• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

JDB

Banned
Expectations (forge before light bake)

http://i.imgur.com/xYP2XSC.png

Reality (after light bake)

http://i.imgur.com/TP4LuD0.png

Am I the only one who is confused on the verbage, because I feel like when light bake is turned off, the objects should always look like they do in the first screenshot. I know I've complained before about this, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Ha, you're right. The any publicity is good publicity approach.
Send a tweet to Tom French about it.

nillapuddin

Send a tweet to Tom French about it.

oops. I was posting on my lunch break and accidently linked the wrong picture

/begin color rant
this is an example of every object being colored black with identical metallic settings

TP4LuD0h.png

Its so frustrating how different they look.

/end color rant

//begin light map rant

First Appearance when entering Forge

xYP2XSCh.png

After baking lights (Light Bake: On)

SnwivKqh.png

After baking lights (Light Bake: Off)

c9Pw3xNh.png

//end light map rant

This is what my structure looks like right now

ongQfZnh.png

the reason it looks different is because I have 24 invisible lights (point) shining a low level gray light on the entire structure so they dont become so crazy dark, but clearly even this is not a beautiful solution. I just wish it could look like in the first screenshot : /

Okay, so I've taken a lot of feedback on board for my map Fever Pitch - even stuff that personally I didn't think was a big problem - but I'm so glad I did.

Back shotgun tunnel? There was a cave-in. It's gone. New routes, new lighting, new locations and call outs. Stronghold locations have been adjusted also. WyvernZu also ran through it with me to improve lighting across the board, and reduce negative space.

If anyone ends up running some sweaty 4v4's on this, please let me know if any feedback.

Download link

Quick question about forging time of day and matchmaking:

I know Recurve has a sunset issue in the eyes of many, but does the Paradise version of Tidal still pose a problem (in your guys' opinions)?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What's currently the most universally acknowledged Prettiest map - in terms of lighting, design, aesthetics?

Doesn't need to be fun, just pretty.

What's currently the most universally acknowledged Prettiest map - in terms of lighting, design, aesthetics?

Graphics whore.... ;)

Edit: Will any of the really good Forge maps be introduced to Arena or other Ranked playlists? Haven't played any of the forge maps but ones like the Beaver Creek remake looks good.

NOKYARD

If you are looking to show off Forge maps, any of the maps in the 2v2 playlist will do. If you just need 1 Shurima is a damn fine example of pretty.

There's also this.

nillapuddin

Nok round 2 from earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqnUEWJzRD0

Im completely enamored with this project already

edit:
tbh I was ready to retire from forge in this game til now, Relic is a map Ive been trying to make since Reach, and Highlands is probably the most ambitious remake ever created. I was ready to hang up my monitor, but now Im getting hyped again. Hopefully I can help Nok a few times to scratch the itch, if not I might find myself geo-complete in a map nobody cares about

FyreWulff

Nok round 2 from earlier

edit:
tbh I was ready to retire from forge in this game til now, Relic is a map Ive been trying to make since Reach, and Highlands is probably the most ambitious remake ever created. I was ready to hang up my monitor, but now Im getting hyped again. Hopefully I can help Nok a few times to scratch the itch, if not I might find myself geo-complete in a map nobody cares about

I've always liked your work, keep at it. Don't end up angry and burned out like I did.

NOKYARD

Nok round 2 from earlier

edit:

I liked the part where i made it look like i wasn't making it all up as i went along

Your Highlands will be phenomenal if you can get the framerate under control, and i consider your Relic to be a front-runner as far as Team Remake is concerned. Just hope for 343i to release some 1 sided game types.

nillapuddin

I've always liked your work, keep at it. Don't end up angry like I did.

much appreciated man, I certainly didn't mean because I had become disgruntled or anything. I just felt like I've peaked in this game, I've never doubted that I'm one of the near best at doing what I love (clearly, 7 years in, remakes are my passion) but I don't have the creativity to keep up with alotta folks.

I have a very mathematical brain, the puzzle solving of forcing shapes into remake dimensions is the part I derive the most joy from. There's a reason in Reach my talents were so praised, we didn't have much, and I always found a way to make it work. But now we have so many pieces, and being hyper conservative with object count isn't as important as how it looks now.

My passion projects are all gone, unless there is a grave injustice being committed, I don't like jumping on remakes that are already well covered. I think the only maps left undone are ones that cant, or shouldn't be remade at this point.
I thought of 3-4 maps during this post that I wouldnt mind doing

Thanks again for the compliment fyre, I hope you can come back to it at some point. Its all just for fun :)

nillapuddin

I liked the part where i made it look like i wasn't making it all up as i went along

Your Highlands will be phenomenal if you can get the framerate under control, and i consider your Relic to be a front-runner as far as Team Remake is concerned. Just hope for 343i to release some 1 sided game types.

and you left the camera on Halo 3 for the last 45 minutes! lol

Thanks on Highlands, its quite the feat I agree. Dunno if I can reign the framerate in, that thing is a beast. But Ill try, and glad Relic is getting some love, thats a real passion project

*prays for 1 flag*

obviously you know Im an open book so if anything is under consideration and needs spit and polish just let me know

NOKYARD

Figures. The one time i didn't check to make sure the source switched. Now i have to consider changing to a 3 screen setup.

In other news, some of my original Halo 3 Grifball courts are now available on the Xbox One thanks to the Halo 3 Grifball Throwback playlist.

Karl2177

Does anyone know what the online requirements are for Forge? I'm moving out this weekend and into a place with less than stellar internet.

Thanks on Highlands, its quite the feat I agree. Dunno if I can reign the framerate in, that thing is a beast. But Ill try, and glad Relic is getting some love, thats a real passion project

*prays for 1 flag*

obviously you know Im an open book so if anything is under consideration and needs spit and polish just let me know

Hey nilla, took a peek around Megalith - couple of things that I have feedback about:

Terrain - spot on.

Rock platform/ramp made of flats... It just looks a bit naff (IMO) I'd consider swapping it out for something else.

The reason you get lighting issues is because you've used triangles. For some reason, they just don't light right - I know you've alleviated this with invisible lights, but you might want to consider swapping them out for something else.

Budget - you have a lot to play around with still - I'd look at adding extra detailing on the structures themselves if it doesn't impact performance.

And lastly... The white. It's a love it or hate it colour, and personally, I kind of like it, but I can see its going to be a cause of some contention when it's compared to other remakes of Relic.

My two cents!

(Please don't hate me, I know criticism is shit when it's not all flowers and sunshine)

NOKYARD

Does anyone know what the online requirements are for Forge? I'm moving out this weekend and into a place with less than stellar internet.
Save often, often.

Should still work as long as there are no long disconnects. Can you connect by ethernet?
Why'd Nok have to do a location scout for a Avalanche re-make when he already did so with his Griffball map?
We looked at that in the video. There is only about 30 feet of overlap between the two versions.
Who cares about Avalanche, there should be enough pieces to recreate Sidewinder now.
Been there. Forged that.

nillapuddin

Hey nilla, took a peek around Megalith - couple of things that I have feedback about:

yassss

Terrain - spot on.

Rock platform/ramp made of flats... It just looks a bit naff (IMO) I'd consider swapping it out for something else.

Yeah thats my one terrain based regret, they just dont really have flat and thin enough pieces that you can also still drive a hog under, but I would def revisit it

The reason you get lighting issues is because you've used triangles. For some reason, they just don't light right - I know you've alleviated this with invisible lights, but you might want to consider swapping them out for something else.

Budget - you have a lot to play around with still - I'd look at adding extra detailing on the structures themselves if it doesn't impact performance.

Ill keep the triangles in mind, add detailing, ehh. I like the look of it right now, how sleek it is, but everythings up for alteration, Ill consider adding some knick knacks

And lastly... The white. It's a love it or hate it colour, and personally, I kind of like it, but I can see its going to be a cause of some contention when it's compared to other remakes of Relic.

well its gray now, but yeah I personally would love it to be matte white all the way, damn lighting system just wont allow it apparently.

(Please don't hate me, I know criticism is shit when it's not all flowers and sunshine)

flowers and sunshine doesn't help anybody! I much appreciate it, as I've said many times, Im over being praised, bring on the critiques.

Wanted to say sorry I havent been able to bounce around lateley, my new schedule isnt as EU friendly, I was having fun messin about awhile back, but alas, actual responsibility takes precedent

Karl2177

Save often, often.

Should still work as long as there are no long disconnects. Can you connect by ethernet?

Because it's so rural, satellite internet is the only option. I can (and am setting up cat6a Ethernet through the whole building) and will use Ethernet to connect to the switch, which goes to the router and modem and all that jazz. I'm just worried that the ping is going to be the killing factor.

Because it's so rural, satellite internet is the only option. I can (and am setting up cat6a Ethernet through the whole building) and will use Ethernet to connect to the switch, which goes to the router and modem and all that jazz. I'm just worried that the ping is going to be the killing factor.

Satellite is notoriously iffy, but I know a guy in Ireland that played on XBL the entire time using a 3G dongle. It can be done.

Save often, often.

We looked at that in the video. There is only about 30 feet of overlap between the two versions.

For whatever reason your location scouting video doesn't load for me, so I didn't get to see that. Glad you're remaking the best BTB though. Do it justice.

Sean from Forge Labs featured Fever Pitch, which is, well - fucking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF9pxbDdkSM

Good video and congrats Sik. It's definitely one of the most unique maps right now.

Nice! I like how receptive the Forge Labs channel is. I'll take a look at the map when I get settled into my new place.

I came across this map the other day. Not a fan of this guy's commentary, but the map looks really good.
https://youtu.be/gSZwmdp1aRw

Yea this has been a popular one. It's crazy how accurate it is.

As far as natural environments go, mine isn't done yet but I have heard good things

We need more fantasy trees in different colored leaves >.>

nillapuddin

guys, I fucking hate this game sometimes.

I just spent 20~ minutes grouping and locking every object on my map because I found out that 62 objects are glitched into infinity and I want to (delete all unlocked).

game lost connection to server or whatever the fuck.

this shit happens for no reason, remember in past games, when you exited out of a forge map and didnt save, you can immediately load back into it and it will still be there, thank god that temporary feature is gone now, that would be horrible.

edit: boot back into the map, move 2 inches, lost connection. Im tellin ya, I must have an enemy at the server center, they pick on me

ayyy atta boy

can we for the love of god get off this page, it takes forever to load on my phone

guys, I fucking hate this game sometimes.

I just spent 20~ minutes grouping and locking every object on my map because I found out that 62 objects are glitched into infinity and I want to (delete all unlocked).

game lost connection to server or whatever the fuck.

this shit happens for no reason, remember in past games, when you exited out of a forge map and didnt save, you can immediately load back into it and it will still be there, thank god that temporary feature is gone now, that would be horrible.

edit: boot back into the map, move 2 inches, lost connection. Im tellin ya, I must have an enemy at the server center, they pick on me

ayyy atta boy

can we for the love of god get off this page, it takes forever to load on my phone

lol at least it doesn't have giant forge gifs

Karl2177

Finally all moved, but it'll be a few days before I can get my Xbox all set up. I have an idea that I want to get blocked out as soon as I can.

nillapuddin

So I went through the ardous task of locking every visible object on my highlands and deleting all unlocked, it freed up about 50 objects, (they were groups of terrain that glitched way out into the atmosphere)

I believe it's hovering at 1230~ objects now and doesn't appear to have any framerate issues. I did have to sacrifice the wasp and it's accompanying geometry :'(

..but framerate is king.

Not going to lie, brought some friends in to test, ended up playing a full length plus overtime HEATED 2v2 CTF match, it was awesome. That is just a great map.

Will get the updated version up tmrw hopefully.

Finally all moved, but it'll be a few days before I can get my Xbox all set up. I have an idea that I want to get blocked out as soon as I can.

I'm guessing a backwash remake

NOKYARD

Just a heads-up. There are some VERY VERY cool things coming to Forge & Customs soon. Not even talking about Win10 Forge.

That is all i will say on the matter.

JDHarbs

Just a heads-up. There are some VERY VERY cool things coming to Forge & Customs soon. Not even talking about Win10 Forge.

o_0

Also, is there a deadline for remakes submissions? It's looking like my time is going to be super limited until after August.

Edit:

Which remake are you submitting?

[edit] I guess i should have answered your questions before asking one.

Don't know of any specific deadline, but will post if i have any info.
Sounds good. Trying to finish up Condemned, but work has been taking my free time lately.

NOKYARD

o_0

Also, is there a deadline for remakes submissions? It's looking like my time is going to be super limited until after August.
Which remake are you submitting?

[edit] I guess i should have answered your questions before asking one.

Don't know of any specific deadline, but will post if i have any info.

You tease. I'm anxiously awaiting file browser and prefabs.
And some upgraded scripting would be sweet.

Top Bottom