• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Came back to H5 last might after a few months of playing The Division. I wanted to finally try Warzone Firefight and I rally enjoyed it.

It is well balanced and, after reading the comments when it got out, I found it easier than expected. But you will loose if you don't concentrate to the task. Anyways, I like the mode a lot and it's good mindless gaming.

343 really nailed the gunplay with Halo 5.

I also found that the reqs are more generous than before.

All and all, good stuff!

The Brute Sniper was successfully loaded, but it's a Prototype DMR with a new Scope:

I reallllly hope these Brute weapons are coming.

Though it would be funny if they were doing some early Halo 6 prototyping on the fly in Halo 5 mp, and this is a peak into that. It would kinda make more sense, as the huge assortment of Brute weaponry without Brute AI to fight would be bizarre. All these Brute weapon types practically divide them to their own class: UNSC, Forerunner, Covenant, and Brute.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, I do agree that it fits the bill.. also, with Mercy being such a pretty map I've wondered if it was planned for Halo Wars 2 prior to the delay.

But do you think they'll add Brutes to Warzone?
Would be cool to add them to warzone, make the game release an Event for all Halo games

Chittagong

Gold Member
Have we discussed Whitecell MM yet? Got it recently on Slayer. Pretty fun, but ugly af.

Also, seems Pegassus is back, but I swear the reds and blues are brighter?

Trup1aya

I wonder when 343 will add more gametypes for the core arena experience. I'm getting sick of Slayer, Flag, and Strongholds

I'm curious as to how they'd roll out new gametypes if we ever get them.

I strongly disagree with there decision to tie Team Arena to HCS, because it means we can't see certain maps and modes until they are approved for the Pro League. I actually like playing Assualt despite it lacking competitive integrity. We won't be able play Strongholds on Mercy since it hasn't been approved for proleague. If they every did add favorites like odd ball, juggernaught, VIP, Koth, etc... I fear they'd suffer the same fate.

Halo 5: Guardians 2017 post launch support dream/theory

January Halo Wars 2 expansion with Brutes coming to Warzone with new weapons, maps, REQs etc all inspired by the vanished and Halo Wars 2, remember folks the Grunt mech is 100% canon of the story after Halo 5 so this makes sense

September Halo 3 Anniversary gets released with the full Halo 3 campaign remastered for Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, Blur cinematics and the multiplayer will be all the Halo 3 maps remade for Halo 5 something like Halo CEA, also including with the H3A release 343 launches Halo MCC 2.0 for PC and XBO all of this free for MCC owners

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder when 343 will add more gametypes for the core arena experience. I'm getting sick of Slayer, Flag, and Strongholds

I haven't even got past slayer yet, it's too good... Plus, objective games are a mess with randoms, everyone juat goes for the KD

FyreWulff

January Halo Wars 2 expansion with Brutes coming to Warzone with new weapons, maps, REQs etc all inspired by the vanished and Halo Wars 2, remember folks the Grunt mech is 100% canon of the story after Halo 5 so this makes sense

September Halo 3 Anniversary gets released with the full Halo 3 campaign remastered for Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, Blur cinematics and the multiplayer will be all the Halo 3 maps remade for Halo 5 something like Halo CEA, the H3A release launches with Halo MCC 2.0 for PC and XBO all of this free for MCC owners

you gotta shoot for the stars

every Halo 3 map redone plus the Halo 3 Beta on it's maps as an option for customs

Chittagong

Gold Member
I got Whitecell MM again. Holy shit it is indeed ugly. The whole map seems to be made of about six polygons and three 64x64 texture maps

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Temple completely favors the defenders, right? It's not just me is it?

op_ivy

Nope, it's enormously in favor of the defending team. Map is absolute garbage. Gorgeous garbage, but garbage nonetheless.

Actually won the 2nd match. Surprisingly destroyed the 1st rnd, cleaned up the 2nd with not much more work, then narrowly passed the 3rd with 20 sec left. Even totally outgunned and outplayef the defenders nearly won. How does this pass testing!?

Nope, it's enormously in favor of the defending team. Map is absolute garbage.

Idk if garbage is the right word. its a decent map and the areas are kinda fun. if the giant rock wasn't there to give the offenders an fast way to get into the base. other than that i don't mind it but defenders have a clear advantage and it is really a uphill battle for offenders.

the middle base is some of the most fun because how close waters it is and how if you go in there with a shotgun, energy sword or scattershot you can do work. that base I don't have a problem with because it requires you to cover the entrances for you to capture it.

just that first base is rough.

op_ivy

Idk if garbage is the right word. its a decent map and the areas are kinda fun. if the giant rock wasn't there to give the offenders an fast way to get into the base. other than that i don't mind it but defenders have a clear advantage and it is really a uphill battle for offenders.

the middle base is some of the most fun because how close waters it is and how if you go in there with a shotgun, energy sword or scattershot you can do work. that base I don't have a problem with because it requires you to cover the entrances for you to capture it.

I think each rd is progressively more stacked against you

Defect

So did anyone do a test to see if aiming is the same with controller on both console and pc?

I swear I have crazy good aim on pc whereas on console I whirlwind like crazy.

op_ivy

So did anyone do a test to see if aiming is the same with controller on both console and pc?

I swear I have crazy good aim on pc whereas on console I whirlwind like crazy.

Halo pro snakebite has mentioned that pc with pad is far superior

Sanjuro

Have we discussed Whitecell MM yet? Got it recently on Slayer. Pretty fun, but ugly af.

Also, seems Pegassus is back, but I swear the reds and blues are brighter?

Is Pegassus the other forge looking map? Played that for the first time the other day. THe only map I've played so far where the spawns were in direct gunfights.

Nowise10

Nope, it's enormously in favor of the defending team. Map is absolute garbage. Gorgeous garbage, but garbage nonetheless.

I just played on the Attacking side for the first time and my conclusion is you are bad. Map feels good on both sides. They actually changed the bases on this map to play differently, specially the 2nd base being the temple. Much more fun the the other maps.

JPZD89G.png

Akai__

I reallllly hope these Brute weapons are coming.

Though it would be funny if they were doing some early Halo 6 prototyping on the fly in Halo 5 mp, and this is a peak into that. It would kinda make more sense, as the huge assortment of Brute weaponry without Brute AI to fight would be bizarre. All these Brute weapon types practically divide them to their own class: UNSC, Forerunner, Covenant, and Brute.

They brought us the Gravity Hammer and the Brute Plasma Rifle
(quite interesting that it was the Brute variant now that we know this, isn't it?)
, so far. They don't neccessarily need Brute AI for Warzone, although A LOT people would probably love that. Adding Brutes will certainly be a complex task for 343i, if they ever decide to add them, since they never had them in their games.

I'm a little scared of how 343i's Brutes will look like anyways. After seeing what they have done to Grunts/Jackals, I can't feel otherwise. Whatever they do, I hope Brutes aren't reskinned Elites gameplay-wise, as Brutes should behave and feel differently.

September Halo 3 Anniversary gets released with the full Halo 3 campaign remastered for Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, Blur cinematics and the multiplayer will be all the Halo 3 maps remade for Halo 5 something like Halo CEA, also including with the H3A release 343 launches Halo MCC 2.0 for PC and XBO all of this free for MCC owners

Your post was okay until the very last part with MCC v2.0. It's dead and it probably won't be touched ever again. You got to ask yourself these questions:

- Will 343i/MS Studios waste ressources again on a project that is pretty much an unsalvageable mess?
- Would releasing a MCC v2.0 make sense for both 343i and MS Studios from a business perspective?
- Will they hire an other dev to do that? Since it would be a 2017 release and Halo 6 will most likely release in 2018.
- What dev wants to be associated with the MCC, after all that happened?

Sanjuro

At this stage, it's like Marvel/Disney taking the new Fantastic Four film and making a sequel. MCC will forever remain one of the worst releases in the history of video games. I'm not really mad at anyone in particular, just ultimately remains a sad note.

I jump in every so often and play games still.

Sanjuro

That's the one. It gets a lot of hate but I like it.

I didn't hate it. Certainly need to play on it more than once. It's one of those maps where the lack of a solid color scheme hurt navigating the area for me, where White Cell works pretty great while remaining simplistic.

belushy

Banned
I bet they don't go big with Halo 3's anniversary. Maybe on that day they will release a free update with like three Halo 3 remake/remixes.

I just played on the Attacking side for the first time and my conclusion is you are bad. Map feels good on both sides. They actually changed the bases on this map to play differently, specially the 2nd base being the temple. Much more fun the the other maps.
"I played it once on attack and did well, the the map is good!"

It's much easier on defense. The armory spawns allow defenders to overlook all approach paths and also immediately jump back onto the well covered roof with ease. The core defense is laughably easy.

But no, you had a great personal game so the design must be good.

Map looks great though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there a consensus that the matchmaking in this game is total shit?

I just got matched against the same team *five* times in a row. They were mid Plats, I am mid Gold and got teamed up with mid Golds and Plat 1s.

They brought us the Gravity Hammer and the Brute Plasma Rifle
(quite interesting that it was the Brute variant now that we know this, isn't it?)
, so far. They don't neccessarily need Brute AI for Warzone, although A LOT people would probably love that. Adding Brutes will certainly be a complex task for 343i, if they ever decide to add them, since they never had them in their games.

I'm a little scared of how 343i's Brutes will look like anyways. After seeing what they have done to Grunts/Jackals, I can't feel otherwise. Whatever they do, I hope Brutes aren't reskinned Elites gameplay-wise, as Brutes should behave and feel differently.

The Gravity Hammer is a Halo sandbox staple, so that one doesn't surprise me. Am I mistaken in thinking the Brute Plasma Rifle hit with the same update that brought the Halo 2 BR? Those two really do go hand in hand in my memory.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that doesn't feel nearly as telling as creating all new, never before seen weapons.. these just aren't variants, they're literal canonical expansions that theoretically open a new faction of sandbox weaponry.

If 343 does bring Brutes into Halo 5/6 I do hope they basically play like their Halo 3 and ODST iterations. Damn, it would be nice to fight Brute packs again..

I really do appreciate the Brute Plasma Rifle in Arena, I use it a lot now. I thought it was a great addition to the sandbox that has a specific role it does well and it doesnt make other weapons redundant, and imo it isnt made redundant from the weapons that were already in the game either.

The core problems with Temple are the absolutely awful spawns at the first base, and the extremely enclosed core base. A halfway-decent team can post up a player or two to poke players trying to get into the armory, and anyone who dies at the first armory can be back at the base in a matter of seconds after spawning.

The second base is, as you said, perfectly fine. It's well-designed and leads to a lot of interesting engagements without being extremely frustrating. If Halo 5 had a KOTH mode, I wouldn't mind an Arena map being built out of that chunk of Temple. It seems like it'd actually play really well like that.

My main problem lies in the armory and core base, though. The core base in particular is structured in a way that the enemy team can very easily just spawn a few tanks and keep anyone out of the base. Unlike the other WZA maps, where the entrance to the core base is fairly open and allows for multiple angles of approach to the left and right doors, the base on Temple is positioned in a way that the only method of entry is at the bottom of a hill. There's no real position from where attackers can safely position themselves with sniper rifles or splasers to take out problematic players and vehicles. It's just badly designed.

I've won matches on Temple, but I never have fun with it. It's just a badly designed slog.

The enemy team wasn't exactly putting out a good show. You were matched up against some extraordinarily bad players. Not a good way to gauge the quality of the map.

I think every additional weapon that they have added has fit into the sandbox rather well, except the Halo CE Magnum because it is so strong that they haven't put it into a single 4 v 4 map it seems.

Is there a consensus that the matchmaking in this game is total shit?

I just got matched against the same team *five* times in a row. They were mid Plats, I am mid Gold and got teamed up with mid Golds and Plat 1s.

Yeah, it's pretty bad, but I'm tired of complaining about it. So whatever.

I think every additional weapon that they have added has fit into the sandbox rather well, except the Halo CE Magnum because it is so strong that they haven't put it into a single 4 v 4 map it seems.

I feel like it'd do fairly well as a power weapon, granted only if it has no reserve ammo (like the SAW).

Does AF even work in this? at 16x it really doesn't seem better than the AF on Xbone

You can try forcing it through driver profiles. I used them to force fastsync, and it's made the game a lot more playable. Better mouse response, less tearing.

Trup1aya

Hmm I actually like the new Assualt map. I think their plan was to have each round get progressively harder for attackers.

It seems like the first base is stacked in favor of the attackers, because it's pretty easy to get around and flank the defenders spawn.

The second base seems like it's stacked in favor of the defenders, but just barely. Never the less, it's a fun play space... Probably the most fun on any WZ map so far.

The final bases seems to play out just like on every other map.

They killed it by making it hitscan. What a terrible decision.

To my knowledge, they never stated why they did this either.

They killed it by making it hitscan. What a terrible decision.

To my knowledge, they never stated why they did this either.

They should make the Halo CE Magnum and lower it to legendary not hitscan and then make a new mythic variant called Keyes' Magnum that is this hitscan one

op_ivy

For the first time ever I have a massive backlog of high quality anticipated games: doom, alien isolation, deus ex, and mirrors edge. all because halo 5 is still do damn good. I just can't get enough of this. Anytime I have to game I'd rather play this than anything else. Kudos 343.

Chittagong

Gold Member
For the first time ever I have a massive backlog of high quality anticipated games: doom, alien isolation, deus ex, and mirrors edge. all because halo 5 is still do damn good. I just can't get enough of this. Anytime I have to game I'd rather play this than anything else. Kudos 343.

Haha, I'm with you. I begrudgingly forced myself to complete Uncharted 4.

Top Bottom