• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

I've started reading this thread solely for the meltdown posts. Some of you guys are so prolific with your rage posts I can sometimes tell who's posting without even reading the username.

Really it reminds me of myself a few years ago. I understand, Halo can be frustrating as hell, until you realize it's just a game, you're never going pro, and nobody cares about your rank or K/D except you.

If you really care that much though, offloading the blame to 343 every time you have a bad game is about the most unproductive thing you can do. H5 is as balanced and competitive a Halo game there has ever been. In other words, it's not the game, it's you.

Pretty much, the rage posting in this thread is unreal.

RobNBanks

Banned
There's too many games out there to be playing something you're not having fun with.

Can someone help me understand what is or is not allowed for the Fire Drill achievement (beat Evacuation on Heroic without dying in under 18 mins).

If I choose Start > Resume from Last Checkpoint does that make my time accumulate? Or does it restart my time elapsed to its original value at that checkpoint?

That achievement is making me pull my hair out.

I have no idea whether or no Im actually close to a 18 mins... wish they had a damn timer.

I believe it's the original value of the checkpoint, but I beat it in under 18 regardless so I'm not 100% sure. As you said, there's no timer so it's hard to tell.

What I did to get that achievement was get the Gausshog passed the section where you're supposed to get out. I also brought it on the elevator making quick work of all the Prometheans.

TrounceX

You did. Your rages were legendary. I still hear people refer to rage quits as "trouncing" to this day. GG

Hence why my post was about how I used to rage, and then I got over it. Now I view it as silly. How long is Halogaf going to hold that shit over my head? It's kind of pitiful.

I've started reading this thread solely for the meltdown posts. Some of you guys are so prolific with your rage posts I can sometimes tell who's posting without even reading the username.

Really it reminds me of myself a few years ago. I understand, Halo can be frustrating as hell, until you realize it's just a game, you're never going pro, and nobody cares about your rank or K/D except you.

If you really care that much though, offloading the blame to 343 every time you have a bad game is about the most unproductive thing you can do. H5 is as balanced and competitive a Halo game there has ever been. In other words, it's not the game, it's you.

Meltdowns kinda like this?

trounce.png

If you aint mad you aint having fun IMO.

Haines

Banned
So 343 WILL release real btb maps also right? I love that mode but these forge maps, while kind of nice designed for gameplay, just look SO bad i have a hard time playing them

I'm not sure we will know until they tell us one is coming.

I would hope so. Forge can be done by the community. They should be able to handle making some maps but part of me wonders how hard ms is pushing them to get 6 done

Leyasu

Banned
It's weird, I got added to Leyasu's fireteam earlier and it added me to a BTB game that was in progress. Not sure if it's been 100% switched off.
Yeah its weird. I've had a few jips now.

Anyway some great games today. After you left, I ended up playing 3 more lol. I am disappointed to say that 2 of them were pretty much unplayable US servers. Damn 343, I thought that that was a thing of the past?!

Homeboyd

Hence why my post was about how I used to rage, and then I got over it. Now I view it as silly. How long is Halogaf going to hold that shit over my head? It's kind of pitiful.
When will the internet forget? Never probably. Own the rage though imo. Thought it was hilarious tbh (still do). No shade bro.

TrounceX

I just wanna know did you actually toss your xbox out the window or were you just making that up?

Of course not lol. It was a joke that was meant for my XBL friends, kind of like an inside joke. Unfortunately I had some HaloGAF on my list and they took this and made me internet famous. I aint even mad, it's amazing.

I'm too lazy to go back that far in my games, but I'm sure you could find me playing immediately after that message was sent. I then posted a picture of a broken Reach disk, but that was because my Xbox ate the disk and it didn't work anymore, so I trolled you guys. Good times.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Here is my stupid, "why am I even bothered by this" nitpick. Am I alone in hating that the load screen icon, in the lower left switches from a dual rotating circle thingy to an entirely different looking rotating circle thing when a match Ioads? Total fucking amatures hour work here. So janky. 343 please.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Of course not lol. It was a joke that was meant for my XBL friends, kind of like an inside joke. Unfortunately I had some HaloGAF on my list and they took this and made me internet famous. I aint even mad, it's amazing.

I'm too lazy to go back that far in my games, but I'm sure you could find me playing immediately after that message was sent. I then posted a picture of a broken Reach disk, but that was because my Xbox ate the disk and it didn't work anymore, so I trolled you guys. Good times.

Can I just keep on pretending it was true please?

same thing happened to me on Deadlock. They had our flag and I had theirs and I was sitting in the stair well. Guy starts ARing me in the back.

Why does Halo still have friendly fire?

Stopped playing flag games because of that or I just let a teammate get the flag. I seen it so often in Halo 4 I don't know why 343 just decease or get rid of FF for the objective holder .

Is this how you play counter strike? I don't think anyone is going to run around and push constantly in a competitive setting. I don't disagree that passive gameplay is boring as all hell, but if you want to run around the whole game you shouldn't play Arena. Halo has been like that since Halo 2 thanks to the slower kill times, health removal and flatter map design.

Also, Radar. Most of these maps are awful with Radar.

Counter-Strike is different, and while passive plays are a possible play style, you can easily counter it by a simple Flashbang, Smoke grenade, or exploiting their weakness. Usually passive plays mean they have decided to give up Map Control in favor or holding sites, which is a huge advantage if you play that correctly.

Even then, yes, the easiest way to beat me in Counter-Strike is playing passively when you're on the Terrorist (offensive) side. That's boring to me as well and frustrates me to no end when teams delay each round and wait for the entire 2 minutes to be up before making their move. That's horribly boring and usually just leads me to playing super aggressive on the Defensive side, which usually doesn't end well for me.

However, the difference is Counter-Strike is all about either taking a site and planting, or killing the enemy team. Passive plays are to be expected, because playing passively on offense/defense is just as correct as playing aggressive, and because the game is round based, you get many opportunity to find a way to counter it, or find a way to beat them at their strats.

In Halo, I wouldn't really say playing passive is the correct way to play the game, even more so when you consider the average CS match is about an hour, and slayer should only go for about 8 minutes. You don't get many opportunities to find a way to counter/beat the playstyle once it happens, and generally it's just boring to play against, which is why I hate it. :p

EDIT: and like I said, I understand why people play like that, and I would play like that as well if I was in a LAN event with thousands on the line, I would try my hardest to win and take every advantage I can. But I simply can not be damned enough to care about my CSR either increasing or decreasing by 20 points, enough to play a 15 minutes Slayer match against a team of 4 playing so passive, because I know there's no hope of my team of 4 randoms matching their coordination. I'd rather end the game as fast as possible, and in the time that 15 minute slayer match took, queue up for 2 more slayer matches and win those and get my CSR back.

Fuchsdh

Here is my stupid, "why am I even bothered by this" nitpick. Am I alone in hating that the load screen icon, in the lower left switches from a dual rotating circle thingy to an entirely different looking rotating circle thing when a match Ioads? Total fucking amatures hour work here. So janky. 343 please.

I've also seen both appear at the same time, too, leading to this weird misaligned double loading thing.

BraXzy

I hate opening a youtube vid with a really impressive title, and then you watch and it turns out they're just playing bronzes.. Isn't fun to watch QQ

Caja 117

To me it looks like a resolution change from whatever the menu resolution is to the MP resolution.

BraXzy

Haha that was one of the first things I spotted when I first jumped into multi. It's not the end of the world, but it really irritates me for some reason xD

I have a feeling each one indicates something else, like one is a successful connection to server and one is the map has loaded, for debugging? Idk.

Welfare

Yeah, I noticed it after the patch. Very jarring.

Montresor

There's too many games out there to be playing something you're not having fun with.

I believe it's the original value of the checkpoint, but I beat it in under 18 regardless so I'm not 100% sure. As you said, there's no timer so it's hard to tell.

What I did to get that achievement was get the Gausshog passed the section where you're supposed to get out. I also brought it on the elevator making quick work of all the Prometheans.

I think "restart checkpoint" makes your time accumulate every time you use it.... I loaded one of my saved checkpoints (from the elevator portion) but this time I made sure to not use restart checkpoint. .. if I messed up I instead quit out and loaded the checkpoint. Finally got the achievement to pop that way.

Nowise10

To me it looks like a resolution change from whatever the menu resolution is to the MP resolution.

..It is definitely not that. The first one is big, and has like 4 total frames, and is pix-elated. 2nd one is small, and smooth, and not pixelated.

Oh, and they are two different icons

This a great post... We've all been guilty at some point, but some people go way too far.
I'm not near as competitive as I once was and it feels great, I bet I looked like a real dick in the halo 2 days.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
..It is definitely not that. The first one is big, and has like 4 total frames, and is pix-elated. 2nd one is small, and smooth, and not pixelated.

Oh, and they are two different icons

So rage inducingly jarring! I can't play until its fixed

Velcoro

Some of the textures of certain maps are bad I don't mind it though it looks fine to me. 60fps has been wonderful.

Finally unlocked all Common's in Bronze packs. Opening silver packs now.

Septic360

Banned
Finally completed the campaign. What a massive disappointment. Definitely the worst campaign in the series. Oh how badly it falters.. Surely they must have known it would have been received poorly?? I don't get it...

Demise

So what's the opinion about slayer maps ?

I don't know why but i fear playing on thruth. I know the map well but i don't like playing on it and can't put my finger on the reasons.

Probably my best sequence in any multiplayer game. Is this what it feels like to play like a good player? :eek:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/jet1911/video/12863808
Good stuff! Your assassination is badass too hahah
Bungie never
lol
Being serious here: not an exaggeration: seriously no hyperbole: objectively speaking, I personally never felt like I saw texture pop-ins or bad graphics in Halo until 343 started doing it.
I bought my first HDTV when Halo 3 released and for the life of me I couldn't understand why there were so many jaggies on what I thought should have been an amazing first-time Halo HD experience, but soon after I realized it wasn't my TV settings that needed adjusting, it was just how the game looked.

That was Halo 3, and when Halo 2 released I was like "What game is this and what happened to all my beautiful colors and lush environments? Bungie whyyyy....."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom