• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Because it would probably require more effort to unrank it? They've pretty clearly got "add ranked playlist" down to a science at this point, and the lack of social ones would suggest that they don't have the option ready yet.

There's an isRanked boolean in the API that says whether or not the rank is shown to the player. Literally 1 additional line of code.

BraXzy

Can't stop, won't stop.

GC2LnQy.png

Haha that's amazing. I don't ground pound often enough, I need to check where I rank on that.

no stream for homblom or however you spell his name?

He was all over Halo pre-release but I haven't noticed his name once on Twitch since. I forgot about him till I saw his review a few days ago. It's always pro's like Ninja, Chig, Snip3down, Walshy and sometimes Naded at the top.

Zeta Oni

The lack of elites especially is baffling. I mean I know the whole "Canon" explanation for why, but since the UNSC and Arbys factions are working together why in hell would they not train together?

Well, first off I doubt very much the elites would train with the spartans, and I'm sure that feeling is mutual between both the elites and the humans.

Secondly, the reason i would guess they are no longer in the multiplayer is due to them having a different hit box since they have a very different shape.

Nothing really baffling about it.

They are way taller now.
In a number of the cutscenes they are about the same height as a Spartan. If 343 is actually worried about balance then they could just have them not available in arena or have skins be universal, and slim the elites down or something. Not that I really want to look at the ugly new elites any more than I have to . Have them look slim like CE elites and shorten them to solve the hitbox problem.

How would Elites even work with Spartan Abilities?
How wouldn't they? They've had jetpacks before so that gets dash, charge, and hover out of the way. Climbing things isn't exactly a human exclusive trait and the ground pound is borderline comic book joke level stupid so why not? Maybe we could finally get the plasma rifle back instead of the bland as hell Storm rifle.

Zeta Oni

I made a new HBO post: Halo 5's roots in the earliest Halo lore . Mentions major plot spoilers.

I'm really surprised no one's mentioned the
Cortana Letters
connection as far as I can see, here or elsewhere.

You know, I didn't know anything about these letters, but back around Halo 3 I always thought
cortana becoming the bad guy was definitely going to happen at some point.

That's why all those post earlier about her choices in the game amounting to "character assassination" was some BS imo, her choices not only fit in with her previous incarnations, but has been where the series was going for some time, apparently.

BraXzy

That's why 343 needs to change the lobby system. Let you be able to see who's going to be on your team and look at their service records. I miss that.

I do hope they do a rework of the lobby. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with if they do end up doing so.

Can people please vote for doubles? We need a permanent doubles playlist.

It's a shame that it has to be a weekend playlist. The weekend stuff should be wacky, fun daft things like the rocket playlist, or races or whatever. I've still voted doubles because I want it as a permanent thing.

Montresor

Getting closer and closer to the 1000/1000. I started my legendary playthrough today. Took awhile to get through the first mission Osiris but it was really fun. I took my time sitting back, intelligently guiding my squad inch by inch, taking advantage of long-range power weapons (Carbine / Light Rifle), etc...

I looooove the atmosphere in this first level. Snowy environments are the best.

Getting closer and closer to the 1000/1000. I started my legendary playthrough today. Took awhile to get through the first mission Osiris but it was really fun. I took my time sitting back, intelligently guiding my squad inch by inch, taking advantage of long-range power weapons (Carbine / Light Rifle), etc...

I looooove the atmosphere in this first level. Snowy environments are the best.

That's how you have to do it. Legendary is really where the team concept shines. You point out an enemy that you want to die and hit them with the final couple of shots.

Toa TAK

Banned
Can someone explain to me, as ignorant as I am, why they just won't add some of these playlists, like Doubles, as a permenant playlist? Why the constant rotation? By the end of Halo 3 and Reach's run we have plenty of playlists to chose from, population be damned.

mo60

Can someone explain to me, as ignorant as I am, why they just won't add some of these playlists, like Doubles, as a permenant playlist? Why the constant rotation? By the end of Halo 3 and Reach's run we have plenty of playlists to chose from, population be damned.

The online population(Probably around 100K concurrent still) for this game is good, but not good enough to support like 10+ playlist at one time.Most people will probably play mostly warzone, team slayer and etc while the smaller playlists have a smaller amount of people playing them

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think Doubles actually works EXTRA well in H5 thanks to mobility and maps.

But rockets is going to win for the same reason people overload on shrimp at the buffet.

Agree. Warzone is already complicated enough without classes of players, yeesh.

Would be hundreds of man hours to please a handful of dinosaur fetishists.

Uh, numerous games have demonstrated the ability to balance classes that not only feature different sizes, but even different movement, weapons and abilities.

Now, whether 343i could handle such a challenge is another question, but the notion that options, nuance and variety HURT a shooter, is just laughable.

Arena should be kept 'pure' for lack of a better term, but Warzone is already a mode governed by chaos. Adding additional layers to help battle the repetition of playing the same scenarios on the same 3 maps endlessly is not a bad idea in the slightest.

Montresor

That's how you have to do it. Legendary is really where the team concept shines. You point out an enemy that you want to die and hit them with the final couple of shots.

I'm sure I will hate myself and the game whenever I hit my first roadblock (aka Warden fight) heheh.

I did look up how to skip the hardest Warden fight though, so that will come in handy.

I played ffa for the first time in a while. It's fun because you don't have to rely on teammates but good god you guys are right, it should be 6 players. I think it would still be better than it is now if it was just 4. Everyone is shooting everyone, who possibly thought putting the same player count as standard team slayer was a good idea? You're lucky if you don't get shot within 3 seconds of spawning.

Doubles is awesome, but they should limit the power weapons.

I played ffa for the first time in a while. It's fun because you don't have to rely on teammates but good god you guys are right, it should be 6 players. I think it would still be better than it is now if it was just 4. Everyone is shooting everyone, who possibly thought putting the same player count as standard team slayer was a good idea? You're lucky if you don't get shot within 3 seconds of spawning.

Probably the same guy who thought last-shot kills on bosses in Warzone was a great idea...

6b9f7Q9.jpg

Ramirez

Am I reading this right, does that mean I'm 710 overall in the Slayer playlist? I have been getting absolutely dunked here lately, rolling solo 99% of the time. But I mean, some games I'm lucky to break 6 kills and I'm getting shot by 2-3 people on spawn. Feels bad man.

That's what cracks me up when some of y'all complain about people going 5-17 or whatever, that shit happens to me on the regular, and I would have to imagine it does to you all as well. This game can be absolutely brutal if things start snowballing on you.

malfcn

Some how I'm Gold 2 in Slayer and carry my team 18-15 (one quit). I get ranked down because a team mate Gold 4 goes an impressive 5-20.

I'm more surprised someone went 5-20.

5-20.

5 kills.
20 deaths.

But rockets is going to win for the same reason people overload on shrimp at the buffet.

Is doubles planned on becoming permanent at some point? I got a taste of it last time and I enjoyed it in H5 seems to work really well.

Some how I'm Gold 2 in Slayer and carry my team 18-15 (one quit). I get ranked down because a team mate Gold 4 goes an impressive 5-20.

I'm more surprised someone went 5-20.

5-20.

5 kills.
20 deaths.

he's probably an Aussie playing on a US server ;p

I've been rather unlucky with horrendous lag myself, and I'm only in BC, Canada.

Mind you, I can't play at all anymore - lose connection after ~3-5 seconds after any game starts... :/

Zeta Oni

This game can be absolutely brutal if things start snowballing on you.

That's the thing for me. I play a lot solo, and getting steamrolled in this game is not fun at all. And it happens alot more than you would think.

Had a warzone assault match earlier against a 6 man squad plus randoms, and it kept matching me against this squad. Team barely made it to REQ level 2.

And Halo 5's big issue is that if you don't feel like competing against other people like that (a feeling that comes up alot after being on the wrong side of an ass whipping), you have no other game mode to go play.

So now I'm switching back and forth between Halo 5 and R6:Siege terrorist hunt whenever halo is pissing me off.

Trup1aya

I made a new HBO post: Halo 5's roots in the earliest Halo lore . Mentions major plot spoilers.

I'm really surprised no one's mentioned the
Cortana Letters
connection as far as I can see, here or elsewhere.

Wow that's pretty cool, it also means we can (partially) blame bungie for story quality.

This is... Awesome...

I wasn't a big fan of the story execution in H5, but I'm perfectly ok with the plot in and of itself.

If 343i incorporated some of this dialogue into H6, I'd giggle like a school girl.

Doubles is awesome, but they should limit the power weapons.

I don't mind 8. I've played a lot of FFA. It makes you a lot sharper for Team Slayer. There are many times on maps like Fathom I can go a full 30 seconds or so without even seeing another player. Last night I had a game like this where I was top player with 12 kills and then for one reason or another the firefights were moving on the other side of the map where I wasn't. As I moved the fights seems to move farther away.

Strider

Doubles is amazing in H5. I voted for it again. My only issue with it is that I think power weapons and power ups are too frequent for doubles

Ramirez

That's the thing for me. I play a lot solo, and getting steamrolled in this game is not fun at all. And it happens alot more than you would think.

Had a warzone assault match earlier against a 6 man squad plus randoms, and it kept matching me against this squad. Team barely made it to REQ level 2.

And Halo 5's big issue is that if you don't feel like competing against other people like that (a feeling that comes up alot after being on the wrong side of an ass whipping), you have no other game mode to go play.

So now I'm switching back and forth between Halo 5 and R6:Siege terrorist hunt whenever halo is pissing me off.

Eh, I don't really mind losing. Playing better people is the only way you can get better, and this system is what I've wanted out of Halo for a long time.

Humbling if nothing else, heh.

Welfare

After a few weeks of getting my Onyx and not playing FFA, I decided to play it again. One match was all it took for me to empty my salt reserves. I was terrible that game.

Oh, and last-shot kills bosses, so don't bother with teamwork of any kind. Have fun!"

See, last shot kill bosses bug me a fair bit but imo they promote huge team play: Instead of all piling onto the boss, a handful of you take the boss, the rest run map / area control and stop the opposing team getting near. Basically team play massively increases your chance to win.

Zeta Oni

Eh, I don't really mind losing. Playing better people is the only way you can get better, and this system is what I've wanted out of Halo for a long time.

Humbling if nothing else, heh.

I agree with being humbled every now and then, but...

You only learn from a loss when there's something to be learned in the first place.

Losing due to a faulty team teaches nothing, outside how to waste time.

Furthermore, if the power gap between two teams is too large, it actually works the opposite way. People become fustrated and demotivated to continue.

There's nothing I enjoy more than a round (in any game, really) where it's close, and I cant tell who is gonna win or lose, cause then yeah, I'm probably learning, or at least meeting an acceptable challenge.

But losing again and again because the idea of map control is such a high level concept to your average player apparently, is just fustrating. Not humbling.

TheXbox

Finally got ranked. Platinum in Slayer. Went 7-3 in my placement matches. I guess that's ok, I don't really know what constitutes average in H5.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Doubles will be back regardless. I like it because it's the simplest way to teach perpetual randoms the effectiveness of teamwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom