• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass

Cyber Punk 2558, Guillotine edition

Screenshot-Original.png

The floating particle effects are so cool in motion.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Glass Dallas/video/13302357

Caja 117

Supporting pros helps support the game and community though. It's not about paying for Ninja's mortgage, as it is keeping Halo as a premiere eSports and shooter in the gaming community.

If you have great paying tournaments, and championships, you're going to draw players to the game. Think about it, if you can make $50k a year playing Halo tournaments, and only $25k a year playing Call of Duty, which game will you get into more? Drawing more pros, means drawing more fans, more streamers as well. I'm just surprised they haven't had any HCS tournaments yet.

This is Madness...

Seriously great post.

mBwHMuR.gif

I don't like the direction of Halo being an esports game first. Bungie never cared for MLG (that much) and the games did fine. Halo 5 is balanced, but it's way too much about the eSports scene.

The game needs exposure and esports is ever growing, is part of video gaming future. And even if Bungie didnt care "much" (the did cared, tough) Halo has always been one of the better esports console games out there.

Ramirez

I don't like the direction of Halo being an esports game first. Bungie never cared for MLG (that much) and the games did fine. Halo 5 is balanced, but it's way too much about the eSports scene.

Without MLG making good settings, the old Halo's were pretty shit, TBH.

Strider

I do. Love it actually.

The game's long term health is dependent on the competitive scene. Casuals either don't care about Halo anymore or will move on anyway... Halo 4 died becaused both the competitive crowd and the casual crowds moved on. At least with a heavy e-sports focused one of the two groups will hang around.

Tawpgun

LOL microtransactions in every game now. I'd never purchase a Req pack, don't care for increasing the winnings for some pro's mortgage payment.

That's the beauty of microtransactions.

You don't have to purchase req packs! But there are people that will. And they will spend a lot (hi heckfu)

This gives us these sweet FREE updates every month.

Wish more games would go to this model.

And you can just buy req packs with in game points.

Slighly Live is being a little extreme. Yeah they alter gameplay but thats warzone. It's still tied to req energy, its still tied to req level. they are single use. You can't even tell who spent a fortune on reqs and who didn't in a warzzone game.

You don't have to purchase req packs! But there are people that will. And they will spend a lot (hi heckfu)

Slighly Live is being a little extreme. Yeah they alter gameplay but thats warzone. It's still tied to req energy, its still tied to req level. they are single use. You can't even tell who spent a fortune on reqs and who didn't in a warzzone game.
sadly I have to rely on RNG to get that OP longshot BR for warzone because of it.

I quit when it's 4v1. Does that make me a bum?

no, you get a pass on that for sure.

funny anecdote though - we were slaughtering the other team right from the get go [solo queued in team arena, team slayer on Plaza], and the rest of the team quit after about 30 seconds / 1 minute.

however, one guy remained, and refused to leave.

it ended up being this ridiculously long / protracted game of 4 cats & 1 mouse, and since there was only 1 of him, and 4 of us - he actually managed to restrict his encounters to 1v1 [mostly] and keep neck & neck [mostly] with our score.

we barely beat the guy, he was a sneaky mouse [ie - ninja].

mBwHMuR.gif

It did fine because Halo was reigning champ in console FPS games. That's no longer the case. A big presence in eSports can help gain popularity.

Glass

How much of the resources does that little section of lighting take up? Do you think you'd have enough to completely light the entire map? Interested to see how much we can really use.

I forgot to look at the light limits but I think it was okay since I wasn't adding any lights, just changing the colour and effect of the ones already there. The map was on the object limit so I deleted some rocks outside the map to add the neon lights since I wanted more decals in there.

E92 M3

This is Madness...

Seriously great post.

The game needs exposure and esports is ever growing, is part of video gaming future. And even if Bungie didnt care "much" (the did cared, tough) Halo has always been one of the better esports console games out there.

It was a good esports game because they were just good games. Never designed for esports from the beginning.

Without MLG making good settings, the old Halo's were pretty shit, TBH.

Not really. At the core they were a good game.

I do. Love it actually.

The game's long term health is dependent on the competitive scene. Casuals either don't care about Halo anymore or will move on anyway... Halo 4 died becaused both the competitive crowd and the casual crowds moved on. At least with a heavy e-sports focused one of the two groups will hang around.

You make a good point, but if the sponsors aren't there for Halo, then pros would leave as well. I don't think games have to ostracize one crowd to please the other. Both sides can be happy.

I have nothing against microtransactions, buy silver on Destiny and such. I was just talking about support.

LOL, appeasing the pros in order to try and win exposure is the most ass-backwards thinking ever.

Esports is a business. The games they choose to highlight are the games that people are already playing and passionate about in large numbers.

You want to make Halo an esports mainstay again?

You cater the game to as wide an audience as possible. Then Esports leagues will come calling to YOU, because they want the eyeballs your product brings, and they will tweak the settings as necessary for their particular niche.

Literally no game has ever become a widespread, mainstream success thanks to it's esports popularity.

Many games have become big esports games by virtue of the fact that millions of people are playing the game, and therefore interested in watching others play at a high level.

Nobody cares about watching people play Halo at a high level anymore. Because a much smaller audience cares about Halo at all anymore.

Trup1aya

Cyber Punk 2558, Guillotine edition

Screenshot-Original.png

The floating particle effects are so cool in motion.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Glass Dallas/video/13302357

Looks like tweaking the lighting could go a long way towards masking the bland forge textures... Nice work btw
LOL, appeasing the pros in order to try and win exposure is the most ass-backwards thinking ever.

Esports is a business. The games they choose to highlight are the games that people are already playing and passionate about in large numbers.

You want to make Halo an esports mainstay again?

You cater the game to as wide an audience as possible. Then Esports leagues will come calling to YOU, because they want the eyeballs your product brings, and they will tweak the settings as necessary for their particular niche.

Literally no game has ever become a widespread, mainstream success thanks to it's esports popularity.

Many games have become big esports games by virtue of the fact that millions of people are playing the game, and therefore interested in watching others play at a high level.

Nobody cares about watching people play Halo at a high level anymore. Because a much smaller audience cares about Halo at all anymore.

I dunno, times are changing, and marketing tactics are changing with them.

The jury is still out out how effective a pro-scene motivated by large cash prices could effect viewership, and then indirectly, the sales of this game.

You must not have heard about the fall, then Subsequent rise of counterstrike:GO

Madness

I get what you're saying but the reality is, it's just not 2001 or 2004 anymore. Halo is a console exclusive shooter in the era of multiplatform dominance. The shooter market is saturated with games. Halo is a mature series now where the original 'fight' was finished. They're never going to recapture the story magic of the earlier games. Spartan Locke, Spartan Palmer, Spartan Thorne will never be as iconic or representative of Halo as Master Chief was.

So that leaves multi-player. And as we saw with Halo 4, catering to the more casual and CoD crowd, meant that you alienate the greater pro and hardcore crowd and yet they still never got the CoD crowd. They did try to appeal to the Destiny crowd this go around with Warzone and the REQ system. But why the focus on eSports? Because there is no real eSports dominant game on consoles yet. On PC, games like LoL, Dota 2, Counterstrike are doing great. 343 wants something similar for Halo 5.

It's something every company is chasing, including EA recently which Peter Moore is going to oversee to try and set up Battlefield, EA Sports games leagues etc.

I think this is just the first step. Eventually we might see the model evolve to where Halo game releases are just story and PvE based and the multi-player is just constantly added to with new maps, new features around the game play. I think this is why they were testing things like Halo Online in Russia.

Caja 117

It was a good esports game because they were just good games. Never designed for esports from the beginning.
yet MLG had to tweak with the settings and weapon placement to make it a competitive game, and Halo 5 isnt designed just because of esport to make it apealing to esports, it is design having esports in mind because the esports settings has always been the most balanced and competitive for Halo, which was something that got lost since Halo Reach.

To be honest, I dont get why any Halo fan thats been in Halo since before Halo Reach will be against the game to have competitive and balance settings, which is where the esports focus comes from, you take a group of the best and most veteran players of Halo to make the game good as it was before while trying to introduce new mechanics that dont interfere with the old mechanics, sonething that was started to get ignored since Halo 3 with the introduction of power pick ups.

Computer

I will never understand why they put so many power weapons a such a small map such as overgrowth. Sword, Shotgun, Rail Gun, Camo. The problem is they don't even consider weapons such as the sword a power weapon when it has always been considered one. The sword may not be a big danger in a more open map but a map of nothing but tight hallways and corners it is a power weapon.

malfcn

I don't know if it's lag or latency, but I'm in garbage games right now where hits don't register and I'm getting killed by shots through walls or around corners. Super frustrating.

Caja 117

I will never understand why they put so many power weapons a such a small map such as overgrowth. Sword, Shotgun, Rail Gun, Camo. The problem is they don't even consider weapons such as the sword a power weapon when it has always been considered one.

Because the sword has lost its potency will all of the movement mechanics and low kill times, halo 2 and 3 had ridiculous lounges to help with the sword kill, Reach and 4 have sprint, but Halo 5 have real quick kill times weapon and a thruster to have a good way to countering doneone with sword.

E92 M3

I get what you're saying but the reality is, it's just not 2001 or 2004 anymore. Halo is a console exclusive shooter in the era of multiplatform dominance. The shooter market is saturated with games. Halo is a mature series now where the original 'fight' was finished. They're never going to recapture the story magic of the earlier games. Spartan Locke, Spartan Palmer, Spartan Thorne will never be as iconic or representative of Halo as Master Chief was.

So that leaves multi-player. And as we saw with Halo 4, catering to the more casual and CoD crowd, meant that you alienate the greater pro and hardcore crowd and yet they still never got the CoD crowd. They did try to appeal to the Destiny crowd this go around with Warzone and the REQ system. But why the focus on eSports? Because there is no real eSports dominant game on consoles yet. On PC, games like LoL, Dota 2, Counterstrike are doing great. 343 wants something similar for Halo 5.

It's something every company is chasing, including EA recently which Peter Moore is going to oversee to try and set up Battlefield, EA Sports games leagues etc.

I think this is just the first step. Eventually we might see the model evolve to where Halo game releases are just story and PvE based and the multi-player is just constantly added to with new maps, new features around the game play. I think this is why they were testing things like Halo Online in Russia.

COD is a major powerhouse for console esports. It will be hard to overtake.

yet MLG had to tweak with the settings and weapon placement to make it a competitive game, and Halo 5 isnt designed just because of esport to make it apealing to esports, it is design having esports in mind because the esports settings has always been the most balanced and competitive for Halo, which was something that got lost since Halo Reach.

To be honest, I dont get why any Halo fan thats been in Halo since before Halo Reach will be against the game to have competitive and balance settings, which is where the esports focus comes from, you take a group of the best and most veteran players of Halo to make the game good as it was before while trying to introduce new mechanics that dont interfere with the old mechanics, sonething that was started to get ignored since Halo 3 with the introduction of power pick ups.

Tweaking isn't a big deal, but a game from development focused on esports is just not my thing. It's tiring to hear about pros or what the pros think or what 343 wants the pros to do. I know I had more fun in Halo 4 than Halo 5. And I have been playing since it launched - massive fan over here. It just makes me sad to see Halo 5 being all about pleasing one sect of the community. Yes, 343 are updating the game, but at it's core it has been designed to be super competitive.

Sordid

Had delay in all of my games today and got dropped from a game randomly for the first time in ages, really disappointing. Wish they'd go into detail when they say things like "Improved ping times to dedicated servers in matchmaking." as the changes they've made so far haven't made the game any more consistent for me. Grabbed a quick clip from my last game to show it, tough to see but if you play it at half speed you see the delay in my shots registering.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Sordid Sentinel/video/13302815

I won 2 out of the 3 games I managed to finish today but none of them felt good.

Lucifon

Are the gold pack bundles definitely not purchasable with req points? Have no pricing and do nothing for me when I select them.

I have no issues with this either. The support for the game has been awesome so far. No splitting the community is great. And I actually find the whole earning, buying and opening packs pretty satisfying. I enjoy warzone for a casual bit of fun and arena when I'm wanting a more serious match. The balance is perfect to me, I wasn't even hyped for H5 but it's turned out to be my favourite shooter in years and my go-to for a few rounds after work.

Caja 117

COD is a major powerhouse for console esports. It will be hard to overtake.

Tweaking isn't a big deal, but a game from development focused on esports is just not my thing. It's tiring to hear about pros or what the pros think or what 343 wants the pros to do. I know I had more fun in Halo 4 than Halo 5. And I have been playing since it launched - massive fan over here. It just makes me sad to see Halo 5 being all about pleasing one sect of the community. Yes, 343 are updating the game, but at it's core it has been designed to be super competitive.

But is not about pleasing a comunity, is about making the game better for everyone, and taking inputs from the people that have a lot of experience in Halo is just a good thing to the game. And You know, it actually worked, that pro players feedback has helped to make Halo 5 one of the best, if not the best Halo mechanic wise, where you could arguee that Halo 3 was better because it had better maps.

You are basically hating the game because the developer made their design desitions taking in account players feedback, and that pro feedback has actually made the game more casual friendly than a game like Halo 3 were no one that didnt know how to use a BR was going to do good and in the procces was going to get destroyed.

And Halo has been super competitive since Halo CE, it has always been designed with that in mind, there is a reason Halo 2 and Halo 3 had W/L rank system, so player compete, Bungie just tried in every Halo to reduce to skill gap ending up making Halo Reach.

And Sorry, tweaking is big deal when in games like Halo 3, the game played very different in MLG than the other playlist, I wont even go into Halo Reach v8 settings.

Haha, its the exact same with FFA too. It's like to solve the problem, they just placed people then took two tiers away to guarantee Onyx isn't a thing xD

You're lucky im not on playing right now. On the opposing team. you would have rage quit 1 hour ago.

You'll have memories of the jump-hover-crouch-teabag-land over and over and over in your head.

if i was 18 again

E92 M3

But is not about pleasing a comunity, is about making the game better for everyone, and taking inputs from the people that have a lot of experience in Halo is just a good thing to the game. And You know, it actually worked, that pro players feedback has helped to make Halo 5 one of the best, if not the best Halo mechanic wise, where you could arguee that Halo 3 was better because it had better maps.

You are basically hating the game because the developer made their design desitions taking in account players feedback, and that pro feedback has actually made the game more casual friendly than a game like Halo 3 were no one that didnt know how to use a BR was going to do good and in the procces was going to get destroyed.

And Halo has been super competitive since Halo CE, it has always been designed with that in mind, there is a reason Halo 2 and Halo 3 had W/L rank system, so player compete, Bungie just tried in every Halo to reduce to skill gap ending up making Halo Reach.

And Sorry, tweaking is big deal when in games like Halo 3, the game played very different in MLG than the other playlist, I wont even go into Halo Reach v8 settings.

That's the thing, Bungie made the games they wanted and they were also competitive. I always compare it to Smash. Sakurai hates the competitive scene, but since Smash plays so well, it has one. Personally, I think Halo 5 feels completely different from any other Halo game. It's just a good shooter, but the magic isn't present. And trust me, I am trying my hardest to love the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom