• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah, we can't always be coddling our kids all the time. I've been watching horror movies and playing violent games my whole life and have no inherent violent tendencies. It comes down to the parents.

You should let him, he is your son.

He's my gf's son to. We're not married. He will soon enough. Especially when his friends are playing.

The exorcist scared the shit out me though. Lol

Caja 117

I think Reach DMR is perfect right now..It's fun and satisfying to use and it's not as effective as H4/5 DMR at long range.

Why are you comparing Reach DMR to Halo 4 DMR, I think the comparison should be of DMR in reach with ZB and Vanilla DMR reach, like I explained, even across map it was not as easy to get kills, but if for you a perfect experience is a weapon that the results are up to a dice roll, then more to you I guess.

This is true about any game that does not support server selection in my experience. It might be a bit more obvious in Halo because of the TTK but in general you will always have a less-than-perfect experience when playing with higher latency than the other players in the match. Things were much worse with P2P but even still getting put on a US server is not fun right now.

I'm going home over Christmas and won't be able to play any Halo until January but just wanted to say I am really impressed by the December update and am excited to see what's coming up in January once I'm back. If we could just get a couple of classic game modes and some of the best Forge maps added into playlists that would be enough for me...

Well, for me the experience of playing with someone that had either a west coast host or a European host was just as bad. at the end I prefer to have Dedicated server, than to have a Client server and be asking myself if the lag(or getting disconnected from the game) is natural or is the host manipulating the network.

m23

They need to do what Gears does and reward players for consecutive matches. Not sure if that would help decrease quitting but it's something.

Glass

Haha, saw this on Reddit from the other teams POV, awesome.

My two most recent silver packs.
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Begun the emblem wars has.

E92 M3

I don't like that 343 has been quiet about Champion rank players not being able to get a game. I know FFA players suffer a lot from that. No reason High onyx players can't play with other Champions in FFA.

BraXzy

I don't like that 343 has been quiet about Champion rank players not being able to get a game. I know FFA players suffer a lot from that. No reason High onyx players can't play with other Champions in FFA.

It sucks but it's down to champs getting up to like 2400 CSR, while non-champs are at like 2000 so the gap is pretty big. Hopefully they find a way to losen the range.

E92 M3

It sucks but it's down to champs getting up to like 2400 CSR, while non-champs are at like 2000 so the gap is pretty big. Hopefully they find a way to losen the range.

I think the games will still be close. I am willing to wager on that.

Currently, getting Champ in FFA is just a way to stop playing completely lol.

BradC00

it's the same in lol and it has like 20 times the amount of players and they have 15-30 minute wait times. I don't think there's really a solution that's fair to everyone. you will just have champs stomping onyx if you loosen it up too much.

E92 M3

it's the same in lol and it has like 20 times the amount of players and they have 15-30 minute wait times. I don't think there's really a solution that's fair to everyone. you will just have champs stomping onyx if you loosen it up too much.

I honestly doubt they will be stomping high CSR onyx players. Really doubt it.

shrek

Banned
If I want Legendaries should I just keep investing in silver packs until I've maxed out? How many packs do y'all usually buy before switching to gold?

Fuchsdh

If you are alive at the end of a Warzone map and you have an active req card you should keep that card.

I dunno, the whole "do you burn the card or not" question is kind of central to the game, and that would just encourage spamming your REQs with no cost.

If I want Legendaries should I just keep investing in silver packs until I've maxed out? How many packs do y'all usually buy before switching to gold?

If you start getting REQ points instead of permanent unlocks you've maxed out everything you can get at the silver rarity.

Ade

Until (non daily) Silvers stop giving you unlocks and instead just give you RP cards.

Trup1aya

I'm sure high level onyx players would jump at the opportunity to spar with the top champions... Sure they'll likely lose, but they'd still get something out of the deal.

Playing is better than not playing.

Caja 117

I'm sure high level onyx players would jump at the opportunity to spar with the top champions... Sure they'll likely lose, but they'd still get something out of the deal.

Playing is better than not playing.

how can I argue against that.

Nah, given the amount of player that can be champions is very limited, there is guaranteed a group of High level Onyx that play up to that level and I will not put it as "they will likely loose", and more put it on a "50/50 chance on wining against champions".

but, question, Champions are not matched against Onyx?

Trup1aya

Nah, given the amount of player that can be champions is very limited, there is guaranteed a group of High level Onyx that play up to that level and I will not put it as they will likely loose, and more put it on a 50/50 chance on wining against champions.

but, question, Champions are not matched against Onyx?

Champions ARE matched against onyx... Champion is really just a more specific designation of the onyx bracket.

Sure a team of high onyx will likely lose against a team of high champs. But they gain valuable experience... And champions get to play.

I don't think he games will all neccisarily be blowouts like you suggest. There aren't THAT many onyx players relative to the other divisions.

I dunno, the whole "do you burn the card or not" question is kind of central to the game, and that would just encourage spamming your REQs with no cost.

If you start getting REQ points instead of permanent unlocks you've maxed out everything you can get at the silver rarity.

On the flip side many people are REQ card shy at the end of the game. When the points are 970 or so I'd wager no one is using big cards for fear of them going to waste. 343 wants you to use your cards so that you run out and have to get more points. There is still a good chance that late game you will use up a card like a Scorpion, Mantis, or Spartan Laser before the 1000 point finish. Right now the game scoring is encouraging you to hold off using them.

Caja 117

Champions ARE matched against onyx... Champion is really just a more specific designation of the onyx bracket.

Sure a team of high onyx will likely lose against a team of high champs. But they gain valuable experience... And champions get to play.

I don't think he games will all neccisarily be blowouts like you suggest. There aren't THAT many onyx players relative to the other divisions.
suggested games to be blowouts? maybe you wanted to quote someone else?

but I disagree again with the champion part, Im 100% sure that a team of high skilled onyx, can win a team of Champions and not by chance, rather that because they are evenly matched.

Fuchsdh

On the flip side many people are REQ card shy at the end of the game. When the points are 970 or so I'd wager no one is using big cards for fear of them going to waste. 343 wants you to use your cards so that you run out and have to get more points. There is still a good chance that late game you will use up a card like a Scorpion, Mantis, or Spartan Laser before the 1000 point finish. Right now the game scoring is encouraging you to hold off using them.

Yep, but on balance I think it's better to have the natural REQ shyness. If other people are holding off because they think the game's over or won, then it means whatever you call in has a greater chance of tipping the scales. In the hands of a few communicative players that can definitely tilt the game to your favor.

Ramirez

Damn you guys are really exaggerating. That happens once and a while and you mute them instantly. I definitely can deal with the occasional twat in exchange for meeting the rare cool person who isn't asocial and likes to communicate with their teammates.

4v4 is way more fun when people work together and talk. I know you can't force people to do so and I know that's not realistic and would not be appreciated by people like Ramirez who feel they need their safe space from the riffraff. Communicating to me is just part of being a good teammate once you are in the higher ranks, because not doing so can and will cause you to lose games and just generally get stomped.

I'd say someone has their Kinect on 90% of the time Im not in a party, and you hear everything in their house.

Obviously I'm not alone in this opinion. I'm old, grumpy, and have no interest in interacting with online randoms I don't know. *shrug*

bchamba

When you're talking about Onyx and Champions isn't the skill gap much smaller than say the skill gap between bronze and platinum players? I don't see why they shouldn't be able to get games together if there is no problem matching golds with plats and plats with diamonds.

Fuchsdh

I feel your pain. I got nothing but gold and silver after being plat in a few modes.

Probably just luck of the draw, combined with everyone else catching up in skill + Arena Breakout. I love the mode, but it's a little easy to get yourself stuck in a defeat spiral.

BradC00

I don't see why they shouldn't be able to get games together if there is no problem matching golds with plats and plats with diamonds.

champs get matched against onyx. i'm watching roy do doubles and he just played a team that was 1 onyx and 1 champ. he is also only waiting 30 seconds for a game which is the same I wait for in team arena at diamond, pretty much.

Well, for me the experience of playing with someone that had either a west coast host or a European host was just as bad. at the end I prefer to have Dedicated server, than to have a Client server and be asking myself if the lag(or getting disconnected from the game) is natural or is the host manipulating the network.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying it's not a problem that only exists in Halo games. Dedis are way better than P2P but it would still be nice to be able to select data center (I will say 343's algorithm has been very good to me from launch though).

Really hope they're working on a Noctus Warzone Assault map.
Yes.
I'd say someone has their Kinect on 90% of the time Im not in a party, and you hear everything in their house.

Obviously I'm not alone in this opinion. I'm old, grumpy, and have no interest in interacting with online randoms I don't know. *shrug*
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need a friend to slap some sense into you because 28 (your age, correct?) is not old, and "90%" of people don't have their kinect on.

Tawpgun, be there for your friends man. Nutter, weren't you in his clan? SAVE THIS MAN

BradC00

i just asked strongside on roy's stream when we are getting more gametypes...all he said was he couldn't say anything but the future was bright...

tashi pls

team stinkles!

link1201

i just asked strongside on roy's stream when we are getting more gametypes...all he said was he couldn't say anything but the future was bright...

tashi pls

team stinkles!
Time to put on my shades?

Does anyone miss Regicide? I get kinda bored just playing generic FFA.

Trup1aya

suggested games to be blowouts? maybe you wanted to quote someone else?

but I disagree again with the champion part, Im 100% sure that a team of high skilled onyx, can win a team of Champions and not by chance, rather that because they are evenly matched.

I must of quoted the wrong person (damn mobile) but yeah I'm sure onyx folks can be champs at times too

Caja 117

I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying it's not a problem that only exists in Halo games. Dedis are way better than P2P but it would still be nice to be able to select data center (I will say 343's algorithm has been very good to me from launch though).

I might have dream it, but didnt 343 talked about fixing some algorithm at their end to improve server selection?

I mean, I think 343 wants to keep matchmaking time as short as possible and giving tools to filter options might affect those time for those that filter as well as those that dont filter.

Haruko

>"future was bright"
>future so bright you gotta wear shades
>you wear shades on your head
>inside your head is a skull
>oddball is a skull

Oddball confirmed B O Y S

Fuchsdh

Time to put on my shades?

Does anyone miss Regicide? I get kinda bored just playing generic FFA.

People give Halo 4 a lot of crap, but I think the changes to all the modes they made (with the exception of auto-pickup) were solid. I liked Regicide and Oddball much more than their previous counterparts.

Leyasu

Banned
I might have dream it, but didnt 343 talked about fixing some algorithm at their end to improve server selection?

I mean, I think 343 wants to keep matchmaking time as short as possible and giving tools to filter options might affect those time for those that filter as well as those that dont filter.

Matchmaking time is no compensation imo for optimum quality 100% of the time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom