• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haines

Banned
Started a fireteam of 4 stragglers with mics I found game byvgame and we just wrecked btb games had so much fun

Online mp you need people on mics and a snadbox to play in and your golden

malfcn

Hot damn. BTB really has its epic moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4BkkfkaGWQ

Foghorn_Leghorn2.jpg

Indeed.

Obscured

Something is up. I'm getting stuck on the game loading screen in Warzone and then it eventually quits to an unable to join message.

edit: all good now

Mozz-eyes

Banned
My copy just arrived today.

As a new Xbox Juan owner, my friends list is looking a little... sparse.

Drop me an add at Mozzize if you fancy someone to kill easily.

Anybody having trouble bookmarking videos in theater mode?

I had 3 matches bookedmarked. They're gone now.

I'm trying to bookmark the film of the last match I played, it refuses to.

KaYotiX

Banned
Ghost seriously needs tweaking. Hard to kill and just destroys people.

It's almost game breaking in certain modes. Shouldn't take 5 clips of BR shots or multiple rockets. Terrible.

Well if MS is going for the whole e-sports angle, then yeah

Nah.

E-sports is a reflection of the market, they are not taste-makers for the market.

Short of games that are unbalanced or unwatchable to a crippled degree, esports leagues and competitions will seek out the games that are popular in the market, because they want to leverage that passion into views.

It does not work in reverse.

Catering to the needs/desires of pros has not and will not every lead to the sustained mainstream success of a videogame title.

The mass-market will not seek out the preferred titles of the esports pros.

Nah.

E-sports is a reflection of the market, they are not taste-makers for the market.

Short of games that are unbalanced or unwatchable to a crippled degree, esports leagues and competitions will seek out the games that are popular in the market, because they want to leverage that passion into views.

It does not work in reverse.

Catering to the needs/desires of pros has not and will not every lead to the sustained mainstream success of a videogame title.

The mass-market will not seek out the preferred titles of the esports pros.

I'm not talking about mainstream success. The way I see it, current Halo 5 players are mostly just a dwindling number of Halo fans.

Halo just isn't that popular anymore among the general gaming population. Halo got mlg support right now because ms paid for it. It's not going to pull LoL, CoD or CS numbers.

So because Halo's e-sport scene is tiny (comparatively speaking), the fan-favourite pros are essential for viewship. If they quit the game, their fans would leave too.

Then again I'm being overly pessimistic lol

I'm not talking about mainstream success. The way I see it, current Halo 5 players are mostly just a dwindling number of Halo fans.

Halo just isn't that popular anymore among the general gaming population. Halo got mlg support right now because ms paid for it. It's not going to pull LoL, CoD or CS numbers.

So because Halo's e-sport scene is tiny (comparatively speaking), the fan-favourite pros are essential for viewship. If they quit the game, their fans would leave too.

Then again I'm being overly pessimistic lol

Halo need not serve a decreasing niche.

Catering to the masses with an accessible product that is also high quality is more than possible.

They simply need to avoid 2 pitfalls:

1) The crowd that demands that they simply remake the same Halo game over and over and over, cause that's what they like. These are the people that would essentially prefer a high-def remake of Halo 2 every other year.

2) The crowd that demands they imitate the other major franchises on the market. These voices may also be internal, within the company. See the mess that was Halo 4 multiplayer.

Finally, whatever they choose to make, it must be quality.

Spawn AI that results in players being shot in the back within seconds of spawn is not quality.

Warzone bosses that award match-altering points based on the final shot is not quality

A complete lack of social playlists is not quality

The Halo 5 campaign is not quality

Etc.

TheXbox

LTTP here. Started up the campaign today, played through the first couple levels passing the controller around between my buddies. Looks and feels terrific, but goddamn prometheans just are not fun to fight. Pure bullet sponges. Time to rework or put them to rest. We ended playing through Halo 2 instead (in its entirety, somehow. Split screen helps!). Hope the finish up the game tomorrow, first impressions are mostly positive.

LTTP here. Started up the campaign today, played through the first couple levels passing the controller around between my buddies. Looks and feels terrific, but goddamn prometheans just are not fun to fight. Pure bullet sponges. Time to rework or put them to rest. We ended playing through Halo 2 instead (in its entirety, somehow. Split screen helps!). Hope the finish up the game tomorrow, first impressions are mostly positive.

Shoot the glowy bits.

Knights are fine.

You shoot the glowing bits on their shoulders, then it exposes a core for a quick precision kill.

The soldiers are annoying. Not so much because they're bullet sponges, but because they give almost zero feedback on hits. You could be missing, hitting armor, hitting a weak point, who the fuck knows. They don't react worth a shit until the freak out and expose their 'light' and then you can get a quick precision kill... and even THEN it's not satisfying to kill them. Very insubstantial.

343i caliber design, basically. B tier. Makes you miss fighting elites in the real Halos, no?

Doesn't seem to work super well for soldiers and knights but tbf we were playing like garbage. Either way I wish there was more to these guys than shooting the glowy bits. Crawlers are the only ones that feel really satisfying to fight.

Knights have glowy arm pits. When you destroy one, it exposes the core on their back which is another weak spot, and it gives them a chance to agro and do a thing where they pop open their face and yell at the player. When that happens, a single shot to the face (with a headshot capable weapon) when it is exposed will kill them instantly.

TheXbox

Thanks, guys. Hadn't realized they reworked the knights. I was treating them like H4 knights - spamming headshots and hoping they eventually die.

I hate how the higher ranks of Halo Slayer become:

stay on one side of the map and wait for the enemy to push you, get kills, and maintain the lead.

This is fucking boring as fuck, seriously can't stand this. Like, I could understand if you were playing at a Tournament and money was on the line, but dude it's a fucking online slayer match, who gives a fuck about your Onyx/CSR rank enough to play a fucking 15 minute slayer match.

Just played a match where the enemy team was ahead 20-15, when they stated pulling that shit, and I was the only one on my team still pushing because I just want to get this match over with. So they actually start pushing because they're bored of how the match is going, with only challenging me every 20 seconds, so they push.

Boom, we suddenly take the lead 46-44, with 15 seconds left. I tell my team "Guys we've got the lead, fuck this shit just hide and stop fighting, win by time-end."

Of course Mr. 6-15 decides to push two guys, dies, and his friend tries to back him up and dies. Making it 46-46, forcing us to go into Overtime. All because they couldn't listen to me.

At this point, the three minutes of overtime is them once again just playing out the match in the corner of the map, waiting for us to push.

Screw this type of gameplay. I just wanna run around and fucking kill people and out-aim them, not run into two guys aiming at the corner waiting for people to push.

Higher-ranked Halo is awful.

stay on one side of the map and wait for the enemy to push you, get kills, and maintain the lead.

This is fucking boring as fuck, seriously can't stand this. Like, I could understand if you were playing at a Tournament and money was on the line, but dude it's a fucking online slayer match, who gives a fuck about your Onyx/CSR rank enough to play a fucking 15 minute slayer match.

Just played a match where the enemy team was ahead 20-15, when they stated pulling that shit, and I was the only one on my team still pushing because I just want to get this match over with. So they actually start pushing because they're bored of how the match is going, with only challenging me every 20 seconds, so they push.

Boom, we suddenly take the lead 46-44, with 15 seconds left. I tell my team "Guys we've got the lead, fuck this shit just hide and stop fighting, win by time-end."

Of course Mr. 6-15 decides to push two guys, dies, and his friend tries to back him up and dies. Making it 46-46, forcing us to go into Overtime. All because they couldn't listen to me.

At this point, the three minutes of overtime is them once again just playing out the match in the corner of the map, waiting for us to push.

Screw this type of gameplay. I just wanna run around and fucking kill people and out-aim them, not run into two guys aiming at the corner waiting for people to push.

That's dat esports influence, brah.

Personally speaking, the greatest satisfaction I've had in Halo 5 thus far is seeing how far negative I can go in an arena match before the first quit.

Record so far is -15.

The messages. *Muah* So good.

Were it that Halo 5's actual gameplay provided such glee.

Nutter

That's dat esports influence, brah.

Personally speaking, the greatest satisfaction I've had in Halo 5 thus far is seeing how far negative I can go in an arena match before the first quit.

Record so far is -15.

The messages. *Muah* So good.

Were it that Halo 5's actual gameplay provided such glee.

So you are intentionally going -15 and loving it?

I will never understand that type of thinking. Regarding esports influence. Literally every game at a high level becomes a standoff at some point. Its not just Halo.

And are you not the same person who loved H5 after it came out? and now you hate it? supposedly? I mean the bipolar effect is strong in this thread, so i am not surprised.

pieface

Spawn points on the stand off map are just wrong. Get spawn killed so often. Needs to put you in the bases more out if sight.

So you are intentionally going -15 and loving it?

I will never understand that type of thinking. Regarding esports influence. Literally every game at a high level becomes a standoff at some point. Its not just Halo.

And are you not the same person who loved H5 after it came out? and now you hate it? supposedly? I mean the bipolar effect is strong in this thread, so i am not surprised.

I never said I loved it.

I love things about it. The fundamental 'feel' of the shooting and the movement are both glorious. I'll defend them all day and night.

The map design is ok. It serves the movement mechanics well, but it's both soulless and forgettable.

The spawn AI is shit.

The matchmaking is shit.

The social playlists are....oops, they don't exist. My bad.

As for my personal game of seeing how long it takes to break the try-hards, it started when I was left to die 3-on-1 multiple times in a row. I started just running straight into gunfire with my gun pointed at the ground. For extra fun, I took a power-weapon first. It was so satisfying hearing the try-hard screams... had to do it again. It became a social experiment.

Obviously, I had to throw in a few attempts to play for real here and there. A few instances of dying from being shot in the back within 3 seconds of spawning was all it took to kill that drive.

I wish I could get 8 friends together to play a night of customs. Given the fundamental gameplay I bet it would be fun. They've all moved on to Blops3 though. Can't blame them.

Speaking of which, I would looooooooooooooove to see some playlist populations. LOL. As if 343i would make such embarrassment public.

It wasn't this bad in halo 3 or atleast a push for kills wasn't. I admit I havent had the experience in halo 5 to really weigh it out. But with some of the map designs and knowing how rig and the maps work out, I can definitely get what your on about.

Trup1aya

That's right.

It's kind weird, though. Rank is supposed to be an indicator of skill, but if your MMR isn't associated with your CSR, then... the latter is kind of meaningless, isn't it? It's pure e-peen.

Which I suppose makes a certain kind of sense, considering that for a lot of people that's all it ever was. Not like you're missing out on important information either, since they don't show them pre-game. Hmm.

It's no more or less an e-peen than the old system. But it gets you playing against equal opponents much quicker. Just think of your seasonal rank as your peak skill level. While its your MMR that makes sure your matches are tight, even if your skill falls below your peak.

That's why people shouldn't instantly flip out when matched against someone in a higher division.

Doesn't seem to work super well for soldiers and knights but tbf we were playing like garbage. Either way I wish there was more to these guys than shooting the glowy bits. Crawlers are the only ones that feel really satisfying to fight.

Really? I think the soldiers and the knights are much more fun in H5, and infinitely more fun than fighting crawlers. These things are just annoying, they have no interest in self preservation and all firing homing weapons. So their only tactic is surround and overwhelm. That gets old quick, especially when you are trying to get tactical against larger enemies.

Compared to grunts, their counterpart, crawlers just don't work. They have some semblance of self preservation (except for the easily identifiable suicide grunts), and you can prioritize them based on the easily identifiable weapons they carry.

There's like 4 or 5 mini meltdowns in this thread every day it seems, shit is ridiculous. People playing too "pro", whatever the fuck that means, queue the meltdown, people not being good enough, another meltdown. It just seems to me that a few of you just can't sit back, relax, and enjoy something for what it is. I don't like everything about this game, far from it, but you guys take it to another level.

There's like 4 or 5 mini meltdowns in this thread every day it seems, shit is ridiculous. People playing too "pro", whatever the fuck that means, queue the meltdown, people not being good enough, another meltdown. It just seems to me that a few of you just can't sit back, relax, and enjoy something for what it is. I don't like everything about this game, far from it, but you guys take it to another level.
Well, he is only wrong that he wants to be good and play at this level but this is how people play when they want to win. He also wants to win so he just needs to understand the basic idea. Everyone wants to win but the game can be a little unfun when guys have a setup and an advantage with the setup. He would have to play with a group and learn to play together. That is his only issue that it seems he isn't playing together which can take time and learning in itself.

It happens with every Halo game though.

Well, he is only wrong that he wants to be good and play at this level but this is how people play when they want to win. He also wants to win so he just needs to understand the basic idea. Everyone wants to win but the game can be a little unfun when guys have a setup and an advantage with the setup. He would have to play with a group and learn to play together. That is his only issue that it seems he isn't playing together which can take time and learning in itself.

That's how Halo goes, people that know how to set up, go in as a team, communicate well and win. If you go into games expecting to take on a well set up team with 3 randoms then you have no chance at all. Solution for me is that I usually roll with 2 or 3 others I know before playing games and if I don't I know there's a risk to go in there and get my ass absolutely handed to me.

It just seems like every day this thread, there's someone getting pissed about something. Shit happens, we all get mad from time to time, we don't have to voice every concern on the forum because complaining about stuff like that, that has been in Halo since the beginning isn't going to change anything.

It happens with every Halo game though.

Of course it does, it gets a little too much at some point though. The way the posts are worded it's as if 343 went into their homes and kicked their dogs. Expletives raining down everywhere haha.

EDIT: Sorry for the two posts in a row, tried to edit your post in my last one, but I fudged it up.

It's been said a lot of times, but social playlists would help to diffuse a lot of this. I know 343 have already said they are working on this — but when they do implement it, it's important that they have the options clearly separated so people who want to play pro know where to go and people who just want to play know where to go. Quoting myself:

Competitive Ranked
Team Arena (for HCS / competitive play)
Team Slayer (includes BTB rotations)
Hyperlethal (Breakout, SWAT)

Social Unranked
Warzone (for REQs)
Objective (social, includes BTB rotations)
Rotating Specials (Oddball, Infection, Doubles, etc)
Custom Games

Cooperative
Warzone Firefight (for co-op)

This keeps the number of playlists low (9) as well as provides variety in each list. It makes it easy to understand where you want to go if you want to play pro or just have some fun for the evening, and even provides a cooperative play option. 343 can still make money on REQ pack usage here and with less players (say 8-12 on a team) they could even use larger BTB maps for Warzone Firefight. Weekend specials changed to rotating so they can last more than a weekend, and for the times when they aren't "active" — people can play them in custom games

I agree with you BraXzy, SWAT is popular but I'm just trying to keep the number of playlists down. SWAT & Breakout could probably still be their own lists but sublists of Hyper Lethal though to keep to simple for people looking at this and thinking "What do I want to play tonight?" or someone who buys on Xmas and thinks "Ok so what they hell do i do now?".
Also while a game is loading it should give tips on what you are actually supposed to be doing — I've played way too many Warzone game where it feels like my team are doing the absolute opposite of what they should be...

The UI should present the options clearly like that. Maybe pull BTB out and have a ranked and an unranked BTB, I dunno. I know it would mean matchmaking differences between 4/6/8 player games, but tbh I just see that as an opportunity to refresh the people you are playing with / against. Additional changes to deal with unpleasant behaviours:

Ranked: Friendly Fire on, better matchmaking teams / randoms
Unranked: Friendly Fire off. Stronger penalties for quitting/afk, better incentives for staying and playing.

Also for single player I would have like to see intel that automatically unlocks after you complete each mission. Not audio logs, more like Mass Effect's codex/journal entries. There is already an Intel system so they have already done part of the work. This would help get more info into the actual game without necessarily having to be gameplay.

Eg. Complete mission one and it unlocks Dossiers on the members of Osiris. Mission two, Blue team dossiers. Mission three, some info on glassed planets / non UNSC worlds / political stuff etc. And so on. The Sanghelios levels and non combat levels could give info on the arbiter, the covenant civil war, Jul M'Damas forces etc. Later levels could unlock info on forunners, the mantle, the domain, rampancy and of course the lady herself. It might not be easy to just drop it in to the game, but I feel like it would add more than it takes away. They should definitely have a system like this that has some unlocked on completion and some special Intel that is collectable if the do Intel in future games as well.

For Warzone the biggest problem with the 150 bosses and the "last bullet wins" is that you can't predict/prepare for it. You cand your team can do everything right and try to keep other team at bay while some are shooting at a distance etc and literally neither side will know wtf is up until Palmer makes the announcement. Two health bars that both teams can see is the way forward.

So basically game is unfun when your opposing team is better than you and beats you. Welcome to any competitive game ever lol.

All my friends quit CoD to play Halo breh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom