• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leyasu

Banned
Quitters have destroyed BTB for me. Since they removed JiP they need to aggressively start banning quitters to make it less appealing. The worse for me are stronghold matches. Seems like half the team quits as soon as we start losing.

Btw what's up with people not playing the objectives in BTB? They just want to run around and death match. Never really have this issue in team arena.
Just had two games finish 4-8 smfh

Spasm

Both JIP and no JIP is a double edged sword with flaws on both sides, it's hard to get a balance especially for a ranked playlist, which is what BTB seems to be.

I don't mind it being ranked personally as all arena modes having a rank is nice but it can ruin things when not set up well.
Having JIP is definitely the lesser of two evils. It's Halo, at least 1 player will quit the vast majority of the time, especially in BTB.

Experiment time, everyone take a moment during post-game to check the roster. If it's full, mark it. After 10 games, count your marks. I predict most will have 1 or 2 marks, tops.

Trup1aya

Agreed. Headsets help immensely.

@ truplayer I see where you are coming from. But would you not want some support when you drop to 5 or 6 players?

I'd love some support. But I don't like the idea of forcing someone to support me. That's selfish.

Now if people could volunteer to be Jippers, I think everyone would be happy.

Caja 117

It sure as hell is, when you join in progress there's no opportunity to beat the other team to initial power weapons. You also lose out on being able to get a feel for the game and adapt accordingly, as by time you do so in JIP that game nears its conclusion. People shouldn't be punished for a game they weren't even a part of because someone quits out. From the other perspective of being a player in a game where teammates quit, it's better for the game to end quickly so I can move on to the next, when a cascade of players quit it's usually because you were going to lose anyway. Alternatively, even with JIP the other team has a chance to get a foothold on the match in the time frame before you get a new teammate, so it rarely helps anyway. It's not a real solution to quitting, it's a false sense of security to existing players. All that being said, I actually think BTB should keep JIP but should be social. 1 player can play extremely well and still lose a game as he makes up a smaller percent of the team, it's harder to influence so ranks don't reflect skill anyway. But let's not act like JIP is a non-issue. It's garbage.

Thats the word I was looking for, if you are in a stronghold game and 3 players quit midway trough the game because you already loosing by 50 points, what make you think 3 player will join in time to revert that? or what make you think this new JiP players will stay to just get their KD suffer because of a game that is out of control?

Having JIP is definitely the lesser of two evils. It's Halo, at least 1 player will quit the vast majority of the time, especially in BTB.

Experiment time, everyone take a moment during post-game to check the roster. If it's full, mark it. After 10 games, count your marks. I predict most will have 1 or 2 marks, tops.

and I Bet you everyone experience will vary, is about who is winning and who is not, if you have have someone quitting 8 out of 10 times, that means that you are on a loosing team 8 out of 10 times.

Frank already said they are looking for a solution anyway. Honestly, BTB shouldn't be ranked, BTB worked just fine in reach and Halo 3 with no JiP, but BTB where social, so people played to just have fun, and not to try hard because you have a rank to keep/reach.

But, at the end, JiP is not a solution for quitters, is just something to make the players in that have the quitters feeel good that they have a team, but if they are going to put JiP, give me the option to not go in it, I prefer people quitting 8 out of 10 times from my team, that been thrown out in a situation where the other team have total map control.

Glass

For me, BTB is just such a different beast from Arena, JIP is acceptable. It's a mode where if you and your buddy jump into a warthog, you are going to give the other team two free kills. At any one time there are 46 power weapons on the map. Give or take. It's a mode to cut loose a little.

If they did add in an optional JIP switch for each person, those that leave it on should get bonus exp or not have a loss in a match they joined late effect the oh so precious BTB rank
/s

Spasm

and I Bet you everyone experience will vary, is about who is winning and who is not, if you have have someone quitting 8 out of 10 times, that means that you are on a loosing team 8 out of 10 times.
I'm not even talking about just my own team, but the whole match in general.

Of course it will vary. My first game of Strongholds this morning, 60-0, guy on the winning team quits. That team loses.

Jumeira

Banned
Have 343i said anything about new maps being relegated to Forge maps? I really, really hope that's not the case, will kill the game me if it is.

Part of new map reveals is taking in the new environment and assets. Not retreading in familiar looking terrain.

Slayer really needs it.

Caja 117

I'm not even talking about just my own team, but the whole match in general.

Of course it will vary. My first game of Strongholds this morning, 60-0, guy on the winning team quits. That team loses.

Thats different.

But Frank said they are working on a solution, I mean, a JiP for a team that lost a player at the beggining of the game sounds good and Player rejoining the team after a certain window in the game, but JiP shouldn't be allowed on matches where a player quit after the game been halfway done and is loop-sided on one team . it is not fair for the player joining in and for the team that forced players to quit, thats part of Halo, sometimes one team dominate so much that just make the other team rage quit..

Spasm

I would choose to search matches already started.

I've been barking up this tree for months.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=145379377#post145379377

If they did add in an optional JIP switch for each person, those that leave it on should get bonus exp or not have a loss in a match they joined late effect the oh so precious BTB rank
/s

They can definitely put some thought into it to make it as painless as possible, maybe even all-around positive!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=186208271&highlight=massive#post186208271

Spasm

Thats different.

But Frank said they are working on a solution, I mean, a JiP for a team that lost a player at the beggining of the game sounds good and Player rejoining team after a certain windows, but JiP shouldnt be on a matches where a players quit after the game been halfway done and is loop-sided on one team . it is not fair for the player joining in.

It's not fair for the 1 or 2 guys joining. It's also not fair for the 6 or 7 guys who stuck around.

edit: Shit, double-post.

Caja 117

It's not fair for the 1 or 2 guys joining. It's also not fair for the 6 or 7 guys who stuck around.

But is on them to stay around in that game and is on them also that they let the other team have a loopsided score, so having 1 or 2 players joining in the massacre is not going to make it better for the team, just worst for the one joining in the mess that is the fault of the guys that stuck around.

The other day I decided to solo some BTB, map loads up and the first thing I see is "Defeat" Game ended just as I joined. Silver lining I got 237 req points for not even spawning.

Trup1aya

That's true, but the 6 or 7 who stayed are the victim of asshole players.

The 1 or 2 joining are the victim of decisions the developer made...

There are always gonna be asshole players. But devs should never implement systems that punish players who have done nothing wrong.

I see you are a fan of opt-in JiP... That's really the only acceptable way to do it. Victimless.

Grisby

Guillotine feels like a pseudo mirrors edge map in visual design.

Btb has been pretty fun. Only problem is the quitters, which often leaves my team at half strength.

Can see that it's already being discussed though, lol.

belushy

Banned
Have 343i said anything about new maps being relegated to Forge maps? I really, really hope that's not the case, will kill the game me if it is.

Part of new map reveals is taking in the new environment and assets. Not retreading in familiar looking terrain.

Slayer really needs it.

We're getting dev dlc maps. Just not 3 weeks after launch.

Strider

If there's optional JiP who is going to actually opt-in tho?

People want players to populate their games and fill in for quitters but no one likes doing it themselves. Optional JiP is good in theory but in practice it wouldn't work nearly as effectively as some of you seem to think.

Caja 117

That's true, but the 6 or 7 who stayed are the victim of asshole players.

The 1 or 2 joining are the victim of decisions the developer made...

There are always gonna be asshole players. But devs should never implement systems that punish players who have done nothing wrong.

I see you are a fan of opt-in JiP... That's really the only acceptable way to do it. Victimless.

My example had the team already on a loopside situation before anyone quits, so no, the 6 or 7 guys are not victims in my example.

People want players to populate their games and fill in for quitters but no one likes doing it themselves. Optional JiP is good in theory but in practice it wouldn't work nearly as effectively as some of you seem to think.

Exactly, everyone wants player to Join in when someone quits, but no one wants to join a game that is already in progress.

The whole ranking thing with top 200 players, what if the high tier ranks like onyx and champ were regional based? so top 200 east / west coast / europe / asia, would that work?

Since pro's right now can be waiting up to 10 minutes for a match in slayer and even longer in other modes, would regional rankings help?

It should be an opt-out setting rather than opt-in. It's like donating organs, in countries where you have to opt-out the donation rate is higher. :p

Lol WOW. I was just playing campaign on Swords of Sanghelios and got sniped. I pressed the B button for my team to help me up but they all just stood there looking at me until I bled out (they were completely covered and couldn't have been shot). Then they all looked at the camera and the game crashed to the dash. Awesome.

Edit: And I try to reload my save and it crashes to the dash. Double awesome.

speaking of the mantis is it me or are they really weak now, every time I see someone try to use one it goes down in seconds.

It's like mongoose's got buffed and warthogs and mantis had a nerf.

Caja 117

Lol WOW. I was just playing campaign on Swords of Sanghelios and got sniped. I pressed the B button for my team to help me up but they all just stood there looking at me until I bled out (they were completely covered and couldn't have been shot). Then they all looked at the camera and the game crashed to the dash. Awesome.

I have a friend that is going trough that, how can this be fixed?

Trup1aya

People would definately do it... Especially if they are given extra XP and/or RP

Moral of the story? Don't get sniped. They cut the audio, but in reality those other Spartans are laughing at you.

Do any games do JiP where players can only join a game under specific conditons? Like it has to be the first half of the game or the team you join can't be losing by x points/kills. I think that would be the best way to go about it.

Caja 117

Do any games do JiP where players can only join a game under specific conditons? Like it has to be the first half of the game or the team you join can't be losing by x points/kills. I think that would be the best way to go about it.

I might be wrong, but Halo 4 started with no JiP restriction, and after some months they change it with some restriction were they controlled that a player Joining a game would never join a match that was almost done.

Edit, Found it:

As for the join in progress changes for multiplayer, 343 Industries detailed the following settings.

Once a match has passed just over half of the total game time, Join-in-Progress is disabled across all game modes and playlists.
Rumble Pit now has the smallest Join-in-Progress window, only allowing players to join during the first few kills of a match.
In Slayer matches outside of Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after one team has reached just over half of the score limit.
In King of the Hill and Oddball, players will no longer join in the second half of the game in regards to score limit.
In Grifball, players will no longer join single-round matches if over 3 goals have been scored by one team. We will be updating Grifball Pro to similar settings in the next update.
In Team Throwdown and Team Doubles, players will no longer join after a small join window during and before the first moments of a match.

Amazing how people forget kinect can hear them like a headset, people talking about all kinds of shit.

When JIP was enabled in BTB before yesterday people would stop joining about 5 minutes in, or at least half way into a match quitters were never replaced.

BraXzy

I might be wrong, but Halo 4 started with no JiP restriction, and after some months they change it with some restriction were they controlled that a player Joining a game would never join a match that was almost done.

Edit, Found it:

That was how the current JiP system was supposed to work too but they found that people were still joining too late into the game so till they figure out a better solution they've temp disabled it.

It's near impossble to rank up in BTB, the matches are all over the place due to the nature of big teams and earning win ranking xp is really low compared to 4 v 4 arena, at least that's how it feels to me.

I've been plat rank 1 since I was ranked, never hit 2 ever while to compare in team slayer I go up and down all the time from a few matches.

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
Have they lowered the quality of cards you get from silver packs? I'm getting mostly uncommon cards now when I was getting mostly rare cards before.

pieface

JIP should be an option for people, and by default should be set to yes. That would just solve the whole debate. A lot of people don't care about their rank etc... I'm one of them. All I want is a fair match.

As long as you get the same REQ and XP rewards as for a full match I would happily do it.

It's near impossble to rank up in BTB, the matches are all over the place due to the nature of big teams and earning win ranking xp is really low compared to 4 v 4 arena, at least that's how it feels to me.

I've been plat rank 1 since I was ranked, never hit 2 ever while to compare in team slayer I go up and down all the time from a few matches.

Yeah, it's pretty hard without a team. When it's 4v4 you can easily have a huge impact on the game. 8v8 there are just too many factors to take into consideration and you can't carry like you do in the smaller game modes. I'll stay Plat 1 in BTB, don't really care, it's BTB after all.

Leyasu

Banned
Shout out to squiretuck for the awesome afternoon of BTB mayhem.. Damn that was good. Apart from one US server, the euro server run continues as well.

Need some more eu/uk adult gaffers who don't give a fuck and just wanna cut loose in the best BTB of the series. Yeah I know that for the moment it is missing sinle bomb flag etc. But halo 5 BTB is something else.

Oh yeah 343, please make jip optional. Although not many quitters the last hour or so. Love it.

Kibbles

JiP where it negatively affects your ranking is fucking dumb. Do it like CoD or don't do it at all. Can't believe people are even arguing this.

Tawpgun

1. BTB should not have been ranked. But I think that was just a convenience thing for them since ranked is the arena default. Might be more work to make a social playlist.

2. It should have JIP regardless. It's BTB. Don't take it that seriously.

Leyasu

Banned
My example had the team already on a loopside situation before anyone quits, so no, the 6 or 7 guys are not victims in my example.

Exactly, everyone wants player to Join in when someone quits, but no one wants to join a game that is already in progress.

If there was a check box where the game would search for games already started as well as new games, then yes I would tick the box no problems. I don't mind coming in yo give support and Hoover up some quick req points.. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom