• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closing in on the 1000 gamerscore for this game. The campaign is just great. But as I said before... too many Warden battles, and hideous (end story spoiler)
Cortana redesign

The Battle of Sunaion may be one of my favourite missions ever in the Halo franchise. Awesome buildup with incredible moving music. The opening cutscene was great (Tanaka saying a few words, everybody getting ready for battle). But the fact that you're conducting a top secret ONI mission and helping Arbiter with a civil war that has huge implications... That was cool. The combat in general was great, classic Halo, fighting with former Covenant forces against purely Covenant forces (until the end of the mission).

Best part of the mission was that it was drop dead gorgeous, dripping in beautiful orange, purple, and blue shades.

Playing Sunaion right now on my Legendary run and getting a hell of a lot more dialogue from Osiris and even the Covenant. Buck yelling at Vale when she shot him "We had a talk about this Vale!" or a Grunt yelling, "I don't want to die here, actually, I don't want to die anywhere!" When a grunt died, an Elite yelled, "That's what your'e supposed to do, Grunt!"

Gosh, this game is beautiful too. The rolling waves and the water puddles on the ground as plasma flashes past them, reflecting on everything, ships in the background fighting, grenades going off, Osiris dealing with fools like they need to. The character models are fantastic too.

All this at 60fps. Game deserves more success. I hope it has legs and gets some boosts from the holiday rush.

Fuchsdh

Closing in on the 1000 gamerscore for this game. The campaign is just great. But as I said before... too many Warden battles, and hideous (end story spoiler)
Cortana redesign

The Battle of Sunaion may be one of my favourite missions ever in the Halo franchise. Awesome buildup with incredible moving music. The opening cutscene was great (Tanaka saying a few words, everybody getting ready for battle). But the fact that you're conducting a top secret ONI mission and helping Arbiter with a civil war that has huge implications... That was cool. The combat in general was great, classic Halo, fighting with former Covenant forces against purely Covenant forces (until the end of the mission).

Best part of the mission was that it was drop dead gorgeous, dripping in beautiful orange, purple, and blue shades.

I honestly really like her "armored" design, save for the fact that it doesn't really transition to her actual head (and I think her H4 face or H2A face were better options as well.)

Playing Sunaion right now on my Legendary run and getting a hell of a lot more dialogue from Osiris and even the Covenant. Buck yelling at Vale when she shot him "We had a talk about this Vale!" or a Grunt yelling, "I don't want to die here, actually, I don't want to die anywhere!" When a grunt died, an Elite yelled, "That's what your'e supposed to do, Grunt!"

Gosh, this game is beautiful too. The rolling waves and the water puddles on the ground as plasma flashes past them, reflecting on everything, ships in the background fighting, grenades going off, Osiris dealing with fools like they need to. The character models are fantastic too.

All this at 60fps. Game deserves more success. I hope it has legs and gets some boosts from the holiday rush.

Buck made a quip to an Elite along the lines of "your mother" that cracked me up. The benefit of the fireteam is you get 4x more opportunities for dialogue with the IWHBYD skull on.

Placement matches sure are fun!

Another Platinum for the books I guess. All there is left is FFA. Don’t even know if I’ll bother with it, eight player FFA doesn’t sounds very fun…

I honestly really like her "armored" design, save for the fact that it doesn't really transition to her actual head (and I think her H4 face or H2A face were better options as well.)

Buck made a quip to an Elite along the lines of "your mother" that cracked me up. The benefit of the fireteam is you get 4x more opportunities for dialogue with the IWHBYD skull on.

I think they tried to make her face more explicitly a younger Halsey, didn't they? If not exact, then certainly reminiscent of....

Which fits, considering
What Cortana is doing with the Guardians, promising to make people 'more' than they currently are, is basically an exact repeat of Halsey and the Spartan program

Leyasu

Banned
Had some great games of BTB again tonight. Love that mode. But got a few US servers!! Really 343, I thought that we had been through this?? One was so bad I splattered a guy who walked it off, and where I was getting 2 BR shotted.

Now you guys are swimming in req cash, couldn't you get certain affinity to port a few BTB maps from halo 2 and 4 yo boost the count??
obviously making sure that they come up in matchmaking lol

Nephtes

Finally finished the story today, here are my basic thoughts:
1. Easily the best damn controlling game in the series.
2. Uneven story at best.
3. Didn't feel as personal as Halo 4.
4. Handling of Cortana was abysmal. This is not Sarah Kerrigan, the
flip of the switch to straight up villain was jarring in a bad way.
And the new face is unnervingly wrong after the really great facial design in 4. It's just so disappointing after an amazing send off for the character in 4...
5. Found myself not really caring about any of the characters except for one and she wasn't even main cast.
6. Sarah Palmer needs to be killed off. Can't stand how she's written.
7. The level with the tank felt like 343 said, "well this is a Halo, here's the level where you get a tank." Even though having a tank there really didn't mesh with the story beats (regardless of how they tried to shoehorn it in there).
8. Loved Exuberant Witness... One likeable character in sea of "meh".
9. Bungie definitely got the better dialogue quips for Filion as Cayde-6 than 343 managed to bang out for Buck.
10. The one highlight in the story, for me anyway was
Cortana insulting Fireteam Osiris one by one. Managed to convey how I feel about them.
Poor replacements for Chief.

TheXbox

Just wrapped up the campaign. I loved playing it, but my god the story is such a trainwreck. And those Warden fights? Kills any and all desire I have to replay the campaign, which was otherwise a huge step up from H4.

They need to rethink where they're going with this universe.
The AI takeover is cliche and totally played out - even in the Halo universe. Cortana's sudden 180 is tantamount to character assassination. The plot may be comprehensible (unlike H4), but is otherwise totally unambitious and pitifully executed. The dialogue is lame, every other character besides Chief, Cortana, and fucking Roland (?) lack nuance or growth. Who the hell is Locke, and why should I care? Who are Vale and Tanaka? What's their relationship with each other, and with Locke? We get none of that. Buck is there to please fans, I guess, but they only use him as a crutch to prop up Locke every time Buck fucks up and Locke has to save him. Oh, and it's got a cliffhanger ending. Because if any franchise should've learned its fucking lesson in that department, it's Halo. Only difference between this and H2 is that this time I don't care what happens next.

/rant. Game is good.

edit: ^ what he said

Nephtes

Cortana's sudden 180 is tantamount to character assassination.

So much this.
Worst part of the game. I could handle everything else ... But that is a giant kick in the nuts.

So this is what wrestling fans feel like when their favorite hero character turns into a heel arbitrarily, huh?
It's fake and it still stings.

Montresor

I didn't mind (end story spoiler)
Cortana becoming a villain at all. I just... didn't like how manly she looked, that's all. Big shoulders and they completely changed her face too.

RobNBanks

Banned
So much this.
Worst part of the game. I could handle everything else ... But that is a giant kick in the nuts.

So this is what wrestling fans feel like when their favorite hero character turns into a heel arbitrarily, huh?
It's fake and it still stings.

wrestling fans don't feel anything at this point

ShutterMunster

Finally finished the story today, here are my basic thoughts:
1. Easily the best damn controlling game in the series.
2. Uneven story at best.
3. Didn't feel as personal as Halo 4.
4. Handling of Cortana was abysmal. This is not Sarah Kerrigan, the
flip of the switch was jarring in a bad way.
And the new face is unnervingly wrong after the really great facial design in 4. It's just so disappointing after an amazing send off for the character in 4...
5. Found myself not really caring about any of the characters except for one and she wasn't even main cast.
6. Sarah Palmer needs to be killed off. Can't stand how she's written.
7. The level with the tank felt like 343 said, "well this is a Halo, here's the level where you get a tank." Even though having a tank there really didn't mesh with the story beats (regardless of how they tried to shoehorn it in there).
8. Loved Exuberant Witness... One likeable character in sea of "meh".
9. Bungie definitely got the better dialogue quips for Filion as Cayde-6 than 343 managed to bang out for Buck.
10. The one highlight in the story, for me anyway was
Cortana insulting Fireteam Osiris one by one. Managed to convey how I feel about them.
Poor replacements for Chief.

I'm with you except for #8, because I don't even remember who that is.

This game's narrative was a mess. I played through it in two co-op sittings and was thoroughly uninterested. I didn't even love the encounters much. Luckily it's got that BOMB ASS MULTIPLAYER, which is really what I came here for anyway.

Yep i agree with both of you. I'm not sure what 343's priorities were for the Campaign, but it feels rushed to me in the sense that it came together too late for them to make any substantial refinements to it. Unless they really thought 7 similar boss battles would give the game weight, among the other things that did the opposite.

They seem to "get" Halo but at the same time are unable to capture its essence. I think the Scorpion is a good example. These missions weren't anywhere near AotCR, The Ark, or even Coastal Highway (the last level is more fun in a Wraith anyhow). At this point, I'd be fine with every level in Halo 6 being a copy of the best levels from the original trilogy. There are some cool and fun stuff in Halo 5, but there isn't a level that I feel will stand the test of time as far as its gameplay and story elements are concerned. Blue Team and Sanghelios maybe.

Chief among the criticisms I have of the campaign are how busy the comm channels are. There's a whole lot of telling and not a lot of showing; the comms are flooded with noise, leaving little room for lulls or subtlety in the information being fed to the player. The exposition in particular feels contrived and jarring. With Team Osiris, anytime Vale has to explain something, i'm completely taken out of it because it doesn't feel naturally occurring to me. Furthermore, I don't come away any more interested in who she is or what she does because she doesn't feel relevant to anything that is happening. Osiris could have been one person and the story wouldn't be any different.

"343's story was kindergarten level; i understood what was going on and i mean, i get it and all, but there's nothing special about it"

*relates to the villains more than the protags*

Nephtes

I'm with you except for #8, because I don't even remember who that is.

This game's narrative was a mess. I played through it in two co-op sittings and was thoroughly uninterested. I didn't even love the encounters much. Luckily it's got that BOMB ASS MULTIPLAYER, which is really what I came here for anyway.

Exuberant Witness is the
quirky monitor of the Genesis installation who's only ability is to open doors (which she exuberantly tells you multiple times). It's very endearing.

Totally agree with you concerning the multiplayer. I wish Destiny's PVP felt this tight.

(and by that I mean arena modes. I'm not liking Warzone at all)

I didn't mind (end story spoiler)
Cortana becoming a villain at all. I just... didn't like how manly she looked, that's all. Big shoulders and they completely changed her face too.

Yeah she gained some weight. Got those chubby cheeks going on there. Like she is depressed over eating domain cake and icecream.

Exuberant Witness is the
quirky monitor of the Genesis installation who's only ability is to open doors (which she exuberantly tells you multiple times). It's very endearing.

Totally agree with you concerning the multiplayer. I wish Destiny's PVP felt this tight.

(and by that I mean arena modes. I'm not liking Warzone at all)

Uh, apparently she also has the ability to
kick AI inheritors the fuck off her planet, too

Detective

343i burned all the great Cards .

First it was the forerunner. In the past I just could visualized how they were. How advanced they are and what it would be like fighting them. All the mystery around the were just gone. We got and ugly design of humans turned into AI. And an ugly didact and a bad story.

Blue team.

Every fan waited for them to appear in video games. Well.. There you go. No story. They are just there. And no one cares.

Locke.. Well.. There is nothing here...Just a failed experiment.

Halo 6.

Human VS AI.

Skynet.....

RobNBanks

Banned
343i burned all the great Cards .

First it was the forerunner. In the past I just could visualized how they were. How advanced they are and what it would be like fighting them. All the mystery around the were just gone. We got and ugly design of humans turned into AI. And an ugly didact and a bad story.

Probably the most disappointing aspect for me. Sometimes things are better left to the imagination.

Ocho

Tired of playing solo? Want to hang out and chat instead of doing work? Want to see pics of crazy broken arms?

Say no more and join our official HaloGAF discord group https://discord.gg/0bfhDvCfOJWaIH4D. Best way to find some people to play with! We have groups all nights (US).

Stop playing alone and join discord (apps available for mobile and desktop).

Madness

Probably the most disappointing aspect for me. Sometimes things are better left to the imagination.

Yup. BioWare did same thing with reapers, protheans etc. I'm never a fan of having everything explained or past 'stuff' brought back and you lose that wonder and mystery. There's no 'wonder' left in the universe for me. That feeling the first time you stepped foot on Halo, or saw the Milky Way Galaxy being on the Ark. I guess that's just a consequence of being 6 games into the series (7 if you count ODST).

Yup. BioWare did same thing with reapers, protheans etc. I'm never a fan of having everything explained or past 'stuff' brought back and you lose that wonder and mystery. There's no 'wonder' left in the universe for me. That feeling the first time you stepped foot on Halo, or saw the Milky Way Galaxy being on the Ark. I guess that's just a consequence of being 6 games into the series (7 if you count ODST).

The reapers were atleast gold 1 in team slayer

BraXzy

Tired of playing solo? Want to hang out and chat instead of doing work? Want to see pics of crazy broken arms?

Say no more and join our official HaloGAF discord group https://discord.gg/0bfhDvCfOJWaIH4D. Best way to find some people to play with! We have groups all nights (US).

Stop playing alone and join discord (apps available for mobile and desktop).

I've finally got round to downloading Discord so I can actually use this link now :L

Ballistik

So I decided to get my friend placed in SWAT as he had not played any matches. I'm Onyx and we played 10 matches. We won every single game. He gets placed in Diamond. His KDA was always positive and was either the top player or right below me. We did play a lot of Onyx players towards the end too.. What gives?

So I decided to get my friend placed in SWAT as he had not played any matches. I'm Onyx and we played 10 matches. We won every single game. He gets placed in Diamond. His KDA was always positive and was either the top player or right below me. What gives?

Onyx is reserved for people like me with -KDA and losing records.

I can't get past Silver 2 in Team Slayer.

The reapers were atleast gold 1 in team slayer

I am dead.

DEAD I SAY.

JackHerer

I've had some truly horrible BTB games today. Things seemed to go downhill as soon as I hit diamond. Slayer is absolutely terrible in Halo 5 BTB especially.

I've just had three games in a row in which much of my team quit and the rest of the team is either afk or crouching in the base because of how badly we are getting wrecked.

The matchmaking is bad, the quit penalty basically non existent, and the removal of join in progress feels like a sick joke. Shit like this makes me feel like quitting the game.

Edit: Sorry about the crying post. Obviously nowhere near quitting the game but I can imagine your average joe would experience that and say fuck it and never go into that mode again.

I don't have the spare cash for a controller in general atm, but I'd be tempted to save extra and take the plunge on an Elite. Is it that much different to a regular black one?

Not sure if it's got anything different in terms of triggers and bumpers compared to the regular 3.5mm controllers, but the grips are amazing and I'd swear the build quality is a little bit better.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I don't have the spare cash for a controller in general atm, but I'd be tempted to save extra and take the plunge on an Elite. Is it that much different to a regular black one?

The Lunar White one feels a lot better than my default black one. The grips help, and the triggers, sticks, shoulder buttons, and d-pad are all so much better.

If you're asking about the Elite controller, well...paging Dr. Wes.

Juanfp

Just wrapped up the campaign. I loved playing it, but my god the story is such a trainwreck. And those Warden fights? Kills any and all desire I have to replay the campaign, which was otherwise a huge step up from H4.

They need to rethink where they're going with this universe.
The AI takeover is cliche and totally played out - even in the Halo universe. Cortana's sudden 180 is tantamount to character assassination. The plot may be comprehensible (unlike H4), but is otherwise totally unambitious and pitifully executed. The dialogue is lame, every other character besides Chief, Cortana, and fucking Roland (?) lack nuance or growth. Who the hell is Locke, and why should I care? Who are Vale and Tanaka? What's their relationship with each other, and with Locke? We get none of that. Buck is there to please fans, I guess, but they only use him as a crutch to prop up Locke every time Buck fucks up and Locke has to save him. Oh, and it's got a cliffhanger ending. Because if any franchise should've learned its fucking lesson in that department, it's Halo. Only difference between this and H2 is that this time I don't care what happens next.

/rant. Game is good.

edit: ^ what he said

I agree with you with the story, it was weird, the pacing feel off, I knew who the characters where because I read the book and comics but in Halo 5, beside Chief, Locke (I like him) and Cortana, I didn't care for the rest, like there where only there to say a phrase or two. In halo 4 I feel like every character, was there for a reason and contribute to the plot. Now we can remove all Blue Team and all Team Osiris and leave only Chief and Locke and the story will be basically the same. (Don't know if I express correctly with the last part)

Maybe I can add the Arbiter to the character I care.

This is probably my favourite Halo match ever.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dr Quincy M E/video/12891662

I've made a little Upload Studio edit, with the help of Halo 5 Theatre to get a different POV to mine.

Really great match with a superb and fitting ending.

Video spoilers below:

Starts off my team are down 39 v 46.
My team quickly gets to 41 first few seconds.
I go on a killing spree to help it to sudden death. 49 v 49...
Change POV to a team mate. Who gets a brawler kill... And dies at the same time.
Game tied 50 v 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom