• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

Other than customization, the actual control feel should be identical to a normal controller.

I've kept the regular sticks. But they feel a lot better than my old remote because they were quite worn. There isn't really a difference besides that, it's still the same controller just better quality as far as the sticks go. I tried using the longer stick on the right thumbstick but couldn't get used to it :3

The triggers and bumpers are better than on the OG controller though. Easier to press and clickier.

Paddles are amazing, I still have defaults but just being able to swap grenades and do a boost are awesome inclusions. Need to figure out what to do with the rest.

I'm wondering whether I should mess around with my sensitivity and other stick settings, I have played with defaults to date. Anyone have esperience on going from default stick settings to customised?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will join the club :D

Detective

Do you think Chief is gonna die in Halo 6? Know its early to tell but How do you feel about that if it happens?

Am at work and was watching some of the legendary quotes and lines in previews Halo's.

Cortana: "You look nice.
Arbiter : were it so easy
Chief: I need a weapon
We are just getting started
Bet you can't stick it

Man..just thinking about that makes me want to go out now and buy MCC again.

I cant find a memorable moment like that in Halo 5 campaign. To me chief feels different in a way I actually don't favor or like.

Miss something like the gravemind scene, Prophets. Sgt. Forge and three spartans vs The covenant.
Levels like : Two Betrayals, The Library, Assault on the Control Room,Floodgate
The horror and mystery feeling on 343 Guilty Spark level.

It makes me actually sad.
Think am gonna actually buy that again. Hope Halo 6 will have some of that and Chief wont die :D

Nice grats! Welcome to the l33t club ;)

I personally run default controls with A (jump) on right paddle and b (thrust) on left.

Two paddle set up, the smaller ones, in top slots. Try different combinations to see what works best for your hands/the way you hold your controller. All the config stuff is done in the Xbox Accessories app.

Don't forget to do the controller update ^^

Oh lord.

I may need to do some grinding in the future. I need DAT.

Thanks for the tips! I have jump on the right paddles and thrust on the left. I now find myself jumping so much but every once in a while my hand thinks its the trigger and instead of shooting i jump like an idiot LOL.

Only thing i really need to adjust to is reloading and weapon swapping. I was attempting to use another paddle but it gets too crowded for my liking.

I might try to move jump on the left side and thrust on the right side.

LOVE how the weight feels. The sticks feel better to me for some reason too. Like their is an additional weight to them since they are metallic/magnitized.

Glass

I cant find a memorable moment like that in Halo 5 campaign. To me chief feels different in a way I actually don't favor or like.

Same, I miss the Chief of old. Sure he wasn't the most fleshed out character in 1-3, but that doesnt mean he wasn't a strong character. He was great and made the most of a FPS story told in 60 second cutscene segments. And it was a blast watching every single one. I don't think Chief has any more depth in 4 & 5. He's just as one note, except now the note is 'sad'. He does or says nothing that stands out in 5. There's nothing to quote 10 years down the line, no air punching moments. He's just not as fun. I'm hoping 6 sets us up for a complete restart, with a cured Cortana and a reinvigorated Chief taking us back to the great and FUN dynamic they had in 1 and 2. None of this 'I have to save my girlfiend, now I'm sad' stuff. Who want's to play a sad Master Chief?

jem0208

Do you think Chief is gonna die in Halo 6? Know its early to tell but How do you feel about that if it happens?

Am at work and was watching some of the legendary quotes and lines in previews Halo's.

Bet you can't stick it

Miss something like the gravemind scene, Prophets. Sgt. Forge and three spartans vs The covenant.

Think am gonna actually buy that again. Hope Halo 6 will have some of that and Chief wont die :D
I dunno, the entire ending cutscene was pretty fantastic.

Cortana on the infinity and watching the emp blasts take out an entire planet gave me chills. I also really liked Halsey's line "Took you long enough"

Detective

Same, I miss the Chief of old. Sure he wasn't the most fleshed out character in 1-3, but that doesnt mean he wasn't a strong character. He was great and made the most of a FPS story told in 60 second cutscene segments. And it was a blast watching every single one. I don't think Chief has any more depth in 4 & 5. He's just as one note, except now the note is 'sad'. He does or says nothing that stands out in 5. There's nothing to quote 10 years down the line, no air punching moments. He's just not as fun. I'm hoping 6 sets us up for a complete restart, with a cured Cortana and a reinvigorated Chief taking us back to the great and FUN dynamic they had in 1 and 2. None of this 'I have to save my girlfiend, now I'm sad' stuff. Who want's to play a sad Master Chief?
I would if I had it. i will buy it and we can play some SP :p

I dunno, the entire ending cutscene was pretty fantastic.

Cortana on the infinity and watching the emp blasts take out an entire planet gave me chills. I also really liked Halsey's line "Took you long enough"

Yeah, That one was good. But nothing like those imo.
No memorable levels. Just Genesis had good vibes. Like Halo.

And the Blue team. Blue team was the long awaited characters by fans to appear in video games. They should have been presented much better. Not like, Here. Play with them.

It would have been better of if they were spared for Halo 6 but appeared in a Legendary way at the end of Halo 5. Something like they save the Chief, Or the Chief lands at unknown place and finds them fighting like lone wolfs. Or Cortana teleports the Chief at unknown place and he finds them.

Just the reference or the appearing of blue team alone in halo 5 would have given the fans so much to look forward to and high anticipating for Halo 6.

I think we would have threads and topics all over the place discussing that alone.

Bet you can't stick it

Halo 5: Guardians feels more like 1/3rd of the Halo 5 story. To me, it's incomplete and ends like how the trilogies of the hobbit or lotr ends. You know there is more untold.

When i started to replay Halo 5 with a buddy over xmas weekend, everything seemed to work better. The story, pacing, character interaction, level design, etc. I felt like i understood 343i more. Everything made sense. It was really weird actually. My first playthrough was more of, "keep playing, it will get better" thought process.

Their approach to make Locke feel as imporatant as the Arbitor failed. They really needed to provide that backstory and fleshed out characteristic of who and why Locke is who he is in the game. Forcing us to play 80% of the game as him isn't going to make us love him. You can't force love baby...

The arbitor had enough backstory and resolve that just about everyone lovds him since his first introduction. Bungie didnt need to market who he was and why we would play as him in halo 2. It just happened and it felt natural in that story line. That foe to friend story twist was nice too.

Damn i love me some halo.

Halo 5: Guardians feels more like 1/3rd of the Halo 5 story. To me, it's incomplete and ends like how the trilogies of the hobbit or lotr ends. You know there is more untold.

When i started to replay Halo 5 with a buddy over xmas weekend, everything seemed to work better. The story, pacing, character interaction, level design, etc. I felt like i understood 343i more. Everything made sense. It was really weird actually. My first playthrough was more of, "keep playing, it will get better" thought process.

Their approach to make Locke feel as imporatant as the Arbitor failed. They really needed to provide that backstory and fleshed out characteristic of who and why Locke is who he is in the game. Forcing us to play 80% of the game as him isn't going to make us love him. You can't force love baby...

The arbitor had enough backstory and resolve that just about everyone lovds him since his first introduction. Bungie didnt need to market who he was and why we would play as him in halo 2. It just happened and it felt natural in that story line. That foe to friend story twist was nice too.

wasnt the arbiter missions hated in halo 2 (when it was introduced). Hence the reason for having him reduced to a co-op character in 3

wasnt the arbiter missions hated in halo 2 (when it was introduced). Hence the reason for having him reduced to a co-op character in 3

I dont think the character himself was hated, but not playing as chief was. I liked that arbiter was torn between both sides, but i wanna play as chief. Halo2 was to me the worst gameplay, but the best story.

Locke honestly feels more "forced". I didnt mind playing as him, but in a off year halo. Not main halo games. When i play a main halo, i wanna play as chief. Not cortana, not a grunt, the fucking chief.

I dont think the character himself was hated, but not playing as chief was. I liked that arbiter was torn between both sides, but i wanna play as chief. Halo2 was to me the worst gameplay, but the best story.

Locke honestly feels more "forced". I didnt mind playing as him, but in a off year halo. Not main halo games. When i play a main halo, i wanna play as chief. Not cortana, not a grunt, the fucking chief.

hmm ok was curious. honestly to me it makes no difference

Detective

I think the whole Locke Osiris thing was really unnecessary, The game would have played much better without them.

I get that 343 wants to make Something their own, And I understand that. But I think they are doing it the wrong way imo. Locke and Osiris, Big mistake in my humble opinion.
Many halo fans are Campaign fans. Thats why SP is crucial to Halo.

hmm ok was curious. honestly to me it makes no difference

To me it does. I wait years for a main halo game with chief only to have it come and find out that im playing 80% of it from another characters perspective. It honestly fucking sucks as a fan and someone who still plays Halo CE and has been a fan since day 1.

Off year games, do whatever you want. Be creative. Main halos, give me my John 117.

Detective

To me it does. I wait years for a main halo game with chief only to have it come and find out that im playing 80% of it from another characters perspective. It honestly fucking sucks as a fan and someone who still plays Halo CE and has been a fan since day 1.

Off year games, do whatever you want. Be creative. Main halos, give me my John 117.

We are on the same page :D

What I dont understand is that 343 knows that. They know many are attached to the Chief and wants to play as him in Main Halo games. So why?

Just think about it, How would Halo 5 have turned out if it was being played by the Chief?

Glass

I wanted the 'All hail the conquering hero' Locke. Not the personality-less version we got. It sort of reminds me of Plinkett's review of the Star Wars prequels, where he asks people to describe Han Solo's character, then asks them to describe Qui Gon Jinn. Locke is Qui Gon Jinn.

What I dont understand is that 343 knows that. They know many are attached to the Chief and wants to play as him in Main Halo games. So why?

Just think about it, How would Halo 5 have turned out if it was being played by the Chief?

I dont understand it either, they have this whole Chief vs Locke story and do nothing interesting with it other than the podcast and some commercials. You make me wait 4 years for a main Halo game, the story in the game is meh and im not even playing most of it as the guy i waited 4 years to play as.

Whos in these dev meetings making these decisions....

don't get the hate, thought the campaign was well designed and the story was pretty good.

3 had the best campaign but story was meh. 2 was too long. if 2 and 3 were reduced into 1 game, probably the best.

nothing beats 1
reach not even going their.
odst was amazing

IMO, the game was scaled back significantly. It feels unfinished in its single player aspects.

Even in multiplayer. The trickle release of content had to be part of the plan, but did they really expect to launch with no more gametypes than in the beta?

Glass

don't get the hate, thought the campaign was well designed and the story was pretty good.

I thought the campaign design was great, I enjoyed the levels immensely (besides mission 11, one too many levels fighting on all metal Forerunner structures for me, though the music is used beautifully there.) Being on Genesis was the best feeling 'being on an alien world' since Halo CE.
Running down a Guardian was awesome
and I would do it all over again in 6. For me the complaints are strictly narrative based. I think thats the case for most of the reviews when it came to the campaign.

Detective

I dont understand it either, they have this whole Chief vs Locke story and do nothing interesting with it other than the podcast and some commercials. You make me wait 4 years for a main Halo game, the story in the game is meh and im not even playing most of it as the guy i waited 4 years to play as.

Whos in these dev meetings making these decisions....

Thats what I would like to know also. Like I said, I think 343 wants something for their own. presenting their name on Halo and not walk in Bungies shoes. Which is understandable, But They are doing it the wrong way.

If it were me I would have played the Blue team card much better, Present them in a better way, Play as them in 6 .Thats a signature no one had. And the forerunners .

I swear to god this is the first Halo Campaign I wanted to end. Never had the pleasure of repeating it. Which makes me so angry ,mad and sad. its eating me up inside.

I thought the campaign design was great, I enjoyed the levels immensely (besides mission 11, one too many levels fighting on all metal Forerunner structures for me, though the music is used beautifully there.) Being on Genesis was the best feeling 'being on an alien world' since Halo CE.
Running down a Guardian was awesome
and I would do it all over again in 6. For me the complaints are strictly narrative based. I think thats the case for most of the reviews when it came to the campaign.

fair enough. To me its still a fps. dont expect much out of story usually. As long as it keeps me entertained and makes sense. and that the gunplay is good.

guess i shouldnt debate much on the campaign stuff lol since it isnt that important to me

I think the whole Locke Osiris thing was really unnecessary, The game would have played much better without them.

I get that 343 wants to make Something their own, And I understand that. But I think they are doing it the wrong way imo. Locke and Osiris, Big mistake in my humble opinion.
Many halo fans are Campaign fans. Thats why SP is crucial to Halo.

Yeah seriously. Always looked forward to the Campaigns of Halo and what was next for the MC. That was the most exciting part for me.

I think the only thing that really saved Osiris was Buck. I was thinking about this on my commute this morning. The marketing fleshed out the story of these two better than the actual game =/... Those Hunt The Truth ads gave me soo much excitement. Felt like i was going to be doing some espionage spartan shit.

Thats what I would like to know also. Like I said, I think 343 wants something for their own. presenting their name on Halo and not walk in Bungies shoes. Which is understandable, But They are doing it the wrong way.

