• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

That needs to be in arena.
I'd love a remake playlist, featuring the best remakes from the history of halo multiplayer.

They are doing this. They're doing CE pistol starts with it as well. Honestly, I just want the remakes with 5's vanilla sandbox. They could do CE pistols, Halo 2 BRs as weapon pickups though.

Some top tier remakes belong in ranked playlists though, High Citadel and Simplex would be welcomed. There's also some new maps that could be there, both symmetric and asymmetric.

Noobcraft

I decided to try forge again the other day just for fun. I don't make good maps, but I wanted to see if I could make a jungle environment. I plan on adding a lot more foliage and trees.

screenshot-originald4jrj.png

screenshot-originalcckyb.png

screenshot-originalxxkzf.png

Can the scorpions get to the middle of the map?

Yes. I'm still messing with the spacing of the rocks. Partly due to framerate issues of staring into the center from afar.

My BTB heavies-fan friend suggested I make the spacing about 20% extra wiggle room for Scorpions, what do you guys think?

They are doing this. They're doing CE pistol starts with it as well. Honestly, I just want the remakes with 5's vanilla sandbox. They could do CE pistols, Halo 2 BRs as weapon pickups though.

Some top tier remakes belong in ranked playlists though, High Citadel and Simplex would be welcomed. There's also some new maps that could be there, both symmetric and asymmetric.

Yeah I agree, I don't want CE pistol starts.
I like this jungle creek remake because the creator has made changes to suit the H5 sandbox (longer between bases for example)

Probably old to you guys, but I just saw this jungly Beaver Creek remake. My goodness that looks like a "real" map.

http://imgur.com/a/670ZE

FMNnHMq.png
I really like this map, but they took out the teleporters and the ramps inside the back of the bases where you could toss the flag through the roof to a teammate. I feel these were key elements to Battle/Beaver Creek, especially for CTF.

EDIT: Also, without teleporters this map may turn into one side pinging another without worrying about the enemy attacking from behind. Battle Canyon, the HCEA Battle Creek remake, added rooms to the back which I think worked well. Should maybe look into that as an alternative.

nillapuddin

This is what I've been working on for a week. It's an "original" giant Forerunner island based on architecture and motifs from 1 2 and 3. Still a WIP, but I want it to be heavy-centric with scorpions and banshees.

looks cool ryo!

I really like this map, but they took out the teleporters and the ramps inside the back of the bases where you could toss the flag through the roof to a teammate. I feel these were key elements to Battle/Beaver Creek, especially for CTF.

EDIT: Also, without teleporters this map may turn into one side pinging another without worrying about the enemy attacking from behind. Battle Canyon, the HCEA Battle Creek remake, added rooms to the back which I think worked well. Should maybe look into that as an alternative.

A.) wtf no flag ramp...?
B.) agreed, if I did it, I would add the HCEA rooms. All the HCEA maps improved on originals in meaningful ways.

I need more lava on my maps.

Also I was driving a hog into some knee-deep water on tidal and I would either get a brief 10 second timer pop-up or instant death. So is this a no to large puddles?

nillapuddin

only 90% geometry complete and colors are not final, buuuttt...

Hightide ;)

Ufdm0Zp.png

GGKNHG2.png

e7Q6XWH.png

Lots of cover and trees and aesthetics left, but I am super excited

I will be cutting pieces short more than normal, especially around the perimeter, because I want Wasp's, and it is absolutely forbidden to see pieces sticking out. so as much as Id love to have crazy huge rocks encompassing the whole map, I want clean outskirts so when you are flying you dont see ugliness.

i think it looks ugly in these pics, but in game its pretty awesome

Also I was driving a hog into some knee-deep water on tidal and I would either get a brief 10 second timer pop-up or instant death. So is this a no to large puddles?

yes

That geometry is getting better and better. Hopefully you'll be able to shift the overall atmosphere and lighting of the terrain from cool colors to warm ones. I don't expect you to mimic the fire, smoke, and glassing of course.

nillapuddin

That geometry is getting better and better. Hopefully you'll be able to shift the overall atmosphere and lighting of the terrain from cool colors to warm ones. I don't expect you to mimic the fire, smoke, and glassing of course.

Yeah I have a few ideas about it before this map just wasn't possible due to the size so it's very plain.

Yall have no idea how much the simple wall 2x24x20 only actually being 2x23x20 hurts me. I need that featureless object of those exact dimensions in like 6 places.

I've had it there since February just hoping the piece would get patched : (

TCKaos

only 90% geometry complete and colors are not final, buuuttt...

Hightide ;)

http://i.imgur.com/Ufdm0Zp.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GGKNHG2.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/e7Q6XWH.png[IMG]

Lots of cover and trees and aesthetics left, but I am super excited

I will be cutting pieces short more than normal, especially around the perimeter, because I want Wasp's, and it is absolutely forbidden to see pieces sticking out. so as much as Id love to have crazy huge rocks encompassing the whole map, I want clean outskirts so when you are flying you dont see ugliness.

[spoiler]i think it looks ugly in these pics, but in game its pretty awesome[/spoiler]

yes[/QUOTE]

Good shit. This was probably my favorite map in Reach. I remember I stayed home from school the day it came out and gave Blue base a bunch of Covenant vehicles and did Spartan vs Elite CTF. Match lasted for like an hour and a half. I still have the film.

I hope eventually we get low-res background assets. Some nearly to-scale Covenant ships to put in the background along with other things that aren't meant to be in the map proper.

Karl2177

I'll be gone this weekend, but I do want Glass House to get a bit of playtime. Someone should host a custom session.

I wish there was a way I could download saved films...

Karl2177

From Xbox DVR?
You can on Xboxdvr.com or through the Xbox App (W10)
No like films were in Halo 3 through 4. You can save them locally if you were in the game, but you can't download from a file share like the old days. I always like following different players and seeing what they do on my maps. The other day was folding laundry and pulled up an old film from Glass House's alpha tests and watched as players did the evasion dance on top mid.

No like films were in Halo 3 through 4. You can save them locally if you were in the game, but you can't download from a file share like the old days. I always like following different players and seeing what they do on my maps. The other day was folding laundry and pulled up an old film from Glass House's alpha tests and watched as players did the evasion dance on top mid.

You can record the film, but only in 5 minutes segments

Just curious: any word on when the Win10 version of Forge was supposed to come out? They announced it a few months ago and have (as far as I know) said jack since.

HokieJoe

Yes. I'm still messing with the spacing of the rocks. Partly due to framerate issues of staring into the center from afar.

My BTB heavies-fan friend suggested I make the spacing about 20% extra wiggle room for Scorpions, what do you guys think?

Looks good. Just be mindful of choke points and flanking. You don't want every match to end up with just 1 or 2 spots dominating the action. Flanking should be an effective maneuver to flush out campers. :)

nillapuddin

annnnd with that announcement I can confirm Tidal maps work in customs with no problems and will lead me to officially release Megalith.

WKh5G7l.gif

sorry guys, keeping the white

Imgur Album

also: "Hightide" hype, I can feel it coming together, switching everything out for Tidal terrain

sGtrR8hl.png

dpCjuc3l.png

Looks good. Just be mindful of choke points and flanking. You don't want every match to end up with just 1 or 2 spots dominating the action. Flanking should be an effective maneuver to flush out campers. :)
It takes inspiration from Death Island, Narrows, Infinity, Shatter, and Ice Fields. I'm intending the entire map to be playable space, since Banshees or Wasps could take you out from any height.

Something I'm thinking about changing is the edge of the water at the beach. Is there a best way to make it so that vehicles can be near or in the water without exploding?

nillapuddin

I want to play on Megalith

Awesome :) if you can't wrangle a custom together you should at least give it a look "in person"

I'm quite proud (smug expression)

There are also quite a few bonus features I plan to add that are not yet incorporated, some of which may be non gameplay affecting, some of which may, and some may even be quite tricky to trigger (I'm so hyped on these ideas)

Is there a best way to make it so that vehicles can be near or in the water without exploding?

This was really vexing me also, on highlands I had to put invisible blockers just beneath the water because at the (right/wrong?) angle a warthog will instantly explode if even one of its four tires dips into the water too deeply.

Zoolader

Anybody else having trouble recently while forging with large pieces? While trying to create a natural rock barrier to enclose my map, I keep getting teleported outside of the map. This kills me instantly and also drops the forge piece I was carrying way outside of the map, forcing me to restart my map every time. Is this a new bug that came with an update? I never use to have this problem.

FyreWulff

Awesome :) if you can't wrangle a custom together you should at least give it a look "in person"

I'm quite proud (smug expression)

There are also quite a few bonus features I plan to add that are not yet incorporated, some of which may be non gameplay affecting, some of which may, and some may even be quite tricky to trigger (I'm so hyped on these ideas)

This was really vexing me also, on highlands I had to put invisible blockers just beneath the water because at the (right/wrong?) angle a warthog will instantly explode if even one of its four tires dips into the water too deeply.

I wonder if that's due to how their tires "pop" downwards due to the networking catching up. So you barely over the water, a frame has the tire pop down.. boom

Anybody else having trouble recently while forging with large pieces? While trying to create a natural rock barrier to enclose my map, I keep getting teleported outside of the map. This kills me instantly and also drops the forge piece I was carrying way outside of the map, forcing me to restart my map every time. Is this a new bug that came with an update? I never use to have this problem.

You need to have the space now to make the object appear - spawn it way up high, then bring it down. Yes it is a new 'bug'. Will be patched soonish.

Also, thanks to Toastman for inspiring me to make a trailer for my latest Forge map :)

Fever Pitch - A Halo 5 Forge Map

nillapuddin

*attach 5 screenshots*

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Now if only we can bundle a gametype with a map for custom games we will be freakin set for life.

nillapuddin

I got a look on Megalith and it's really gorgeous. Congrats Nilla!

Thanks bud, I appreciate it.

It will be in matchmaking soon!
Jk no it won't, ever
I added invisible lights to try and even out some of the discoloration on the megalith, but I will probably tweak it, I'm just gunna keep updating the bookmarked version so it applies. Also I want to add in the cool dynamic elements tmrw

Zoolader

You need to have the space now to make the object appear - spawn it way up high, then bring it down. Yes it is a new 'bug'. Will be patched soonish.

Also, thanks to Toastman for inspiring me to make a trailer for my latest Forge map :)

Fever Pitch - A Halo 5 Forge Map

I've been spawning the largest rock chunk at all different spots in my map to make sure I have enough space to spawn it safely. It's when I'm dragging it into position that I teleport way out into the middle of nowhere, and then killed while the piece I was holding gets stuck out there unless I restart. With enough patience I got through the troublesome part and finished the rock wall. But thank god it's already been flagged to fix, forge team is really impressing me.

Also anybody interested in helping with the spawning and possibly the lighting on my new BTB map Higher Ground? I'll add some pics or a gif to show it's current progress for those who are curious.

Karl2177

I've been spawning the largest rock chunk at all different spots in my map to make sure I have enough space to spawn it safely. It's when I'm dragging it into position that I teleport way out into the middle of nowhere, and then killed while the piece I was holding gets stuck out there unless I restart. With enough patience I got through the troublesome part and finished the rock wall. But thank god it's already been flagged to fix, forge team is really impressing me.

Also anybody interested in helping with the spawning and possibly the lighting on my new BTB map Higher Ground? I'll add some pics or a gif to show it's current progress for those who are curious.
I get that too. What happens is when it spawns, it seemingly ignores your current position. It'll partially spawn around you, then the game says that it shouldn't happen and it teleports you to a "safe" location, which on Alpine happens to be an insta kill zone.

Fuchsdh

So is it just me, or is Forge really missing large-scale wall pieces? I just want smooth, featureless surfaces, but the thickness of primitives means I can't use them for walls, and even switching wall pieces to the same color they look kind of ugly if I'm trying to make something two or three units high.

Top Bottom