• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

FyreWulff

So is it just me, or is Forge really missing large-scale wall pieces? I just want smooth, featureless surfaces, but the thickness of primitives means I can't use them for walls, and even switching wall pieces to the same color they look kind of ugly if I'm trying to make something two or three units high.

pretty much since forever. Reach got close with the Grid in size but not appearance.

nillapuddin

Yeah it's quite frustrating, I kinda wish every object could have a toggle to switch into the "basic" texture model.

If I wasn't so damn committed to having the stupid wasp on highlands, I would have finished it last week.

#PlayerContainmentProblems

edit: nvm, stupid named volumes. hate placing those, ugh

Fuchsdh

So in terms of making extreme contrasts in terms of light and shadow, you basically have to block off the ambient sun, color everything black and then go from there? Trying to do a moody map but can't seem to get darker than muddy Halo 4-like interiors.

nillapuddin

So in terms of making extreme contrasts in terms of light and shadow, you basically have to block off the ambient sun, color everything black and then go from there? Trying to do a moody map but can't seem to get darker than muddy Halo 4-like interiors.

More or less, I was messing around with a variant of rats nest where I just encapsulated the entire play space in gigantic floor pieces so natural sunlight was not touching any part of the map, and then going from there.

It's ugly, and hard to contextualize, but it's the best method to have full control*

*afaik

After hundreds of hours I still don't understand the lighting system

Do you guys prefer putting down circular named volumes, or rectangular ones?

I ask this because my giant forerunner island is round, and I'm not sure what I'm going to name the outer areas.

nillapuddin

Do you guys prefer putting down circular named volumes, or rectangular ones?

I ask this because my giant forerunner island is round, and I'm not sure what I'm going to name the outer areas.

most of my stuff is very blocky so I dont use a ton of cylindrical volumes, but yeah its tough cause overlapping is inevitable and i want things to be perfect

*** Soft Launch of my Highlands remake "Hightide" ***

I will likely do all the pictures, forgehub, reddit, waypoint posts, etc tomorrow for this and Relic. But go get a sneak peek now!

NOKYARD

most of my stuff is very blocky so I dont use a ton of cylindrical volumes, but yeah its tough cause overlapping is inevitable and i want things to be perfect!
Nothing wrong with overlapping named volumes so long as the correct one shows to the player.

I am, streaming Team Remake candidates soon if anyone wants to join me. (will edit with youtube link when i go live)

nillapuddin

Nothing wrong with overlapping named volumes so long as the correct one shows to the player.

I am, streaming Team Remake candidates soon if anyone wants to join me. (will edit with youtube link when i go live)

Is there a way to give one the authority to override another one, or is it random?

Also crap, looking at stuff submitted in the waypoint thread right?

I haven't put any in there yet, oops

NOKYARD

Is there a way to give one the authority to override another one, or is it random?

Also crap, looking at stuff submitted in the waypoint thread right?

I haven't put any in there yet, oops
Right.

Named Volumes always logically default to the innermost nested volume. You can have Red Ramp, inside Red Base, inside Red Side. HUD will change from Red Ramp to Red Base when you leave the ramp, and to Red Side when you leave the base.

If you need a body I'm around.
In about 10 minutes.

nillapuddin

Right.

Named Volumes always logically default to the innermost nested volume. You can have Red Ramp, inside Red Base, inside Red Side. HUD will change from Red Ramp to Red Base when you leave the ramp, and to Red Side when you leave the base.

In about 10 minutes.

Cool, thanks

Was your stream archived? I would like to check it out when I get home from work

UndertaleGIF.gif

It's scaled for Legendary Grifball, though I doubt people will play it like that.

Link

NOKYARD

Cool, thanks

Was your stream archived? I would like to check it out when I get home from work

Thanks fuchsdh, you the man.

Well I forgot I had to see some family in town, but I will for sure check it out when I get back back home.

I'm hoping to learn a thing or two, I'm but a decent map maker.

Skip over the first 8 minutes. With youtube you can't tell if you are actually streaming for several minutes. Also, i forgot to turn my mic on.
https://youtu.be/BkB8j90VKic?t=8m41s

We talked about you nilla.

nillapuddin

nillapuddin

Posted my two latest BTB Remakes on Forgehub

http://www.forgehub.com/maps/megalith.3174/

http://www.forgehub.com/maps/hightide.3175/

Leave feedback and what not if you wouldn't mind, again, constructive criticism is always welcome

Skip over the first 8 minutes. With youtube you can't tell if you are actually streaming for several minutes. Also, i forgot to turn my mic on.
https://youtu.be/BkB8j90VKic?t=8m41s

We talked about you nilla.

Just finished it, yeah I knew almost all of those. Evil Spartan is a long long time forge buddy from Reach era forge, not surprised he jammed up the submission thread with his maps lol, (idk if you lurk here evil or not)

not once did I hear my name ; (

Ill try and get em on the thread tonight tonight

@nok
the highlands wasp control system is the most agregious use of invisible blockers youve ever seen, maybe 60+ lol, plz halp.

I checked out both, and I like yours more nilla, because it wasn't melting chocolate. And your script is functional.

Edit: Adding critique though... I have small issues with your choice of Torque barriers. Is there a better substitute? You may be able to improve your intro cameras slightly by not tracking the focus.

nillapuddin

Updated colors on Rats Nest to the more Chief-y theme I was talking about last week, fixed some broken objects on Longshore also, posted everything on waypoint

Thread I'm referencing for those who wanna lurk

I checked out both, and I like yours more nilla, because it wasn't melting chocolate. And your script is functional.

Edit: Adding critique though... I have small issues with your choice of Torque barriers. Is there a better substitute? You may be able to improve your intro cameras slightly by not tracking the focus.

yeah unfortunately he made some very poor color choices, but a good effort nonetheless

The barriers are certainly not something I am in love with, in fact in very un-nilla fashion I use the more basic cover pieces on the top and those on the bottom, I usually like to stick with one style. so I might go back and alter that. I believe the choice ultimately came from just wanting to get a good look at them and I just kept duping it. I will revist that though thanks.

I will look into the camera tracking, I am the first to admit I am decent not very good at setting up cameras, so Im sure they can be improved, I just dont have much of an eye for it.

I'm seeing Reach maps on this stream, Nok.

Does Condemned have a chance if I actually finish it?

108278-Starsky-and-Hutch-do-it-gif-Im-R7GF.gif

I noticed something wrong with the named locations. The "pipes" location in particular will not work for me on Tidal. I can use the same object to name other areas, but not if I want "pipes."

Edit: I put a stronghold in the "pipes" location, and it appears in the stronghold name, but not the area name. Quite annoying.

I noticed something wrong with the named locations. The "pipes" location in particular will not work for me on Tidal. I can use the same object to name other areas, but not if I want "pipes."

Edit: I put a stronghold in the "pipes" location, and it appears in the stronghold name, but not the area name. Quite annoying.

Pipes as a call out is broken.

Make the Pipes Yellow.

Yellow Pipes as a call out works. :) WIN WIN.

nillapuddin

I'm pulling hard for condemned JD!

That was one of my favorite maps I've worked on in this game, even more so than some of my solo maps lol.

My schedule is a little hectic nowadays but if you need a hand let me know (I honestly don't remember what's left? Spawning and gameplay stuff?)

JDHarbs

Yes, very strong.
rs426sfoxp4u.gif

I'm pulling hard for condemned JD!

That was one of my favorite maps I've worked on in this game, even more so than some of my solo maps lol.

My schedule is a little hectic nowadays but if you need a hand let me know (I honestly don't remember what's left? Spawning and gameplay stuff?)
It needs an aesthetics pass, but other than that just general refinement. Structure, lighting, objectives, spawns, weapons, cameras are all there and that was multiple forge updates and budget increases ago.

My time is limited during sprints right now, but hit me up if you see me on.

nillapuddin

Yes, very strong.

I will be streaming more in a few hours from now if anyone wants to join.

no archive today :(

think of the workin folk nok

It needs an aesthetics pass, but other than that just general refinement. Structure, lighting, objectives, spawns, weapons, cameras are all there and that was multiple forge updates and budget increases ago.

My time is limited during sprints right now, but hit me up if you see me on.

Okay cool, yeah right now I started a new contract and I work 8-4 EST, Im home usually around 5. So any night If were both on Ill give ya a shout.

nillapuddin

Things happened (washing machine broke down had to drive 2 towns over to hunt for parts).

Will stream after food.

oh sweet, thought it had come and gone. Lookin forward to it, was left for some errands but now I got a reason to get back

and no, Im definitely not checking gaf while driving.
yes i am.

Fuchsdh

Well, shoot. I assume there's no select all option? Realized that the damn sun is actually visible in a window when I really don't want to be able to see it all, and the map's already roughed out.

TCKaos

I am really pleased with how my BTB map is coming together... except it is the size of a Warzone map 😒 BTB scaling is tough.

This is my huge problem. I'm still not nailing down the scale properly. I know I could use a Warthog, but being lazy throws a wrench in those plans.

I'm losing my mind. I want basic details on the main bases AND the middle. The framerate just dies when looking at everything from afar, even while blocking it all with large rocks.

It must be because I use too many trapezoids, vehicles, FX, glass, trees, grass, energy columns, and invisible lights. But if I remove those, my map loses everything it stood for.

Edit: I had to delete 300+ objects to get back to butter framerate at all ranges. Felt like I was in a SAW movie.

I gave Megalith a recolor attempt. I finally settled on Chief Green for primary, Murky Green for secondary, and Murky Green for pathways. If that's no good, you could also try the more traditional Forerunner look with gray 60, gray 70, and gray 70 respectively.

I wish there were more desaturated colors.

nillapuddin

I gave Megalith a recolor attempt. I finally settled on Chief Green for primary, Murky Green for secondary, and Murky Green for pathways. If that's no good, you could also try the more traditional Forerunner look with gray 60, gray 70, and gray 70 respectively.

Very cool I will def give it a look when I get home.

Last night I ended my session with 70% gray

nillapuddin

Very cool I will def give it a look when I get home.

Last night I ended my session with 70% gray. Still wish I could get it to look the way it does before lights bake, all the colors are so pretty :(

nillapuddin

Expectations (forge before light bake)

xYP2XSC.png

Reality (after light bake)

TP4LuD0.png

Am I the only one who is confused on the verbage, because I feel like when light bake is turned off, the objects should always look like they do in the first screenshot. I know I've complained before about this, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Gotta' keep the White Ranger color scheme at this point. Be blinding!

Ha, you're right. The any publicity is good publicity approach.

Top Bottom