• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

So will we be able to spawn in with the new (old) rocket launcher in customs?

That teaser was literally a 5 second snippet at the very end of the stream at which point it cut to thanks for watching. I guess we'll find out more about it in the lead up to the December release.

I REALLY hope that it can be unlocked as a skin, but it's not really a skin when it's a completely different model.. I just want the classic launcher, but it's very doubtful that will happen :(

Glass

New forge map!

But that blue sun thing isn't in any of the Forge canvases?

And isn't the SPNKr a legendary Warzone variant?

mzinRl1.gif

Zeta Oni

So, If the Warzone REQ pack cards you get give you 3 permanent unlocks and a higher chance at a legendary and rare unlock, don't they technically become more valuable the more of the basic options you have unlocked already before using them?

Edit: meaning you should hold on to them until you have all of the common and uncommon unlocks.

TrounceX

I have to say, 343 is handling this launch about as well as any developer possibly could.

Fuck the negativity, here are the things I love about Halo 5:

- 60fps
- Movement and aiming are fantastic. Just the right amount of aim assist.
- Sandbox is the most balanced it's ever been by a wide margin.
- Spartan abilities are balanced almost perfectly. Before, every time something was added to the core gameplay experience, it's felt out of place or broke the sandbox. Not this time.
- Plenty of small arena maps.
- Map design is fantastic. Lots of thought put into sight lines and movement options.
- Fast matchmaking system that's been very stable.
- Competent ranking system, finally. There is tension in searching, I have tons of close games, even searching alone seems to work out well.
- Req system strikes a good balance on the pay to win scale and is addicting as hell.
- HCS looks legit as hell. Welcome back MLG.
- Extremely fast implementation of fixes and features based on community feedback.
- Content trickle and playlist rotations to keep the community strong. Playing the long game like this is how you build the community again.

People on here like to get all snarky about the Pro Team, but from my perspective their input is what has made Halo great again. The influence of having competent players play-testing the game is remarkably evident here. The spartan abilities, weapon sandbox, and map design wouldn't be nearly as balanced without them. They are worth every penny.

1:57 - 1:59 whoa that bullet magnetism. If I was that guy I'd be pissed.

It's due to playing on a US server from Scotland, while playing it looked completely different from my perspective (and hit detection is based on that, not sure exactly how they do it). My aim is not perfect but it's much better than that. :p

Voho

New forge map!

mzinRl1.gif
It could be one of the variations of the space canvas, since each variation has a different Sky box afaik.

I hope they listen to feedback and add warzone items to forge.

Obscured

So, If the Warzone REQ pack cards you get give you 3 permanent unlocks and a higher chance at a legendary and rare unlock, don't they technically become more valuable the more of the basic options you have unlocked already before using them?

Edit: meaning you should hold on to them until you have all of the common and uncommon unlocks.

That is correct. Somewhere in this thread is a breakdown of the optimal number of bronze, then silver and the gold packs to buy. I believe it came from Reddit.

What is up with scout warthogs, I've never been able to climb into the back of one, but isn't that the point of them?

I was disappointed about that as well. I thought they were going to be like a transport hog. To make it up to me 343 could just add a transport hog.

That is Mark IV actually, the helmet from Halo Wars. Mark V should still be on the way. Hopefully they make it look like the Halo 3 variant instead of the Halo CEA variant, always like that iteration more.

Helmet study:
Dj0xF.jpg

Reach Mark V was meh. Again I really hope they go with Halo 3 style!
Nice observation, I hope this is the case.

BraXzy

New forge map!

mzinRl1.gif

Oh snap, you make some very good points :O

Would love if this accidentally confirmed Warzone stuff in customs/forge.

And that GIF is just too good lmao!

BraXzy

As much as I would love it, I doubted very much we would get dev made maps before January. Think about most games and their traditional map pack releases. The first one is usually 2/3 months post launch, plus, we're getting Forge released next month and we've already had BTB added.

NOKYARD

Would you be rebuilding it then or is there really an option to change the canvas of a map? Thought that was debunked.
I don't know where that feature landed. My assumption is that you can save things like complete bases in your (unconfirmed) File Shares. If so, you could potentially move a map from one canvas to another.

that's right! betta mention NOKYARD!!!!!

sorry if I misspelled your name.
It's NOKYARD!!!!!!. You missed one "!".

NOKYARD is a by the numbers guy in Forge and likes to fine tune his maps using the decimals when needed, and makes great BTB maps too.
It was kind of funny that while i was there one dev said i was a numbers guy, two of the other CCs said i was a Magnets guy, and one dev said i was a 'hand placement' guy. They are all correct.

Looked like a forge map ZzzZZzz
It is. (see below)

Moon themed texture pack for Forge? or some space rock like area.
The space map Parallax has black asteroid terrain and rock pieces. They look great when intermixed with the snow pieces from Glacier.

BraXzy

After giving the Forge blog post a quick re-read, it's great to see this, didn't spot it first time I read through.

Unconstrained Objects – We’ve maintained keeping all of the objects in Forge “map autonomous” meaning any object can be placed on any map thanks to our engines new asset management systems. Now users can experiment and try pretty much any idea on any map. For example if you wanted to you could place a Scorpion tank in the middle of Truth. This doesn’t mean you should, but you could.

That was one of the little things that bugged me in the past. Being constrained by map on what you could place. Love that they've just done away with that and given complete freedom.

Nutter

You guys need to relax on the map front. Just because they are pushing forge does not mean there are no non forge maps coming.

BraXzy

1 warzone map, 3 arena maps and maybe 1 BTB too. February release... ?

seems on par content wise as other fps games

I was thinking a similar thing.

3-4 Arena maps, four if one was a remix. I'd take a Haven remaster too for the fourth :D

1-2 Warzone maps. I'd assume the Urban map will be first up. I'd happily have a second though (technically that would be 4 though with the Assault versions.)

1 BTB map, just so that we had one sexy BTB map.

You guys need to relax on the map front. Just because they are pushing forge does not mean there are no non forge maps coming.
The games been out for like 3 weeks too. Does everyone really expect a bunch of official maps to be released less than a month out from launch? Come on guys...

BraXzy

The games been out for like 3 weeks too. Does everyone really expect a bunch of official maps to be released less than a month out from launch? Come on guys...

Eh, there was literally two people who mentioned the forge thing.

I think it's just because the current map line up feels a little short atm people are desperate for more. But obviously official maps take time.

That is Mark IV actually, the helmet from Halo Wars. Mark V should still be on the way. Hopefully they make it look like the Halo 3 variant instead of the Halo CEA variant, always like that iteration more.

Helmet study:
Dj0xF.jpg

Reach Mark V was meh. Again I really hope they go with Halo 3 style!
I just want to say that when I think about halo design, these helmets are what I expect from Spartans.

halo 4 and 5 seemed to have gone the wrong way for Spartan design when it comes to anyone other then the master chief and I dislike it. even reach went a bit wild with design.

As much as I would love it, I doubted very much we would get dev made maps before January. Think about most games and their traditional map pack releases. The first one is usually 2/3 months post launch, plus, we're getting Forge released next month and we've already had BTB added.
But they already didn't make many maps... Too many resources to warzone I guess.

Welfare

Just saying, we got the Crimson map pack with 3 dev maps a little over a month after Halo 4 launched.

belushy

Banned
After giving the Forge blog post a quick re-read, it's great to see this, didn't spot it first time I read through.

That was one of the little things that bugged me in the past. Being constrained by map on what you could place. Love that they've just done away with that and given complete freedom.

Yep. I look forward to Scorpion 1v1s on Truth.

I just want to say that when I think about halo design, these helmets are what I expect from Spartans.

halo 4 and 5 seemed to have gone the wrong way for Spartan design when it comes to anyone other then the master chief and I dislike it. even reach went a bit wild with design.

Disagree to an extent, there are plenty of good helmets in 5. Fred, Vale and Kelly all have pretty good helmets that are newly designed. Then there's some classic ones like Buck's and the Noble helmet. Though there are certainly a bunch of ugly ones as well, there's enough viable options.

Reach's Mk. V was shit, 4 had a better version, anything like 4, 3 or CEA would be acceptable.

Just saying, we got the Crimson map pack with 3 dev maps a little over a month after Halo 4 launched.

Plus we saw the city warzone map, so they must have some DLC maps close to ready.

BraXzy

Plus we saw the city warzone map, so they must have some DLC maps close to ready.

Considering that was shown pre-release, it'd be awesome if it'd just been held back slightly to nail the balance on it, and it comes as part of the December update.

It feels like it was intended for launch but needed more time to work.

Madness

Disagree to an extent, there are plenty of good helmets in 5. Fred, Vale and Kelly all have pretty good helmets that are newly designed. Then there's some classic ones like Buck's and the Noble helmet. Though there are certainly a bunch of ugly ones as well, there's enough viable options.

Reach's Mk. V was shit, 4 had a better version, anything like 4, 3 or CEA would be acceptable.

Man Fred's concept art helmet makes the Centurion look like a piece of shit. I wanted the entire Blue Team to have various green colored armors, and helmets that all match or look like Mark IV, Mark V, Mark VI. I'd say Linda is pure garbage though. Kelly probably has the best out of them.

Whoever was bitching about joining in progress id like to personally thank you for this 8v4 btb I'm currently part of.

Removing join in progress makes btb unplayable.

It's pretty obvious 343 doesn't have a handle on quitters from other modes. Eating 3 times the deaths in order to avoid quitting penalty is stupid.

Fuck guillotine, worst map.

I kinda hate Basin. Idk what exactly makes that map so frustrating but it's bad. Maybe it's the sight lines, tower and how pretty common for the other team to snatch two snipers to pin the fuck out of your team to oblivion. Let alone the vehicles that splatter you the moment you just spawned outside your base.

Resuming my save on the Battle of Sunaion results In a crash to dashboard. And people wonder why the game is getting updates in a more controlled fashion.

Whoever was bitching about joining in progress id like to personally thank you for this 8v4 btb I'm currently part of.

Also fuck guillotine.

Awful map.

Wut. Guillotine is the best map. Basin and it's bland ass design is the worst map, it also comes up the most to make matters worse.

rrc1594

Guys I was thinking of hosting a Gaf community BTB event. I was thinking next Saturday, but I know that's after Thanksgiving people may be spending time with family. Is anyone interested?

It's cool that they're adding the classic Halo CE/Halo Wars armor but I find it difficult to get excited about new armor sets, especially Mark IV since it will probably be a Legendary or a Legendary Mythic set which means most of us will never have it.

Before the game came out, I never thought I would say this, but I much, much, MUCH prefer the concrete unlocking systems of Halo 3, Reach, and Halo 4. It actually meant something in those games when you had a certain armor set, besides time investment. You completed the Vidmaster Challenges (Recon), you reached a certain rank in a competitive playlist (Rogue), you got 1000G in Halo 3 (Security). I also wouldn't mind if they sold these new cosmetic REQs in $5-10 packs that included all of the new content each major update added. But that won't make them money for tournaments, so I guess that's that.

Maybe it's just me. I went hard on this game for the first few weeks and I have over 110 hours in the multiplayer alone, but I've reached my breaking point. There are plenty of armor sets I want to unlock but I am so burnt out on the game that I just don't care anymore. The random REQ rewards system is great for some people, and when you toss a SR-30 player a sweet Venator helmet one day, that's exciting, and makes them want to keep playing because the game is rewarding them. But I'm SR-64, higher than 99% of people I see in matchmaking (only other person I know in the 60s is Wesley) and I have gotten nothing notable despite the immense amount of time I've invested.

I got the shitty end of the random stick and when that happens, the game is less engaging and sustains interest for much less time than if there was simply a new armor unlocked for you every 3-5 levels or so. I'm looking forward to the Forge update but I've put the game down for now in favor of Black Ops 3, which all of my friends dropped Halo to play the day it came out.

Bsigg12

It's basically what the HCS gametypes are supposed to be. A mix of Slayer, Objective and for some reason Breakout I guess.

I have a feeling Breakout will be removed from the Team Arena playlist sooner rather than later. I love me some Breakout but it conflicts with the rest of the playlist that use standard shields and loadouts and is a little jarring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom