• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-posting from the Forge thread.

Managed to knock this together. Bit rough around the edges, but you get the idea.

Odyssey Base - A Halo 5 Forge Map for BTB
I love the showcase, and the map looks really fun. You should put the title of the song in the beginning too just in case people want to listen to it outside of the video. Good way to promote the music as well. I really like the care Forgers are putting into their maps, both in creation and reveal. Amazing community, I hope we never go backwards from this point and 343 keeps adding tools on top of what we have now.

TANGENT TIME

Halo 5 should be ground zero for this franchise moving forward. Halo 6 can't ship without Forge or Oddball or a File Browser or Big Team, etc. People have come to expect so much from this franchise, so when a new game comes out and it's missing something fans have come to love, the bitterness is amplified because of our long history with Halo. That's why I think 343 could benefit with Halo's multiplayer as a platform to iterate upon. So it'd look something like this:

Halo Multiplayer
---Content updates.
Campaign
---Every 2-3 years.
Spin-off titles (ie: Halo Wars)
---Filling the space between the campaigns.​

This franchise is too massive to keep redesigning the car every 3 years. Halo 5 is the skeleton of the car, with its multiplayer being the wheels and the content being everything else. As long as you have the skeleton and the wheels, you can keep moving forward with a foundation that works as you create new and exciting frames (campaign, spin-off titles, etc.) for fans to keep interested in.

I don't know if this was already known but yes you can get certification cards with the daily victory REQ packs, I just got this with my daily Warzone pack:

wccuz7y.png

Trup1aya

Winterfox with the epic choke...

Regarding spectate/streams, they need to build up the ingame client...

I should be able to easily view HCS matches in-game right from the menu screen. Then I wouldn't have to worry about being spoiled... I think CS does it this way.

Cross-posting from the Forge thread.

Managed to knock this together. Bit rough around the edges, but you get the idea.

Odyssey Base - A Halo 5 Forge Map for BTB

Definitely one of the better looking forge maps so far... Looks like the official rotation could use its presence. The generator concept is pretty cool too!

Halo 5 should be ground zero for this franchise moving forward. Halo 6 can't ship without Forge or Oddball or a File Browser or Big Team, etc. People have come to expect so much from this franchise, so when a new game comes out and it's missing something fans have come to love, the bitterness is amplified because of our long history with Halo. That's why I think 343 could benefit with Halo's multiplayer as a platform to iterate upon. So it'd look something like this:

Halo Multiplayer
---Content updates.
Campaign
---Every 2-3 years.
Spin-off titles (ie: Halo Wars)
---Filling the space between the campaigns.​

This franchise is too massive to keep redesigning the car every 3 years. Halo 5 is the skeleton of the car, with its multiplayer being the wheels and the content being everything else. As long as you have the skeleton and the wheels, you can keep moving forward with a foundation that works as you create new and exciting frames (campaign, spin-off titles, etc.) for fans to keep interested in.

this this this this. Halo 4 was straight trash so I'm positive they spent most of the time making the gameplay solid and to make the dedi's work (look at MCC). Halo 5 is going to stay semi unpopular, this is 343's time to rebuild the goodwill of the Halo community. Alot of people are still pissed about H4/MCC which was completely broken. Halo 6 with slight iterations on UI/Warzone/Gameplay/Theatre/Forge etc along with things like social playlists at launch, tons of gametypes at launch, PvE playlist at launch, daily/weekly/monthly challenges at launch, better REQ system at launch etc will be MASSIVE. By then the Xbone willbe $200 for a tiny xbone slim. H6 will be massive if 343 can slog through H5's lifetime and continue to iterate on feedback.

Strider

this this this this. Halo 4 was straight trash so I'm positive they spent most of the time making the gameplay solid and to make the dedi's work (look at MCC). Halo 5 is going to stay semi unpopular, this is 343's time to rebuild the goodwill of the Halo community. Alot of people are still pissed about H4/MCC which was completely broken. Halo 6 with slight iterations on UI/Warzone/Gameplay/Theatre/Forge etc along with things like social playlists at launch, tons of gametypes at launch, PvE playlist at launch, daily/weekly/monthly challenges at launch, better REQ system at launch etc will be MASSIVE. By then the Xbone willbe $200 for a tiny xbone slim. H6 will be massive if 343 can slog through H5's lifetime and continue to iterate on feedback.

Yea I agree with just building on the foundation of H5.

It kinda blew my mind earlier in the thread when H6 was brought up and a bunch of people are hoping H6 was on the next Xbox instead of the XB1. Heeeeell No.

Trup1aya

Yea I agree with just building on the foundation of H5.

It kinda blew my mind earlier in the thread when H6 was brought up and a bunch of people are hoping H6 was on the next Xbox instead of the XB1. Heeeeell No.

I'd like to spend the rest of this gen playing the MP defined by halo 5... A ODST style release or two to hold us over until next gen, which should launch with halo 6.

By that time,the Halo 5 spinoffs shouldve been able to fill the gaps in this mess of a story, and provide us with plenty of content to flesh out the halo 5 multiplayer suite.

BraXzy

Been playing through some customs I've downloaded to keep customs nights fresh.

Neon Coaster (Race map) and Mongoose Sumo are my current favourites :D

Strider

I'd like to spend the rest of this gen playing the MP defined by halo 5... A ODST style release or two to hold us over until next gen, which should launch with halo 6.

By that time,the Halo 5 spinoffs shouldve been able to fill the gaps in this mess of a story, and provide us with plenty of content to flesh out the halo 5 multiplayer suite.

That would most likely just lead to another main Halo title releasing with fewer content than needed and launching yet again on a console with a small install base.

Halo 5 can be filled out and receive years of support without forcing Halo 6 onto the next console.

I'll be crazy disappointed if I'm expected to buy another console to play Halo 6.

belushy

Banned
Benson is the worst Halo commentator lol

He thinks Cratos' name is "Messi" because his gamertag is "Cratos Messi"

If you're gonna commentate this scene you should know what all the players names are... especially the Top 8 teams.

edit:

Allegiance with an easy 3-0 over Elevate.

Nowise10

Still runs like 20-25 fps.

No screen-tearing though.

Arguably, that first campaign level of Reach tests everything out of an emulator.

Multiplayer definitely does not run at 20 fps. It is 30fps most of the time, with dips sometimes in "heavy" areas. Campaign may be a different story, I haven't played it.

TCKaos

Random thought whilst in bed watching the finals, Cortana as the announcer for Halo 6's Warzone would be awesome.

They should be REQ unlocks, like Firefight voices.

Jeff Steitzer, Sarah Palmer, Cortana, Master Chief, Arbiter, Locke, Buck, Pete Stacker.

clav

Multiplayer definitely does not run at 20 fps. It is 30fps most of the time, with dips sometimes in "heavy" areas. Campaign may be a different story, I haven't played it.

Oh I suppose multiplayer runs smoother just like the original did compared to campaign.

The resolution is very funky, and it bothers me after playing Halo 5 a lot.

Guess 343 gave up on putting Reach in MCC or rather MCC completely since there haven't been any game updates.

Oh I suppose multiplayer runs smoother just like the original did compared to campaign.

The resolution is very funky, and it bothers me after playing Halo 5 a lot.

Guess 343 gave up on putting Reach in MCC or rather MCC completely since there haven't been any game updates.

Implying that 343 ever indicated they were going to port Reach to the MCC, which they didn't. They also just made server updates in the MCC.

Madness

Having played Warzone quite a bit now, I think Steitzer should have at least been there for the big medals. I mean things like killing sprees or multikills. The action isn't as crazy as you would've thought before launch, where base captures, enemy AI, REQ levels are all the time. Sometimes it's too quiet.

Lore wise I can see why they didn't, especially as its supposed to be actual battles and Palmer is the Commander etc. It's not supposed to have the zanyness of Arena.

clav

Having played Warzone quite a bit now, I think Steitzer should have at least been there for the big medals. I mean things like killing sprees or multikills. The action isn't as crazy as you would've thought before launch, where base captures, enemy AI, REQ levels are all the time. Sometimes it's too quiet.

Lore wise I can see why they didn't, especially as its supposed to be actual battles and Palmer is the Commander etc. It's not supposed to have the zanyness of Arena.

I hate that new warzone map. It's all about long distance combat.

clav

I've only done Firefight and it was sub-30 the entire time.

Finished two Firefight matches.

Yeah it's 20ish still.

Again, no screen-tearing makes it playable without headaches.

It's one of the best maps to me, at least you can actually move around it.

Once the BRs are out, the game turns into who keeps shooting from the center of the map. You can't dart forward towards the center.

I think it sucks. That and Escape from A.R.C. can get pretty awful.

Any HaloGAFers around this evening 2000hrs UK time? Want to get some play-testing on my map done, so we may as well have a little forge testing session if anyone else has any maps they want to try out?

Madness

Some asshole broke out of the map in antifreeze and was griefing our side of the base during a ctf nonstop. I'm going to try and look in the theater for who it was. This should be an easy fix for them since it's a Forge map no?

Edit: wtf is this? The guy like got past the killzones all the way to the outside snow area and whatnot.

Some asshole broke out of the map in antifreeze and was griefing our side of the base during a ctf nonstop. I'm going to try and look in the theater for who it was. This should be an easy fix for them since it's a Forge map no?

Edit: wtf is this? The guy like got past the killzones all the way to the outside snow area and whatnot.

Jerks ALWAYS find a way.

Trup1aya

That would most likely just lead to another main Halo title releasing with fewer content than needed and launching yet again on a console with a small install base.

Halo 5 can be filled out and receive years of support without forcing Halo 6 onto the next console.

I'll be crazy disappointed if I'm expected to buy another console to play Halo 6.

I don't see why that would lead to H6 having less content or a poor installed base. If the game and console are good, people will buy them. They need to use H5 as a base and stop trying to reinvent the wheel everytime they make a game...

I'm not too hung up on the number that sits next to the title. I think the next halo game should be treated like a sequel in terms of advancing the gameplay and story, I just don't think 343s typical release cycle is enough time to deliver the things H5 is missing using the current hardware. So they should make Halo 5: "back story" instead.

Halo6 deserves locked 60fps, locked 1080p (or better), 4 player split-screen, LAN support, a story that makes sense and should be a graphical benchmark. I can't see that happening this gen.

singhr1

Yeah, probably got it from Faze Kampy's vids. He did a recent vid where he got a killionaire from that position.

E92 M3

The games are streamed with a delay, like couple minutes.

I meant looking at the individual streamers, just a guess though. Of course it wouldn't be much of help, but if it's 49-49 and everyone is crouching...

---

Opinion on REQ system: I don't think it's suitable for customization, at this point I don't even consider req stuff "upgrades" or new content. It's all RNG and Arena gives req points at a measly rate. They should have tied basic customization to RNG. I think that's a very flawed approach. More often than not, it's just junk coming out of those cards.

Leyasu

Banned
I meant looking at the individual streamers, just a guess though. Of course it wouldn't be much of help, but if it's 49-49 and everyone is crouching...

---

Opinion on REQ system: I don't think it's suitable for customization, at this point I don't even consider req stuff "upgrades" or new content. It's all RNG and Arena gives req points at a measly rate. They should have tied basic customization to RNG. I think that's a very flawed approach. More often than not, it's just junk coming out of those cards.

They are talking about increasing REQ gains for Arena so that is a good direction, also I do think the level up experience could be improved, like more guaranteed cosmetic unlocks in the level up REQ packs would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom