• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

Well, since Tidal maps are unplayable in custom games (as far as I can tell?) I dont know when this will be playable... but, I am 100% complete with all required gameplay elements.

Monolith (Beta)
nQNbJQQh.png

0X0rf8Hh.png

xfQ3vmIh.png

aCVtxGVh.png

LmEzsAeh.png

xXmCHehh.png
(I deleted spawns and stuff to take pics real quick)

Zones, Volumes, Cameras, Weapons, Spawns, etc are all finished, I will likely still be doing a few more art passes though. Additional foliage and finalizing the lighting has yet to be completed.

But I will probably focus on checking the boxes for my other maps, although I doubt any will be selected for matchmaking (Ive missed out in the past 3 games, dont see that changing now) I would like to get all my completed maps up to spec so I can post them in that thread and update the full nilla suite.

Feel free to download it and look around in forge, as always, Im open to any and all feedback, positive or negative (constructive criticism is highly encouraged)

edit: holy shit I thought I lost this forever but I found it!!
OhTaZg5l.png

nillapuddin

Nice recovery dude. I'm hyped for both.

Thanks man, yeah I gave up all hope, but I found the imgur thumbnail I made for my stream that day and noticed the date, then looked and found a save from the same day. Can you blame me I thought it was lost, the name was "rc1" ???? wtf was I thinking.

Alright then I would wait another few days then try again, if you know he'll get back to you then all you have to do is get yourself noticed.

Dick pics it is

Nilla, you're gonna change the structure colors down the line, right?

Uhhhhh nope. Now I've flipped back to being enamored with the white blocks and clear skybox. I know it's cheesy but I want this Relic to actually look pristine and alive (hence my desire for more foliage)

I know everybody hates my spotlessly clean remakes of old dirty maps but the heart wants what the heart wants lol.

JDB

Banned
Uhhhhh nope. Now I've flipped back to being enamored with the white blocks and clear skybox. I know it's cheesy but I want this Relic to actually look pristine and alive (hence my desire for more foliage)

I know everybody hates my spotlessly clean remakes of old dirty maps but the heart wants what the heart wants lol.
It doesn't look pristine in my opinion, it just looks like it doesn't have any textures applied to it and out of place. I feel like almost all of your remakes the art is what hurts them the most. The geometry is on point, but you tend to color-code everything in bright colors. Why must you hurt me Nilla.

nillapuddin

It doesn't look pristine in my opinion, it just looks like it doesn't have any textures applied to it and out of place. I feel like almost all of your remakes the art is what hurts them the most. The geometry is on point, but you tend to color-code everything in bright colors. Why must you hurt me Nilla.

The first part of beating an addiction is acceptance.

I accept my flaw, but I'm afraid I may never make it up those steps

nillapuddin

I'm the same way. I like the cleaner, yet still poppy colors. That being said, the spire looks off. Those lines seem weird.

Which I understand, another problem is it takes so long to generate lighting, that doing small color tweaks is too slow for me right now.

I'd love to see other people's take on it, unofficial nillas relic color contest. If anyone thinks they have a better vision for the color scheme, please go for it and send me a screenshot, if it's awesome I'll steal it and give you no credit! :)

edit: I was being facetious, but I am totally open to suggestions and critiques, I love white too much, show me different!

Wait, what?

I've tried 4-5 times and I can't get it to load in customs, the game just freezes and eventually crashes every time.

TCKaos

I've tried 4-5 times and I can't get it to load in customs, the game just freezes and eventually crashes every time.

I just tried to load yours and it crashed, then I tried with my map and it crashed, so I decided to just make a map that was a chunk of land with a spawnpoint, and that worked.

I don't know what the issue is.

The Kree

Banned
Well, since Tidal maps are unplayable in custom games (as far as I can tell?) I dont know when this will be playable... but, I am 100% complete with all required gameplay elements.

Monolith (Beta)

(I deleted spawns and stuff to take pics real quick)

Zones, Volumes, Cameras, Weapons, Spawns, etc are all finished, I will likely still be doing a few more art passes though. Additional foliage and finalizing the lighting has yet to be completed.

But I will probably focus on checking the boxes for my other maps, although I doubt any will be selected for matchmaking (Ive missed out in the past 3 games, dont see that changing now) I would like to get all my completed maps up to spec so I can post them in that thread and update the full nilla suite.

Feel free to download it and look around in forge, as always, Im open to any and all feedback, positive or negative (constructive criticism is highly encouraged)
It looks like a utopian beach resort. I dig it.

Just lost a lot of progress in my Tidal map when hit with a Lighting loading screen that booted me to the main menu 😓. When will I ever learn to quicksave every few minutes?

I just played Viking in BTB. What the fuck, I freaked out for a moment because I thought I was playing Halo 4 lmao. It's one of the best map recreations I've seen.

nillapuddin

Retrieving Data...

I did a color pass on Rats Nest, since I willingly acknowledge that people dont like it, and I knew it from the beginning, I just couldnt figure the colors out (making it on parallax was a mistake, the lighting is hard to reign in)

But I think I found a scheme that people will enjoy, going master chief style, a few dark muted greens with tan accents.

zPPQNEG.png

When I finalize the re-release Im pretty sure I will be using this color scheme.

Im done forging for the day I think, and it needs some extra polish, but feel free to drop in it and take a look, for the nilla rerelease suite I want lots of opinions and critiques, I made the maps for myself already, might aswell tweak them to the liking of the community now.

WIP Rats Nest

I love the new militaristic colors nilla, but I'm still iffy on those energy columns. I usually save those for Forerunner installations.

And that looks sick, Sik.

nillapuddin

The color scheme looks good!

'preciate it.

New project.

eagkqiJ.png

thiiis guy.

I love the new militaristic colors nilla, but I'm still iffy on those energy columns. I usually save those for Forerunner installations.

Specific objects being called out, Now were getting somewhere!!

Thats a pretty good reason, I used that object for the dimensions it had, but if I will explore some different pieces if it doesn't appear to fit.

I really want to take as much outside opinion as possible, so if your lurking and want to throw something out there please do.

The problem with online posting is people either only say positive things, or say nothing.

Yall are my last hope, gaf, I'm probably going to make a big post where I show off and review all my maps before I officialize them again, any opinions throw em out there. I actually want to hear dissenting opinions, trust me, I have thick and reasonable skin.

Karl2177

Building on Tidal: spawn 100+ lights away from your map, then generate lighting. It should overload the lighting engine. Then it should be available to load in customs just fine.

Karl2177

screenshot-original-18.png

So I've been teasing it for a while, but I finally have a working, finalized version of the map formerly known as Refraction. It's now called Glass House. It's named for the large panels of glass covering the exterior of the map. It stems from the phrase "don't throw stones in glass houses" and so I decided to incorporate that into the name and it's description.

Some of y'all have played on the alpha version of the map, and not a lot has changed since then. The map layout largely remains the same, with some slight changes to accommodate the desired aesthetics or from feedback received during the testing. I'm very appreciative of all the feedback I received in my playtests and hopefully I was able to address the issues without getting rid of the things that people liked. Having said that, there are still some changes that I wanted to make, but I'm still limited by the pieces available and the mechanics behind some aspects of building a map.

The design was originally done in 2009, as a more vertical take on The Pit. It was revised in December 2010 when Anchor 9 released and some concepts were taken from it. It as then left abandoned for years because Reach wasn't a fair vertical game and Halo 4 was well... I figured with Halo 5's great mobility additions now was the best time to bring it to life. It also helped that Halo 5's Forge was such an improvement over previous versions.

screenshot-original-14.png

I'll write more on this later, but I wanted to use lines on the ground to help guide the players' eyes along paths that I want them to take. These lines will hopefully guide players to the Sniper and the lift.

Halo Waypoint: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...Karl2177_f11354d9-92e4-460c-a900-a6584f11774c

That's one of the prettiest maps I have ever seen. I like the pathing mechanic too.

Does anyone have tips for reducing framerate when looking at the center of a map from afar?

That's one of the prettiest maps I have ever seen. I like the pathing mechanic too.

Does anyone have tips for reducing framerate when looking at the center of a map from afar?

If you've gone over the usual 1024 object limit and well into the 1500 range, it's a bug apparently. Fingers crossed it'll be patched. :)

If not, there are certain objects that cause frame issues - trees, ivy, steam volumes etc.

@Karl - great work dude, it's come a long way if its the same map I remember playtesting months ago! :)

ffVPyAY.gif

Fuchsdh

So if you have a symmetrical map that's only mirrored on one axis, there's no magic "flip everything" dupe option to create the other side, right?

Karl2177

So if you have a symmetrical map that's only mirrored on one axis, there's no magic "flip everything" dupe option to create the other side, right?
Correct. My solution is kinda hacky and isn't very efficient. I grab everything on a single vertical slice, group and dupe, move it, ungroup, and then do a mass 180 rotate for all the objects. If you mess up the rotation axis, you have to delete and restart. It doesn't work for any dynamic object, only for phased objects.

JDB

Banned
I love what the Forge team has done to make ground near the water have a sand texture. Really sells coastlines.

Top Bottom