If it were me I would have played the Blue team card much better, Present them in a better way, Play as them in 6 .Thats a signature no one had. And the forerunners .

I swear to god this is the first Halo Campaign I wanted to end. Never had the pleasure of repeating it. Which makes me so angry ,mad and sad. its eating me up inside.

Honestly, id rather have a Blue Team origin story with a younger chief and his team than this stuff.

Fuchsdh

My only complaints from a gameplay perspective with 5 is I didn't think we got a standout, open-area vehicle segment along the lines of The Ark, and that we were missing some multi-faction battles like Halo 1 (which, admittedly, basically every Halo game since then has failed to deliver in any good capacity.)

Otherwise for now I think I'm fine calling it my favorite campaign, although I imagine I'll have to revisit it in a year to reappraise that.

One things for sure, I definitely did not dread or hate going through it Solo Legendary the way I am about doing Halo 2 Legendary for the first time :)

My only complaints from a gameplay perspective with 5 is I didn't think we got a standout, open-area vehicle segment along the lines of The Ark, and that we were missing some multi-faction battles like Halo 1 (which, admittedly, basically every Halo game since then has failed to deliver in any good capacity.)

Otherwise for now I think I'm fine calling it my favorite campaign, although I imagine I'll have to revisit it in a year to reappraise that.

One things for sure, I definitely did not dread or hate going through it Solo Legendary the way I am about doing Halo 2 Legendary for the first time :)

i refuse to do halo 2 on legendary. those fucking sniper jackals... dont have the patience anymore

I also agree that i LOVE HALO 5. Campaign spaces are phenomenal. Love it, love it love it.

Just wish they delivered the story differently. Whomever was the lead writer needs counceling from joseph staten.

MP is Ace too. It's taken me away from almost every other game. I'm sorry Laura, we can't raid tombs at the moment...

I really hate how much vitriol this game is getting in Game of the Year deliberations/awards. To me, it's one of the best games of the year. Normally I wouldn't feel slighted about journalists not loving a game I love, but I feel like a lot of the criticism is uninformed.

For example, during Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberations, the crew was bemoaning the REQ system, saying they thought it was overly limiting in allowing players to use which weapons and vehicles they want to use. I've personally found the system to be expansive (especially with rare and legendary variations of power weapons) and have never run out of weapons and vehicles. And even in cases where I haven't unlocked those that I want to use, getting REQ cards for weapons/vehicles I wouldn't normally care about (e.g., the turret, gungoose) has encouraged me to play the game in ways I wouldn't normally, which is new and fun and exciting.

I also feel like the additions to player movement have been largely overlooked as merely marginal improvements to gameplay. I've seen more uninformed "it's just more of the same" posts about this game than any other sequel when that couldn't be farther from the truth. The speed of the game has been improve massively, which it desperately needed to remain competitive with other games. At first, I was hesitant about the boost and clamber (and still kind of hate ground pound), but they're great additions to the game that really make it unique compared to other Halo and FPS games.

Perhaps this is just a case of nobody really playing the game enough to understand these things, but it is frustrating to read and listen to the game being dismissed so readily.

Anyway, Bloodborne was robbed. #buildingthelist

Glass

Yeah, 5 keeps me coming back again and again. And has me waiting with baited breath for the next patch.
And its worth noting the campaign has some great beats. Getting in the Mantis on Sanghelios and the music kicking in, the Guardian rising up on Meridian and the music kicking in... Seeing a theme here. But yeah, those moments and more are all 10/10.

I'm probably alone in this.

I don't really care for Halo (ended up buying them all, coop too tempting) I thought the first is overrated, enjoyed 2, 3 disappointed me, the rest sort of melt away bar ODST and its music.

I think 5 is my favourite one. It's a very well made product and wish it was given a bit more attention.

Detective

Yeah seriously. Always looked forward to the Campaigns of Halo and what was next for the MC. That was the most exciting part for me.

I think the only thing that really saved Osiris was Buck. I was thinking about this on my commute this morning. The marketing fleshed out the story of these two better than the actual game =/... Those Hunt The Truth ads gave me soo much excitement. Felt like i was going to be doing some espionage spartan shit.

Am with ya.

Honestly, id rather have a Blue Team origin story with a younger chief and his team than this stuff.

You sir are inside my brain lol.
Something like the reach animated serie.

Go back to his origins, when he was young. Imagine if we could play and watch him grow to become the Spartan he is today. Witness every mission and decision.

I would have loved that. Visit all those places.

Something like he gets sends back in time, or remember, or Cortana picks his brains. Am sure 343 could have found a loop hole which would have let us go through that.

I think the reach animated series was great. Would have been great game and a great way to introduse blue team and the Chief to new comers. Watching him becomes the hero. The Spartan. The Master Chief :D

I wish I could make games. I would have made that to my self. :)

Still, I can't stop playing it. Love the MP. The gameplay is amazing.

BraXzy

Thanks for the tips! I have jump on the right paddles and thrust on the left. I now find myself jumping so much but every once in a while my hand thinks its the trigger and instead of shooting i jump like an idiot LOL.

Only thing i really need to adjust to is reloading and weapon swapping. I was attempting to use another paddle but it gets too crowded for my liking.

It takes a long time to get your muscles to readjust. It took me a good couple of days with solid play to really get into a natural rythym. Don't get me wrong, I still occasionally thrust into a wall instead of jumping if I've not played for a bit but its all good. Glad to hear you're liking it :)

Yeah gives me that quick swap when I have ran over sticky or shard nades, so that I will have them as my a default, I get now an absolute ton of kills with both

I mean, sure. But don't nades auto swap when you pick em up? And either way, its a rare action which is easily done with the D-Pad. I feel like the paddles are too important real estate on the controller to not use on an oft used action like jump/thrust/crouch.

But each to their own.

It takes a long time to get your muscles to readjust. It took me a good couple of days with solid play to really get into a natural rythym. Don't get me wrong, I still occasionally thrust into a wall instead of jumping if I've not played for a bit but its all good. Glad to hear you're liking it :)

snip.

Now i can play on your level. ONYX HERE I COME!!!!!

JK

- Im thinking of moving jump to the Left paddle and Thrust to the right. Love the hair trigger for the zoom.

BraXzy

Now i can play on your level. ONYX HERE I COME!!!!!

JK

- Im thinking of moving jump to the Left paddle and Thrust to the right. Love the hair trigger for the zoom.

Whatever works best for ya :)

As for playing on my level, I wouldn't wish that at the moment haha. Been playing a lot of Hardware: Rivals and Rocket League recently, played a match of Slayer and went like 3-12.

Glass

Cartographers Gift was Dec 16th right? Had much less of a sneak peak for this update, so far all we know about are the new set of weapon skins iirc.

IHaveIce

Banned
Whatever works best for ya :)

As for playing on my level, I wouldn't wish that at the moment haha. Been playing a lot of Hardware: Rivals and Rocket League recently, played a match of Slayer and went like 3-12.

still better than that goose BraX :)

Also got an elite controller, Idk for now it feels kinda uncomfortable with the paddles, I liked the razer paddles more.

Does anyone use the longer analog sticks?

still better than that goose BraX :)

Also got an elite controller, Idk for now it feels kinda uncomfortable with the paddles, I liked the razer paddles more.

Does anyone use the longer analog sticks?

i got used to the longer right stick, made my shot a bit more accurate.

but those stupid paddles. I tell ye.

Am with ya.

You sir are inside my brain lol.
Something like the reach animated serie.

Go back to his origins, when he was young. Imagine if we could play and watch him grow to become the Spartan he is today. Witness every mission and decision.

I would have loved that. Visit all those places.

Something like he gets sends back in time, or remember, or Cortana picks his brains. Am sure 343 could have found a loop hole which would have let us go through that.

I think the reach animated series was great. Would have been great game and a great way to introduse blue team and the Chief to new comers. Watching him becomes the hero. The Spartan. The Master Chief :D

I wish I could make games. I would have made that to my self. :)

Still, I can't stop playing it. Love the MP. The gameplay is amazing.

They dont need to find a loophole really, just make it an off year game.

What does most of you guys use for zoom?
Old fashion halo right stick? Or like modern games left trigger?

I used to use Green Thumb which paired Zoom to B, Melee to Right Stick. So in halo 2/3 i would hit B when i'd wanted to zoom. It was sufficient since i didnt snipe much and mainly enganged in mid-range fights with the BR.

Now with a lot of long range battles becoming necesarry ive adopted the default Left Trigger zoom with the elite controller. Helps me sustatin and control my aim better while mid air floating. I can't go back to right stick zoom.

edit: Anyone use those domed sticks? i used it; it was harder for me to quickly perss X or Y with my thumb and accidently move the stick up. I want to use them since they feel great, but in practice they didn't help me out at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom