• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Defect

My friend and I crashed a clan lobby of 12 year olds while they were "training" and we killed them all.

"Who let these people in?!"

Felt like Arby n the Chief. Now I need to find a Halo wedding.

Novocaine

Did a few Firefights and I forgot how smooth this game is. Got to get used to the button layout again though, kept trying to play it like Gears.

jem0208

Yes and its terrible. Match starts with like 10 hills on the map for some reason and then slowly looses the amount of hills. You spend most of the match just sitting in a hill with no one around. And the fact their is no sound effects makes it feel so barebones.
That’s diminishing king.

There is a standard king mode which is quite fun. It’s on a Lego version of the pit.

Don't think I'll ever enjoy Truth. Didn't like Midship, didn't like Heretic, don't like Truth. I enjoyed Zealot, but that was a totally different kind of map.

I absolutely adore Regret, though. Guess that just goes to show how poor my taste in maps is.

UKUMI0

That’s diminishing king.

There is a standard king mode which is quite fun. It’s on a Lego version of the pit.

Diminishing King can be quite fun if you have a team who knows what they're doing, most of the time I see teammates just walk in and out of the hills which doesn't capture them.

Don't think I'll ever enjoy Truth. Didn't like Midship, didn't like Heretic, don't like Truth. I enjoyed Zealot, but that was a totally different kind of map.

I absolutely adore Regret, though. Guess that just goes to show how poor my taste in maps is.

Don't worry, you're not alone; I hate Truth too.

I feel like Tyrant is underrated. Never understood why everyone disliked that map.

No room to breathe, cluttered sightlines, mid is clotted, bottom is the only decent sniping lane, and top is a clusterfuck.

What? Eden is fantastic.

Rockets are unbelievably frustrating to deal with on that map. I prefer Empire; the elevation in mid changes up the map dynamic significantly. The improved sightlines the map's more vertical structure allows for results in a much better flowing map than Eden.

jem0208

shotgun, camo, sniper, rockets, and hydra ruin it.

It's ugly as sin too.

Plaza is also garbage
How exactly?

Eden Strongholds is one of the best gametypes in the game.

Also I wouldn’t call it ugly, just plain.

And Plaza is really good too.
Tight quarters, cluttered sightlines, mid is clotted, bottom is the only decent sniping lane, and top is a clusterfuck.

Rockets are unbelievably frustrating to deal with on that map. I prefer Empire; the elevation in mid changes up the map dynamic significantly.
Pretty much every complaint you have about Tyrant could be applied to Empire.

Eden is absolutely superior to Empire. Empire is an absolute clusterfuck on Strongholds with the main strategy basically being charge bottom mid with your AR out. Then whenever they start capping your base you run out and cap theirs. Eden is a really interesting mix of setups and rotations. Whether or not to defend a point or push round and capture their undefended one creates a really interesting strategic dynamic.

I’ve also never had a problem with rockets.

I'd rather play backwash than play those maps lol

I prefer Empire, but I do agree that Eden is more interesting. If there weren't so many power weapons on maps and radar I think I'd be okay with them.

jem0208

I'd rather play backwash than play those maps lol

Seriously?

You sure it's not more because of a dislike of Halo 5's gameplay than the map design? Eden and Plaza are both generally regarded as good maps (even by the hyper critical competitive community). I'd say they're almost objectively superior to something like Backwash.

Seriously?

You sure it's not more because of a dislike of Halo 5's gameplay than the map design? Eden and Plaza are both generally regarded as good maps (even by the hyper critical competitive community). I'd say they're almost objectively superior to something like Backwash.

Yeah I'm serious. I'm sure sure my general dislike for how SA's impact map traversal influence my opinion. Like, it's super fun having a crap ton of routes and options to escape and ambush, but it's fatiguing when players are doing it to you. When you add radar it really makes those elements worse.

I prefer more restrive map design in Halo 5, because combat is more erratic and unpredictable as it is compared to previous Halo's.

So yeah, I'd rather play a Backwash in Halo 5 lol

TCKaos

"Coming Later in 2017"
fARfYMm.jpg
Creds to Bivi

FyreWulff

Heh, I like how Pilot is specifically messed up in the way they had it be the Haunted helmet in Reach.

I should go back to Reach and finally get that.

but really, that's more a result that WIP assets aren't removed from builds anymore these days. It's a waste of time and requires too much build lag between Prod and Test.

Wish Halo would return to that more simple and clean aesthetic. That armor looks great, instead of all the over designed frilly nonsense we have on most of the weapons and armor.

The armor worn by Spartans now is a modular platform, instead of a single suit you'll wear for the entirety of your career. Bits and pieces of armor are replaced as needed after operations, whether because a more situation-appropriate permutation exists, or because damage was incurred on the armor itself. There's an in-story basis for the cleaner look to MJOLNIR Gen-2.

Pretty much every complaint you have about Tyrant could be applied to Empire.

And that's why I should be looking up the Halo Wiki to confirm which is which, because my issues with Eden are actually my issues with Empire, and vice-versa. Eden is the superior of the two. Herp derp.

Akai__

Hmm still shouldnt ben a big problem then. You will probably connect to North Europe. Netherlands and Germany. Wich would be arround 60 ping.
There are Azure servers coming to central France and southern France tho. So that should help.

Doesn't mean that 343i will actually use those servers, though. They are not even using the 2 Germany ones that were added a few months ago.

And lol at it not being a problem. I joined a CGB game yesterday and the delay was beyond crazy. When I asked the guy where he is from, he said US West Coast. I ping to those in the 170ms range. "Only" 45ms more than what 343i thinks is acceptable ("95% of all matches are taking place on 125ms or better").

"Coming Later in 2017"

Creds to Bivi

Here is even a video showing them all.

Wish Halo would return to that more simple and clean aesthetic. That armor looks great, instead of all the over designed frilly nonsense we have on most of the weapons and armor.

Agreed. Like I said, there are only a handful of new designs, that I really like from 343i or whatever other studio worked on them. Don't get why everything has to be busy. Even maps are filled with busy assets.

Glass

"Coming Later in 2017"

Creds to Bivi

I get his 'Coming Later in 2017' sass, but if 343 reveal these are unlocked via challenges as opposed to REQ points then his point is moot, since its probably the challenges that are being worked on. Plus it's not like we didn't just get enough content to keep us going.

Plus people have been asking for these kind of unlocks. Legendary rarity doesnt really mean much in the REQ system. It'll be great getting the Mark V knowing not everyone with all unlocks got it on the same day.

A challenge a good few tiers below the Achilles helm time would be fine.

It looks great though. Strong readable shapes > needless over complication.

Fuchsdh

I mean, that's the much-derided MkV Alpha he's wearing. There's plenty of cleaner sets in H5.

Karl2177

Heh, I like how Pilot is specifically messed up in the way they had it be the Haunted helmet in Reach.

I should go back to Reach and finally get that.

but really, that's more a result that WIP assets aren't removed from builds anymore these days. It's a waste of time and requires too much build lag between Prod and Test.
That's because the default pilot helmet looks like a balding man.

klaus

Doesn't mean that 343i will actually use those servers, though. They are not even using the 2 Germany ones that were added a few months ago.

And lol at it not being a problem. I joined a CGB game yesterday and the delay was beyond crazy. When I asked the guy where he is from, he said US West Coast. I ping to those in the 170ms range. "Only" 45ms more than what 343i thinks is acceptable ("95% of all matches are taking place on 125ms or better").
I really really hope 343 will implement two things in H6:
1) Server selection (with ping display!)
2) No more matching with teams when playing alone

The rest I really don't care, graphics are fine, gameplay is great, plenty of maps & modes are available and forge is awesome. So I'm totally fine if they keep the game completely unchanged, as long as they make sure that people won't have to cope with unacceptable disadvantages for not living in the U.S. and/or not playing in a team.

Detective

Limiting WZ fire team to 6 players has Its advantages and disadvantages. For me it worked out well. I dont mind playing against 6 players alone in WZ. I met several teams yesterday,which used to farm people when they were 12, now they are cut in half.

Literally destroyed them. 4 matches and they didn't stand a chance.

You ain't so tough without your buddies huh :D

Great update 343.

Servers needs more tweaking though.

Also I would love to have Noble 6 armor. The real one. Please Frankie make it happen with MC Halo 5 armor.

klaus

Limiting WZ fire team to 6 players has Its advantages and disadvantages. For me it worked out well. I dont mind playing against 6 players alone in WZ. I met several teams yesterday,which used to farm people when they were 12, now they are cut in half.

Great update 343.

Servers needs more tweaking though.

Also I would love to have Noble 6 armor. The real one. Please Frankie make it happen with MC Halo 5 armor.
Guess I should give WZ another chance - tried it last night and had a really bad experience (tons of lag and being farmed by the other team), perhaps (hopefully) I just got unlucky..

PS: This update (and the general support over the last year) is nothing short of great, it's just unfortunate that the underlying architecture / mm system is holding the game back.

Fuchsdh

Haven't played enough to have a firm opinion, but yeah I think it seems like it was the best option available. Another six randoms or another team are all you need to throw the usual campaign and spawn-trapping strats into disarray.

Bossniak

Mouse on Forge PC still feels like a emulated xbox controller without the aim assist. Feels terrible and impossible to get perfect kills..while users with controllers are getting perfect left and right

Next patch in 3 months?

Detective

Guess I should give WZ another chance - tried it last night and had a really bad experience (tons of lag and being farmed by the other team), perhaps (hopefully) I just got unlucky..

PS: This update (and the general support over the last year) is nothing short of great, it's just unfortunate that the underlying architecture / mm system is holding the game back.
Give it more try bro. Maybe you've met me yesterday ;P

There are still lags and latency in some matches though.

Haven't played enough to have a firm opinion, but yeah I think it seems like it was the best option available. Another six randoms or another team are all you need to throw the usual campaign and spawn-trapping strats into disarray.

Yup, it was great decision. I only wish it was there long time ago.

Here is even a video showing them all.

Agreed. Like I said, there are only a handful of new designs, that I really like from 343i or whatever other studio worked on them. Don't get why everything has to be busy. Even maps are filled with busy assets.

I'm really happy these simpler helmets are coming, but I'm not convinced this will be the norm for the next game. Knowing how crazy game dev is, armor design will probably be outsourced again ;_;

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
HCS predictions?

1. NV
2. Optic
3. Liquid
4. Str8

E6 gets relegated, 3sup in. (Probably wishful thinking)

IHaveIce

Banned
All this talk of titanfall 2 having good connections...

Maybe if you're playing solo so it only searches your assigned region (30ms to server sounds nice. Wonder what that's like). Playing with a lobby of people in different regions, but all US, is fucking terrible. Regularly 200ms ping in game. Laggy players galore. Inconsistent hit markers. Death through walls.

This is all assuming it doesn't split us up and put us in separate games or only one person is put in a game while the other continues sitting in a lobby because of how strongly the game matches solo. This same shitty lagfest happened in the first game too.

Halo, on the other hand, is still at least playable at any hour. Both games have big issues with matching against full parties though, as we were reminded again last night.

I'm always surprised how your experience differs so much from almost all that I've heard before and experienced myself, first the Elite controller and now this.

I played TF in groups of different countries and even played on the US server as a german and hadn't the laggy shit show that is/was Halo 5 the last months, though it could be a regional thing that you live near a microsoft database and I'm in germany.

Fuchsdh

A real missed opportunity with the REQ system.

I think 343/MS are probably surprised the REQ system worked out as well as it did. They clearly didn't originally design it to scale the way it did, which is part of the reason organization is a mess. Not sure at this late stage they'd significantly rehaul it but I hope for Halo 6 we get the return of challenges and a better organizational system for REQs.

HCS predictions?

1. NV
2. Optic
3. Liquid
4. Str8

E6 gets relegated, 3sup in. (Probably wishful thinking)

Switch Optic and NV and that's my prediction. As much as I want Optic to lose, there's no way those guys will lose on LAN. The difference in skill is staggering

I think 343/MS are probably surprised the REQ system worked out as well as it did. They clearly didn't originally design it to scale the way it did, which is part of the reason organization is a mess. Not sure at this late stage they'd significantly rehaul it but I hope for Halo 6 we get the return of challenges and a better organizational system for REQs.

I hope they don't saturate it with crap items, such as having the same armor with different white lines. Focus on quality instead.

Fuchsdh

I hope they don't saturate it with crap items, such as having the same armor with different white lines. Focus on quality instead.

I like the different armor paint schemes. The problem is that they aren't collapsed into the same armor design which means an even longer REQ list that's hard to skim. Should have alphabetical and rarity sorting at the least.

I like the different armor paint schemes. The problem is that they aren't collapsed into the same armor design which means an even longer REQ list that's hard to skim. Should have alphabetical and rarity sorting at the least.

You can hardly actually see the paint schemes in game though, they are jagged lines that are washed out at medium distance.

Top Bottom