• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Realised very early on in this game that it's hazardous to one's health to play team lists solo, especially because 343 won't enforce party size matching. I predominately stick to FFA now when I'm playing solo.

Anyone else frustrated by the input lag in this game? Every match I have moments where a weapon switch, a grenade throw, a scope command or a press of the sprint button simply fails to register. Not my pad, MCC has instant input times.

Yeah. The one that annoys me is the old jump-melee-grenade combo that now has no grenade portion because it simply doesn't register.

E92 M3

Realised very early on in this game that it's hazardous to one's health to play team lists solo, especially because 343 won't enforce party size matching. I predominately stick to FFA now when I'm playing solo.

Anyone else frustrated by the input lag in this game? Every match I have moments where a weapon switch, a grenade throw, a scope command or a press of the sprint button simply fails to register. Not my pad, MCC has instant input times.

I've noticed that as well and it has gotten me killed. Kind of a bummer.

TCKaos

It's been happening to me in Warzone lately. A friend and I were playing and we were teamed up with a bunch of other randoms against a 12 man team on Escape from ARC. The match ended with us trying to figure out how to take out the no fewer than seven Banshees they had simultaneously spawned, several of them being Ultra Banshees.

On a cheerier note, Warzone this morning has been nothing but net. Got my Oni Hog cert finally, as well as a new Splaser and some other goodies.

E92 M3

A 1 Star Amazon Review:

Very dissapointed in the aiming in this game. The devs said they had a good feel for short and mid range but long range was off, so they decided to tweak it and correct long range. In this process they ruined the short and mid range. This is not a Halo feeling game. The beta felt much better and closer to Halo, but they're chasing call of duty with fast twitch shooter in mind. The aiming, once more, is so dissapointing. They have revealed they know there is a dead zone area in need of patch, if you don't have the expensive elite controller to add on to it. Halo is loved for what it is, different. Trying to get close to the other shooters is taking away the appeal of the game. Quite unfortunate they took this route, and am hoping they save it by fixing the aiming. It's horrid. They have some great ideas with war zone and arena, but they can't be enjoyed with this broken aiming.​

343 needs to change the default aiming system and communicate that the customer can make changes as well. The majority don't know there are new options now.

A 1 Star Amazon Review:

Very dissapointed in the aiming in this game. The devs said they had a good feel for short and mid range but long range was off, so they decided to tweak it and correct long range. In this process they ruined the short and mid range. This is not a Halo feeling game. The beta felt much better and closer to Halo, but they're chasing call of duty with fast twitch shooter in mind. The aiming, once more, is so dissapointing. They have revealed they know there is a dead zone area in need of patch, if you don't have the expensive elite controller to add on to it. Halo is loved for what it is, different. Trying to get close to the other shooters is taking away the appeal of the game. Quite unfortunate they took this route, and am hoping they save it by fixing the aiming. It's horrid. They have some great ideas with war zone and arena, but they can't be enjoyed with this broken aiming.​

343 needs to change the default aiming system and communicate that the customer can make changes as well. The majority don't know there are new options now.

^ I agree. I had a friend of mine finally get halo 5 this weekend and i was telling him what settings to put. felt really unncessary because he was laughing asking, "wtf is this shit and why am i doing this lol."

felt bad that in order to get the full range of the sticks i had to walk him through the settings instead of him just picking it up and playing. I don't think the only thing chagned was the Accelleration from Beta to Retail aiming. This is the only thing i REALLY dislike that they took from the 'pro team' they hired.

Even with the new uber settings, i still get a little squirlly at long range. IDK maybe i just need to say PLZ UNDERSTAND more.

IHaveIce

Banned
Who the fuck puts that much effort into an amazon review.

Why do you read them.

What is happening? Is this a preview of what 2016 is gonna be? I want out coach

E92 M3

^ I agree. I had a friend of mine finally get halo 5 this weekend and i was telling him what settings to put. felt really unncessary because he was laughing asking, "wtf is this shit and why am i doing this lol."

felt bad that in order to get the full range of the sticks i had to walk him through the settings instead of him just picking it up and playing. I don't think the only thing chagned was the Accelleration from Beta to Retail aiming. This is the only thing i REALLY dislike that they took from the 'pro team' they hired.

Even with the new uber settings, i still get a little squirlly at long range. IDK maybe i just need to say PLZ UNDERSTAND more.

Exactly, we are fans of the series and still question the best setup. I want Halo to thrive.

Who the fuck puts that much effort into an amazon review.

Why do you read them.

What is happening? Is this a preview of what 2016 is gonna be? I want out coach

I put effort into my reviews. Secondly, I am looking to buy a copy as a gift and just wondered why there were so many 1 stars. As I said a week ago or so, 343 has a perception problem that needs to be addressed. The initial control scheme is horrible and needs to be changed.

Once adjusted, I now play Halo 5 for hours and have gotten rather good like the old days. A random person buying the game will not start investigating what all of the control schemes are.

Exactly, we are fans of the series and still question the best setup. I want Halo to thrive.

I put effort into my reviews. Secondly, I am looking to buy a copy as a gift and just wondered why there were so many 1 stars. As I said a week ago or so, 343 has a perception problem that needs to be addressed. The initial control scheme is horrible and needs to be changed.

Once adjusted, I now play Halo 5 for hours and have gotten rather good like the old days. A random person buying the game will not start investigating what all of the control schemes are.

What they should have done, maybe, is keep the aiming settings the same as the beta. Then once this update hit, tell them: "Pro team at 343i asked us to provide more granularity to adjust their aiming settings. So with this update you can change your deadzones and accelleration to fit your playstyle. Right now Pro team, on average, uses X and bal abla bal ablfasldhfashfa" you get the idea. That would have engaged the community better instead of saying - IF you like the beta settings, here an update to change it back and oh i guess you can also tweak it to hower you want to play, that's if you understand what these settings mean. lulzzzzz" bForBravoLaughing.gif

Trup1aya

A 1 Star Amazon Review:

Yeah I had a buddy decide not to buy the game due to the aiming... He rented it from redbox and just couldn't get with it.

After the well recieved beta controls, changing the default wasn't a smart decision. Most users are comfortable with adjusting sensitivity, but dead zones and acceleration... It's not happening.

To be fair though, most of the one star reviews are due the lack of splitscreen. Which while a valid critism, I don't think completely nullifies all of the things this game does well... I mean 1 star pretty much mean that the game has no redeeming qualities.

When you look at the bar graph, the majority of the reviews are either 5 or 1, which implies that there was hardly any attempt at objectivity from reviewers.

Is there any console game where aiming isn't wonky long range without having high amounts of auto aim? Long range combat on console FPS's always just make me say "I wish I had a mouse and keyboard here."

E92 M3

What they should have done, maybe, is keep the aiming settings the same as the beta. Then once this update hit, tell them: "Pro team at 343i asked us to provide more granularity to adjust their aiming settings. So with this update you can change your deadzones and accelleration to fit your playstyle. Right now Pro team, on average, uses X and bal abla bal ablfasldhfashfa" you get the idea. That would have engaged the community better instead of saying - IF you like the beta settings, here an update to change it back and oh i guess you can also tweak it to hower you want to play, that's if you understand what these settings mean. lulzzzzz" bForBravoLaughing.gif

Yeah I had a buddy decide not to buy the game due to the aiming... He rented it from redbox and just couldn't get with it.

After the well recieved beta controls, changing the default wasn't a smart decision. Most users are comfortable with adjusting sensitivity, but dead zones and acceleration... It's not happening.

Exactly guys. I will always use myself as an example of what a bad aiming system can do to liking the game. Once fixed it was like a brand new experience. I think we keep discussing it, 343 will eventually change the default settings to stop scaring everyone away.

Is there any console game where aiming isn't wonky long range without having high amounts of auto aim? Long range combat on console FPS's always just make me say "I wish I had a mouse and keyboard here."

Most modern day shooters have very similar aiming mechanisms. I can go from Titanfall, Destiny, CoD or Battlefield and not have any trouble. I could even boot up MCC and not have issues. Halo 5 was distinctly different.

Exactly guys. I will always use myself as an example of what a bad aiming system can do to liking the game. Once fixed it was like a brand new experience. I think we keep discussing it, 343 will eventually change the default settings to stop scaring everyone away.

Most modern day shooters have very similar aiming mechanisms. I can go from Titanfall, Destiny, CoD or Battlefield and not have any trouble. I could even boot up MCC and not have issues. Halo 5 was distinctly different.
Perhaps it is just my deep PC roots. I struggle with aiming in any console game at times, often thinking how much easier it would be with a mkb. I'm also just an average player, so most of the time I can easily blame myself for failing to hit the enemy. Lol

Trup1aya

For a guy who never plays in PC, I can't say long range console aiming generally feels wonky.

The auto-aim caveat becomes irrelevant, in halo, because the different weapons have varying levels of auto-aim tuned to the weapons effective operating range. So "mastering" the aim becomes an exercise is subconsciously recognizing how your weapon will behave in the current situation. That's not "wonky" that's just what console FPS fans are used to.

That's just 'different' from how it works on PC, where the cursor goes exactly where the mouse does, regardless of anything else.

The problem with the default controls in Halo5 is that the massive dead zones made it difficult to make fine adjustments. Even when you knew what you needed to do to use the aim assists to your advantage, it was hard to put the cursor in the right place.

In the sense that the aiming requires dexterity? All of those other games have higher aim assist than Halo 5. In some of those games the aiming is almost automatic if you're aiming in the direction of the player. It's not hard to figure out why 343 did what they did. They wanted to strike a balance with long range accuracy/precision and close range twitch shooting/high level of maneuverability. It may not be perfect (I turned my acceleration down to 2 and changed up the dead zones), but it's definitely there for a reason, and when you get used to it I would think people would realize why it is the way it is.

E92 M3

In the sense that the aiming requires dexterity? All of those other games have higher aim assist than Halo 5. In some of those games the aiming is almost automatic if you're aiming in the direction of the player. It's not hard to figure out why 343 did what they did. They wanted to strike a balance with long range accuracy/precision and close range twitch shooting/high level of maneuverability. It may not be perfect (I turned my acceleration down to 2 and changed up the dead zones), but it's definitely there for a reason, and when you get used to it I would think people would realize why it is the way it is.

No it had nothing to do with AA. The default controls have a high deadzone and acceleration. Once I adjusted it, the game plays beautifully now.

Have mine set to:

singhr1

Perhaps it is just my deep PC roots. I struggle with aiming in any console game at times, often thinking how much easier it would be with a mkb. I'm also just an average player, so most of the time I can easily blame myself for failing to hit the enemy. Lol

My cousin is the same way, it's not just you. Solid PC FPS player, plays Halo 5 and looks like its his first time playing a FPS.

Detective

Are you sure those aren't ones with attachments?

No, it was regular ones.

It looks like it was a bug. They are back to normal.

The lag in this game is really making it hard to stick around and play it. 343 really left a sour taste in my soul this gen. It has been nothing but bad experience since MCC.

SpartanN92

Banned
Sorry if this has been covered already but what is everyone's recommendations on the new controller settings (Dead zone etc...)

I have played maybe 50 round of Halo 5 and it feels wrong...My aim is so bad. Granted I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to but I'm pretty confident I could boot up Halo 2-4 and still kick butt.

I'm still trying to figure out if I just suck at the game or if the control settings are genuinely that much different than previous Halos....Any advice on the settings would be really appreciated.

Trup1aya

Sorry if this has been covered already but what is everyone's recommendations on the new controller settings (Dead zone etc...)

I have played maybe 50 round of Halo 5 and it feels wrong...My aim is so bad. Granted I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to but I'm pretty confident I could boot up Halo 2-4 and still kick butt.

I'm still trying to figure out if I just suck at the game or if the control settings are genuinely that much different than previous Halos....Any advice on the settings would be really appreciated.

Drop your dead zones to 0% and try it out.

If that doesn't work for your drop your aim acceleration to 2

XNarte

I was having the same issues until the update. Definitely turn inner deadzone to 0% to start. That is so key to it feeling like what I expected out of Halo. I forget what the other options I am set to are but I am enjoying my experience tenfold ever since.

Does anyone want a code for a supply rec pack? Its from lootcrate, I don't have the game. So the first one that messages me will get it :)

and the lucky guy was XNarte.

BraXzy

Might try another customs session tonight, slightly earlier and slightly more organised. That is, if the damn custom games will start working.

Kibbles

A 1 Star Amazon Review:

I don't even like the options because I can fiddle with it for hours and not know what's right. :/

Rocket786

To me, Halo games on legendary are quite possibly the best gameplay of any games I've ever played. They really really have that 10 seconds of gameplay loop down unlike any game IMO. Halo 5 has this down better than any previous Halo game. No more gimmicks like armor abilities, and instead they added the dash, clamber, and the sprint ability to every Spartan and the game shines unlike any other Halo game before it. Movement is just fun and feels natural. This is the evolution that Halo needed. Keep this for the next game and there really isn't a need to add any gimmicks to add diversity.

With that said, I'm playing through Halo 5 solo on legendary as it's a requirement of mine to do so with every Halo game. I'm on the Sanghelios mission, and all I can say is wow... The missions so far have been fantastic, and Sanghelios is quite possibly up there with the best levels of Halo like Assault on Control Room and Long Night of Solace (no idea if GAF likes this level from Reach, but I loved it).

I've heard plenty of people complaining about the story, but hell, I find it very well done so far. It's living up to the epic nature that Halo games seem to attempt with each release. It even has that sense of wonder which has been missing since Halo 1, with the "Reunion" mission. Forerunner planet with crazy architecture and a very alien yet sublime look. Not knowing where you are and exploring the level brought me back to playing on a Halo and seeing the Halo arc in the sky. That sense of wonder was back.

The game is difficult solo on legendary... The encounters are very well placed and the flow of the game by changing up the enemies and the environment structure are great as well. I can't believe I got past the 1st Warden fight (2nd one was a lot more open and a great fight IMO). I know I'll face him a few more times, and it'll probably frustrate me, but hell, Halo on legendary has never been a cakewalk, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The only criticism I have so far is the music. At some points it's fantastic. It kicks in at the right time and adds that adrenaline rush. But I've faced a few battles so far where I feel they could've added a track to get the heart pumping, and instead I got no music and just the sound effects. The music there is good, but the 343 Halos really need to look at the Bungie Halos to see how and when to add a track to enhance the mood even more. Bungie's Halos are the best of any game at this IMO. Bring back Marty for Halo 6 and I'll buy the legendary edition to support the decision!

I'm looking forward to beating the campaign and I hope the story doesn't turn into a mess like Halo 2 and Halo 3 did. So far the game's campaign has lived up to the lofty expectations of the Halo franchise. I know this thread has essentially turned into a multi-player only discussion but I just wanted to mention how great the campaign has been so far.

Yeah. The one that annoys me is the old jump-melee-grenade combo that now has no grenade portion because it simply doesn't register.

I've noticed that as well and it has gotten me killed. Kind of a bummer.

Hopefully 343 addresses this in a future update. It's something I've noticed since the beta.

------
Really hoping breakout is removed from team arena next month. Somebody posted here before saying they can't believe they haven't seen more complaining about it; instead of moan post I've just refused to play the playlist. In neither season have I been ranked and I haven't played a single game of breakout since I bought the game on launch day. I don't care how many resources 343 have poured into it and I don't care if I'm missing something different but worthy, I just don't put the halo disc into an Xbox to play shieldless, elimination FPS gameplay. It's a massive shame because I love the few 4v4 games of CTF and the excellent strongholds gametype I've been able to play but the intransigence over breakout's inclusion forces me to stay out of the premier playlist in this fantastic game.

link1201

To me, Halo games on legendary are quite possibly the best gameplay of any games I've ever played. They really really have that 10 seconds of gameplay loop down unlike any game IMO. Halo 5 has this down better than any previous Halo game. No more gimmicks like armor abilities, and instead they added the dash, clamber, and the sprint ability to every Spartan and the game shines unlike any other Halo game before it. Movement is just fun and feels natural. This is the evolution that Halo needed. Keep this for the next game and there really isn't a need to add any gimmicks to add diversity.

With that said, I'm playing through Halo 5 solo on legendary as it's a requirement of mine to do so with every Halo game. I'm on the Sanghelios mission, and all I can say is wow... The missions so far have been fantastic, and Sanghelios is quite possibly up there with the best levels of Halo like Assault on Control Room and Long Night of Solace (no idea if GAF likes this level from Reach, but I loved it).

I've heard plenty of people complaining about the story, but hell, I find it very well done so far. It's living up to the epic nature that Halo games seem to attempt with each release. It even has that sense of wonder which has been missing since Halo 1, with the "Reunion" mission. Forerunner planet with crazy architecture and a very alien yet sublime look. Not knowing where you are and exploring the level brought me back to playing on a Halo and seeing the Halo arc in the sky. That sense of wonder was back.

The game is difficult solo on legendary... The encounters are very well placed and the flow of the game by changing up the enemies and the environment structure are great as well. I can't believe I got past the 1st Warden fight (2nd one was a lot more open and a great fight IMO). I know I'll face him a few more times, and it'll probably frustrate me, but hell, Halo on legendary has never been a cakewalk, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The only criticism I have so far is the music. At some points it's fantastic. It kicks in at the right time and adds that adrenaline rush. But I've faced a few battles so far where I feel they could've added a track to get the heart pumping, and instead I got no music and just the sound effects. The music there is good, but the 343 Halos really need to look at the Bungie Halos to see how and when to add a track to enhance the mood even more. Bungie's Halos are the best of any game at this IMO. Bring back Marty for Halo 6 and I'll buy the legendary edition to support the decision!

I'm looking forward to beating the campaign and I hope the story doesn't turn into a mess like Halo 2 and Halo 3 did. So far the game's campaign has lived up to the lofty expectations of the Halo franchise. I know this thread has essentially turned into a multi-player only discussion but I just wanted to mention how great the campaign has been so far.
I enjoyed playing the campaign immensely but the story pacing seemed a little rushed. I wish they did more with the walkabout missions. It would have been a great way to fill in more of the blanks. It was great fun playing the actual encounters though.

I really need help guys. I can't thrust then slide anymore. Could it be my tv or is it just lag from the servers?

EDIT: Wow, I'm so dumb. Accidentally put maintain sprint to on and that was the reason.

BraXzy

I'm slowly getting there with this hectic avalanche type fun map.

Main things are vehicles really don't want to play ball, they get stuck on the ramp even with velocity assigned. And I'm using too many small things that simply bounce over you.

Bigger obstacles, more of them, more pain. Profit.

Hopefully 343 addresses this in a future update. It's something I've noticed since the beta.

------
Really hoping breakout is removed from team arena next month. Somebody posted here before saying they can't believe they haven't seen more complaining about it; instead of moan post I've just refused to play the playlist. In neither season have I been ranked and I haven't played a single game of breakout since I bought the game on launch day. I don't care how many resources 343 have poured into it and I don't care if I'm missing something different but worthy, I just don't put the halo disc into an Xbox to play shieldless, elimination FPS gameplay. It's a massive shame because I love the few 4v4 games of CTF and the excellent strongholds gametype I've been able to play but the intransigence over breakout's inclusion forces me to stay out of the premier playlist in this fantastic game.

In a perfect world, Team Arena is only CTF, Oddball, Strongholds, maybe even KOTH (could be too similar to Strongholds) then there's separate lists for Breakout, Slayer, and Team Arena Breakout, BTB, FFA, Social, Lone Wolves

Trup1aya

Has anyone tried this

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/COG Integrity/video/13282146

Apparently a well timed thrust into the corner of a ledge sends you flying high. This appear to be the quickest way to reach top mid in Fathom, by far, if you land it correctly.

I don't know if these nuances are intentional or happy accidents, but I'm absolutely loving the depth provided by these new Movement mechanics.

Trup1aya

idk why you quoted me haha, but that video is kinda messing with my head.. I was just yesterday on fathom and tried faster jumps to get to the top... so seeing this is kinda freaky :D

Lol I don't know why I quoted you either. I could have sworn I made a knew post.

What's cool about this jump it's that it apparently works on any flat topped surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom