• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

EBLspartan

Neo Member
I really like this update, it's awesome.

But i cannot enjoy it fully simply because i cannot find a single game in some playlists.
I searched for a slayer game all day but i found only 2 of them in expanded mode (the rest of the time i tried with every option possible).

343 is doing a great job on contents side, but the game still lacks the most important features like Server Selection, Players Counters and an infrastructure that provileges fast and reliable games over everything: in games like Titanfall 2 i can choose my server, search in a playlists knowing the players count in advance and the system is able to build a match in less than a minute even if players count is very low (30-50 people total).

Playing with H5 and having to wait every time 10-20 mins in order to enjoy my favourite playlist can only make me, and people experiencing the same, want to quit this game for good despite all the fabolous contents 343 is capable to build.

I really wish a solid and reliable matchmaking system "ala Titanfall 2" can happen also in Halo someday .

link1201

So i can't buy the voice pack from EU:(
Can someone please buy $10 MS store gift card? Tried few times and i get an error....
I will sent $10 through paypal first.
Not sure if this is the issue but they said eu may not be available until next week on twitter.

@xXFredi100Xx Voices of War is slightly deleted for non-English territories (as defined by platform). I think it's next week but will verify

Theorry

But i cannot enjoy it fully simply because i cannot find a single game in some playlists.
I searched for a slayer game all day but i found only 2 of them in expanded mode (the rest of the time i tried with every option possible).

343 is doing a great job on contents side, but the game still lacks the most important features like Server Selection, Players Counters and an infrastructure that provileges fast and reliable games over everything: in games like Titanfall 2 i can choose my server, search in a playlists knowing the players count in advance and the system is able to build a match in less than a minute even if players count is very low (30-50 people total).

Playing with H5 and having to wait every time 10-20 mins in order to enjoy my favourite playlist can only make me, and people experiencing the same, want to quit this game for good despite all the fabolous contents 343 is capable to build.

I really wish a solid and reliable matchmaking system "ala Titanfall 2" can happen also in Halo someday .

Where are you located then?

Gwyn

Not sure if this is the issue but they said eu may not be available until next week on twitter.

@xXFredi100Xx Voices of War is slightly delayed for non-English territories (as defined by platform). I think it's next week but will verify

The thing is i can't wait :p + it's weekend so i ll have more time to play.

Thanks anyway.

Location and NAT status seem to be the key factors here.

I wish we had a population counter for each playlist. i liked how tf2 showed it for me.

but i know others will hound it as shame and make articles that halo is dad because grifball has 300 people playing 'right now'. lol

Akai__

Try to be European and join an USA Custom Game Lobby. The server delay is unbelievable...

They should display ping times in the CGB.

Wasn't everyone saying NAT was going to be a thing of the past with the XB1 and newest generation? Le sigh...

NAT would definitely be, if we finally moved to IPv6.

EBLspartan

Neo Member
What is so good about their mm system? I haven't played it yet.

Server selection (the lowest ping is near to 30ms), fastest matchmaking system i've ever known even with a few players in a playlists, player counters in every playlist.

They are a few but crucial things to me, and i suspect that H5 cannot be like that for one simple reason: the current ranking system that with its filters in searching games would interfere with a system completely based on connection quality where if there are players available, even 3 or 4, then the game will take them into the match without any other filters.

I was a real and passionate ranks supporter, but now after all of this if i'll have to choose between actually play the game in a flaweless way without asking myself "i will be able to find a game in slayer or FFA today?" every time and ranks well, i'll choose the first without any doubt.

No. Need IPv6 to be adopted by the entire internet to get rid of NAT.

Not sure if you can answer this:

Does making your Xbox IP address IPv6 completely get rid of NAT or is it still assigned? My Xbox always fluctuates between Open-Moderate and I can't seem to get it to stay to Open. I've forwarded all the possible ports, saved my Xbox MAC address in my router settings, and use a wired connection. I have also tried using my ISP given DNS addresses as well as Google's public DNS.

EBLspartan

Neo Member
Location and NAT status seem to be the key factors here.

It's not my case, my nat is always OPEN and i never have issues with other games.

To me all these problems are clearly due not only to issues, broken code etc. but to CHOICES developers made building H5 matchmaking system: they based it completely on ranks without taking into account the population factor, strictly connected to connection quality, as you said.
A system like that has to guarantee fair matches on rank side above all, connection quality and search times are not the priority.

Unfortunately a system like that can survive only with an high population count.

Titanfall 2 instead it's the complete opposite: there are no ranks and only server choice can restrict your actual range; all players inside that range, even if a few dozens, are considered valid resources to be put into a match without any other complication.
Because of this on TF2 you will have always good and reliable connection games in a couple of minutes even with 50 players TOTAL on the chosen server in the chosen game mode.

It's a matter of opinion here, but i prefer a system that allows me to play the game with good connection and search times instead of one that locks me out because of ranks and who knows what other things.

EBLspartan

Neo Member
I wish we had a population counter for each playlist. i liked how tf2 showed it for me.

but i know others will hound it as shame and make articles that halo is dad because grifball has 300 people playing 'right now'. lol

I'd rather that instead of this lack of transparency.

Look at Titanfall 2: it has been released with an awful timing by its own publisher, it has a population far lower than what it deserves but still it's system is rock solid.
No lag, no awful hit registrations, not excessive delay, no infinite waiting times.

If H5 had the same population on release it would be considered just like MCC right now for how is hard to find a game.

FyreWulff

Not sure if you can answer this:

Does making your Xbox IP address IPv6 completely get rid of NAT or is it still assigned? My Xbox always fluctuates between Open-Moderate and I can't seem to get it to stay to Open. I've forwarded all the possible ports, saved my Xbox MAC address in my router settings, and use a wired connection. I have also tried using my ISP given DNS addresses as well as Google's public DNS.

Unfortunately it's not possible to be IPv6 through the whole chain right now. All of your hardware needs to support it, and also your ISP, but also everyone else playing the game with you.

http://ipv6-test.com/

Haruko

I'd buy a videogamedunkey voice pack.

"Dunder kill!"
"Double-decker dunder!"
"What the bitch!?"
"adsopakadakadaasd"

"I did it!" every time you get a kill after a teammate does all the work taking down their shields

"I need this!" every time you grab a power up/power weapon

"Nice try guy"/"Not even close baby" every Close Call

calling every flying vehicle a Pelican ("EEAAAHHHH!")

link1201

Server selection (the lowest ping is near to 30ms), fastest matchmaking system i've ever known even with a few players in a playlists, player counters in every playlist.

They are a few but crucial things to me, and i suspect that H5 cannot be like that for one simple reason: the current ranking system that with its filters in searching games would interfere with a system completely based on connection quality where if there are players available, even 3 or 4, then the game will take them into the match without any other filters.

I was a real and passionate ranks supporter, but now after all of this if i'll have to choose between actually play the game in a flaweless way without asking myself "i will be able to find a game in slayer or FFA today?" every time and ranks well, i'll choose the first without any doubt.
Hmm, yeah I can see how there'd have to be trade offs.

Karl2177

I feel like framerates across the board went down. I finally got my maps optimized for 8v8 with only one area of hitching and now the whole map is janky.

All this talk of titanfall 2 having good connections...

Maybe if you're playing solo so it only searches your assigned region (30ms to server sounds nice. Wonder what that's like). Playing with a lobby of people in different regions, but all US, is fucking terrible. Regularly 200ms ping in game. Laggy players galore. Inconsistent hit markers. Death through walls.

This is all assuming it doesn't split us up and put us in separate games or only one person is put in a game while the other continues sitting in a lobby because of how strongly the game matches solo. This same shitty lagfest happened in the first game too.

Halo, on the other hand, is still at least playable at any hour. Both games have big issues with matching against full parties though, as we were reminded again last night.

Glass

CzQSp_WUQAA14sv.jpg

Dont think this is a repost, latest HCS team skin.

Like them alot. Pretty sure the AR is positioned badly on REQ cards so you never see the large graphic on the stock, it looks pretty plain till you realise the horses head goes there.

EBLspartan

Neo Member
All this talk of titanfall 2 having good connections...

Maybe if you're playing solo so it only searches your assigned region (30ms to server sounds nice. Wonder what that's like). Playing with a lobby of people in different regions, but all US, is fucking terrible. Regularly 200ms ping in game. Laggy players galore. Inconsistent hit markers. Death through walls.

This is all assuming it doesn't split us up and put us in separate games or only one person is put in a game while the other continues sitting in a lobby because of how strongly the game matches solo. This same shitty lagfest happened in the first game too.

Halo, on the other hand, is still at least playable at any hour. Both games have big issues with matching against full parties though, as we were reminded again last night.

Yeah, solo search in nearest server of course.

I find pretty normal the situation you described, every US server pings at least 150ms from here.

For the last part, halo playlable at any hour, i strongly disagree: outside peak hours i find very difficult to find games even in playlists that are supposed to be the most popular ones (ranked slayer).

On titanfall at least if there are 30 players in any playlists i can play it finding a game within a minute, on halo instead i have to wait 10/20 minute for a match if i manage to find it (otherwise i directly quit the game) like there are 0 players available (and i think here is ranking filter fault).

Yeah, solo search in nearest server of course.

I find pretty normal the situation you described, every US server pings at least 150ms from here.

For the last part, halo playlable at any hour, i strongly disagree: outside peak hours i find very difficult to find games even in playlists that are supposed to be the most popular ones (ranked slayer).

On titanfall at least if there are 30 players in any playlists i can play it finding a game within a minute, on halo instead i have to wait 10/20 minute for a match if i manage to find it (otherwise i directly quit the game) like there are 0 players available (and i think here is ranking filter fault).

The difference is I live in the US, in New Mexico. *Any* continental server with that kind of ping is ridiculous, and it's literally every game. I get a 45/50ms ping to the SLC server and at worst like 80ms to the east coast, but somehow every match I play with American friends is in the 200ms range? Their matchmaking algorithm is a joke and doesn't prioritize region or connection, let alone levels or xp/time played or party size. My point was that even on off peak hours for the US (your daytime), Halo still finds matches for me, as does most any other game. TF is just bizarre, which is a shame, because when it does work, it's pretty fun.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
CzQSp_WUQAA14sv.jpg

Dont think this is a repost, latest HCS team skin.

Like them alot. Pretty sure the AR is positioned badly on REQ cards so you never see the large graphic on the stock, it looks pretty plain till you realise the horses head goes there.

best yet (i may be biased). hard to tell, but the AR does have the logo on the stock and looks sharp. will this launch this weekend or will we have to wait for worlds?

Since when can you adjust the rotation of your spartan's stance? That is pretty cool.

you can also zoom out when changing armor. (been there since i can remember with rotation too)

i thought it was new. i certainly dont remember it saving your position like it does now. nice touch

Oh, it saves your rotation position now? well that must be new then. i dont remember that ever saving when in post-lobby.

prepare for lot of back shots!

Fuchsdh

Oh, it saves your rotation position now? well that must be new then. i dont remember that ever saving when in post-lobby.

prepare for lot of back shots!

It might not save it unless you're actually changing your stance in the menu. Not quite sure (only noticed it myself a month or two ago.)

jem0208

I need to gift mine, even if you don't have yours I can still gift it to you if you need it.

GT: SwathingLeopard

I've still got mine, GT: iL meanbean Li

Edit: Sent you my pack :)

Ooh, top of the page. Here's a couple of overkill exterms I got in a game a few minutes ago:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/24413869

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il MeanBean lI/video/24413887

Dunno why one of the players is yellow in that second clip, theatre being weird I guess.

Top Bottom