'm curious if anything's been changed - I haven't checked it out in a few months.

Something something salty nilla decent maps something something

JD help this funky brotha out

Maybe my PC ill handle forge in high res than the xbox one. Curious to see a map and spartans in higher res :p

Those who will tinker in 4k - im jelly.

JDHarbs

Something something salty nilla decent maps something something

JD help this funky brotha out
If I had the time I used to have, I'd make a better list myself.

Something something excuses something something

In all seriousness though, you'll find better remakes just by watching what bubbles to the top of sites like ForgeHub. I don't think the people who ran that Google Doc have played most of those maps before.

You'll be seeing me in this Forge thread more once Win10 version drops. I've never gotten into editing with a controller, far too tedious for me. Crosses fingers they bring some sweet array type tools with KB&M support.

nillapuddin

If I had the time I used to have, I'd make a better list myself.

Something something excuses something something

In all seriousness though, you'll find better remakes just by watching what bubbles to the top of sites like ForgeHub. I don't think the people who ran that Google Doc have played most of those maps before.

Obviously the spreadsheet was full of shit yeah.

I thought there was a waypoint thread though

Funk, just go to my fileshare, I have all the best remakes.
i was being facetious

One of my maps is officially broken. It has a phantom rotation script that applies itself to random objects when nothing I have is scripted anymore. Even if I delete everything on the map, the scripts still exist. Um, help?

One of my maps is officially broken. It has a phantom rotation script that applies itself to random objects when nothing I have is scripted anymore. Even if I delete everything on the map, the scripts still exist. Um, help?

This is going to sound really dumb, but if you remember the original parameters of the script, you can try "exorcising" it by getting a Script Brain and essentially recreating the script as one of its parameters. From there, lay a few objects out and see if it continues to apply - if it does, delete the script itself off of the script brain and then delete the script brain and see if it continues.

This is going to sound really dumb, but if you remember the original parameters of the script, you can try "exorcising" it by getting a Script Brain and essentially recreating the script as one of its parameters. From there, lay a few objects out and see if it continues to apply - if it does, delete the script itself off of the script brain and then delete the script brain and see if it continues.
I spawned in some script brains and put my most common script settings on them, saved the map, removed the brain scripts, then removed the brains, on the first try it seemed to reduce the number of objects the script affected to one. I tried again with slightly different settings and this made nothing affected by the script. The scripts still exist in the counter, but this seemed to stop the symptoms. Should I just keep the current brains then?

Top Bottom