• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I'd really like an inside look at the decision making behind Halo 5's sustain plan. I'm consistently find myself baffled...

Who's idea was it to launch with so few game modes, and fail to release classic ones for over 3 months? Who's idea was it to have BTB feature forge maps exclusively? Who's thought it was cool to reuse the same buildings over and over again in the Warzone maps? Who thought it was cool to cut Warzone maps in half and call them New maps?

Why did anyone think these things would be pleasing to the customer? I consistently find myself in between loving this game and hating the fact that I paid full price for it. Looking closely at the 'new' map Urban, and seeing yet another fucking Armory plopped in where the Monument was makes me sick. Then, reading the Community Update about it, where Bravo and crew attempt to describe it as something other than rehash makes me angry...

This. I'm not sure what happened over the development of Halo 5, but it seems like things got really hella rocky in order for stuff to shake out the way it has. It just seems like for every good move 343 makes, they have 2 bad ones immediately following. I'm not sure what to think any more. I love the game, but it's so hard to know what to hope for with the future of the franchise. Like, ya'll have had 3 chances now to execute. What's keeping you from delivering? It's not like they're not capable, we can clearly see that they can make stuff work. I dunno man. It's discouraging and frustrating at the same time.

Damn, Breakout numbers must be low, got paired against Onyx while the rest of us were gold, one silver, one platinum etc.

It is one of the least popular gamemodes:

Warzone
Slayer
Team Arena
SWAT
Big Team Battle
Holiday Social
Warzone Assault
Breakout
Holiday Doubles
Free for All

I honestly don't play it much, I never really enjoyed it.

Einhandr

I just sent a request to join HaloGAF SC (XBL: Einhandr). I just wanted to post here to confirm that it was me (is there anything else I need to do?).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
*sensible chuckle*
himZD0M.gif

TCKaos

I think they counted on Warzone doing more work than it has for the community.

I mean, what did they think was going to happen? They have four maps (one of which is actually good, two of which that are serviceable and one of which is bad) that recycle encounters to save resources.

Escape from Arc doesn't suit vehicle play due to the tight corridors that they have to use. Warthogs can't roam, tanks are confined, Banshees and Phaetons have no cover. This renders like half of the REQ cards completely pointless as players figure out how to attack both enemy bases simultaneously, using the assault on one base to distract the defense on the other. Every time. The bosses are in an area that can't be properly accessed by vehicles except in a single lane, where they must remain almost stationary.

Battle of Noctus hinges on the capture of the Monument, an original piece of geometry (something new and interesting given 343's DLC plan). If you don't get the Monument, the chances that you'll be able to capture it are nearly zero, as the Monument is the only important location on the map. All bosses spawn within pissing distance of it and it overlooks both Garages. If you control the Monument the map can be fun and interesting, and if you don't it's a boring and inevitable march towards your defeat. Again, there's a single circle that vehicles traverse along, making vehicle play difficult and unfun for the most part.

March on Stormbreak is shit. It's a series of lanes that result in a constant tug-of-war through or around the Fortress. If you don't manage to kill Lochagos and take the Fortress you'll probably lose, since you're going to start at a massive, unrecoverable 150 point deficit. The map is a bunch of straightaways with minimal cover. The Fortress is a poorly designed mess that needs either more openings or more cover for infantry to use while they move in, because as it stands the only cover is the doorways.

Raid on Apex 7 is probably the single best multiplayer experience in this game when it goes well. The island is the most well designed location in the game, allowing for a balanced variety of vehicle combat and infantry combat. Air vehicles have plenty of cover but are still combatable, tanks have more than an inch of wiggle room, and Warthogs can fucking roam. I feel like this is the only map where the standard Warthog is both viable and enjoyable. It feels good just to drive along the beach, moving from one base to the other. There are plenty of vehicle and infantry pathways that allow you to attack bases from multiple angles. It's easily the best map, bar none.

Trup1aya

The engine? Heavy story re-writes (using the massive difference between marketing and actual game content as a reference)? MP being done in house for the first time?

Maybe,..Would story rewrites affect MP assets? Why not use contractors to create MP assets?

I totally see where you're coming from. I shake my head at some of the same stuff. You'd think after this long they'd have a set of standard features and then add new features onto that. Don't get me wrong the base game is some of the best Halo ever but simple things seem to have been overlooked. It is all very strange to me.

Strange It is. When I look at what's been released so far, I can't even say with confidence that it wasn't already finished, but held back for sustain... There's so much rehash, that I can't imagine they'd take so long getting it done

I think they counted on Warzone doing more work than it has for the community.

Maybe. but if that were the case you'd think they would have the Warzone content to show. I mean, they couldn't have honestly believed that 3 Warzone maps which all share the same main battle locations would do much more work than it has.

I mean, what did they think was going to happen? They have four maps (one of which is actually good, two of which that are serviceable and one of which is bad) that recycle encounters to save resources.

Escape from Arc doesn't suit vehicle play due to the tight corridors that they have to use. Warthogs can't roam, tanks are confined, Banshees and Phaetons have no cover. This renders like half of the REQ cards completely pointless as players figure out how to attack both enemy bases simultaneously, using the assault on one base to distract the defense on the other. Every time. The bosses are in an area that can't be properly accessed by vehicles except in a single lane, where they must remain almost stationary.

Battle of Noctus hinges on the capture of the Monument, an original piece of geometry (something new and interesting given 343's DLC plan). If you don't get the Monument, the chances that you'll be able to capture it are nearly zero, as the Monument is the only important location on the map. All bosses spawn within pissing distance of it and it overlooks both Garages. If you control the Monument the map can be fun and interesting, and if you don't it's a boring and inevitable march towards your defeat. Again, there's a single circle that vehicles traverse along, making vehicle play difficult and unfun for the most part.

March on Stormbreak is shit. It's a series of lanes that result in a constant tug-of-war through or around the Fortress. If you don't manage to kill Lochagos and take the Fortress you'll probably lose, since you're going to start at a massive, unrecoverable 150 point deficit. The map is a bunch of straightaways with minimal cover. The Fortress is a poorly designed mess that needs either more openings or more cover for infantry to use while they move in, because as it stands the only cover is the doorways.

Raid on Apex 7 is probably the single best multiplayer experience in this game when it goes well. The island is the most well designed location in the game, allowing for a balanced variety of vehicle combat and infantry combat. Air vehicles have plenty of cover but are still combatable, tanks have more than an inch of wiggle room, and Warthogs can fucking roam. I feel like this is the only map where the standard Warthog is both viable and enjoyable. It feels good just to drive along the beach, moving from one base to the other. There are plenty of vehicle and infantry pathways that allow you to attack bases from multiple angles. It's easily the best map, bar none.

I agree with most of this, but I still really enjoy stormbreak... I have no dramas with locogos, the sprint to get to him is rewarding. Do you risk charging through the hoards of promethians with 2 splinters in your pocket? Do you pick off the opposition until his health is down?
It's one of the better legendary battles imo.

Noctus has issues imo, at first I thought I cold have fun in a tank but the massive man cannons mean you just get dive bombed.
And the monument looking over both bases is so dumb, a good team will have snipers up there making it so hard to move forward.

I think noctus is a good map with some bad problems.

Man, I'd really like an inside look at the decision making behind Halo 5's sustain plan. I'm consistently find myself baffled...

Who's idea was it to launch with so few game modes, and fail to release classic ones for over 3 months? Who's idea was it to have BTB feature forge maps exclusively? Who's thought it was cool to reuse the same buildings over and over again in the Warzone maps? Who thought it was cool to cut Warzone maps in half and call them New maps?

Why did anyone think these things would be pleasing to the customer? I consistently find myself in between loving this game and hating the fact that I paid full price for it. Looking closely at the 'new' map Urban, and seeing yet another fucking Armory plopped in where the Monument was makes me sick. Then, reading the Community Update about it, where Bravo and crew attempt to describe it as something other than rehash makes me angry...

All truth. All truth. Baffling and angering.

It's best to assume the game just wasn't ready to launch until June 2016

I wont fall for their BS again. Shame on me for falling for it twice in a row.

Ramirez

You know what this game is missing?

Team Duals on Snowbound
Multi Team Crazy King on Epitaph
Rocket Race on Sandtrap

This is why I can't get mad over stuff. This is easily the best MM experience Halo has ever had, and it's only going to get better.

That shit up there ruined 50% of my play time every night for years.

This is why I can't get mad over stuff. This is easily the best MM experience Halo has ever had, and it's only going to get better.

That shit up there ruined 50% of my play time every night for years.

Was trolling for the first two but Rocket Race was a legit weekend playlist.

8e6bd02d7fb1a1807518614f3c9c9e33.png

I respectfully disagree.
hue.
that tank world game type looks awesome

siap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6yigfXf_SI
4v4 and BTB Action Sack playlists would be great.
You know what this game is missing?

Team Duals on Snowbound
Multi Team Crazy King on Epitaph
Rocket Race on Sandtrap
Halo 3 killed Halo. Bungie had an opportunity to save us after Halo 2's misdirection, twice.. instead they gave us Halo 3 and Reach. They then had a chance at redemption with a new franchise, but they gave us Destiny.

Way to go Bungie.

ATTENTION

EVERYONE WATCH THE ASIAN QUALIFIERS RIGHT NOW

My side's are going to burst. The commentators are so bad that it's funny.

Also they didn't turn off notifications so people keep messaging the players/sending friend requests.

All this combined with the twitch chat is throwing me into an unstoppable laughing fit.

Nutter

Playlist management needs a reset.

90% of our Arena games tonight were Strongholds + Breakout.

I know new modes are getting the spotlight, but good lord, how about making it an equal chance to get CTF/Slayer versus Strongholds or Breakout over and over again.

Team Rockets// or w/e it is called should only be a weekend playlist if there is an actual Social Playlist that housed all of Arena gametypes. Without an actual Social playlist, I am not sure why we are getting a lame game type for our weekends.

mo60

This is the closest match I have ever played in warzone. My team lost by 1 point because we had one base while the enemy team had two bases. Despite that base advantage for the other team we still managed to get close to beating them in the end.

Welfare

I think I could go into matchmaking, grap 3 randoms with no mics, and finish first place in this qualifier.

These commentators tho lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom